Northeastern - Game Thread

• 193 replies

boo3

Re: Northeastern - Game Thread
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2011, 01:14:53 PM »
" That's practice and preparation.  Plain and simple. "

Desco-  don't you think that the practice and preparation aspect of this team has been a bit disrupted this season?  Just a little.....

desco80

« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2011, 01:42:17 PM »

Desco-  don't you think that the practice and preparation aspect of this team has been a bit disrupted this season?  Just a little.....

Agreed Boo.  I was just saying after a loss like that it's wrong to blame the old staff for leaving us short-handed.  We still had the horses to win that game.   But you're right, there's no question practices haven't been as consistent as we'd all like.  Nothing we can do about that, let's just hope coach is recovering and not facing any setbacks.

« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2011, 01:44:15 PM »
I think everyday that passes it gets more unlikely thatwe'll see Pelle or Gathers here, that's just me

Redstorm212,You say you understand why we are in this situation. Do tell

Because Lavin had a team full of 9 seniors, he had to replace all of them. He did it by recruiting top 50 talent for the 2011 class. Nobody except the backup PG has D1 experience. To expect us to be a great team NOW is just not realistic. Let them get a season under their belt first.

I think that's a cop-out.  We didn't lose to Northeastern because we play 7 guys.  Or because our center is only 6'8.   I'm realistic and I know the staff can only do so much this season with a limited roster, so if we lose games like the ones to Arizona or A&M, or later in BE play - then, yes! That's not the staff's fault.  A deeper bench and bigger frontcourt could make the difference in those games.

But we should still be Northeastern with the squad we have.   The offense is sloppy and the guys still aren't spacing properly and rotating quickly enough on shooters.   That's practice and preparation.  Plain and simple.   God knows we Norm lost us a ton of games; but we didn't lose yesterday because of Norm - the players and staff lost that game.

Things will get better.   But there are times when the team comes out flat and looks like they haven't practiced an offensive set in a week.   That happened yesterday.

You're right, we should've beaten Northeastern. But to say the loss had nothing to do with Lavin having to rebuild the entire roster with players with 0 D1 experience is just stupid. If we're losing to Northeastern next year and beyond then we have problems. But this team is just going to get better and better.

Don't be that fan who blames the coaching staff after a couple bad losses. Remember, how did we all feel last year losing back to back games to St. Bonnies and Fordham? Much like last years team, these players are learning an entirely new system. We have good players, just need to be patient and let them develop. We were a pair of free throws away from beating a top 25 team, lets not forget that. It's not as if this team hasn't shown promise.

Poison

« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »
Gift was the only guy with a clue in the second half. He came alive. Lindsay and Harkless were awful. Lindsay kept dribbling into traffic like Felipe Lopez used to. Harkless kept putting the ball on the floor at the top of the key. It was ugly. Harrison just missed his shots. Nothing more.

boo3

« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2011, 02:05:47 PM »

Agreed Boo.  I was just saying after a loss like that it's wrong to blame the old staff for leaving us short-handed.  We still had the horses to win that game.   But you're right, there's no question practices haven't been as consistent as we'd all like.  Nothing we can do about that, let's just hope coach is recovering and not facing any setbacks.

I agree with you. This is the team we have to go with this season. Hopefully Garrett comes aboard in Dec.  I don't see the point in regurgitating Norm's ineptness continuously either.  Sure, he left the program in a bad spot, but lets move on. 

« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2011, 02:22:08 PM »
I guess you guys are happy with what's going on this year? And I'm not talking about 2 years from now

People got to settle down, Norm left this program a shambles. Yeah its gonna be a long season with hopefully an NIT bid. Even if not let the kids play and get some run under their belts. Lesson learned yesterday is play smart, its not a one man show , and you need to play 100% the whole time. Ive been a fan since George Johnson as a little kids and have seem Looies teams play stinkers like that one, aka against GT at MSG i forget the year ( i was there and we had like 9 points at half). Just support the kids, show up and make noise and they are a fun bunch to watch.

btw Baldi ill take the over on the 3 wins too.

« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2011, 02:54:24 PM »
The other issue to take away from this game, that has been and will be the problem for the rest of the year is that any team that can shoot the three effectively will be an issue. NE shot around 50% yesterday...it's hard to win with those type of numbers...If we can beat the teams that we are supposed to beat I do not think we will be any worst heading into the BE from last year. There will be plenty of opportunities to make up for this bad loss, but th at is going to be a lot more difficult this year then last year.

Good post. Problem is that Northeastern was not a good 3 pt shooting team coming into the game.  It seems that we bring out the best in other teams 3 pt shooting percentage.   Switching to man to man, while it may be more effective,  will end up hurting us because of lack of depth and the potential for even more foul trouble.  The proverbial catch-22.

Baldi-  no one is happy with a loss like yesterdays ( except you, of course). This team will beat a few teams they aren't supposed to this year as well.   This group and coaching staff have been through a lot so far this season.  There is a lot more learning and coaching to do, which is obvious.  However, to start having panic attacks and questioning the direction of the program at this junction is dumb.

Maybe we bring out the best in teams shooting three pointers because OUR ZONE DEFENSE SUCKS   EVEN C W POST SHOT WELL AGAINST US.  The reason why the Cuse's zone defense is usually effective is cause their wing players are BIG.  We start three guards.  Sometimes you have to look at your personnel and adjust.  I would rather play a tough man to man defense and risk losing, since we are going to lose anyway with this bunch, and develop these kids. 

« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2011, 02:55:47 PM »
Gift was the only guy with a clue in the second half. He came alive. Lindsay and Harkless were awful. Lindsay kept dribbling into traffic like Felipe Lopez used to. Harkless kept putting the ball on the floor at the top of the key. It was ugly. Harrison just missed his shots. Nothing more.

True but the biggest kid on Northeastern was only about 6'7", I would think that gift should have a good day.

« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2011, 03:23:39 PM »
The other issue to take away from this game, that has been and will be the problem for the rest of the year is that any team that can shoot the three effectively will be an issue. NE shot around 50% yesterday...it's hard to win with those type of numbers...If we can beat the teams that we are supposed to beat I do not think we will be any worst heading into the BE from last year. There will be plenty of opportunities to make up for this bad loss, but th at is going to be a lot more difficult this year then last year.

Good post. Problem is that Northeastern was not a good 3 pt shooting team coming into the game.  It seems that we bring out the best in other teams 3 pt shooting percentage.   Switching to man to man, while it may be more effective,  will end up hurting us because of lack of depth and the potential for even more foul trouble.  The proverbial catch-22.

Baldi-  no one is happy with a loss like yesterdays ( except you, of course). This team will beat a few teams they aren't supposed to this year as well.   This group and coaching staff have been through a lot so far this season.  There is a lot more learning and coaching to do, which is obvious.  However, to start having panic attacks and questioning the direction of the program at this junction is dumb.

Maybe we bring out the best in teams shooting three pointers because OUR ZONE DEFENSE SUCKS   EVEN C W POST SHOT WELL AGAINST US.  The reason why the Cuse's zone defense is usually effective is cause their wing players are BIG.  We start three guards.  Sometimes you have to look at your personnel and adjust.  I would rather play a tough man to man defense and risk losing, since we are going to lose anyway with this bunch, and develop these kids. 

I agree our zone gives up way to many open shots. But if you are giving up this year, why not give up this year why developing the zone? It seems thats what the coaches want to see going forward, plus we will get bigger and longer with more addition which will then take away some of those shots just as Cuse is able to which you alluded to
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »

I think everyday that passes it gets more unlikely thatwe'll see Pelle or Gathers here, that's just me

Redstorm212,You say you understand why we are in this situation. Do tell

Because Lavin had a team full of 9 seniors, he had to replace all of them. He did it by recruiting top 50 talent for the 2011 class. Nobody except the backup PG has D1 experience. To expect us to be a great team NOW is just not realistic. Let them get a season under their belt first.

I think that's a cop-out.  We didn't lose to Northeastern because we play 7 guys.  Or because our center is only 6'8.   I'm realistic and I know the staff can only do so much this season with a limited roster, so if we lose games like the ones to Arizona or A&M, or later in BE play - then, yes! That's not the staff's fault.  A deeper bench and bigger frontcourt could make the difference in those games.

But we should still be Northeastern with the squad we have.   The offense is sloppy and the guys still aren't spacing properly and rotating quickly enough on shooters.   That's practice and preparation.  Plain and simple.   God knows we Norm lost us a ton of games; but we didn't lose yesterday because of Norm - the players and staff lost that game.

Things will get better.   But there are times when the team comes out flat and looks like they haven't practiced an offensive set in a week.   That happened yesterday.

You're right, we should've beaten Northeastern. But to say the loss had nothing to do with Lavin having to rebuild the entire roster with players with 0 D1 experience is just stupid. If we're losing to Northeastern next year and beyond then we have problems. But this team is just going to get better and better.

Don't be that fan who blames the coaching staff after a couple bad losses. Remember, how did we all feel last year losing back to back games to St. Bonnies and Fordham? Much like last years team, these players are learning an entirely new system. We have good players, just need to be patient and let them develop. We were a pair of free throws away from beating a top 25 team, lets not forget that. It's not as if this team hasn't shown promise.

I'm not jumping on the coaching staff alone - I think it was somewhat obvious the players overlooked Northeastern as well.   My point was just that we have enough talent, depth, size etc to beat an America East team handily.  And after a loss to Northeastern my initial reaction isn't to say "F#8c&ing Norm!  Left us with 9 scholarships to fill !"  My thoughts are more along the lines of  "Hey guys, this isn't AAU ball anymore - pick it up in practice!"
But I'm in agreement with you that there is an inevitable learning curve.  And I was pointing out that same example of St Bonnies and Fordham to my brother when we were at the game yesterday.  We looked awful against them in November/December, but by late January the guys had picked up the system and were much more efficient on both ends of the floor.  I think that happens again this season.

I'm not expecting the world this season, but I'd like to see the team improve as they get more comfortable with the system.  And I really don't think they looked well prepared for NE.   I'm sure they'll have a different attitude when they take the court at Rupp though!

Tha Kid

« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2011, 04:26:01 PM »
I guess you guys are happy with what's going on this year? And I'm not talking about 2 years from now

You were happy w our teams under norm....what bugs you abt this team so much moreso than norms teams?  Other than the obvious fact that this team is way more talented, lavin was forced to bring in all newcomers, and you arent a true johnnies fan so u like when we are mediocre without hope to improve, but wanna raise hell when we are mediocre but gonna be awesome in the near future?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 04:27:00 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2011, 04:54:40 PM »

You were happy w our teams under norm....what bugs you abt this team so much moreso than norms teams?  Other than the obvious fact that this team is way more talented, lavin was forced to bring in all newcomers, and you arent a true johnnies fan so u like when we are mediocre without hope to improve, but wanna raise hell when we are mediocre but gonna be awesome in the near future?

If you thought Norms guys were so bad, than isnt a good thing that there was 9 scholarships to use? Lavin signed great recruits, top 100 kids. Great, but they had trouble with Lehigh and just got smoked by a Northeastern team with probably 0 top 500 kids at home. And dont bring up that they kept it close with Ariz and A&M, a loss is a loss, oh and also home games. This team is going to be good in a few years and Im expecting more than a few more ass beatings especially from Big East teams. But beatings like this are brutal with the talent we have. Hopefully there werent any recruits in the stands

And arent you a Duke fan? So go blow your horn somewhere else
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 04:55:46 PM by Marco Baldi »

boo3

« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2011, 05:08:06 PM »

If you thought Norms guys were so bad, than isnt a good thing that there was 9 scholarships to use? Lavin signed great recruits, top 100 kids. Great, but they had trouble with Lehigh and just got smoked by a Northeastern team with probably 0 top 500 kids at home. And dont bring up that they kept it close with Ariz and A&M, a loss is a loss, oh and also home games. This team is going to be good in a few years and Im expecting more than a few more ass beatings especially from Big East teams. But beatings like this are brutal with the talent we have. Hopefully there werent any recruits in the stands

What is your point though Marco? Who are you upset with?  The players, the coaching staff, the ineligible ones? Are you mad at Norm?  Do you miss Norm?  Did you have unrealistic expectations this season?

Fact is, that you thoroughly enjoy it when this team and school are struggling.  It gives you a purpose on this board. You never have anything positive to say, unless its about someone that everyone else is negative about ( ie Norm). 

I said it before the game yesterday. nothing would make you happier than to see us lose to Northeastern...  and now look.  You are tooting your own horn and criticizing the most talent bunch of kids, not to mention coaching staff, we have had here in years.

I just don't see what your trying to accomplish. Its what you do well though...i guess

« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2011, 05:12:07 PM »

What is your point though Marco? Who are you upset with?  The players, the coaching staff, the ineligible ones? Are you mad at Norm?  Do you miss Norm?  Did you have unrealistic expectations this season?

Fact is, that you thoroughly enjoy it when this team and school are struggling.  It gives you a purpose on this board. You never have anything positive to say, unless its about someone that everyone else is negative about ( ie Norm). 

I said it before the game yesterday. nothing would make you happier than to see us lose to Northeastern...  and now look.  You are tooting your own horn and criticizing the most talent bunch of kids, not to mention coaching staff, we have had here in years.

I just don't see what your trying to accomplish. Its what you do well though...i guess

You guys have been bitching for years, figured I'd join in

« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2011, 05:17:08 PM »

But how come you never complained about what was going on with the team during the Norm years ?

« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2011, 05:20:31 PM »

But how come you never complained about what was going on with the team during the Norm years ?

There was enough of that goin on. I found those players easy to root for. I had high expectations for these guys(still do). The fact that there are only 7 players is pissing me off.

boo3

« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2011, 05:24:22 PM »

Such a weak answer, or non answer.

I enjoy talking hoops with you when thats what you want to do. When you go into troll mode it makes it hard to take you serious is all.

Enjoy the season Baldi. Unfortunately it will take a complete and utter collapse by the Johnnies for you to do so.  Thats the shame of it all.

« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »

Such a weak answer, or non answer.

I enjoy talking hoops with you when thats what you want to do. When you go into troll mode it makes it hard to take you serious is all.

Enjoy the season Baldi. Unfortunately it will take a complete and utter collapse by the Johnnies for you to do so.  Thats the shame of it all.

Root how you want, and I will do same. There are no rules on how to do that

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »
The loss was embarrassing, but this is exactly how we felt last year and we ended having a solid season. For the second season in a row the staff is dealing with a completely new roster. We had bad losses early last year and this year. A loss is a loss in the final standings, but it does count for something, as last year Lavin credits the loss to Fordham as their turn around game, and hopefully this loss will do the same...The two losses to rank teams showed that these kids can compete...those two freethrows should build character and give experience on what kind of pressure there is on the big stage. Three pointer was an issue last year as well, one of the big reason we killed Duke last year was that they couldn't hit a three if their life dependent on it.

Bottom line: Depth, height, inexperience,  freethrows, three pointers, defense, will be a problem, and probably a few more...

Coaching Staff  overall ll cannot be fully evaluated good or bad until next year when they had time to work with a team more then a season. (Not saying that coaching staff cannot be criticized for decisions during games)

The good news is over 5,000 fan at the game....so the buzz is still out there and growing.

Cougar O' Malley

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #179 on: November 27, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
one other thing, last years team had no hype, this year team does. The casual fan may not understand the total transition that happened, so this years squad already has more pressure on them then last years team almost ever did.
Cougar O' Malley