@STJCoachLavin

• 576 replies
Re: @STJCoachLavin
« Reply #120 on: February 14, 2012, 03:04:10 PM »
First, Lavin has stated on national TV that he is coming back, so to suggest that he would not reiterate that same comment to a recruit and their family doesn't seem logical. Secondly, Lavin is not Cal, he is a very high character individual. If Lavin felt he would not return, he is not going to "sell the idea" to a 17-18 yr old kid on playing for him just to get him to commit to the school if he had no intentions of being the coach. He will be our coach.

This right here is the best post in a long, long time.

This right here is wisdom.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

« Reply #121 on: February 14, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »
:) Hope Lavs is wearing a Johnnies hat.

“@STJCoachLavin: http://t.co/SMSPzY1h Productive day recruiting for #stjbb... Dinner w/ 3 former players...Ryan Bailey, ... http://t.co/WtHcLFw1

Posted on redmen that Bailey has us in good shape with a few of his guys.  Of course everyone knows about Parker-Cartwight but Bailey now has a 6'6 junior Combo forward and a budding sooh superstar at PG...supposed to be the real deal. Based on what I've heard and on the highlights I've seen...I'd take them both in a heartbeat.

« Reply #122 on: February 14, 2012, 03:15:50 PM »
This right here is the best post in a long, long time.

This right here is wisdom.

I might have missed it but I do believe the quote attributed to coach was "he def plans on coaching again" or something along those lines. Again maybe I missed a more definitive quote and if so I would like to see it as it would make me feel better personally and maybe change my perception. Anything along the lines of the quote I remember hearing would be the equivalent of a girl on a break from her boyfriend saying I def planning on dating again.

« Reply #123 on: February 14, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »

« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2012, 04:37:38 PM »
http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/story/_/id/7504034/st-john-red-storm-steve-lavin-return-coach-not-sure-timetable

St. John's coach Steve Lavin insists he will return to the sidelines for the Red Storm, although he is not sure if it will be this season.

"Yes. Oh, definitely back on the sidelines,"

« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2012, 04:39:39 PM »
http://espn.go.com/new-york/ncb/story/_/id/7504034/st-john-red-storm-steve-lavin-return-coach-not-sure-timetable

St. John's coach Steve Lavin insists he will return to the sidelines for the Red Storm, although he is not sure if it will be this season.

Hopefully coaching

« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »
http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012512aaa.html

[He wouldn't rule out returning to coach this season, but he will tell you he will be back next season, his third in charge of the program.

"The blood work has come back cancer-free and it has really come down to the premature return and subsequent setback in terms of stamina and energy," he said. "The doctors have advised me to avoid the strenuous aspect of the job, which is the out-of-body experience on the sideline coaching the games. Observing, recruiting, evaluating or hosting a player, that's all within reason in that it doesn't challenge the health."

To prove that, Lavin told of recruiting point guard Jamal Branch, who transferred to St. John's last week from Texas A&M.

"It's the elephant in the room," Lavin said of the cancer. "I was pre-emptive. I brought it up right out of the gate. I told him I had successful surgery and now I'm cancer-free and that I came back too early and set myself back now and are now trying to make a full recovery.

"He was going to hear speculation, innuendo and rumors from other schools. My inclination was to take that head on." ]

Do we need anymore proof?

« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2012, 04:52:32 PM »

Hopefully coaching
I heard some rumblings that he's gonna take over for the male dancer after he graduates

« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2012, 09:38:42 PM »
Rumors still persist because some "fans" still like to create negative rumors and enjoy the buzz it creates.

If this is directed at me you have the reading comprehension of a 1st grader. I simply posted that IN MY OPINION there seems to be a real chance Lavin might not come back. I think I stressed it a minimum of ten times. I have always been a fan of the basketball program but I chose to matriculate elsewhere. After reading some of the posts on these boards I would say I made a wise decision. No offense to any of you who went to SJU and can read.

Yes, you sound like a Rhodes scholar.

Poison

« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2012, 10:18:10 PM »

Hopefully coaching

I heard some rumblings that he's gonna take over for the male dancer after he graduates

That kid brings it every night. If only Gift had his footwork.

« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2012, 10:26:46 PM »
I'm class of 72 from redmen
I am SPARTACUS! :)

« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2012, 09:07:39 AM »
Yes, you sound like a Rhodes scholar

Thanks.
Oxford 1994 actually.

Marillac

« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2012, 01:04:44 PM »

Hopefully coaching

That kid brings it every night. If only Gift had his footwork.

Lol I'm dying here!

« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »
STJCoachLavin Another outstanding St. John's recruiting class taking shape... in the home stretch as we head to April signing period. #stjbb

So you think Coach has some verbal commitments from some of these kids already?

mkras99

« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »
STJCoachLavin Another outstanding St. John's recruiting class taking shape... in the home stretch as we head to April signing period. #stjbb

So you think Coach has some verbal commitments from some of these kids already?

STJCoachLavin Prospects look terrific to land four or five more young guns! Hammer to Rock! #stjbb #HammerToRock

Poison

« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »
Two days ago it was 5. Now it's 4 or 5?

« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2012, 05:49:50 PM »
Hammer to Rock momofukus!
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

desco80

« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2012, 06:03:16 PM »

Thought I was the only one who noticed that.     I'm going to withhold judgement till this class is signed.  But I hope that's not coach lowering expectations. 

« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2012, 06:29:20 PM »
Funny how some y'all still dont understand how hard it is when you is in front of thousands of peoples, wit TV cameras on you, wit players you gotta coach, wit a staff you gotta lead....

......and there aint a toilet around and you cant control yo water too good.

That makes tons of sense, however, why is Lavin not running practices when he is not out recruiting?  I think that would help the moral of the current players who signed on to play for Lavin.

Lavin didn't run practice even when he was healthy, prior to his treatment
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

MCNPA

« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2012, 06:53:56 PM »

Oh come on... branch +4 or 5 is fantastic.