Northeastern - Game Thread

• 193 replies
Re: Northeastern - Game Thread
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2011, 02:07:09 AM »
No apologies for staff, brought here to turn things around. Last year was solid, but filling nine spots in one year is unheard of. That said, Coach Lavin rolled the dice on a few kids academically and lost. Still too early to judge if Lavin can get program back on an annually competitive track. My guess is he will, but let's accept that this year will be painful. Next year if we are not consistent, respected and growing, then bitching may be in order. From a marketing perspective, Lavin has clearly gained some respectability for the program, garnered more media attention and made recruits at least think of SJU. If offered those accomplishments two years ago, I would have taken that bet. Let's let things play out and see if this staff can put us on the path to permanent competitiveness.

At the end of the day, we have to come to grips with the fact that this team will not be good in 2011-'12.  We were all very excited when we saw St. John's at the top of the recruiting ranking and thought we were going to be able to compete at a high level from the start.  However, what we didn't see coming was (a) losing 3 top players before the season began (b) coach being deeply affected by his sickness.  No offense to the coaching staff, but the players have to be out of sorts due to Lavin being on the court and then off the court.  In an ideal world, things will settle down when Lavin does come back, but we don't even know if he'll be 100% this season.

While this season may be a lost cause in terms of the win-loss record, our focus has to again be on recruiting the best players we can.  And more to the point, our coaching staff needs to get some big bodies coming in next season.  You are not going to win basketball games when you are constantly being outrebounded in the paint.

« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2011, 02:11:23 AM »
Omar Cook averaged 10 a game and he was a bum. 

You must have missed that season.

« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2011, 02:15:23 AM »
Guys -- I've been a fan since the late 80s/early 90s, watching or following every game on TV, the radio, online, as well as redmen.com and then this board.  This is my first post on johnnyjungle.  We will be fine.  There are going to be some growing pains with this group.  But the bottom line is that we have a first tier staff, and the most talent since the late 90s.  This team will lose games, but ultimately with this staff and this team, we are going to be a perennial top 20 team, if not more.  This will be a down year to an extent, but lets enjoy watching this team grow throughout the year, just as last years squad did. 

I remember the reaction when we lost to St. Bonaventure and Fordham last year.   I don't expect the same catapult through the Big East standings, but overall we are going to be in fine shape going forward.  Enjoy the ride, support the team, and lets make sure we all show up and watch the Garden/Carnessecca rock.  We are in good shape and only good things are going to come going forward.

« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2011, 02:18:47 AM »
And for those Baldi-haters, he is probably right.  Iona will have a better season this year, in that they will make the tourney and possibly make noise (even though they play no D).  They have one of the best PGs in the country in Machado, a high-major player in MoMo, and Glover (who would be at Seton Hall if he had his stuff in order).  Ultimately, who cares?  So what if Iona is a superior squad this year.  We all know that, going forward, Lavin and Co. will have the Johnnies as a legit top 20 team.  Stay the course.

Tha Kid

« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2011, 07:13:37 AM »
+1 boo.  This is unbelievable.  SOS.  And of course baldi is as absurd as ever.  Pathetic. I think the majority of st johns fans are incapable of discussing losses and criticizing our flaws without acting like we are facing a zombie apocalypse.  And to think guys like baldi DEFENDED norm for years.  Makes me sick.

anyone with half of a brain knew this was going to be a long year.

The posters that are crying and moaning clearly had expectations that were out of whack. 

Not to mention our coach hasn't even been around due to cancer surgery and treatment!  get your heads out of your asses... some of you are complete nice persons.....
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2011, 11:05:21 AM »
I guess you guys are happy with what's going on this year? And I'm not talking about 2 years from now

« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2011, 11:14:35 AM »
I guess you guys are happy with what's going on this year? And I'm not talking about 2 years from now

I don't think anyone's happy about this year, but I understand why we are in this situation, and I also understand that this is a young team that will eventually be great. Put all that together, and it's hard to be too upset about one losing season, when you know it's just the growing pains of a young team that will be great a year or two down the line.

If still had Norm, and this was a team full of 2-3 star freshman with a few mediocre JUCO's, I would have a paper bag over my head. If you fail to see the difference between the situation we are in now, and what it could've been with Norm or perhaps another coach, I feel bad for you.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2011, 11:22:29 AM »
The other issue to take away from this game, that has been and will be the problem for the rest of the year is that any team that can shoot the three effectively will be an issue. NE shot around 50% yesterday...it's hard to win with those type of numbers...If we can beat the teams that we are supposed to beat I do not think we will be any worst heading into the BE from last year. There will be plenty of opportunities to make up for this bad loss, but th at is going to be a lot more difficult this year then last year.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2011, 11:25:54 AM »
I think everyday that passes it gets more unlikely thatwe'll see Pelle or Gathers here, that's just me

Redstorm212,You say you understand why we are in this situation. Do tell
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:33:25 AM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2011, 11:30:45 AM »
Any real St. John's fan has been through a lot of disappointing seasons for a very long time now. Therefore, I can understand that some people are impatient when it comes to winning. However, calling for Lavin to be fired with only one year of results is ridiculous IMO. From the beginning, he has been telling fans that he believes we won't be on the level everyone expects us to be at for at least 2-3 years (with his guys).

Now someone who is negative might argue with me that his cancer situation might push us back even further in time. My rebuttal would be to give the guy this year to see if he recovers or not before writing him off.

Who's calling for Lavin to be fired? 

boo3

« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2011, 11:39:05 AM »
The other issue to take away from this game, that has been and will be the problem for the rest of the year is that any team that can shoot the three effectively will be an issue. NE shot around 50% yesterday...it's hard to win with those type of numbers...If we can beat the teams that we are supposed to beat I do not think we will be any worst heading into the BE from last year. There will be plenty of opportunities to make up for this bad loss, but th at is going to be a lot more difficult this year then last year.

Good post. Problem is that Northeastern was not a good 3 pt shooting team coming into the game.  It seems that we bring out the best in other teams 3 pt shooting percentage.   Switching to man to man, while it may be more effective,  will end up hurting us because of lack of depth and the potential for even more foul trouble.  The proverbial catch-22.

Baldi-  no one is happy with a loss like yesterdays ( except you, of course). This team will beat a few teams they aren't supposed to this year as well.   This group and coaching staff have been through a lot so far this season.  There is a lot more learning and coaching to do, which is obvious.  However, to start having panic attacks and questioning the direction of the program at this junction is dumb.

« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2011, 11:42:48 AM »
Boo, no need to be upset with me because I've been spot on.

What are your thoughts on Nuri and Gifts performance?

« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2011, 11:45:38 AM »

Good post. Problem is that Northeastern was not a good 3 pt shooting team coming into the game.  It seems that we bring out the best in other teams 3 pt shooting percentage.   Switching to man to man, while it may be more effective,  will end up hurting us because of lack of depth and the potential for even more foul trouble.  The proverbial catch-22.

Exactly!  I believe Northeastern was shooting 29% behind the arc going into yesterday's game.  I had no problem with the coaching staff deciding to zone that bunch.  Unfortunately, they had to get out of it since the team couldn't recognize the one-man zone buster.

boo3

« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2011, 11:46:25 AM »

Like  i said yesterday, i couldn't watch the game.  Looked like GG had some decent numbers.  I think your focused on Nuri's negatives way too much.  He's not a PG in the truest form.  He's a lead scoring guard.  He isn't the problem.  The problem is finding a way to stop the other team from lighting us up from 3 and rebounding.  Nuri is the least of our problems,  from what i have seen so far at least.

« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »
The sky be fallin'!
Ahhhhhh! Momofukus!

Some y'all really bring out the most hilarious in fandom.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2011, 12:29:22 PM »

Nuri is the least of our problems,  from what i have seen so far at least.

I agree with this.  We have way bigger problems than Nuri. 

« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2011, 12:34:29 PM »
He forces way too much, hence his shot being blocked probably 5 times. He took 5 more shots thananyone else as a pg

« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2011, 01:00:28 PM »
I think everyday that passes it gets more unlikely thatwe'll see Pelle or Gathers here, that's just me

Because Lavin had a team full of 9 seniors, he had to replace all of them. He did it by recruiting top 50 talent for the 2011 class. Nobody except the backup PG has D1 experience. To expect us to be a great team NOW is just not realistic. Let them get a season under their belt first.

desco80

« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2011, 01:11:49 PM »

Because Lavin had a team full of 9 seniors, he had to replace all of them. He did it by recruiting top 50 talent for the 2011 class. Nobody except the backup PG has D1 experience. To expect us to be a great team NOW is just not realistic. Let them get a season under their belt first.

I think that's a cop-out.  We didn't lose to Northeastern because we play 7 guys.  Or because our center is only 6'8.   I'm realistic and I know the staff can only do so much this season with a limited roster, so if we lose games like the ones to Arizona or A&M, or later in BE play - then, yes! That's not the staff's fault.  A deeper bench and bigger frontcourt could make the difference in those games.

But we should still be Northeastern with the squad we have.   The offense is sloppy and the guys still aren't spacing properly and rotating quickly enough on shooters.   That's practice and preparation.  Plain and simple.   God knows we Norm lost us a ton of games; but we didn't lose yesterday because of Norm - the players and staff lost that game.

Things will get better.   But there are times when the team comes out flat and looks like they haven't practiced an offensive set in a week.   That happened yesterday. 

boo3

« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »
He forces way too much, hence his shot being blocked probably 5 times. He took 5 more shots thananyone else as a pg

Not uncommon for a kid in his first 6 games of major college ball. He is used to being a dominant scorer and prior to last year had been away from the game for a while.

It's funny how patient you were with Norm and his cast of misfit toys, but now all of a sudden you are burying people after a few games....don't ya think?