2012/2013 Schedule

• 222 replies

MCNPA

Re: 2012/2013 Schedule
« Reply #160 on: July 25, 2012, 07:00:45 PM »
Playing cupcakes never seems to hurt the development of schools like Cuse who are always a player in the post-season.  Basketball is basketball.  Being tested is good, but still more important is developing the schemes and chemistry to take us the distance.  The Big East is a long season and we won't be deer-in-headlights when league play begins. We do return 4 starters who know what it's like to play against the big boys.

What is more important is that we don't tank before the Big East schedule and win as many as possible.  How we are
playing is more important than who we play.  I too would like one or two more big names in there, but if we get Baylor and a few more tests from south carolina, Detroit etc, we'll be fine.

We are playing far more cup cakes than SU plays. Their schedule isn't so easy. It's just local to either Syracuse or NYC.

Cuse's schedule is almost always cupcake city.

boo3

« Reply #161 on: July 25, 2012, 07:01:15 PM »
 Hysterical people are whining about the schedule now.  It never ends.

Poison

« Reply #162 on: July 25, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »
Playing cupcakes never seems to hurt the development of schools like Cuse who are always a player in the post-season.  Basketball is basketball.  Being tested is good, but still more important is developing the schemes and chemistry to take us the distance.  The Big East is a long season and we won't be deer-in-headlights when league play begins. We do return 4 starters who know what it's like to play against the big boys.

What is more important is that we don't tank before the Big East schedule and win as many as possible.  How we are
playing is more important than who we play.  I too would like one or two more big names in there, but if we get Baylor and a few more tests from south carolina, Detroit etc, we'll be fine.

We are playing far more cup cakes than SU plays. Their schedule isn't so easy. It's just local to either Syracuse or NYC.

Take an actual look. It's not so easy. A game like Marshall for example people laugh at, but it's not a cup cake.

Moose

« Reply #163 on: July 25, 2012, 07:53:42 PM »
Hysterical people are whining about the schedule now.  It never ends.

Amazing isn't it?
Mark my words a team like this years team will get to 2nd weekend of NCAA's and our fan base will still bitch like we have 8 Championships to remember.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2012, 07:56:03 PM »

Take an actual look. It's not so easy. A game like Marshall for example people laugh at, but it's not a cup cake.

Remind me why Marshall who outed in the NIT first round is NOT a cupcake, yet Murray State(NCAA), UNC Asheville(ncca's), Detroit, South Carolina and BC are cupcakes?  C'mon...

Poison

« Reply #165 on: July 25, 2012, 08:12:56 PM »

Remind me why Marshall who outed in the NIT first round is NOT a cupcake, yet Murray State(NCAA), UNC Asheville(ncca's), Detroit, South Carolina and BC are cupcakes?  C'mon...

Murray State is our top opponent should we play them. Detroit won how many games last year? South Carolina won how many? We are not playing real teams. You are grasping at straws. It may not matter, if we play well in Jan, but I'm not driving to Queens to see NJIT on a Tuesday just because it's all we got.

Asheville lost most of last year's team. Detroit is a fine early test, but it should lead into Michigan State. The point is not replicate Boeheim's plan. That hasn't always worked for him. We should have some road challenges and some he challenges and they should be high major opponents.

South Carolina is awful. We should take their lunch money.

Moose

« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2012, 08:49:46 AM »
Chad Ford mention about Ray McCallum of Detroit who we will see again this year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/8246678/summer-risers-fallers-2013-nba-draft-prospects

Ray McCallum, PG, Detroit Titans
McCallum was mentioned along with Arkansas' B.J. Young and Missouri's Phil Pressey as the best point guard teams saw this summer. McCallum has always been a scout favorite, but didn't exactly dominate as a freshman or sophomore at Detroit. His play at adidas Nations gave scouts hope that this is the season he will break out. He was shooting the ball better and was much more aggressive. In a draft with very few point guard prospects, McCallum may have a chance to sneak into the first round.

paultzman

« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »
Rutgers has weak out of conference Sched IMO.

“@JonRothstein: Rutgers releases non-conference schedule. The Scarlet Knights are in position to win 18-20 games in 2012-13 http://t.co/KU7MoZx5

« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »

“@JonRothstein: Rutgers releases non-conference schedule. The Scarlet Knights are in position to win 18-20 games in 2012-13 http://t.co/KU7MoZx5

Yeah in a position to win 18 and be in the NIT.

'Less of course they is a mutiny and Coach Crazy goes down.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Chilleb

« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »
Ok so we don't have the weakest schedule in the conference

Moose

« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2012, 07:48:22 PM »

Yeah in a position to win 18 and be in the NIT.

'Less of course they is a mutiny and Coach Crazy goes down.

Haha love it

paultzman

« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2012, 10:04:52 AM »
“@STJ_Basketball: TWITTER EXCLUSIVE! Full #STJBB Schedule, with @BigEastConf matchups and national TV information, will be released at noon on Twitter.”

desco80

« Reply #172 on: September 05, 2012, 12:38:04 PM »
I see Rumble in The Garden and some other sources have the schedule with dates and locations posted...

Are we really playing UCONN on campus??!   
I'm almost always in favor of playing big games at the garden... but this would be a change of pace if true.   Good wrinkle to the schedule.

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2012/9/5/3293847/st-johns-red-storm-full-big-east-basketball-schedule-2012-13

« Reply #173 on: September 05, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
Big East TV schedule out: 

http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/435/Article/236608/2012-13-Men-s-Basketball-Schedule-Features-56-Percent-of-League-Games-on-National-TV.aspx

I always check the 3 important time slots for BE games.  They are: Big Monday on ESPN, Saturday at noon on ESPN and weekend games on CBS-network television.  SJU did land a CBS game, Saturday February 2nd 4 PM against Georgetown in DC.

Does anyone know the last time St. John's had a CBS game that did not involve Duke, UCLA or any non-conference opponent.  In other words when was the last time a SJU Big East game was on CBS?

« Reply #174 on: September 05, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
I see Rumble in The Garden and some other sources have the schedule with dates and locations posted...

Are we really playing UCONN on campus??!   
I'm almost always in favor of playing big games at the garden... but this would be a change of pace if true.   Good wrinkle to the schedule.

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2012/9/5/3293847/st-johns-red-storm-full-big-east-basketball-schedule-2012-13

UCONN at Carnesecca would be an absolute stunner if so.  I know they are expected to be down this year but as I said earlier there are certain programs, Georgetown, Syracuse, Lousiville, UCONN, Notre Dame etc. that you can take it to the bank will be MSG games assuming they are home.

« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »
Just to follow up, they have BOTH Rutgers and Seton Hall (who is not projected to be very good this year) as MSG games and UCONN as a campus game? Very ODD.

desco80

« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2012, 01:01:30 PM »
OK, a little sense to the madness.    The school posted the official schedule, it appears that UCONN game was a typo.
UCONN is at MSG, but so are both Rutgers and Seton Hall

Depaul and USF are the only on campus BE games.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stjo/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/schedule/schedule.pdf

« Reply #177 on: September 05, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »
OK, a little sense to the madness.    The school posted the official schedule, it appears that UCONN game was a typo.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/stjo/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/schedule/schedule.pdf

Yup, mildly surprised.  I guessed the DePaul, USF games at Carnesecca but I also guessed probably SHU and RU too. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:07:24 PM by fordham96 »

desco80

« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »

Yup, mildly surprised.  I guessed the DePaul, USF games at Carnesecca but I also guessed probably SHU and RU too.

Yea, been awhile since we've played Rutgers or Seton Hall at the garden, no?   

Moose

« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »

Called this one awhile back.  Had a feeling we would see only 2 CA games. 

Would have been funny if we had Cuse at home and that game was listed as CA.  Imagine the celebration on our end and the uproar on theirs :)