Northeastern - Game Thread

• 193 replies
Re: Northeastern - Game Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »
Bill Self at Kansas should get fired for also bringing in 3 ineligible players while were at it

Yup, plus you have to take risks when you have so many scholarships. You do not want bad players just because you cannot get anymore of the safe top players.

« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2011, 06:21:38 PM »
Bill Self at Kansas should get fired for also bringing in 3 ineligible players while were at it

Yup, plus you have to take risks when you have so many scholarships. You do not want bad players just because you cannot get anymore of the safe top players.

We brought in great talent and will continue to bring in great talent. Those risk were with it. Realistically, we aren't/weren't going to make a deep tournament run this year. How ever we brought in great building blocks and have built a foundation for St. Johns basketball. We will get better as the season progresses.

« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »

We brought in great talent and will continue to bring in great talent. Those risk were with it. Realistically, we aren't/weren't going to make a deep tournament run this year. How ever we brought in great building blocks and have built a foundation for St. Johns basketball. We will get better as the season progresses.

Well said.

With that said, dont be down too much on this game. If anything its one game in a season.

Have a great weekend everyone.

« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2011, 06:27:52 PM »

Well said.

With that said, dont be down too much on this game. If anything its one game in a season.

Have a great weekend everyone.

I dont think that people are down however, it just magnifies what our weaknesees are.  This will be a learning year for the youngins...  but in terms of deep tourney run..... there wont be any tourney run.

« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2011, 06:30:13 PM »
3 wins in the Big East

« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »
3 wins in the Big East

ill take that bet baldi
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2011, 07:23:32 PM »
3 wins in the Big East

Please tell me that was a joke

« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2011, 07:27:54 PM »

paultzman

« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2011, 07:40:35 PM »
No apologies for staff, brought here to turn things around. Last year was solid, but filling nine spots in one year is unheard of. That said, Coach Lavin rolled the dice on a few kids academically and lost. Still too early to judge if Lavin can get program back on an annually competitive track. My guess is he will, but let's accept that this year will be painful. Next year if we are not consistent, respected and growing, then bitching may be in order. From a marketing perspective, Lavin has clearly gained some respectability for the program, garnered more media attention and made recruits at least think of SJU. If offered those accomplishments two years ago, I would have taken that bet. Let's let things play out and see if this staff can put us on the path to permanent competitiveness.

« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2011, 07:41:35 PM »

« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2011, 07:48:09 PM »
2006-2007 UCONN is a prime example of why no conclusions should be drawn based on this season.  They didn't even make the NIT that year with a really young team.  The next year they finished 3rd in the Big East and the following year they made the final four.  Even Calhoun who is a Hall of Fame coach misses the tourney with a young team once every four or five years, look at his wikipedia page to see for yourself.  This is our rebuilding year, I have no doubt that we will be a consistent winner for years to come.  Boeheim's career has followed the same trend.  In a conference such as ours, sustained eliteness is impossible to come by.

« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »
You guys are crazy. First Lavin is the second coming of JC now people are basically calling for his head. What's wrong with you guys. This is a young , talented team that is undersized and will eventually be a dangerous team at the end of the year. Be patient and chill out for goodness sake. Lavin is still the man.

desco80

« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2011, 09:33:47 PM »
We didn't lose today because of recruiting mishaps or anything Norm did.   Everyone needs to divorce that problem from a game today.   Even with our lack of depth and height there's still no way we should lose today.

The offensive looks downright pathetic.  I don't blame the staff when we miss foul shots, but when the ball isn't getting to players flashing into the lane, or on back-door cuts... that's poor execution and preparation.
This team needs to learn their sets; and what to look for on the floor.  That's not a result of anyone being ineligible; this lineup, if properly prepared, should beat Northeastern by 15. 

I have a feeling the hammer will drop in practice this week.  And it's going to happen at just the right time.  You gotta expect the coaches to be blasting the team all week with reminders that if they play this way against Kentucky they'll lose by 30, and it won't be on ESPN3 - everyone they know will notice.

« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2011, 10:00:37 PM »
Any real St. John's fan has been through a lot of disappointing seasons for a very long time now. Therefore, I can understand that some people are impatient when it comes to winning. However, calling for Lavin to be fired with only one year of results is ridiculous IMO. From the beginning, he has been telling fans that he believes we won't be on the level everyone expects us to be at for at least 2-3 years (with his guys).

Now someone who is negative might argue with me that his cancer situation might push us back even further in time. My rebuttal would be to give the guy this year to see if he recovers or not before writing him off. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 10:01:20 PM by Johnny4Life »

Dan

« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2011, 10:44:52 PM »
Barring improvement (which I think will occur over the course of the season), this is going to be a long season.  Even with the improvement that we will see, it's going to be very very rough.  Barely beating two weak teams to open and then getting routed by Northeastern...not a good sign.  I expected this from a team this young though, hopefully they will show some resilience.

« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2011, 12:38:40 AM »
You are allowed 13 schollie players-we have 7-barely half a team. Hope you dreamers out there received your wake-up call, your reality check. Not blaming staff or players for our current situation. Believe we have a bright future it is just the see everything through rose colored glasses crowd that bugs me. Talk of NC or deep NCAA tourney runs-unfortunately see many beat downs ahead for us this year against the legit teams we will be playing. Let's take it like men, keep playing hard, strive to improve and hopefully next year we will have a full complement of players and we can kick some butt (hopefully with Mr Gathers).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 12:39:32 AM by Celtics11 »

boo3

« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2011, 12:42:16 AM »
 This board has gone to shit......

boo3

« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2011, 12:49:31 AM »
 anyone with half of a brain knew this was going to be a long year.

The posters that are crying and moaning clearly had expectations that were out of whack. 

Not to mention our coach hasn't even been around due to cancer surgery and treatment!  get your heads out of your asses... some of you are complete nice persons.....

MCNPA

« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2011, 12:52:24 AM »

« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2011, 01:02:57 AM »
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:03:14 AM by Johnny4Life »