Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies

boo3

Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #720 on: May 14, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »
mel davis, leroy ellis, billy paultz.  mo is no where near the names that have been mentioned.   

Never saw them. But doubt that he could have been THAT far off. Every ball he touched he got. It really was amazing.

On a side note I really hope moe doesnt go to the raptors. Thats a tough place to play. If its lottery money however than good for him

Yeah, but Moe didn't have to walk to school backwards, without shoes, in the snow, to get to practice?  Did he?  ;)

« Reply #721 on: May 14, 2012, 05:55:16 PM »
They was all better as frosh? Or 1st year Varsity?

C'mon now.

Mo woulda surpassed a lotta names had he stayed his time.

they were all better.  i agree mo would have moved up the all time list had he stayed.  the team that picks him will do so because of his potential.  we agree he has a great upside.  the three i mentioned...who all had nice nba careers...were picked based on performance.

« Reply #722 on: May 14, 2012, 06:04:01 PM »

C'mon now.

they were all better.  i agree mo would have moved up the all time list had he stayed.  the team that picks him will do so because of his potential.  we agree he has a great upside.  the three i mentioned...who all had nice nba careers...were picked based on performance.

I dont wanna take nuthin away from STJ legends who deserve respct and admiration.

Just sayin I believe Mo could be among them. But thats pure hypothetical now.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #723 on: May 14, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »
I think some people are forgetting what Moe's natural position is and what he was forced to play last year.

Also I think its very hard to compare the game from when Mel and company played to now.  Many things have changed.
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #724 on: May 14, 2012, 06:47:04 PM »
 Whatever his natural position was/is,  he was a helluva rebounder for someone as slender as he was.  He must have tremendously strong hands because if he got a paw on it, he was bringing it in.   

DFF6

« Reply #725 on: May 14, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »
Whatever his natural position was/is,  he was a helluva rebounder for someone as slender as he was.  He must have tremendously strong hands because if he got a paw on it, he was bringing it in.

Or putting the offensive rebound in the basket like he did in the closing seconds of the win against Cincy on the road.

« Reply #726 on: May 15, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »
mel davis, leroy ellis, billy paultz.  mo is no where near the names that have been mentioned.   

Never saw them. But doubt that he could have been THAT far off. Every ball he touched he got. It really was amazing.

On a side note I really hope moe doesnt go to the raptors. Thats a tough place to play. If its lottery money however than good for him

Yeah, but Moe didn't have to walk to school backwards, without shoes, in the snow, to get to practice?  Did he?  ;)

No he didnt, and even worse, it was uphill both ways!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

derk

« Reply #727 on: May 15, 2012, 12:28:19 PM »

C'mon now.

I'm sure Choz but we'll never know. They didn't call Mel Davis "killer " for nothing. Best rebounder we ever had.

« Reply #728 on: May 15, 2012, 01:57:29 PM »
today's stats are inflated because the players are no longer going up against four year superstars.  now it's one or two and out.  the talent pool is obviously thinner.

i'm elated moe chose us.  i'm sorry, for selfish reasons, he's leaving.  if everyone in college hoops stayed four years, moe would have been an all timer.  that's why a player who was inconsistant in his freshman year will go in the first round.  upside and potential.  the nba benefits...not us.

« Reply #729 on: May 15, 2012, 10:09:50 PM »
Agree newsie, at least on the court obviously.  Where Mo's departure benefits us is selling Lavin and Co. to future recruits, especially if Mo goes as high as some people are predicting.

Marillac

« Reply #730 on: May 15, 2012, 11:18:51 PM »
Mel Davis, from everything I've read and heard, would have eaten Moe's lunch down low.  Those rebounding #'s are INSANE and they speak for themselves.  Like Moose pointed out, though, Moe was a SF playing out of position at PF and C. 

crgreen

« Reply #731 on: May 16, 2012, 12:20:08 AM »
Mel Davis, from everything I've read and heard, would have eaten Moe's lunch down low.  Those rebounding #'s are INSANE and they speak for themselves.  Like Moose pointed out, though, Moe was a SF playing out of position at PF and C.

Best rebounding college SF you ever saw?    My vote goes to Elgin (20.3 rebs and 19.3 rebs his two years in D-1).  2nd best is tough - it might be the Kangaroo Kid, Billy Cunningham - averaged 24pts and 16 rebs his 3 years at UNC....

« Reply #732 on: May 16, 2012, 01:00:38 AM »
it's hard to argue about elgin...who was dr j before dr j was dr j...but i also like kermit washington in college...and paul silas.

for some reason, rebounding isn't the art it used to be.

« Reply #733 on: May 16, 2012, 01:33:48 AM »
it's hard to argue about elgin...who was dr j before dr j was dr j...but i also like kermit washington in college...and paul silas.

better shooters :)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

crgreen

« Reply #734 on: May 16, 2012, 03:30:16 AM »

Yeah, but Kermit and Paul were pure 4s (and sometimes 5s) in college and the pros.   I'd include Elvin Hayes, Dave DeBusschere, Gus Johnson,  and Jerry Lucas if we're extending to that position - but it kinda takes the discussion away from Moe and rebounding well while playing out of position....

« Reply #735 on: May 16, 2012, 03:31:56 AM »

mel is a cool dede and great representative of the school at games and in general. He's real personable and has really good stories when you sit down and talk with him and my girlfriend thinks his wife is a doll also, She's real nice also

Moose

« Reply #736 on: May 16, 2012, 07:51:51 AM »

mel is a cool dede and great representative of the school at games and in general. He's real personable and has really good stories when you sit down and talk with him and my girlfriend thinks his wife is a doll also, She's real nice also

What the heck were you posting at 330 am?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #737 on: May 16, 2012, 10:45:16 AM »

What the heck were you posting at 330 am?
Insomnia

« Reply #738 on: May 16, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »

sorry..i thought we were talking about rebounding in general.  maybe one of the best rebounders of all time... bill russell... was out of position.  at 6'8"...he's shorter than moe.

« Reply #739 on: May 16, 2012, 02:56:40 PM »
Actual best boarder was Charlie Slack who came out of the Army Air Corps in WWII supposed t play tight end for Woody Hayes.  Injury prevented that and Woody made the link for Slack to play basketball at Marshall.  Couldn't jump worth a lick but if six guys were in the lane as the ball went up Charlie was there alone by the time it came down.