Orlando Sanchez CLEARED by NCAA

• 131 replies
Re: Orlando Sanchez CLEARED by NCAA
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2013, 09:23:41 PM »
I am so pumped...this really completely changes everything. It takes the bitter taste away from Lawrence, and if everyone stays it really does make us a veteran club that should crack the top 25 next year. By the way, like my avatar?  :2funny:

uwsfan

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2013, 09:30:19 PM »
I am so pumped...this really completely changes everything. It takes the bitter taste away from Lawrence, and if everyone stays it really does make us a veteran club that should crack the top 25 next year. By the way, like my avatar?  :2funny:

I'll go even further.
With Orlandos addition, if Jakarr returns, they should crack the top 25 before next season starts.

With all key players remaining healthy and improved coaching, they can crack the top 15 during the season and have legitimate Final 4 ambitions.

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2013, 09:51:50 PM »
They won't be preseason top 25, but they may get 2 or 3 votes. Unfortunately they tend to base the previous year's performance on the next year's projection it seems. Don't see too many teams enter the top 25 in the preseason poll after not being in the top 25 all year last season. But I think during the early OOC schedule we should be able to at least crack the top 25 maybe somewhere in the 20's. We should overpower teams with size now with Gift and Sanchez plus hopefully a heavier Sampson and Obekpa in terms of muscle. That doesn't even begin to mention Jones. I know this is a huge leap, but imagine if Obekpa somehow develops a solid offensive game for next season? That gives us Sampson, Sanchez, and Obekpa as post scorers.

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2013, 09:56:26 PM »
If we're able to get Jordan and Jakarr and D"Lo dont leave, we are in the pre season top 25!

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »
Getting Jordan would give us insane depth. I was just thinking of things this way...next year assuming all stay which they should, we will have a frontline of the Big East ROY, the #1 shot blocker in the nation, and a DR national team player. If we get all our guys back, next year is the time to shine mightily. The roster accompanied with a more winnable conference with Cuse, Pitt, L'Ville, etc. out of the picture should really allow us to be that top 25 team. No excuses next year unless injuries occur (knock on wood).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:06:29 PM by RedStormyNight »

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2013, 10:08:14 PM »
Not as much as Orlando seems to!

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2013, 10:18:17 PM »
It's one thing to know we will have the horses to do something special next year, but another to see these guys goofing off with each other. This is a mix of guys who get along together and it's great to see them enjoying each other's company! Hopefully that translates to more chemistry on the court. I can see it now...alley oops and inside dishes to Sanchez for the slam or easy layup. We need those easier high percentage looks and he should be more than capable of at least being solid in that area.

kjd01067

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2013, 10:25:13 PM »
This is great news. I am happy as a st johns basketball fan but I am more happy for orlando. Justice although late has finally been served

« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2013, 12:40:49 AM »
curiously--or maybe not--we are not hearing from those posters who vociferously criticized Lavin for recruiring Sanchez, or said Sanchez was leaving to play in Europe, or claimed he had already left, or castigated the staff for misleading Sanchez about his prospects, or accused Lavin of lying , etc, etc. How about some posts saying --gee, I jumped to unwarranted conclusions, accused when I knew nothing, criticized with no basis in fact, etc, etc. How about a resolution to think before spouting? Then again, how silly of me to suggest such a sensible conclusion. Same type of unwarranted assumptions-criticisms going on now about Coach's decision on Harrison. Will some of us never learn? What is it they say about people who continue to repeat the same mistakes?

« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2013, 08:03:54 AM »
curiously--or maybe not--we are not hearing from those posters who vociferously criticized Lavin for recruiring Sanchez, or said Sanchez was leaving to play in Europe, or claimed he had already left, or castigated the staff for misleading Sanchez about his prospects, or accused Lavin of lying , etc, etc. How about some posts saying --gee, I jumped to unwarranted conclusions, accused when I knew nothing, criticized with no basis in fact, etc, etc. How about a resolution to think before spouting? Then again, how silly of me to suggest such a sensible conclusion. Same type of unwarranted assumptions-criticisms going on now about Coach's decision on Harrison. Will some of us never learn? What is it they say about people who continue to repeat the same mistakes?
i spoke to sanchez and a friend of his in december and both said he's looking into europe.
i spoke to sanchez at monroe college yesterday and he told me there's no way he's leaving.  he said getting a degree is important to him.  also spoke to bourgault.  he'd like more playing time, but he's not as stressed about it as we are.

Poison

« Reply #90 on: March 04, 2013, 08:07:16 AM »

At the end of the day, we should forget the details. If you win 16 games, and play in the CBI, you've had a bad season. Slice it up any way you like. But it's a bad year.

« Reply #91 on: March 04, 2013, 08:10:02 AM »

At the end of the day, we should forget the details. If you win 16 games, and play in the CBI, you've had a bad season. Slice it up any way you like. But it's a bad year.
this was a pretty bad year.  not norm bad...but bad.

paultzman

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »
Disappointing season for sure. The premise of Lavin's teams peaking at end of season did not prove true. Throw all the impediments on the table, but you are what your record indicates. Adversity is always part of equation. On to next year, where I have a minimum expectation of NCAA Tourney.

« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2013, 08:39:11 AM »
Granted i feel we have disappointed a little bit, but in the three years he's been here Lavs has had to battle cancer, had his best player get drafted in the top half of the draft, lost his best asst coach to the NBA, lost his father and has had to deal with D'lo issues. But on the bright side we are mentioned with some of the top players across the nation and have two potential NBA players on his roster next season along with some good role players. I truly believe Lavs is in for the long haul and will build this into a strong tourney team year in and year out. We'll be part of a new league with more money coming in and a bit more exposure. We may be a year behind schedule on this rebuilding process but i think we'll look back a few years from now and be happy we hung in their. Some things i would like to see, a true x's and o's type asst coach in the mold of Mike Dunlap and he may be a great guy and knowledgable basketball guy but i really haven't seen what Moe Hicks has brought to the table. Eventhough i know he's only dobo but i thought he had some solid ny ties that would have been more fruitful. Just my current perspective on our current situation and future.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:39:58 AM by erickthered »

Poison

« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2013, 08:46:58 AM »

If we win 16 games, and lose 15, we will finish w the exact same record we had after Norm's 3rd season.

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »

If we win 16 games, and lose 15, we will finish w the exact same record we had after Norm's 3rd season.
the difference is norm never won anywhere...so what else could we expect?  at least lavin had a positive track record in the past.

Poison

« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2013, 10:41:39 AM »

the difference is norm never won anywhere...so what else could we expect?  at least lavin had a positive track record in the past.

That's true. Lavin was successful by our standards at UCLA. However, IMO, if he loses out the rest of the season, he needs to answer for this. It is not our place to question the Harrison decision because we don't know what happened. The team's record however, is 100% fair game.

« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2013, 08:44:10 PM »

That's true. Lavin was successful by our standards at UCLA. However, IMO, if he loses out the rest of the season, he needs to answer for this. It is not our place to question the Harrison decision because we don't know what happened. The team's record however, is 100% fair game.

Losing Sanchez was totally unexpected as was losing Harkless a year ago...with one or both, results are much different...any comparsions to the Norm years are just plain stupid
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:45:07 PM by section3 »

Poison

« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2013, 08:49:55 PM »

Losing Sanchez was totally unexpected as was losing Harkless a year ago...with one or both, results are much different...any comparsions to the Norm years are just plain stupid

I don't think that is an objective comparison. Before year 3, Norm had an expected starting line up of Hill, Kitchen, Thomas, Hamilton & Spears. Injuries and eligibility changed our season. We won 16 games. Just like we have 16 now in year 3.

« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2013, 09:06:51 PM »

I don't think that is an objective comparison. Before year 3, Norm had an expected starting line up of Hill, Kitchen, Thomas, Hamilton & Spears. Injuries and eligibility changed our season. We won 16 games. Just like we have 16 now in year 3.

It's pathetic how many Norm vs. Lavin posts there have been lately. Makes me ashamed of this fan base. Patience not in the vocabulary I guess.

How soon we forget just how bad the Norm era actually was, when we had a group of upperclassmen winning 6 BE games. If that happens under Lavin, then by all means bitch all you want.