Who's act on the court is more unacceptable

• 136 replies

paultzman

Re: Who's act on the court is more unacceptable
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2013, 09:16:15 AM »
IMO, the fight only gave more attention to a nationally televised disgrace. It will not positively impact anything, but just about made an upset of Marquette impossible. Give Rutgers credit, playing without Carter, they went to the wire last night. With the team we put on the floor Saturday, I doubt we will compete. It will probably be just another piece of an imploding season. I feel for these kids. Such public embarrassment is painful.

Foad

« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2013, 09:19:28 AM »
Accepting humiliating losses, even if done graciously, is not what I want to see.  I'd rather see fire and hunger and frustration. 

I'm not saying they should be happy about losing, I'm saying they shouldn't punch anyone in the face when it happens. I agree that fire and hunger would have been nice, but I'd prefer to see it during the game, not the time outs.

« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2013, 09:19:53 AM »
No matter what, you can't throw punches at this level.  I have no doubt that Sir'Dom was provoked into it, but he needs to keep it together.

It's a moot point this season as I'm not expecting the team to win another game.  But let's say this team was in a position where they needed to win their next game.  By him losing his cool, he basically could've ended their season.

« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2013, 09:33:22 AM »
Again I think I would have been ok if it was a better punch. Kids these days don't put there heart into anything :)

dR3w

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2013, 09:43:15 AM »
Look I know I will be in the minority here, but in my opinion the opinions of what happened last night are being viewed with Red colored glasses.  3-5 minutes earlier in the game, Dom walked passed the one guy and pushed his face.  A foul was called and Dom was benched.  As soon as he returned to the game he went at it with the other guy.  Now in the video on this thread, you don't see the whole picture.  On TV it looked like they were both pushing each other.  The Notre Dame guy was still pushing Dom when the video on this site started, so the perspective is skewed.  It wasn't like he just walked up to Dom and pushed his face.  Hardly.  I have no idea of what preceded this fight, or what was said. And even the video on TV starts with the two guys tied up.  But don't look at that video and say Dom was pushed in the face and was only fighting back because if you watched the whole game that really isn't what was happening (in my opinion).

But I totally understand in the heat of battle things get hot.  And when you are down big, it is even worse.  Still Dom was in the wrong from my perspective.

Marillac

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2013, 10:07:59 AM »
Adding Boxing to your repertoire?
He connect fist to face and the throws in a forearm shot after they lock up.
Now were criticizing the way our kids fight?
Lets stick to their missed jumpshots.

Sorry Moose, I agree he didn't commit to the punch.Once the punch landed he didn't follow through and he sort of threw it with a floppy wrist. Billy Goodwin flooring David Wingate and Jayson Williams beating up Shamsid Dean at midcourt were the best two SJU fighters I have seen

That wrist was so floppy on the last left "attempt," he made Clay Aiken look like Chuck Norris.

I could be wrong, but it looked like Dom pushed the kid and as the kid was going back from the push he threw is hand in the direction of Dom's face. 

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2013, 10:14:12 AM »
Honestly I think what happened on Pointer's first punch was that as he was throwing it, he had second thoughts

« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2013, 10:20:23 AM »
Honestly I think what happened on Pointer's first punch was that as he was throwing it, he had second thoughts

Kind of agree. Didn't exactly follow through.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2013, 11:42:51 AM »
I don't know what you guys are talking about with this "girly punch" business. He put his entire body into it, the ND guy did a little slip, and the punch didn't connect as it should have. It still connected, and I'm positive the ND guy has a sore-ass jaw today. Also for everyone with all the boxing comments, have you seen a boxing match? That is all strategy, this here was a guy that was out for blood. It has nothing to do with boxing or anything like that.

I think Dom probably could have reacted better, but he is a sophomore at the end of a tough season who gets shoved in the face. I bet 75% of us react the same.

« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2013, 11:45:29 AM »
I don't know what you guys are talking about with this "girly punch" business. He put his entire body into it, the ND guy did a little slip, and the punch didn't connect as it should have. It still connected, and I'm positive the ND guy has a sore-ass jaw today. Also for everyone with all the boxing comments, have you seen a boxing match? That is all strategy, this here was a guy that was out for blood. It has nothing to do with boxing or anything like that.

Sorry was not a good punch. Once he connected he sort of pulled out and followed through a little with the forearm. I was very disappointed with Dom. He needs to watch old clips of Billy Goodwin and Jayson Williams

« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2013, 11:48:21 AM »
I don't remember saying it was a "good punch" all I said was that it wasn't girly. It wasn't like he was afraid or something going into it, he went into it with his whole body. He didn't pull out, the ND guy did. Please go watch it again.

« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2013, 12:01:05 PM »
Looping punch would be best description. Not good to have looping punch or baseball swing.

LJSA

« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2013, 12:46:13 PM »

The problem is that you get ejected and suspended for throwing the punch, not connecting, right?

If that's the case, I suppose the argument could be made that you may as well go all out and drop the guy.

Moose

Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »
Guys from all teams get provoked in nearly every game, but 99% of them don't throw a punch. 
I don't think what happened to Dom was any worse than goes on in a typical D1 game.   Cheap shots happen.  But you can't react the way Dom did.

To me this isn't the end of world, he doesn't get a scarlet letter and sent off to Harrisonville.   These things do happen.   He should be punished, and move on.
But, it's crazy that some people are justifying this because he was exhibiting fire or grit.   That's bs.   You can't react that way.  Plain and simple.

« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2013, 06:12:38 PM »
Say what you will about Norm's players but at least they knew how to lose like gentlemen.

Accepting humiliating losses, even if done graciously, is not what I want to see.  I'd rather see fire and hunger and frustration. 

There has been a massive overreaction to this.  Play enough games and this happens.  I played HS basketball on Long Island and these altercations happened sorta routinely.  It's almost never "right," and it certainly cannot be condoned or go unpunished.  I simply don't think this is that bad.  Dom is not a thug, he is a competitor and plays with pride.  I'd take this an Aquille Carr type off the court incident every time.

Calling it a "brawl" or comparing it to the Pittsburgh incident 10 years ago is absurd (Robbins did both).

Exactly. A brawl is the Pistons and Pacers NBA incident...both benches cleared, tons of fighting, people actually getting hurt etc. Last night was a minor scuffle and no one even landed anything. In the NFL that stuff happens after every few plays. In the NBA it is common. In CBB it still happens...it only picks up media traction when a team with a thug reputation like SJ does it. The media would never do the same to ND.

The media last night even way before the fight was so biased it actually made me laugh. All they could do was rub themselves about Cooley and how amazing ND is. The best was at the end during the fight when they said "You know, this is Cooley's moment here and it's ruined" LOL who gives a crap? What are we supposed to do give him a kiss? We are not on his team. All hail the overrated Cooley who we shut down twice (scoring wise).

If we cannot make the tourney next year, it will be absolutely pathetic. If that happens, we will begin to hear muttering about Lavin being on the hot seat, and I can't wait to get rid of this team to get fresh bodies who can shoot. Our defense is lightyears ahead of our offense it's sad we are wasting Obekpa, Sampson, Sanchez, etc. with awful shooting. By the way I would consider 20% from 3 a miracle at this point.

jr49

« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2013, 06:36:14 PM »
No matter what, you can't throw punches at this level.  I have no doubt that Sir'Dom was provoked into it, but he needs to keep it together.

It's a moot point this season as I'm not expecting the team to win another game.  But let's say this team was in a position where they needed to win their next game.  By him losing his cool, he basically could've ended their season.
It might have been brought up, but why was Dom on the court after already receiving a T? What Amir did in GT game # one was not right. I have not said a negative word about Steve all season, but I don't know if he has taught the guys to take a beating like men. Throwing balls and punches after stinking up the court sure not man like. Not being able to put the ball in the hoop leads to bad stuff. I don't know if coach can come up with anything by next year, but I'm hoping.

jr49

« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2013, 06:43:39 PM »

The problem is that you get ejected and suspended for throwing the punch, not connecting, right?

If that's the case, I suppose the argument could be made that you may as well go all out and drop the guy.
Ya can't do that, and coach got to let you know that stuff don't go. Break a kids jaw and they find a way to sit ya for a year, and then there are the lawsuits.

« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »
No further action taken by Big East.

That means Dom misses Marquette game and then is eligible to come back.

« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2013, 07:46:13 PM »
No further action taken by Big East.

That means Dom misses Marquette game and then is eligible to come back.

I'm surprised. Thought he would miss more.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.