2012/2013 Schedule

• 222 replies
Re: 2012/2013 Schedule
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »
I am facing a full court press to find out when we'll be playing Pitt at MSG this year?  When will that information be known?  Many thanks.

« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »
I am facing a full court press to find out when we'll be playing Pitt at MSG this year?  When will that information be known?  Many thanks.

September

Poison

« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2012, 01:57:48 PM »
I hope we kill Pitt

paultzman

« Reply #143 on: July 24, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »
We should not be embarrassed by our non conference schedule,compared to Hoyas! Shades of Big John and St. Leo's!

“@CasualHoya: Georgetown Unveils 2012-2013 Non-Conference Schedule http://t.co/8KnWVyXP

Poison

« Reply #144 on: July 24, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »
We should not be embarrassed by our non conference schedule,compared to Hoyas! Shades of Big John and St. Leo's!

“@CasualHoya: Georgetown Unveils 2012-2013 Non-Conference Schedule http://t.co/8KnWVyXP

I saw a lot of good teams on that schedule.

« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2012, 03:45:59 PM »
Actually looks like a really solid schedule.

Chilleb

« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2012, 08:38:39 PM »

I feel even more embarrassed , there schedule is super superior to ours

MCNPA

« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2012, 11:26:58 PM »
I don't think their schedule is stronger than ours.  We don't have the strongest this year, but I don't think it was by our choice.  Just the way it worked out with Duke on hiatus and ucla ending our series.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:27:54 PM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2012, 11:50:19 PM »
I don't think their schedule is stronger than ours.  We don't have the strongest this year, but I don't think it was by our choice.  Just the way it worked out with Duke on hiatus and ucla ending our series.

We have a chance to one high major team before January. Baylor. A team that lost a lot of experience.
Georgetown plays Florida, Indiana/UCLA, Tennessee and Texas. Not to mention quality mid majors in Western Carolina, American, Duquesne & Liberty.

All I see for us is a possibility of Baylor or maybe Murray State. Every other game is basically easy, or should be.

MCNPA

« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2012, 12:01:28 AM »

We have a chance to one high major team before January. Baylor. A team that lost a lot of experience.
Georgetown plays Florida, Indiana/UCLA, Tennessee and Texas. Not to mention quality mid majors in Western Carolina, American, Duquesne & Liberty.

All I see for us is a possibility of Baylor or maybe Murray State. Every other game is basically easy, or should be.

I didn't originally see the Indiana/ucla.  I only saw the Georgia matchup.  Theirs has one or two more big matchups but not that many.   We also have UNC Asheville who should have beaten a very good Cuse team last year in the tourney.  I don't know what they return but they might not be a pushover.   I don't have a problem with our schedule this year though.  I don't want weaker schedules every year, but one year off from the gauntlet we usually play isn't horrible.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:03:10 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #150 on: July 25, 2012, 04:49:08 AM »

I don't have a problem with our schedule this year though.  I don't want weaker schedules every year, but one year off from the gauntlet we usually play isn't horrible.
[/quote]

I was hoping that this year's team could get a "breather" during the non-conference schedule. The conference schedule will be tough enough. Next year, I have no doubt that Coach Lavin, will make it much tougher.

Poison

« Reply #151 on: July 25, 2012, 08:54:24 AM »
Our schedule is designed to give us practice coming together as a team. If we do that and we perform in the conference play, we'll fine, and that places a lot of pressure on just conference play. We phage practically nothing to gain but experience until January.

Hopefully we can at least play Baylor.

MCNPA

« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2012, 09:51:01 AM »
Our schedule is designed to give us practice coming together as a team. If we do that and we perform in the conference play, we'll fine, and that places a lot of pressure on just conference play. We phage practically nothing to gain but experience until January.

The pressure is almost always on conference play.  That said, "taking care" of the non-conference teams regardless of strength can really do a lot to push you into the dance if you are borderline at the end of the year. 

Poison

« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »

The pressure is almost always on conference play.  That said, "taking care" of the non-conference teams regardless of strength can really do a lot to push you into the dance if you are borderline at the end of the year. 

We are not going to get a lot of credit for Nov/Dec. UNC Ashville might have had SU on the ropes but that was last year.
Now, we'll see what happens with they return.i doubt they are going to be ranked. I'm hoping we get some strong opponents in Charleston, because the rest of the schedule is cup cake city.

redslope

« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »
big thing with our schedule is that we have no out of conference games during conference schedule (this is what Accuse does every year).  the team will benefit from this as they will have time to rest between league games unlike last year when we played 2 additional games in a 9 week period.

ras

« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2012, 01:00:13 PM »
The team is very young and needs time to play together to gell as a team,develop chemistry and for Lavin to determine the starting lineup. The easier schedule will allow this ,plus Branch will be on the team just in time for the rigorous BE schedule which will give us plenty of games against quality competition. I dont think playing UK early last year w our  young ,thin team helped us. Furthermore, the easier early schedule will help w confidence. Lets hope we dont have a let down and loose to the patsies. A long as we get our share of Ws we ll be fine.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:01:56 PM by ras »

Poison

« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2012, 01:17:14 PM »
The team is very young and needs time to play together to gell as a team,develop chemistry and for Lavin to determine the starting lineup. The easier schedule will allow this ,plus Branch will be on the team just in time for the rigorous BE schedule which will give us plenty of games against quality competition. I dont think playing UK early last year w our  young ,thin team helped us. Furthermore, the easier early schedule will help w confidence. Lets hope we dont have a let down and loose to the patsies. A long as we get our share of Ws we ll be fine.

I hear ya about the #1 ranked team, but we have nothing outside of Charleston that will help us prepare for the BE. South Carolina is awful, and they lost what little they had. UNC Ashville was a nice story last March, but how much of that is even returning? They are losing their top 3 scorers. We should house them.

Fordham? St.Francis? NJIT? Hard to even get excited about these. I'd like to see us play someone with a fighting chance.

ras

« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »

I hear ya about the #1 ranked team, but we have nothing outside of Charleston that will help us prepare for the BE. South Carolina is awful, and they lost what little they had. UNC Ashville was a nice story last March, but how much of that is even returning? They are losing their top 3 scorers. We should house them.

Fordham? St.Francis? NJIT? Hard to even get excited about these. I'd like to see us play someone with a fighting chance.
An in between schedule would have probably been ideal .A couple of major non conference schools could have been scheduled

MCNPA

« Reply #158 on: July 25, 2012, 06:43:34 PM »
Playing cupcakes never seems to hurt the development of schools like Cuse who are always a player in the post-season.  Basketball is basketball.  Being tested is good, but still more important is developing the schemes and chemistry to take us the distance.  The Big East is a long season and we won't be deer-in-headlights when league play begins. We do return 4 starters who know what it's like to play against the big boys.

What is more important is that we don't tank before the Big East schedule and win as many as possible.  How we are playing is more important than who we play.  I too would like one or two more big names in there, but if we get Baylor and a few more tests from south carolina, Detroit etc, we'll be fine.

Poison

« Reply #159 on: July 25, 2012, 06:50:23 PM »
Playing cupcakes never seems to hurt the development of schools like Cuse who are always a player in the post-season.  Basketball is basketball.  Being tested is good, but still more important is developing the schemes and chemistry to take us the distance.  The Big East is a long season and we won't be deer-in-headlights when league play begins. We do return 4 starters who know what it's like to play against the big boys.

What is more important is that we don't tank before the Big East schedule and win as many as possible.  How we are
playing is more important than who we play.  I too would like one or two more big names in there, but if we get Baylor and a few more tests from south carolina, Detroit etc, we'll be fine.

We are playing far more cup cakes than SU plays. Their schedule isn't so easy. It's just local to either Syracuse or NYC.