Pelle, Sampson, Garrett Ruled Ineligible for Fall

• 266 replies
Re: Pelle, Sampson, Garrett Ruled Ineligible for Fall
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2011, 02:45:36 PM »
First , all of these Giants injuries and now hearing about this news about SJU really put a damper on this month.

Just hope for the best for these young men and hope it is at SJU. I hope Jakarr stays loyal that is important to us New Yorkers No Ohio Lebron easy way out.Stay with the staff who put in the effort & in return NY will show you love like no other place in the USA!

I know Rico thought about Suiting up for SJU a Year early is that still a possibility with this week being that last week for late registration?
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2011, 02:47:33 PM »
If it it were up to me, and if it were possible, I would cut all ties and communication with these kids, kindly show them the door, and never welcome them back.  I don't know all the details of their ineligibility, but if they don't have the smarts or discipline to make themselves eligible, I don't want them associated with this university at all.  It's absolutely embarrassing.
this post is absolutely embarassing.  really, really embarassing.

Sorry but I can't have a pity party for a group of men who can't seem to get their sh*t together.....thousands and thousands, if not millions, of college students have no trouble making themselves eligible every year, why couldn't these kids?

NCAA has certain core requirements for classes that must be taken and how many in particular subjects.  You can graduate from H.S. and be accepted into college without meeting these core requirements.  If it is indeed one particular class they needed to make up their core requirements for eligibility, it did not keep them from being able to be accepted as students here or possibly other schools.

So is it kind of like the Matt Leinart situation his senior year at USC, when he took a ballroom dancing class?   For example, say these kids needed 30 credits their senior year to graduate, but like 3 of them were for classes that didn't matter or count for anything with the NCAA (aka ballroom dancing)??

Not the same thing.  NCAA requires in-coming freshmen to have taken, completed and passed the following  16 core courses in order to be eligible to participate in DI:

4 years of English.
3 years of mathematics (Algebra I or higher).
2 years of natural/physical science (1 year of lab if offered by high school).
1 year of additional English, mathematics or natural/physical science.
2 years of social science.
4 years of additional courses (from any area above, foreign language or nondoctrinal religion/philosophy).

I have been told that the problems sometimes arise in the 4th item, students take the bear minimum and miss the 1 year additional for either English, math or science.  Or they take a course that the NCAA determines does not fit the criteria.  I don't know what the situation here is.

As for Leinhart, I believe he had completed his degree requirements and took an elective so he could play (and took a presumely easy one at that).
Bears have a minimum too? That darn NC2A....

« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »
Here's a funny quote by a BB poster to lighten things up a bit:

"Coach Lavin actually had the players take their own tests?  nice person"

~ Coach Calipari

Seriously, this is me being bitter but how is it possible Kentucky's monster classes never have this problem but we do?
the answer was in that joke of a quote...truth in jest I guess

« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »
It’s unfortunate that this has happened but the fact that it’s a NCAA clearing house issue bolds well for us. If it is only 3 classes at most for these kids to qualify, nothing in the program’s environment has changed that would suggest they would want to go elsewhere. Second semester is only 3-4 months away, if however, they need to reclassify to 2012, then I would be a little worried about that. Let’s take it easy on these young men folks; they are after all young men, who by the way committed to restoring pride back to our basketball program. That should count for something.
Bright side is since they're not enrolled in the fall. they need to take less classes than a full Frosh course load, thereby allowing the guys to train and practice on their own more.   ;D

redslope

« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2011, 02:57:18 PM »
lost 3 but have SIX incoming that are eligible.  one could say the glass is 2/3's full.  the Goodman article cited above is realistic.  there was concern as to how you keep all 9 happy with PT.  no one thought National Champion this year but everyone hoped that the class would be the core to build on.  with fewer players, it might mean more PT which equals better development and happier players.  people discussed who would transfer from the nine which was a real possibility with lack of PT.  this might be  a Godsend ans it could lead to better scholarship distribution as 7 freshman in one class was overloading the basket in my opinion.

lighten up and enjoy those that are here; hope for the best for those that did not make the grade.

Poison

« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2011, 03:03:22 PM »
I could care less if any one of the 3 plays 5 seconds of basketball until they are eligible.
The only thing they should be picking up now is a book.

SJUFAN

« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2011, 03:03:59 PM »
I dont understand how that school in Phily could give all A"s out to all three students who had academic problems. No wonder a red flag was waived. .I wonder what would have happened if they all got C"S.

Perhaps they earned it. But in all seriousness, unless the NCAA can show cause that these grades were not earned or that there were some types of wrong doing, how can they not recognize the grades? It is baffling to me. If this is an accredited school, the NCAA has a lot of balls to arbitrarily not accept the grades these kids earned, while accepting the classes/grades other players received, without showing cause. The top conferences just need to break away from the NCAA.   

« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2011, 03:41:02 PM »
Maybe one day America's minor-league basketball system wont have anytin to do wit institutions of higher learnin.

Maybe.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

DFF6

« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2011, 03:43:03 PM »
I could care less if any one of the 3 plays 5 seconds of basketball until they are eligible.

:up:

« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2011, 03:46:05 PM »

:up:
And when they look winded for two weeks after their 1st practice, many will say they're out of shape and dogging it  :tickedoff:

pmg911

« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2011, 04:04:25 PM »
Maybe one day America's minor-league basketball system wont have anytin to do wit institutions of higher learnin.

And then you will have even fewer young people today without opportunities to go to college and get a free education

LJSA

« Reply #151 on: September 16, 2011, 04:26:29 PM »

Not the same thing.  NCAA requires in-coming freshmen to have taken, completed and passed the following  16 core courses in order to be eligible to participate in DI:

4 years of English.
3 years of mathematics (Algebra I or higher).
2 years of natural/physical science (1 year of lab if offered by high school).
1 year of additional English, mathematics or natural/physical science.
2 years of social science.
4 years of additional courses (from any area above, foreign language or nondoctrinal religion/philosophy).

I have been told that the problems sometimes arise in the 4th item, students take the bear minimum and miss the 1 year additional for either English, math or science.  Or they take a course that the NCAA determines does not fit the criteria.  I don't know what the situation here is.

As for Leinhart, I believe he had completed his degree requirements and took an elective so he could play (and took a presumely easy one at that).

Maybe if high schools were mandatory four years of English, history, science, math, a language, and gym, I wouldn't have to share the streets with so many dopey, lazy kids. But I guess that doesn't have much to do with the NCAA.

« Reply #152 on: September 16, 2011, 04:33:10 PM »

And then you will have even fewer young people today without opportunities to go to college and get a free education

And then you will have more young people being justly compensated for their talents like y'all free market advocates stress.

Cartman slave...I mean, student athlete owner
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

kob24

« Reply #153 on: September 16, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »
laughing my #$%^in ass off. that shit was toooooo funny

Marillac

« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »
These kids are Johnnies. Let's show them support on here and social media. If I am a teenager and I read the stuff some of you are writing about these kids, I'd think about going elsewhere.  Let's get the young men on campus and use it going forward.

« Reply #155 on: September 16, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »
These kids are Johnnies. Let's show them support on here and social media. If I am a teenager and I read the stuff some of you are writing about these kids, I'd think about going elsewhere.  Let's get the young men on campus and use it going forward.
Yep.  I've already written some uplifting, positive comments to support the guys. Maybe JaKarr is until next year, but we really should hope Norvel gets it done.  He seems in good spirits - I just hope he can now get solid advice on how to proceed to get to Spring enrollment.  Some of you have met the guys in person, but I haven't.  But they do seem like solid, young men who will represent the University well and make us proud.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:42:04 PM by bball purist »

dR3w

« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2011, 05:06:54 PM »

Technically, their LOI's are null and void, so they are not Johnnies, although I hope that they will be someday.

Foad

« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2011, 05:14:14 PM »
And then you will have more young people being justly compensated for their talents like y'all free market advocates stress.

Part of the problem is exactly that there is no free market. If there were, and Norvell Pelle or whoever grew dreaming of being a BB player he'd be allowed to play professionally at whatever age he wanted whenever and wherever he wanted, subject to the same child labor laws as everyone else. Instead, the nanny state and the NBA and NCAA collude to restrain him from doing for money what he's good at doing in order to protect their own financial interests, and instead force him to go to college and take a bunch of classes about a bunch of stuff about which he probably doesn't care and which will likely help him not at all over the course of the rest of his life. The fact is that most people don't need to go to college and don't learn anything while they're there - it's just another 4 years of government mandated and government subsidized propaganda, at the end of which the student graduates no smarter than he was when he got there and 50K or 100K in debt to boot. Let's face it: most people are too stupid to learn and most jobs so mind numbing that you don't need any specialized skill to do them that you couldn't learn through a 6 month apprenticeship. Whereas if Pelle went to the NBA or the D League or Poland and played ball for 10 years he could pursue his education time permitting, at his own pace, in his own time, pay as you go, or not at all if he didn't want to, and if he ended up working in a gas station for the rest of his life, shurg. It's not like a phy ed degree from SJU would have vaulted him into the corridors of power.

No one tells a music student who's on scholarship that he can't make money playing in a band, or an art scholarship student that he can't make money painting, or a computer student that he can't work at the I store. In most cases that kind of iniative is encouraged and rewarded. It's only athletes who are indentured in exchange for their "education," most of which is a crock of excrement anyway.

Marillac

« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2011, 05:14:50 PM »
I want to see all three here. Sampson is such a key ingredient to an athletic and versatile team.  His talents could be highlighted in our system.

« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »

Part of the problem is exactly that there is no free market. If there were, and Norvell Pelle or whoever grew dreaming of being a BB player he'd be allowed to play professionally at whatever age he wanted whenever and wherever he wanted, subject to the same child labor laws as everyone else. Instead, the nanny state and the NBA and NCAA collude to restrain him from doing for money what he's good at doing in order to protect their own financial interests, and instead force him to go to college and take a bunch of classes about a bunch of stuff about which he probably doesn't care and which will likely help him not at all over the course of the rest of his life. The fact is that most people don't need to go to college and don't learn anything while they're there - it's just another 4 years of government mandated and government subsidized propaganda, at the end of which the student graduates no smarter than he was when he got there and 50K or 100K in debt to boot. Let's face it: most people are too stupid to learn and most jobs so mind numbing that you don't need any specialized skill to do them that you couldn't learn through a 6 month apprenticeship. Whereas if Pelle went to the NBA or the D League or Poland and played ball for 10 years he could pursue his education time permitting, at his own pace, in his own time, pay as you go, or not at all if he didn't want to, and if he ended up working in a gas station for the rest of his life, shurg. It's not like a phy ed degree from SJU would have vaulted him into the corridors of power.

No one tells a music student who's on scholarship that he can't make money playing in a band, or an art scholarship student that he can't make money painting, or a computer student that he can't work at the I store. In most cases that kind of iniative is encouraged and rewarded. It's only athletes who are indentured in exchange for their "education," most of which is a crock of excrement anyway.
Then your analysis begs the question: Why did Walter Berry go back to school to complete his degree? In addition, did you see him beaming in graduation photos? Priceless. I was touched by the photos and discussion on this board.

According to your take, Walter was wasting his time.  While I appreciate you speaking on the value of a college degree of questionable content for today's athletes, I would not be so quick to paint it with a such a broad stroke of your brush.  There's enough of a percentage of student athletes in basketball and football (I'm guessing those are your two hot button sports) that make use of their degree after their playing days are over.  While cases that you discussed are certainly there, there are many cases of accomplishment after obtaining a college degree. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 05:50:01 PM by bball purist »