Holy Cross - Game Discussion

• 140 replies

Moose

Re: Holy Cross - Game Discussion
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2012, 03:35:47 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something re: Dom's defense.   From what I've seen in 1+ years he reputation as a defender was greater than actual performance....thus far.

He was guarding that 5'9" PG from HC and that kid basically did what he wanted to.

12 points on 4-8 shooting with 5 assists and 2 turnovers is doing what he wanted to do?
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2012, 04:00:11 PM »
 He controlled the tempo of the game for the most part, so , yeah.

Moose

« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »
He controlled the tempo of the game for the most part, so , yeah.

Thats why in the 2nd half they shot so pitiful.

boo3

« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2012, 06:21:21 PM »
Huh?

Anyway, my point was that I disagree with some posters that think Dom is the next Bruce Bowen. I watched his D on Burrell and wasn't all that impressed.   You may disagree. 

Tiznow

« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2012, 06:33:49 PM »
Boo,

Pointer had 53 steals as a freshmen.  He was second on his team in blocks behind a kid who now starts in the NBA.

Thus far into his sophmore season he is second in steals and third in blocks.  He is sixth in minutes played.  At this early point in the preseason (real season is the BE season) a couple of his steals were timely and energized his team.  I think we'll see more of those steals in close games that matter.

He'll be even better when he gains experience and starts playing younger and clueless underclassmen.

boo3

« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2012, 06:51:39 PM »
Boo,

Pointer had 53 steals as a freshmen.  He was second on his team in blocks behind a kid who now starts in the NBA.

Thus far into his sophmore season he is second in steals and third in blocks.  He is sixth in minutes played.  At this early point in the preseason (real season is the BE season) a couple of his steals were timely and energized his team.  I think we'll see more of those steals in close games that matter.

He'll be even better when he gains experience and starts playing younger and clueless underclassmen.

Good post.  Like I said, I'm not trying to say he is not good defensively, because he is.  I think , moving forward, he will lose minutes to Felix.  I think Felix can do similar things, in regards to steals and blocks, and is less a liability on the offensive end.

I was one of those who predicted last year that Dom would have the biggest impact of all the freshman, so clearly, I know very little. If he turns out to be BE defensive player of the year, I'll gladly admit I was wrong.  It caught me off guard when someone mentioned Dom and NBA in the same sentence.   

Tiznow

« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2012, 07:06:13 PM »
OK - yea, he's a four year player.  I want to see Pointer in a johnny uniform all four years.  Hopefully, he does not lose too much court time. 

I think he will become a fan favorite by his senior year with his hustle and D.  He won't become a BE defensive player of the year by then because there won't be a BE in two years.  But he will be a key to our first final four team in a long long time.

Felix looks like a nice four year player too.  I think Lavin values both of them and will find a way to keep them.

Marillac

« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2012, 07:19:29 PM »
Huh?

Anyway, my point was that I disagree with some posters that think Dom is the next Bruce Bowen. I watched his D on Burrell and wasn't all that impressed.   You may disagree. 

I agree with you.  His on-ball defense is average at best and not fitting of his high school rep.  He gets beat off the bounce repeatedly like the rest of the team.  He is a great help defender and he has quick hands that allow him to add to his defensive stats.  The potential is there, but he is far from a lockdown defender at this point. 

Moose

« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2012, 07:53:24 PM »
Huh?

Let me expand.  You all star in the making who had a whopping 12 points and 5 assists to go with 5 TO's 'led' his team to nothing in the 2nd half really.  Refer to the STJ game notes which recite the statistics of the improved 2nd half defense.

If you think a 6'5 kid should be defending a kid that was 5'8 at best then I don't know what to tell you.  Pointer did just fine vs him considering the fact it looked like he was playing against his little cousin.  The kid was quicker than Pointer as he should be considering his stature.

boo3

« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »
Huh?

Let me expand.  You all star in the making who had a whopping 12 points and 5 assists to go with 5 TO's 'led' his team to nothing in the 2nd half really.  Refer to the STJ game notes which recite the statistics of the improved 2nd half defense.

If you think a 6'5 kid should be defending a kid that was 5'8 at best then I don't know what to tell you.  Pointer did just fine vs him considering the fact it looked like he was playing against his little cousin.  The kid was quicker than Pointer as he should be considering his stature.

Wow... you just make stuff up to prove your argument.  You're right Moose.  You win.  I'm not going to bother explaining myself for the 5th time because you don't read anyway.  Btw- He had 2 turnovers, but don't let the actual stats sway you.

Plus Marillac agrees with me, and he's right 90% of the time...  So there!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:05:52 PM by boo3 »

boo3

« Reply #130 on: November 23, 2012, 08:09:54 PM »
  I didn't say He should be guarding Burrell, did I?  I was commenting on the fact that he actually was guarding him.  He was playing him man to man and picking him up in the backcourt. It was pretty easy to watch and observe. 

The 12pt and 5 assists are season averages for him. So Dom didn't exactly take the kid out of his game now, did he?

It was my observation. Like I said, you may disagree.   He will be matched up which much tougher opponents in the weeks to come.  So we will see. 

Moose

« Reply #131 on: November 23, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
Huh?

Wow... you just make stuff up to prove your argument.  You're right Moose.  You win.  I'm not going to bother explaining myself for the 5th time because you don't read anyway.  Btw- He had 2 turnovers, but don't let the actual stats sway you.

Plus Marillac agrees with me, and he's right 90% of the time...  So there!

I typed 5 TO's by accident this time but if you 'read' before you saw I typed 2.  So don't jump all down my throat when I typed it right the first time.  Besides that slip what am I 'making up' exactly?

So in your world Dom all 6'5 of him should be able to stay in front of a 5'8 PG?  Just want to make sure I'm understanding you right.

Moose

« Reply #132 on: November 23, 2012, 08:14:06 PM »
  I didn't say He should be guarding Burrell, did I?  I was commenting on the fact that he actually was guarding him.  He was playing him man to man and picking him up in the backcourt. It was pretty easy to watch and observe. 

The 12pt and 5 assists are season averages for him. So Dom didn't exactly take the kid out of his game now, did he?

It was my observation. Like I said, you may disagree.   He will be matched up which much tougher opponents in the weeks to come.  So we will see. 

Did he guard him the entire game?  I don't think Dom did anything superior to him, but I love there are those criticizing his defense because he didnt dominate a 5'8 midget who is clearly faster.  You said that the PG had his way.  I disagreed with that statement.

I'm just baffled lately overall with the nit picking that our fans (not singling you) have been doing of late.  I guess its because were spoiled with all those national championships we have......errr wait.

boo3

« Reply #133 on: November 23, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
 I used the HC game as an example, but in general, I haven't been overly impressed with his man to man defense. Like Marillac said, he's a much better help defender.

I'm usually not one to nitpick and the only reason i brought it up was to because someone stated that Dom's defense was NBA ready.  I certainly don't agree with that.

Nice try trying to sneak the 5 TO's in though... ( I kid, I kid)

Moose

« Reply #134 on: November 23, 2012, 08:32:11 PM »
I used the HC game as an example, but in general, I haven't been overly impressed with his man to man defense. Like Marillac said, he's a much better help defender.

I'm usually not one to nitpick and the only reason i brought it up was to because someone stated that Dom's defense was NBA ready.  I certainly don't agree with that.

Everyone is a great help defender.  You can always look great when your the 2nd one to join the party and swipe a ball or block something.  Lets not let Marillac's head get too big now ;)

I just like how Amir has 2 bad games and ppl are all on him.  Dom isn't scoring so the one thing you really can't measure some will say its overrated.  Marco has taken 2 shots thus far and he's a waste of a schollie to some.

I know everyone likes to talk NBA with our guys but I agree Dom and NBA is not a discussion we need to have for another 2 1/2 years regardless of his defensive rep

boo3

« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2012, 08:53:54 PM »

Everyone is a great help defender.  You can always look great when your the 2nd one to join the party and swipe a ball or block something.  Lets not let Marillac's head get too big now ;)

I just like how Amir has 2 bad games and ppl are all on him.  Dom isn't scoring so the one thing you really can't measure some will say its overrated.  Marco has taken 2 shots thus far and he's a waste of a schollie to some.

I know everyone likes to talk NBA with our guys but I agree Dom and NBA is not a discussion we need to have for another 2 1/2 years regardless of his defensive rep

I agree with you. Amir will be just fine. I'm not concerned with him at all.  I want to see more of what Felix can d also. He was fun to watch.  I think he may be a threat to some of Pointer's minutes. I have no opinion on Marco yet. I haven't seen him for more than a few minutes so far.

« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2012, 01:32:44 PM »

I was sitting next to the guy who coordinates the NBA draft and he was impressed with Dom changing the game. He was the only guy on the team who was able to stay with Burrell and still do some ball hawking in the bargain.  If he and Felix can coexist we can make noise against anyone with games on the line.  I think our bigs are a little behind and have to learn to move their feet and throw some weight around underneath.  I'd like to see Jones knock some people around and soften them up for CO when he comes in.

Poison

« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2012, 02:01:27 PM »

I just like how Amir has 2 bad games and ppl are all on him.  Dom isn't scoring so the one thing you really can't measure
some will say its overrated.  Marco has taken 2 shots thus far and he's a waste of a schollie to some.

Marco hasn't played yet. We have no idea what he can do. Let's give it a little time. Some jucos need time to adjust to D1 ball.

Moose

« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2012, 02:03:14 PM »

I just like how Amir has 2 bad games and ppl are all on him.  Dom isn't scoring so the one thing you really can't measure
some will say its overrated.  Marco has taken 2 shots thus far and he's a waste of a schollie to some.

Marco hasn't played yet. We have no idea what he can do. Let's give it a little time. Some jucos need time to adjust to D1 ball.

Oh I agree with you.  Just reciting what the inmates are saying

« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »
Agree Bobre.  To me the biggest thing we are lacking right now is a banger who can present a threat in the low post and rebound.  Hopefully Sanchez is that guy (even if only for stretches), or some combination of Jones and Obekpa become that guy as the season progresses.  Obviously a big learning curve with the latter.  Branch will help with ball movement and distribution, and Jakar looks like he is going to be deadly in the high post (Jones can probably play there too a bit).  But it seems like we rarely have anyone under the glass when a shot goes up.  With our athleticism, I think we should get more rebounds on the offensive side, and certainly protect the glass better on defense.