Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies

Happy

Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #960 on: March 04, 2013, 11:36:07 AM »
Jordan will go to UCLA. Sampson and Obekpa will return. Carrington will choose SJU

Heard the same regarding $Jordan.. but keep hearing Carrington will choose UCONN.

I'm not Carrington's biggest fan.. but if true i guess you can't turn down a city kid who wants to be here.

« Reply #961 on: March 04, 2013, 01:09:15 PM »
I like Carrington. Haven't seen him play this fall/winter but this past summer he caught my eye. Similar build to Jordan but not as explosive
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #962 on: March 04, 2013, 01:50:45 PM »
Remember the post I had a few pages back with this quote from Kamal Yard in the scout.com article.  Assuming his choice is UCLA it almost seems like he let the cat out of the bag perhaps unknowingly with this quote:

Nothing new but this quote by Yard was interesting:

“He’s going to wait and see what is going on with the coaching situation,” Yard added.

I assume he means Howland because of the 3 he is the only one even remotely in doubt and assuming UCLA safely makes the NCAA my guess is he is coming back next year as well.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:51:18 PM by fordham96 »

crgreen

« Reply #963 on: March 04, 2013, 04:24:44 PM »
I haven't watched more than 5 minutes of UCLA basketball this year, but based on the current roster, I don't see the opportunity for Rysheed.  UCLA has several guards getting substantial minutes and making contributions:
  Jordan Adams: 6'5" Freshman guard, 15.0 ppg in about 30 minutes a game.
  Norman Powell: 6'4" Sophomore guard, 6.0 ppg in about 20 minutes a game.
  Larry Drew II: 6'2" Senior guard, 7.3 ppg in about about 35 minutes a game.

I guess Rysheed can hope to get all of Drew's mnutes.  I suppose all of the current players except Shabazz are looking to take those minutes as are any other signed recruits.

UCLA also has Kyle Anderson who was a point guard in high school and now has been converted to a point forward.  Maybe he wants to slide back to a shooting guard?

Rysheed appears to be more of a 'shoot first' point guard, rather than a 'pass first' point guard.  I am far from an expert on the subject, but it seems UCLA would be better served by a 'pass first' guard.  Who knows, maybe this is how the contenders reload?

None of the other guards can play point, except Kyle Anderson, who's the starting Power Forward (and has locked up being the #2 freshman REBOUNDER in UCLA history at over 9 a game, behind only Kevin Love).  There are 40 minutes of PG time available.   The Bruins are trying to bring in 2 pgs this spring (also looking at JCs to balance the class), and 2 bigs.

As for shoot first/pass first, UCLA has had success with both.     Jordan Farmar was a 29 pt high school scorer.   Russell Westbrook certainly is perceived as a shoot first - but he also dished 160 assists.   Jrue Holiday was a shoot first, Darren Collison a pass first, who HAPPENED to also be the best shooter on 3 final four teams.   Malcolm Lee was a combo.   Larry Drew is certainly a "pass first" this year - But he's also 3rd in the Pac 12 in 3pt % at 43% heading into the final week of the season.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:34:32 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #964 on: March 05, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »
Howland getting confirmation of obvious out there early. Lose one star and get another like Jordan, envious!

""I'm very much a realist now," Howland said. "I knew going into this deal that this was a one-year deal, and it should be. He's a lottery pick. He's a top-five pick. When you have that going for you, it is absolutely the right thing."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9009365/shabazz-muhammad-ucla-bruins-head-nba-according-ben-howland

Kyle's father sounds like Kyle wants to spend another year in Westwood:

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/leaning-498214-says-anderson.html

kob24

« Reply #965 on: March 05, 2013, 04:09:52 PM »
Carrington is nice. I'm a believer. Get a consistent jump shop and u have a real problem

« Reply #966 on: March 05, 2013, 04:44:32 PM »
Howland getting confirmation of obvious out there early. Lose one star and get another like Jordan, envious!

""I'm very much a realist now," Howland said. "I knew going into this deal that this was a one-year deal, and it should be. He's a lottery pick. He's a top-five pick. When you have that going for you, it is absolutely the right thing."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9009365/shabazz-muhammad-ucla-bruins-head-nba-according-ben-howland

Please, this kid isn't even close to be ready. The father needs to take the blinders off.

MCNPA

« Reply #967 on: March 05, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »

Please, this kid isn't even close to be ready. The father needs to take the blinders off.

Problem is the with his lack of athleticism, I don't see his game suddenly taking off and making him more of an NBA commodity.  He's good for sure.  Doesn't change the limitations he will have.  Kid like him has to work on becoming a deadeye shooter ala Larry Bird if he is going to convince NBA teams that he has enough athleticism to play both ways as a wing or guard in the nba.  Is two more years at ucla going to make ts kid more ready?  Not sure.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #968 on: March 05, 2013, 05:45:16 PM »
Wow what a surprise.... Lavin not gonna land another one of his targets...

« Reply #969 on: March 05, 2013, 05:48:14 PM »
Anyone else starting to get just a bit worried about recruiting? This is supposed to be Lavin's #1 skill...this is what he's known for, and 2 local can't miss recruits walk away. I really think we need to start landing the Lawrence's, McCollugh's, Jordan's if we are to take this program to the next level. I know we don't really need many recruits because we have a ton of guys right now, but I really hope Lavin doesn't keep laying eggs recruiting wise. We can get good talent, but not top 10 or 15 guys who really change programs. That must change.

« Reply #970 on: March 05, 2013, 06:08:30 PM »

Can't get 'em all.

« Reply #971 on: March 05, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »
Uh, he's just recruited two back-to-back BE rookie of the years.
But trolls gonna troll.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #972 on: March 05, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »
Anyone else starting to get just a bit worried about recruiting? This is supposed to be Lavin's #1 skill...this is what he's known for, and 2 local can't miss recruits walk away. I really think we need to start landing the Lawrence's, McCollugh's, Jordan's if we are to take this program to the next level. I know we don't really need many recruits because we have a ton of guys right now, but I really hope Lavin doesn't keep laying eggs recruiting wise. We can get good talent, but not top 10 or 15 guys who really change programs. That must change.

No. We've secured top 75 kids every year under Lavin and now have a full roster.

crgreen

« Reply #973 on: March 05, 2013, 06:14:51 PM »

Since at the moment we have no scholarships to give, no, not that worried that he hasn't signed anyone.   I look at it as the ride we thought we had to give is going to an extremely talented "one and done" next year in Sanchez.   We need bigs, we need shooters.   We add Sanchez, Gift and Hooper next year.    Another PG would be nice, but Branch will be very good and Phil is "serviceable" as a backup.   And there are a lot of GREAT 2014 PGs out there.   

« Reply #974 on: March 05, 2013, 06:45:44 PM »
A little unrelated, but I'm curious.

I know our monster class Lavin's first year was really quite amazing. Having those kind of quality kids commit. That also coincided with our best year, we were all over espn, ranked, beating some very good teams down the stretch.

How many kids committed during/after the season?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:46:08 PM by chronicbucks »

« Reply #975 on: March 05, 2013, 06:48:19 PM »

Can't get 'em all.

unless you're Calipari and Kentucky  :P

Moose

« Reply #976 on: March 05, 2013, 06:49:38 PM »

I know our monster class Lavin's first year was really quite amazing. Having those kind of quality kids commit. That also coincided with our best year, we were all over espn, ranked, beating some very good teams down the stretch.

That first class everyone committed prior to the season except for Phil and Gift. Phil committed in January after one of our wins.  Forgot which one.  Gift after the year.

So the success had minimal impact.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:50:13 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #977 on: March 05, 2013, 06:49:44 PM »

Teams that win sign better players.  I think there was certainly a connection.  We were all over ESPN and talked about all year knocking of top 25 teams left and right.  We'll be that good again next year.

Moose

« Reply #978 on: March 05, 2013, 06:50:43 PM »

Teams that win sign better players.  I think there was certainly a connection.  We were all over ESPN and talked about all year knocking of top 25 teams left and right.  We'll be that good again next year.

But again we had pretty much the whole class wrapped before the ball was even tipped.
Remember who broke the Slice news

DFF6

« Reply #979 on: March 05, 2013, 06:55:15 PM »
Uh, he's just recruited two back-to-back BE rookie of the years.
But trolls gonna troll.

Great response!