Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies

desco80

Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #580 on: April 02, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »
Am I the only one that doesn't think these recent announcements are going to effect Moe's position much?

The draft analysis I saw all season expected Melo, Rivers, Wroten, Leonard, etc to come out. 
Don't know what some guys like a Quincy Miller are going to do, but generally I don't think these announcements move Moe from that 15-25 range.

boo3

« Reply #581 on: April 02, 2012, 06:58:58 PM »
  Francessa had Majerus on earlier today talking about the Uk kids.  Majerus , without being asked or prompted, came right out and said he loves  "the kid from St. John's that's coming out".  Said what impressed him the most was how hard he played night in and night out on a team that was getting beat up every night. ( He actually said a "bad team")

« Reply #582 on: April 02, 2012, 10:17:35 PM »
I guess it's true that what your record says is who you are because for majerus to say we were a bad team he must of forgotten that just a year ago with a mix of upper clansmen and frosh he was 6-12 in a-10 and 12-19 overall. Compared to 13-19 with 6 players and 6-12 in big east.  Fast forward to this past year, 20 plus wins and a tourney birth.  A more accurate statement should of been harkless played on a young team with a years experience can become a much better team.

although his statement about harkless is encouraging because the man has coached and coached against a lot of good college basketball players.

Poison

« Reply #583 on: April 02, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »
  Francessa had Majerus on earlier today talking about the Uk kids.  Majerus , without being asked or prompted, came right out and said he loves  "the kid from St. John's that's coming out".  Said what impressed him the most was how hard he played night in and night out on a team that was getting beat up every night. ( He actually said a "bad team")

Bad is spot on. Terrible is even more spot on.

boo3

« Reply #584 on: April 02, 2012, 10:24:05 PM »

Scary thing is, I'll take this seasons terrible team over many of the terrible Norm teams that may have had a better overall record. I actually enjoyed watching many of the games this season, minus a few true stinkers.

Poison

« Reply #585 on: April 02, 2012, 10:39:23 PM »

Was there a subtle difference? Other than media attention this past season producer the same results as any Norm season. If you want to kid yourself you can say dream about the future, but it's far from secure. Right now, we are looking at another 13-16 win season.

Scary thing is, I'll take this seasons terrible team over many of the terrible Norm teams that may have had a better overall record. I actually enjoyed watching many of the games this season, minus a few true stinkers.

boo3

« Reply #586 on: April 02, 2012, 10:42:36 PM »
  Was there a difference? In my eyes there was.

Next year we win 18

Poison

« Reply #587 on: April 02, 2012, 10:52:02 PM »

Next year we win 18

We would have, but Moe left. That killed this past season. You can't have a fresh five with 4 guys.

boo3

« Reply #588 on: April 02, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »

Next year we win 18

We would have, but Moe left. That killed this past season. You can't have a fresh five with 4 guys.

If Jakkar is the real deal then we should be better next season. More depth and experience.

Poison

« Reply #589 on: April 02, 2012, 11:04:10 PM »

Next year we win 18

If Jakkar is the real deal then we should be better next season. More depth and experience.

We have to hope that he'll be able to step right and play at a very high level. That, and we need at least 2 legit big men. It's asking a lot. There are high expectations for Lavin.

desco80

« Reply #590 on: April 02, 2012, 11:06:47 PM »

Next year we win 18

Alot depends on who else we sign in the next few weeks.   Losing Moe hurt alot, but we could still be significantly better.   

crgreen

« Reply #591 on: April 03, 2012, 02:20:03 AM »

Next year we win 18

If we end up with at least 5 new D-1 bodies (Sampson, Branch, Balamou, and 2 bigs), I'll be disappoined with anything less than 22 wins.  We will be running out a squad with legitmate top 75 talent at EVERY position, and likely at least 4 legit D-1 talents off the bench.   If we add a legit starting 5 (and I'm pretty confident Lav's will) to go along with a legit top 50 PG in Branch, with Lavin back on the sideline, I think 9 additional wins is an absolute "gimme"....and that's if the 5 returnes simply maintain "status quo".  How much D'Angelo, Amir, Dom, Phil and GG IMPROVE over their first year here (and yes, it's the VERY rare player who DOESN'T improve significantly from 1st to 2nd year) will determine if we can be even better than that....

« Reply #592 on: April 03, 2012, 05:50:52 AM »
from your mouth to god's ears.  i'll wait to see who we sign first...

« Reply #593 on: April 03, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »
Majerus says Mo played hard night in and night out. Not saying he didn't but wasn't Majerus coaching a team in another conference? How could he be following St J's night in and night out and furthermore why would he? Saw Tony Wroten of Washington vs Minnesota and he takes more wild layup attempts than Nuri did. Only difference is most of Wroten's layup attempts come from 8-10 feet from the basket. Was not impressed.

Moose

« Reply #594 on: April 03, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
Majerus says Mo played hard night in and night out. Not saying he didn't but wasn't Majerus coaching a team in another conference? How could he be following St J's night in and night out and furthermore why would he?

Agreed.  Plus sometimes Moe coasted a bit.  Its the Robbie Cano in him which I don't mind.  But the comment is not correct.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #595 on: April 03, 2012, 05:16:55 PM »
“@JonRothstein: This bumps the Huskies from my Top 25 RT @percyallen: Tony Wroten Jr. is leaving Washington and will enter the draft.”

crgreen

« Reply #596 on: April 05, 2012, 03:37:07 AM »
An old buddy of mine (and I mean both that we've been friends a long time, and that we are OLD), is prepping up for his annualy jaunt to the NBA draft.  He's hunkering down watching every bit of internet data on every potential draftable kid.   He emailed me with an interesting take on Moe Harkless.   After seeing the rebouding abllity, jumping ability, and that incredbly quick first step on his drives, my friend says that Moe is "the closest thing he's seen to a young Elgin Baylor in over half a century of watching prospects"....

My friend was in Freedom Hall in Louisville when Elgin's Seatle U team lost in the NCAA title game to Rupp's Kentucky Wildcats in 1958, so when he says "young Elgin", he means it ! :)

I hadn't thought about the comparison.  Unfortunately, as a Laker fan, the Elgin I remember is the one from his last 4 years, after the injuries had worn him down, and he'd bulked up to nearly 230 lbs.  Had to force myself to remember back to when the Lakers first move out from Minneapolis, and what kind of player Baylor was as a youngster.   It's really a good comparison, I think. 

LJSA

« Reply #597 on: April 05, 2012, 05:22:57 AM »
An old buddy of mine (and I mean both that we've been friends a long time, and that we are OLD), is prepping up for his annualy jaunt to the NBA draft.  He's hunkering down watching every bit of internet data on every potential draftable kid.   He emailed me with an interesting take on Moe Harkless.   After seeing the rebouding abllity, jumping ability, and that incredbly quick first step on his drives, my friend says that Moe is "the closest thing he's seen to a young Elgin Baylor in over half a century of watching prospects"....

My friend was in Freedom Hall in Louisville when Elgin's Seatle U team lost in the NCAA title game to Rupp's Kentucky Wildcats in 1958, so when he says "young Elgin", he means it ! :)

I hadn't thought about the comparison.  Unfortunately, as a Laker fan, the Elgin I remember is the one from his last 4 years, after the injuries had worn him down, and he'd bulked up to nearly 230 lbs.  Had to force myself to remember back to when the Lakers first move out from Minneapolis, and what kind of player Baylor was as a youngster.   It's really a good comparison, I think. 

I only know Elgin by reputation and not viewing, but if the comparison is accurate, you have to figure someone else with drafting power will have noticed it, making it a smart move for Moe to have entered the draft.

crgreen

« Reply #598 on: April 05, 2012, 07:36:48 AM »

I only know Elgin by reputation and not viewing, but if the comparison is accurate, you have to figure someone else with drafting power will have noticed it, making it a smart move for Moe to have entered the draft.

Up till 3 /2 years ago, it might have been the original Big E noticing - he was the Clippers Exec VP and GM for 22 years, till he was forced to resign at 74 years old in 2008.  He took a lot of grief because the Clips owner Donald Sterling is such a jerk, sabotaging all attempts to build a team (power of the purse string), but Elg had a pretty darn good history of draft picks in his 22 years:  Reggie Williams, Hersey Hawkins, Danny Manning, Danny Ferry, Loy Vaught, Bo Kimble, LeRon Ellis, Elmore Spencer, Randy Woods, Terry Dehere, Greg Minor, Lamond Murray, Antonio McDyess, Lorenzen Wright, Maurice Tayler, Brian Skinner, Michael Oliwakandi, Lamar Odom, Quentin Richzrdson, Darius Miles, Tyson Chandler, Melvin Ely, Chris WIlcox, Shaun Livingston, Chris Kaman, Al Thornton, and Eric Gordon.

« Reply #599 on: April 05, 2012, 09:38:48 AM »
Saw a lot of Elgin and I don't see the similarities.  He was much shorter than Moe but was known for his hang time and creativity around the hoop.  Moe is probably going to be more of a perimeter in slasher in the league.  Was talking to my NBA guy last night.  He noted that a lot of so called 6'8" guys turn out to be 6'6 1/2 when they show up for workouts.  He said it will be the opposite with Moe and said he could wind up going ninth depending on team needs and draft IQs.  He also predicted he'll go no worse than 20th as is.  We'll see.