Orlando Sanchez CLEARED by NCAA

• 131 replies
Re: Re: Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2013, 06:35:06 PM »
First...adding Orlando/Gift/Hooper and possibly Jordan....where does thank put us in the recruiting rankings??? That is a great class regardless if Jordan comes.

Also....Lots of people are dogging Gift for whatever reason.  I for one, am excited to see him next year with a full complament of players surrounding him.  I think too much was put on his plate and he was forced into a situation where he wasnt fully comfortable last year. 

If for nothing else, he is a guy we can throw out there that can give us 5 more fouls.  I truely believe he sees more time than us experts expect!!

For  goodness sake, he's a PROVEN  9 pt, 6 reb 53% FG  Big East player.  Of COURSE he's gonna  get minutese.   He'd be our #3 scorer and #3 rebounder, and LEADING the team in FG% THIS year with his junior year production.
We clearly agree...I'm talking to the others who think Gift will not play or we will just let him walk!!

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
First...adding Orlando/Gift/Hooper and possibly Jordan....where does thank put us in the recruiting rankings??? That is a great class regardless if Jordan comes.

Also....Lots of people are dogging Gift for whatever reason.  I for one, am excited to see him next year with a full complament of players surrounding him.  I think too much was put on his plate and he was forced into a situation where he wasnt fully comfortable last year. 

If for nothing else, he is a guy we can throw out there that can give us 5 more fouls.  I truely believe he sees more time than us experts expect!!

For  goodness sake, he's a PROVEN  9 pt, 6 reb 53% FG  Big East player.  Of COURSE he's gonna  get minutese.   He'd be our #3 scorer and #3 rebounder, and LEADING the team in FG% THIS year with his junior year production.

While I agree with you he has a spot on the team, let's not kid ourselves into thinking he'll come close to those numbers. I'm hoping for 4 and 3.

desco80

« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2013, 06:45:51 PM »

He did that on a team with 5 scholarship players!!   All freshmen.   All smaller than him.  All of whom, frankly, were wing players. 
He got numbers because we literally didn't have a bench last season.   And, after conference play started - Dunlap played him less and less.   An NBA coach preferred starting 5 undersized freshmen than using the 6'8 230+lbs chiseled center that you are heralding so much.   What does that tell you about his skill level?

The fact that he's not playing right now speaks for itself.   And the notion that coach thought Sanchez might be eligible, is no defense.
If they didn't think Gift could play ahead of Obekpa and Sanchez this year, how is that going to be any different a year from now?   Add in a more experienced Sampson, and a potentially improved Jones.... Gift isn't seeing the floor.   

Again, I have nothing against Gift.  Seems like a good student, and a nice guy.   But he's not a very good basketball player.   A year of not seeing him has made many of you forget how frustrating he could be.   

desco80

« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2013, 06:47:16 PM »

We clearly agree...I'm talking to the others who think Gift will not play or we will just let him walk!!

let him walk?   we're driving him to the airport. 
letting him redshirt was a favor to him, because coach knew Gift wasn't going to play this season.    He's getting his degree and he's out of here.  Mark my words.

And the fact we need his scholarship isn't insignificant either.    He's expendable.  And we did the right thing by him by letting him redshirt and get his degree so he can transfer immediately.   
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:50:11 PM by desco80 »

paultzman

« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2013, 07:00:13 PM »
“@SethOnHoops: Orlando Sanchez is a difference maker for SJU. Long rangy can make shots   Skilled player!!”

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2013, 07:05:08 PM »
We are starting to encounter the best problem a team can have: finding ways to distribute playing time because we have so many studs! Sanchez can really open things up outside for us which can result in kickouts to wide open Harrison/Bourgault/Hooper which would VASTLY increase our 3 pt percentage. Now can we swap Greene with Jordan?  ;D

redslope

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »
Time to change subject heading as Orlando is now in the Front row.  This up there with Free Willy--great ending
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:14:38 PM by redslope »

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2013, 07:20:24 PM »
Is it taking it too far to admit I teared up reading the article and shouted so loud that the neighbors probably think I just got murdered?

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2013, 07:27:48 PM »
“@SethOnHoops: Orlando Sanchez is a difference maker for SJU. Long rangy can make shots   Skilled player!!”

When did Seth see any Monroe Community College games?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2013, 07:28:42 PM »

Greenberg recruited him.

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2013, 07:29:08 PM »
Is it taking it too far to admit I teared up reading the article and shouted so loud that the neighbors probably think I just got murdered?

Probably a bit too far... :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:30:09 PM by redstorm212 »

Re: Orlando Sanchez CLEARED by NCAA
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2013, 07:30:55 PM »

Greenberg recruited him.

Ahh I thought that was Seth Davis....ooops.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

ras

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2013, 07:36:57 PM »

letting him redshirt was a favor to him, because coach knew Gift wasn't going to play this season.    He's getting his degree and he's out of here.  Mark my words.

And the fact we need his scholarship isn't insignificant either.    He's expendable.  And we did the right thing by him by letting him redshirt and get his degree so he can transfer immediately.
Im not bringing up something new. But why not have let him play this year. We could have used him as opposed to using a scholi and let him walk . We were also pursuing Lawrence so if we got both Lawrence and Jorden we could have used the scholi and now throw in Sanchez for next year. Doesnt make sense to me.

paultzman

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2013, 07:39:53 PM »

Im not bringing up something new. But why not have let him play this year. We could have used him as opposed to using a scholi and let him walk . We were also pursuing Lawrence so if we got both Lawrence and Jorden we could have used the scholi and now throw in Sanchez for next year. Doesnt make sense to me.

Just enjoy a great day and forget what you can't undo. Lol New league, Orlando, maybe Jordan, life is good!!

ras

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2013, 07:42:29 PM »

Just enjoy a great day and forget what you can't undo. Lol New league, Orlando, maybe Jordan, life is good!!
+1

paultzman

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2013, 08:16:49 PM »
“@STJCoachLavin: We are pleased with the NCAA's decision to grant Orlando Sanchez a year of eligibility. #stjbb”

“@STJCoachLavin: Grateful that he will be able to contribute on the court next season, as well as pursue his dream of earning his college degree. #stjbb”

“@STJCoachLavin: We are proud of how Orlando demonstrated patience and grace during this process. #stjbb”

“@STJCoachLavin: Orlando is as well-rounded and versatile an athlete as I’ve coached. He has a uniquely diverse skill set for a player his size. #stjbb”

“@STJCoachLavin: He can playmake, shot make, defend multiple positions, block shots and rebound. #stjbb”

“@STJCoachLavin: Orlando is a selfless team player, with a competitive spirit that will help us as we continue the efforts to elevate the #stjbb program.”

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »
Yes. Now hopefully we have no defections and Rysheed comes here and we can be a very good team!

MCNPA

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2013, 08:30:05 PM »
Great news for Orlando and SJU.  SJU will have a dynamic forward that can score next to Jakarr.  If we can somehow land Rysheed we will be in amazing shape.

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
I really think the ultimate tipping point besides the public outcry was the revelation that the rule in question was not even a rule anymore.