2012/2013 Schedule

• 222 replies

Moose

Re: 2012/2013 Schedule
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 03:52:27 PM »
So how many games do you think end up on campus v at MSG?

Gotta figure Seton Hall, USF, and Depaul are probably on campus.  Rest should be at MSG right?   
It will be interesting though, because we haven't played Rutgers at MSG in awhile.  They've usually been on campus.   But in years past we typically only play 2-3 conference games at CA.   4 would be a lot. 

Depending on the dates the Garden has available since again its a late start for them this year I would say 2 on campus rest at MSG

They are going to play USF and Rutgers or SHU at MSG???  They won't draw flies for those games.

Remember in Lavin's first year, 2010-11, they played 4 of the 9 at Carnesecca.  USF, DePaul, Rutgers and Cincy.  So it is not unusual.

It has to do with dates available primarily.  And then you deal with past success.  Lavin's 1st yr was after how many years it resembled a morgue.  With both Garden teams having a late start due to construction again dates will be at a premium.  I can see us playing Rutgers or Hall there without question.  Thats not that far from a possibility as you make it seem.  DePaul and USF are very safe bets for CA.

I disagree a little.  I think it has a lot to do with the traditional opponents and then perhaps the non-traditional opponents who are projected to have good years.  Last year the breakdown was 7-2.  But that is largely due to SHU, RU and USF were all road games.  ND, Georgetown, Villanova, Syracuse and Louisville are teams you will NEVER see at Carnesecca.  Throw in UCONN when SJU gets them at home in that category. West Virginia has had a lot of success recently under Huggins so they played at MSG the last few years.  That leaves Cincy.  But Cincy was projected to be a top 6 team in the BE last year.  Providence and DePaul were considered bottom feeders so they get Carnesecca.

I could be wrong but of the 4 teams that I could see at Carnesecca next year: USF, RU, SHU and DePaul, I am going to guess you will get at least 3 of them.  Perhaps USF graduates because they made the NCAA's and people think they are worthy.

We rent the Garden.  We want more games there because its more $.  So while they are not strong tradition teams, provided we don't have a bone to pick like with Hall and Gonzo, we would prefer to play at MSG.  Its just not so cut and dry.  The other factor is TV and usually we like getting on TV so lots of 12pm weekend games so Garden can still flip to NYR or Knicks but again lots of factors.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 04:01:21 PM »
So how many games do you think end up on campus v at MSG?

Gotta figure Seton Hall, USF, and Depaul are probably on campus.  Rest should be at MSG right?   
It will be interesting though, because we haven't played Rutgers at MSG in awhile.  They've usually been on campus.   But in years past we typically only play 2-3 conference games at CA.   4 would be a lot. 

Depending on the dates the Garden has available since again its a late start for them this year I would say 2 on campus rest at MSG

They are going to play USF and Rutgers or SHU at MSG???  They won't draw flies for those games.

Remember in Lavin's first year, 2010-11, they played 4 of the 9 at Carnesecca.  USF, DePaul, Rutgers and Cincy.  So it is not unusual.

It has to do with dates available primarily.  And then you deal with past success.  Lavin's 1st yr was after how many years it resembled a morgue.  With both Garden teams having a late start due to construction again dates will be at a premium.  I can see us playing Rutgers or Hall there without question.  Thats not that far from a possibility as you make it seem.  DePaul and USF are very safe bets for CA.

I disagree a little.  I think it has a lot to do with the traditional opponents and then perhaps the non-traditional opponents who are projected to have good years.  Last year the breakdown was 7-2.  But that is largely due to SHU, RU and USF were all road games.  ND, Georgetown, Villanova, Syracuse and Louisville are teams you will NEVER see at Carnesecca.  Throw in UCONN when SJU gets them at home in that category. West Virginia has had a lot of success recently under Huggins so they played at MSG the last few years.  That leaves Cincy.  But Cincy was projected to be a top 6 team in the BE last year.  Providence and DePaul were considered bottom feeders so they get Carnesecca.

I could be wrong but of the 4 teams that I could see at Carnesecca next year: USF, RU, SHU and DePaul, I am going to guess you will get at least 3 of them.  Perhaps USF graduates because they made the NCAA's and people think they are worthy.

We rent the Garden.  We want more games there because its more $.  So while they are not strong tradition teams, provided we don't have a bone to pick like with Hall and Gonzo, we would prefer to play at MSG.  Its just not so cut and dry.  The other factor is TV and usually we like getting on TV so lots of 12pm weekend games so Garden can still flip to NYR or Knicks but again lots of factors.

I agree there are other factors but I think my formula has been consistent over the years with a few exceptions.

Norm's last year, 2009-10, the breakdown was 5-4 again.  The five MSG opponents were Cincy (projected to be an NCAA team but collapsed at the end of the year and settled for the NIT), West Virginia, Nova, Louisville and Pitt.  4 Carnesecca: Marquette (overachieved-Picked I believe 13th that year and finished 12-6 in BE), Providence, SHU and DePaul.  So if you flip Cincy with Marquette you get the same breakdown.  5 MSG opponents all made the NCAA's, 4 Carnesecca opponents all missed the NCAA's.  But again Cincy was projected to be higher then Marquette that year.

Interesting because Cincy was projected the following year to take a hit with the loss of Lance and Vaughn and they ended up being better.  But based on that Cincy was put at Carnesecca for the 2010-11 season after being at MSG the prior year.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:02:33 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 04:11:09 PM »
The more interesting thing is where does SJU play these new BE teams.  With traditional MSG opponents Syracuse, Pitt and WVU gone who if anyone replaces them.

UCF?  SMU?  Probably Memphis and Temple get MSG dates right off the bat.

desco80

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2012, 04:16:27 PM »
Yea, I'm starting to rethink what I said based on Fordham's evidence.   I guess 4 on campus games really isn't that out of the ordinary.
Although i agree with Moose that if they bump a team from CA to MSG it won't be USF, it'll be Hall or more likely, Rutgers.

Also I think it depends somewhat on who we pick up out of conference.  Because as of now we don't have an out of conference MSG worthy opponent.  No Duke, UCLA etc. 

The BE-SEC game against South Carolina is also on campus.   So it looks like we might have quite a few meaningful games at Carnesseca this year.  Which is good.

pmg911

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 04:16:53 PM »
I think Coach Lavin will schedule either Rutgers or Seton Hall at MSG.

In years past, I think Norm was worried about playing these two in the Garden & losing. I don't think Coach Lavin thinks that way and I don't think he really looks at SHU & RU as recruiting rivals.

desco80

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2012, 04:24:18 PM »
The more interesting thing is where does SJU play these new BE teams.  With traditional MSG opponents Syracuse, Pitt and WVU gone who if anyone replaces them.

UCF?  SMU?  Probably Memphis and Temple get MSG dates right off the bat.

Yea I think UCF and SMU are definite campus games.    Temple and Memphis should get MSG.   What about Houston?   I could go either way on them.   They're like a Cinn or WVU to me, if they have a couple good seasons I could us playing them at MSG, but more often than not on campus.

paultzman

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 03:00:50 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Non-conf coming by Fri. RT @STJCoachLavin: #STJbb will be releasing our complete 2012-13 schedule this week. So stay tuned in Gotham City.”

Moose

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 03:02:03 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Non-conf coming by Fri. RT @STJCoachLavin: #STJbb will be releasing our complete 2012-13 schedule this week. So stay tuned in Gotham City.”

Really early for STJ.  Good for them being proactive.

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2012, 06:50:44 PM »
OK Batman! :)

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »

Really early for STJ.  Good for them being proactive.

Now it will be Monday

TONYD3

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
I thought the schedule is based on preseason big east rankings. If so where are we ranked? Thanks

desco80

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 06:26:35 PM »
I thought the schedule is based on preseason big east rankings. If so where are we ranked? Thanks

I don't think we ever actually know, it's a closed vote.  But sometimes the coaches mention it to the press, like Pitino two years ago telling everyone he voted us #1 in the conference.   

But it must have been done before last week, because the BE released our conference opponents, just not the dates and times.

Moose

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 07:03:11 PM »

I don't think we ever actually know, it's a closed vote.  But sometimes the coaches mention it to the press, like Pitino two years ago telling everyone he voted us #1 in the conference.   

But it must have been done before last week, because the BE released our conference opponents, just not the dates and times.

Correct.
BE Media Day will be when we see where we were voted. I think thats in Sept or October.

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2012, 08:56:27 PM »

Correct.
BE Media Day will be when we see where we were voted. I think thats in Sept or October.

Yes, an unofficial poll is taken in June for the purposes of arranging matchups and for specifically TV purposes.  That of course is subject to change by the time the coaches officially are polled in October. 

Obviously things like injuries, late transfers and non-qualifiers can change a team's ranking from June to October.  SJU was pre-season no. 12 in October last year my guess is they were probably a few spots higher in June before the 3 kids were declared ineligible.

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 10:14:20 AM »
Sooooo?

Moose

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
Sooooo?

It's 1030.
Have a cup of coffee ;)

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 12:00:34 PM »
Been ready since friday

paultzman

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2012, 02:19:13 PM »
Off the ledge Backrim!

“@STJ_Basketball: Just about ready but waiting on a few more details, so looking like tomorrow! Thx for patience! RT @IamTimClancy: Schedule today? #stjbb”

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2012, 08:37:30 PM »
St. John's twitter site now saying that ESPN has asked them to wait until Wed. to reveal the schedule (I'm still thinking it's only going to be non-conference).

IMO, that's the day to do it, since it's the most dead sports day in America.