Harkless Update from ESPN

• 130 replies
Re: Harkless Update from ESPN
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2013, 08:03:18 PM »
Where are those who questioned him coming out?

Right here.  Should have stayed in school.  Where is it so written that anything that can go wrong at SJU has to go wrong?  I see good players staying 2, 3, 4 years all across the country.  We get a good player for the first time in more than a decade and he has to leave in one?  Why are we the cursed f**kin program?

Why 'should' he have stayed in school?

So, that I might see an Ncaa tournament win before I start collecting social security (if it still exists by then?) or before N. Korea drops an a-bomb on Long Island.

They can barely get to the west coast with their longest range weapons. If that...Long Island is extreme eastern US. I know it was a joke but the nerd in me had to clear up that the west coast is closest to NK, not east  ;D. Anyway, look at guys like Kilpatrick, Wright, McDermott, etc...great players who can get drafted even in the 1st round do NOT always leave. I think loyalty to the program is a lost mindset. It's just "see money, follow money". Someone said 1 in 50 great NBA level players stay...I would guess more like 25 in 50. I understand people will make it all about money, but you have to remember how much work it was for the coaches to coach you and recruit you and the rest of your team with the name on your chest. If it was me I would obviously want the money, but I would feel an obligation to come back at least 1 more year especially knowing we could put the school back on the map.

Moose

« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2013, 08:03:21 PM »

I really think Moe could have been the #1 overall choice this year.  WEAK draft...I've never seen one this weak at the top.  Moe is 6'8 1/2....could have really broken out this year.  The flipside is that if he didn't get much better, the exta year on his age would have significantly lowered his ceiling in scouts eyes. 

He's in a very good situation right now in Orlando.

Of course you would.

Yeah he could have been Porter.
And he could have snapped his leg.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2013, 08:17:39 PM »

Right here.  Should have stayed in school.  Where is it so written that anything that can go wrong at SJU has to go wrong?  I see good players staying 2, 3, 4 years all across the country.  We get a good player for the first time in more than a decade and he has to leave in one?  Why are we the cursed f**kin program?

Why 'should' he have stayed in school?

So, that I might see an Ncaa tournament win before I start collecting social security (if it still exists by then?) or before N. Korea drops an a-bomb on Long Island.

They can barely get to the west coast with their longest range weapons. If that...Long Island is extreme eastern US. I know it was a joke but the nerd in me had to clear up that the west coast is closest to NK, not east  ;D. Anyway, look at guys like Kilpatrick, Wright, McDermott, etc...great players who can get drafted even in the 1st round do NOT always leave. I think loyalty to the program is a lost mindset. It's just "see money, follow money". Someone said 1 in 50 great NBA level players stay...I would guess more like 25 in 50. I understand people will make it all about money, but you have to remember how much work it was for the coaches to coach you and recruit you and the rest of your team with the name on your chest. If it was me I would obviously want the money, but I would feel an obligation to come back at least 1 more year especially knowing we could put the school back on the map.

Kilpatrick and Wright (are you talking Cashmere) aren't getting drafted in the first round.  Wright won't be drafted at all and Kilpatrick might scratch into the late first round with a big senior season next year.  Right now Ford has him at 126, which I find a bit harsh.  And McDermott plays for his father but even that and helping him transition to the Big East might not keep him around for his senior season, though I think it will.  Really good examples.  LOL

I think it might have to do with some people not understanding how good you have to be to be a first round draft pick.  No way do 50% of potential first round draft picks stay in school each year.

Marillac

« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2013, 08:20:01 PM »

I really think Moe could have been the #1 overall choice this year.  WEAK draft...I've never seen one this weak at the top.  Moe is 6'8 1/2....could have really broken out this year.  The flipside is that if he didn't get much better, the exta year on his age would have significantly lowered his ceiling in scouts eyes. 

Of course you would.

Of course I would?

Moose

« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2013, 08:24:46 PM »

Of course you would.

Of course I would?

Of course you thought he would be #1 pick this year.

Marillac

« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2013, 08:28:22 PM »

Of course you would.

Of course I would?

I didn't think that then...I think that now after seeing how weak this year's crop is and taking into account Moe's success in the league. 

Moose

« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »

Of course you would.

Of course I would?

I didn't think that then...I think that now after seeing how weak this year's crop is and taking into account Moe's success in the league. 

Thanks for clarifying.

« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »
Nice of us to be so selfish.  We want to win, so the kid should not do what is best for him and his family.  We don't know his situation and his needs better than he does.

« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2013, 09:07:01 PM »

Of course you would.

Of course I would?

Still think Quincy miller will be the better pro? ;)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2013, 09:43:43 PM »
 Haha

« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2013, 06:08:24 PM »
Gotta provide the text for the ESPN insider posts.  A lot of us aren't subscribed.  Looks interesting.

DFF6

« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »
Gotta provide the text for the ESPN insider posts.  A lot of us aren't subscribed.  Looks interesting.

4. Maurice Harkless, Orlando Magic

Harkless is having some excellent games for Orlando down the stretch, even though it's plain to see that he doesn't know what he is doing. But long, strong, agile and coachable players can succeed in the NBA, as Harkless is proving. He really isn't using much of his physical talents yet, but that suggests he will be a dynamic player as he learns to play and read this game.

Although the Magic are losing lots of games, it's not as if Harkless is putting up big numbers on high-volume shots in blowouts. In some of his biggest games, the team was very competitive and he was efficient as a scorer in each of those games (111 points in five games on 78 shots). He also has some serious stat-stuffing ability, accumulating rebounds, blocks and steals with ease. Think Andre Iguodala without the talent as a passer, but potentially a much better shooter.

boo3

« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »
Moe with only 8 minutes played ( he started ) and game is in 3rd quarter.  Anyone know if he got hurt?  He's not in foul trouble... Hope he's not injured.

mkras99

« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »
Sore left knee.

boo3

« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2013, 09:56:20 PM »

« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2013, 10:32:07 PM »
Thanks for providing the ESPN insider bit.  Hope the knee heals.

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2013, 07:34:38 PM »

Of course you would.

Of course I would?

Hahaha it's not looking good now, but Denver has the fourth best record in the league at 54-24 and four of its top five scorers are SF's, so it was a pretty bad sitution for Miller to walk into.  Orlando is God-awful and, at best, they are they second worse team in the league at 20-59!! 

I love Moe, but there is no way he'd be playing any minutes on a team that has Iguodala, Galinari, Wilson Chandler, and Corey Brewer.  They all average over 12 ppg.   

« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »

Of course you would.

Of course I would?

Hahaha it's not looking good now, but Denver has the fourth best record in the league at 54-24 and four of its top five scorers are SF's, so it was a pretty bad sitution for Miller to walk into.  Orlando is God-awful and, at best, they are they second worse team in the league at 20-59!! 

I love Moe, but there is no way he'd be playing any minutes on a team that has Iguodala, Galinari, Wilson Chandler, and Corey Brewer.  They all average over 12 ppg.   

Very good point regarding the opportunity that moe is getting. I've always thought that there are plenty of players who would succeed if given the chance, especially at the pro level, it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time and having a coach who believes in you. Looks like moe has really hit the lotto in regards to that.

Nevertheless I still think moe would have been, and still will be, the better pro out of the two.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.