Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies

LJSA

Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #680 on: May 06, 2012, 06:15:50 AM »
Let's just make sure that Norm gets the credit due to him for getting Moe into the pros.

boo3

« Reply #681 on: May 06, 2012, 06:59:19 AM »
Good post CrGreen . Perception is everything. I with you. 

Moose

« Reply #682 on: May 06, 2012, 09:35:16 PM »
Let's just make sure that Norm gets the credit due to him for getting Moe into the pros.

Come on.  Dunlap should get all the credit.  Nobody else.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #683 on: May 07, 2012, 01:16:54 AM »
Maybe Moe should get some of the credit

Chilleb

« Reply #684 on: May 07, 2012, 01:18:39 AM »
Bingo

Moose

« Reply #685 on: May 07, 2012, 08:40:56 AM »

I hope you realize my comment above that only Dunlap should get credit was in jest.  Just as the comment above that about Norm getting credit was also  a joke.

Tha Kid

« Reply #686 on: May 07, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »
NBADraft.net compared some players expected to go high, to players who are projected to go lower but might give you the same value later in the draft.  Here is the one involving our Moe:

Perry Jones (lottery) - Moe Harkless (mid-to-late first)

The biggest question marks with Jones concern his consistency, motor, and toughness. Those aren’t issues with Harkless. While there’s no denying the upside of Jones, the rawer Harkless could actually be a safer pick and a potential trade back candidate.

http://www.nbadraft.net/value-picks-2012-nba-draft
"I drink and I know things"

Moose

« Reply #687 on: May 07, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »
NBADraft.net compared some players expected to go high, to players who are projected to go lower but might give you the same value later in the draft.  Here is the one involving our Moe:

The biggest question marks with Jones concern his consistency, motor, and toughness. Those aren’t issues with Harkless. While there’s no denying the upside of Jones, the rawer Harkless could actually be a safer pick and a potential trade back candidate.

Don't know if I agree with the that comment about motor and consistency

boo3

« Reply #688 on: May 07, 2012, 04:05:19 PM »

Compared with Jones, I do.   If Jones had a motor he would have been a lottery pick last year.  I'm willing to give Moe the benefit of the doubt, and I'm sure some scouts do as well, considering the amount of minutes thrust upon him as a freshman.

Moe makes a lot of things look effortless as well.  Sure there were games where he disappeared for stretch's, but i never got them impression he was dogging it.

Moose

« Reply #689 on: May 07, 2012, 04:40:21 PM »

Compared with Jones, I do.   If Jones had a motor he would have been a lottery pick last year.  I'm willing to give Moe the benefit of the doubt, and I'm sure some scouts do as well, considering the amount of minutes thrust upon him as a freshman.

Moe makes a lot of things look effortless as well.  Sure there were games where he disappeared for stretch's, but i never got them impression he was dogging it.

Never  thought Moe was dogging it, ever.  But there were some games I scratched my head while he disappeared for long stretches. 

« Reply #690 on: May 07, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »
Never  thought Moe was dogging it, ever.  But there were some games I scratched my head while he disappeared for long stretches..

He didn't have a consistent enough jumper to dominate offensively. The offense sucked and he was playing w/o a point guard. Moe averaged almost 9 boards a game playing Center in the BE. He played hard just not refined enough offensively at this point. When he was hitting jumpers it just opened up the rest of his game and you saw glimpses of what he could be one day.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:55:50 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #691 on: May 07, 2012, 10:15:56 PM »
I'd chalk his less than stellar games up to the fact that he was a freshman, often the primary or co-primary focus of the other teams defense, and playing out of position some of the time.  Nothing more.

Interesting side note.  I'm friendly with Lawrence Franks and his family, and was hanging with him at an event for a family friend back in October.  He told me that he heard that people were "real high" on Harkless, how getting the best NYC player from that year was a great thing for the Johnnies (his wife/wife's father is an alum of the law school, I believe), and that the general thought among some NBA folks was that his potential was off-the-charts good.  Given that Detroit has two young big guys (including their best player, Monroe, IMO), and a young PG (Knight), will be interesting to see where they end up picking and if Mo is a target (I believe at least one mock draft had them taking Mo).

derk

« Reply #692 on: May 08, 2012, 09:20:27 AM »

I think that description is  closer to the Moe we would've seen if he stayed another year.

paultzman

« Reply #693 on: May 08, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »
“@Nateblueis4real: IMG workouts have been solid.  Moe Harkless (ST.Johns), Kendall Marshall (Unc), Darius Johnson-Odom (MU), Benard James (Fla St), and others.”

Moose

« Reply #694 on: May 08, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/7903861/2012-nba-draft-breaking-top-10-prospects-position

Small forwards
1. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Fr., Kentucky Wildcats (2)
2. Harrison Barnes, So., North Carolina Tar Heels (6)
3. Quincy Miller, Fr., Baylor Bears (20)
4. Moe Harkless, Fr., St. John's Red Storm (22)
5. Royce White, So, Iowa State Cyclones (25)
6. Jeff Taylor, Sr., Vanderbilt Commodores (26)
7. Draymond Green, Sr., Michigan State Spartans (28)
8. Khris Middleton, Jr. Texas A&M Aggies (37)
9. Tomas Satoransky, Czech Republic (39)
10. Darius Miller, Sr., Kentucky Wildcats (40)

Comments: Everyone talks about the need for centers and big men in the draft, but the biggest drought in the NBA comes at the small forward position. According to John Hollinger's PER stats, only 18 small forwards posted a PER of 15 or higher this season. That was the fewest of any position in the league. This year both Kidd-Gilchrist and Barnes are players who could sneak into that group eventually. Miller and Harkless are both young and underprepared, but have big upsides.

White is the real enigma of the draft. He could be great or he could be a bust. No one is quite sure which he'll be.

paultzman

« Reply #695 on: May 10, 2012, 11:09:01 AM »
“@davejaspers: #stjbb Moe Harkless projected to go 24th to Cleveland in the latest @GoodmanCBS NBA Mock Draft.”

« Reply #696 on: May 10, 2012, 11:25:33 AM »
I hope Moe drops to #48.  8)

« Reply #697 on: May 10, 2012, 11:51:59 AM »

WOW that mean. Hope you are joking

« Reply #698 on: May 10, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »

What's mean that he hopes that he gets drafted lower or that he gets drafted by the Knicks
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

DFF6

« Reply #699 on: May 10, 2012, 12:02:09 PM »

What's mean that he hopes that he gets drafted lower or that he gets drafted by the Knicks

Must be the latter.  If he goes to the Cavs, at least he'll have a good shot at serious pt and play with a talented point guard.