Villanova game thread

• 613 replies

Moose

Re: Villanova game thread
« Reply #520 on: January 03, 2013, 01:45:01 PM »
Sometimes your name references blow by me.  I'll chalk it up to age.  Not sure who Robby Benson is

Ask Wasju.  He was a card carrying charter member of his fan club back in the day and still has a poster of him on his bedroom wall to this day.

Did you go to the game yesterday?

No.  I did my traveling this year for this team.  No more road trips.  This teams isn't worthy of more from me.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #521 on: January 03, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »
I would caution blaming the Coach for the players' lack of excution. If Coach designs a play were D'Lo comes off a down screen to get open for the ball and he doesn't get it, is that the Coach's fault? Green, Pointer, and Garrett (love his heart) deserve limited minutes. Marco shouldn't even see the floor. As a team, defensively, they are not playing together and that is on Coach.   

It was playing Phil at the point in the waning minutes of regulation that was on Coach. Phil cannot execute at the point, especially in the halfcourt, like Jamal can.

So while it's on the players to execute, it's on Coach to have the right players on the floor to execute in the most efficient manner possible.

Agreed but Phil hit some big shots down the stretch that got us to OT, you cant have it both ways

Not sayin take Phil out the game. In fact I want him playin as much as possible. I really like Phil's game.

But his game is at 2G. That's where he belong.

If that means playing a 3G lineup down the stretch, so be it.

I have no doubt that DLo woulda gotten better looks down the stretch had Jamal handled the point.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:47:13 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #522 on: January 03, 2013, 01:46:33 PM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076500/
For you and the other Meese too young to remember Robby Benson.

After Hoosiers the best basketball movie made IMO. Robby could play too. The kid from San Fran that killed us looked and played like his Henry Steele character in the movie.

« Reply #523 on: January 03, 2013, 01:47:35 PM »
Sometimes your name references blow by me.  I'll chalk it up to age.  Not sure who Robby Benson is

Ask Wasju.  He was a card carrying charter member of his fan club back in the day and still has a poster of him on his bedroom wall to this day.

Did you go to the game yesterday?

No.  I did my traveling this year for this team.  No more road trips.  This teams isn't worthy of more from me.

I'm hoping this teams level of play rises to half your level of fandom!  :up:

« Reply #524 on: January 03, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
Not sayin take Phil out the game. In fact I want him playin as much as possible.

Just sayin put him where he is most effective: 2G

If that means playing a 3G lineup down the stretch, so be it.

I have no doubt that DLo woulda gotten better looks down the stretch had Jamal handled the point.

I agree with Choz
So to quote Rocky Balboa from Rocky 4" If I can change and Choz can change, maybe Lavin can change"..... or something like that

« Reply #525 on: January 03, 2013, 01:52:40 PM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076500/
For you and the other Meese too young to remember Robby Benson.

After Hoosiers the best basketball movie made IMO. Robby could play too. The kid from San Fran that killed us looked and played like his Henry Steele character in the movie.

I'm just gonna copy you and use Robby as a reference anytime we get torched for a career day by an unknown white guard.  I'm sure it'll happen again soon.

« Reply #526 on: January 03, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »
Jimmy Chitwood > Robbie Benson 24/7/365.

« Reply #527 on: January 03, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »
Not a lot of great basketball movies
1. Hoosiers
2. One on One
3. Teen Wolf co- starring Norm Roberts as Teen Wolf's coach
4. Blue Chips-just for basketball scenes, movie sucked
5. He got Game???? Terrible movie

« Reply #528 on: January 03, 2013, 01:59:47 PM »

Now Hoosiers is in my top 5 favorite movies and even though he only said one line the entire movie "I'll make it", I firmly believe Jimmy should have won an oscar. HOWEVER, in a one on one game I am going with Henry Steele. He played with style, sort of a little Pistol Pete. Jimmy was a little overated, sort of a Steve Novak, JJ Reddick type.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:00:25 PM by we are sju »

Happy

« Reply #529 on: January 03, 2013, 02:06:15 PM »
Not a lot of great basketball movies
1. Hoosiers
2. One on One
3. Teen Wolf co- starring Norm Roberts as Teen Wolf's coach
4. Blue Chips-just for basketball scenes, movie sucked
5. He got Game???? Terrible movie

Don't you dare forget the Air up there with Kevin Bacon  :)

Moose

« Reply #530 on: January 03, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »
For Love and Basketball

« Reply #531 on: January 03, 2013, 02:09:28 PM »
For Love and Basketball

Chic flick but not terrible actually

« Reply #532 on: January 03, 2013, 02:10:05 PM »
For Love and Basketball

Drop the for.

How bout coach carter?
Also liked Glory Road.
Both had some shaddy basketball scenes but good movie overall.
Neither the classic that is Hoosiers though. Gene Hackman one of the best to ever do it.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #533 on: January 03, 2013, 02:11:10 PM »
I would caution blaming the Coach for the players' lack of excution. If Coach designs a play were D'Lo comes off a down screen to get open for the ball and he doesn't get it, is that the Coach's fault? Green, Pointer, and Garrett (love his heart) deserve limited minutes. Marco shouldn't even see the floor. As a team, defensively, they are not playing together and that is on Coach.   

It was playing Phil at the point in the waning minutes of regulation that was on Coach. Phil cannot execute at the point, especially in the halfcourt, like Jamal can.

So while it's on the players to execute, it's on Coach to have the right players on the floor to execute in the most efficient manner possible.

No doubt Jamal is a better point/player than Phil. It being Jamal's first BE game, and only second game in a year, may have something to do with it. Coach is being loyal to Phil and wants to develop him into being a point guard, that's his chance of making it to the league. Although Phil may not be able to execute as well, he does take care of the ball and usually doesn't force anything that would lead to a TO. If Phil continues to run point after Jamal shakes off the rust then it will be on Coach. 

Moose

« Reply #534 on: January 03, 2013, 02:12:25 PM »
For Love and Basketball

Drop the for.

How bout coach carter?
Also liked Glory Road.
Neither the classic that is Hoosiers though. Gene Hackman one of the best to ever do it.

My bad.  I gotta hang with Francesca more to get my movie titles right :)

« Reply #535 on: January 03, 2013, 02:13:03 PM »

Now Hoosiers is in my top 5 favorite movies and even though he only said one line the entire movie "I'll make it", I firmly believe Jimmy should have won an oscar. HOWEVER, in a one on one game I am going with Henry Steele. He played with style, sort of a little Pistol Pete. Jimmy was a little overated, sort of a Steve Novak, JJ Reddick type.

C'mon now.

Jimmy would do the crossover pullup from 20 out and nail it in Steele's face evrytime.

Only thing that could EVER stop him was Norman Dale's tuff love. "I don't care if you play or not." Miss.

« Reply #536 on: January 03, 2013, 02:13:08 PM »
For Love and Basketball

BTW
I have to think Pedro Cerano is the all time leader for appearances in sports movies, no? He was in every Major League, Mr Baseball and Love & Basketball. Between that, playing the President on 24 and hawking insurance Pedro must have eked out a nice little living.

« Reply #537 on: January 03, 2013, 02:14:12 PM »
For Love and Basketball

Drop the for.

How bout coach carter?
Also liked Glory Road.

My bad.  I gotta hang with Francesca more to get my movie titles right :)

haha he wouldnt make it through the previews!

WFAN's Sweeny Murti Puts Mike Francesa to Sleep

« Reply #538 on: January 03, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »
For Love and Basketball

BTW
I have to think Pedro Cerano is the all time leader for appearances in sports movies, no? He was in every Major League, Mr Baseball and Love & Basketball. Between that, playing the President on 24 and hawking insurance Pedro must have eked out a nice little living.

Great in major league!

« Reply #539 on: January 03, 2013, 02:15:46 PM »
C'mon now.

Jimmy would do the crossover pullup from 20 out and nail it in Steele's face evrytime.

Only thing that could EVER stop him was Norman Dale's tuff love. "I don't care if you play or not." Miss

If Jimmy was playing for SJU some of you guys would be complaining about his D like my man Larry Wright!