JaKarr ROY

• 233 replies

Marillac

Re: JaKarr ROY
« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2013, 04:47:57 PM »
Otto Porter hit just 12 three pointers at 23% his freshman year.  This year he hit over 40 three's and shot over 40%.  I hope we see a similar improvement from Karr.

I posted that I thought Moe would make a similar jump % wise like Derrick Williams did as a soph. I think shot selection plays a huge role in those jumps.  The big forwards get a chance to pick their spots better than guards. 

desco80

« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2013, 05:09:04 PM »
Moe's gotta get that free throw% up too.     57%, even as rookie, won't cut it. 
But he's got the work ethic and all the physical tools, I have no doubt Moe will improve a lot in the next couple of seasons.   

Jakarr too, hopefully. 

crgreen

« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2013, 01:49:32 AM »
Otto Porter hit just 12 three pointers at 23% his freshman year.  This year he hit over 40 three's and shot over 40%.  I hope we see a similar improvement from Karr.

I posted that I thought Moe would make a similar jump % wise like Derrick Williams did as a soph. I think shot selection plays a huge role in those jumps.  The big forwards get a chance to pick their spots better than guards.

I admire a postitive attitude, but no, I NEVER saw Moe jumping to 57% 3s as a soph (as Derek did - 42 of 74).  :)

paultzman

« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2013, 09:48:17 AM »
FWIW

“@AdamZagoria: Russ Smith, Doug McDermott, JaKarr Sampson and C.J. Fair all projected 2nd round in 2014 NBA Draft after coming back http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/

Poison

« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2013, 09:56:11 AM »
FWIW

“@AdamZagoria: Russ Smith, Doug McDermott, JaKarr Sampson and C.J. Fair all projected 2nd round in 2014 NBA Draft after coming back http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2014/

Sampson can become a higher draft pick, but it probably requires him working on his game for more than one year. I've been saying that for a year. No better place to do than a staff loaded w great experience.

He can get there, but it might take 3/4 years. If it does, and Sampson improves to the point where he's a lottery pick, perhaps others will follow suit, and actually stay in school a little longer. The NBDL is filled with exceptional college players. I don't want Sampson to become one of them.

derk

« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2013, 10:26:12 AM »
So Winston Shepard, I remember we were recruiting him at one time, finishes 1 behind Karr, and Ray McCallum who has been touted as a pro for 2 years, finishes 10 spots behind him.

The most important thing for Karr to work on is that funky "front loaded " shot  he has, especially since his 3 is non existant at this point.

boo3

« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2013, 10:30:29 AM »
Sampson's draft status a year from now is one of the last things I'm concerned with. If he's ready, he'll go.  The staff is well aware of what it takes to become a first round pick.  He will have some very experienced people advising him.  There were plenty of folks saying the same thing about Harkless.  He , 100%, made the right decision.

I want to enjoy next year without worrying about what will happen when it's over. 

« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2013, 10:41:18 AM »
I would be weary about insisting JaKarr change his jump shot. It was the one thing he constantly did well last year. Yea it looks ugly, but it also goes in the hoop a lot. P
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2013, 10:59:27 AM »
I would be weary about insisting JaKarr change his jump shot. It was the one thing he constantly did well last year. Yea it looks ugly, but it also goes in the hoop a lot. P

Great point... The NBA is littered with players that have ugly looking jumpers.

« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2013, 11:09:42 AM »

Have you seen Kidd-Gilchrist's jumper? Ugly.

boo3

« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Shawn Marion has played small forward in the NBA for 15 years, it seems, with the ugliest jumper I have seen in my life.

« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2013, 11:17:02 AM »
Shawn Marion has played small forward in the NBA for 15 years, it seems, with the ugliest jumper I have seen in my life.

I didn't see Marion in college, but that's one player who I could see JaKarr modeling his pro game after. Gerald Wallace too.

boo3

« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2013, 11:25:49 AM »

I didn't see Marion in college, but that's one player who I could see JaKarr modeling his pro game after. Gerald Wallace too.

He only played one year. I think he may have been a prop 48. Was able to play more of the 4 at college because of his athleticism. Was just about a 20 and 10 guy in his one season.. ( 18 and 9 maybe? ).

boo3

« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2013, 11:30:07 AM »
 Wrong... he was a JC transfer.

bk8664

« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2013, 11:47:28 AM »

Yes, this is all true - there are exceptions.  But generally small fowards at the NBA level have sweet/standard jump shots.  I know it's possible for him to make it there, but for Sampson's sake - for him to have a great career and last 14 years in the league - I wish the NBA gods would wave a magic wand and make his shot/hitch/release more fluid.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:22:22 PM by bk8664 »

derk

« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2013, 02:12:38 PM »

I'm not insisting anything, especially since he has proved that he can be a successful college player. I do think he will have to make an adjustment in the pros however. To whatever extent he can be less front loaded is the level of success he will achieve.

« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »

I'm not insisting anything, especially since he has proved that he can be a successful college player. I do think he will have to make an adjustment in the pros however. To whatever extent he can be less front loaded is the level of success he will achieve.

Wasn't trying to put words in your mouth Derk. It's just been something that has been brought up many times on this board. Would I love for his shot to be more fluid and nicer looking? Sure. I'd rather it just go in constantly though.

derk

« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2013, 02:46:03 PM »

Wasn't trying to put words in your mouth Derk. It's just been something that has been brought up many times on this board. Would I love for his shot to be more fluid and nicer looking? Sure. I'd rather it just go in constantly though.

Agreed. The important thing ( for us in particular )is that it continues to go in. But I was commenting on his pro aspirations in particular, and I think he'll have a tougher time because of it.

SJUFAN

« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2013, 04:24:52 PM »

There is a difference between having an ugly looking jump shot, and being a good jump shooter. I disagree that Jakarr's jumpshot goes in alot. He does make some jump shots, but not to the degree where you would considered him a good jump shooter. He made zero 3's. Granted he didn't take many, but I think thats because he even knows he's not a good shooter. It would be hard for scouts to not believe the reason behind his inconsistant shot is because of his form.

« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »

There is a difference between having an ugly looking jump shot, and being a good jump shooter.

Obviously lol. I disagree about him being a bad shooter. For a freshmen he hit a good amount of the jump shots he took. You don't need to be a 3 point shooter to be a good shooter.