JaKarr ROY

• 233 replies

Marillac

Re: JaKarr ROY
« Reply #180 on: April 26, 2013, 05:31:53 PM »
I would be weary about insisting JaKarr change his jump shot. It was the one thing he constantly did well last year. Yea it looks ugly, but it also goes in the hoop a lot. P

Great point... The NBA is littered with players that have ugly looking jumpers.

There is a difference between having an ugly looking jump shot, and being a good jump shooter.

Obviously lol. I disagree about him being a bad shooter. For a freshmen he hit a good amount of the jump shots he took. You don't need to be a 3 point shooter to be a good shooter.

I thought he was going to miss every shot he took. As ugly as it is, it works for him.

MCNPA

« Reply #181 on: April 26, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »
I would be weary about insisting JaKarr change his jump shot. It was the one thing he constantly did well last year. Yea it looks ugly, but it also goes in the hoop a lot. P

There is a difference between having an ugly looking jump shot, and being a good jump shooter. I disagree that Jakarr's jumpshot goes in alot. He does make some jump shots, but not to the degree where you would considered him a good jump shooter. He made zero 3's. Granted he didn't take many, but I think thats because he even knows he's not a good shooter. It would be hard for scouts to not believe the reason behind his inconsistant shot is because of his form.

He shot 45% from the field, mostly on long 2's.  That is a pretty good jump shooter, especially for a freshman considering those shots are some of the hardest for players to make at any level.  He gets a little bit stronger, works like Hooper does and can probably become a pretty good shooter all around.  Ugly doesn't mean much.  Bob Cousy's shot was ugly too.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:39:14 PM by MCNPA »

SJUFAN

« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2013, 02:41:36 AM »

There is a difference between having an ugly looking jump shot, and being a good jump shooter. I disagree that Jakarr's jumpshot goes in alot. He does make some jump shots, but not to the degree where you would considered him a good jump shooter. He made zero 3's. Granted he didn't take many, but I think thats because he even knows he's not a good shooter. It would be hard for scouts to not believe the reason behind his inconsistant shot is because of his form.

He shot 45% from the field, mostly on long 2's.

What do you consider long 2's? According to JK shot chart the majority of his shots made are under 15'. Outside of that his % drops considerably. Unless a player is a superior rebounder and defender, an NBA team isn't going to draft a SF who cant dribble and shoot past 15'. He's coming back for a reason. As it stands today, he is not an NBA player.

paultzman

« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2013, 07:09:42 AM »

“@KarrSampson14: @sheedjordan I hope you use to get up around this time bc this is what time practice start lol #STJBB”
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:10:39 AM by paultzman »

desco80

« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »

What do you consider long 2's? According to JK shot chart the majority of his shots made are under 15'. Outside of that his % drops considerably. Unless a player is a superior rebounder and defender, an NBA team isn't going to draft a SF who cant dribble and shoot past 15'. He's coming back for a reason. As it stands today, he is not an NBA player.

Where can you find his shot chart? 

Marillac

« Reply #185 on: April 30, 2013, 09:39:57 AM »

Very true.  The NBA draft is a balancing test between potential and readiness.  Sadly, the ceiling lowers on these kids after every year that passes.  Sampson is already two years removed from high school and he hasn't  hit a single three or shown that he can create from the perimter, handle the ball well in the open court, or defend the SF position.  He'll have to prove a lot this coming season in order to have a chance at the first round even with his world class athleticism. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #186 on: April 30, 2013, 12:18:48 PM »

Where can you find his shot chart?

CBS sports does a good job charting players shots for most games.

« Reply #187 on: April 30, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »
Jakarr shot alot of long 2's.  Anyone who watched most of the games saw that, and he made a good amount of them.  He has bad form but I think hes a good shooter. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #188 on: April 30, 2013, 07:13:39 PM »
Jakarr shot alot of long 2's.  Anyone who watched most of the games saw that, and he made a good amount of them.  He has bad form but I think hes a good shooter.

How are you defining "long 2's"? I define it as anything further than the free through line, and when I watched JK play I seen the majority of his field goal attempts are within 15'. That doesn't mean he didn't make an occassional 16-17 footer but he hardly takes shots outside of 15' away. He plays within himself and knows his limitations.   

« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2013, 08:37:55 PM »

How are you defining "long 2's"? I define it as anything further than the free through line, and when I watched JK play I seen the majority of his field goal attempts are within 15'. That doesn't mean he didn't make an occassional 16-17 footer but he hardly takes shots outside of 15' away. He plays within himself and knows his limitations.   

I really can't remember him shooting many jumpers inside of the free throw line. Matter of fact hardly anyone ever takes jump shots inside the free throw line. At that point they either take it to the rim or put up a floater.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »

I really can't remember him shooting many jumpers inside of the free throw line. Matter of fact hardly anyone ever takes jump shots inside the free throw line. At that point they either take it to the rim or put up a floater.

Most of Jakarr's jumpers were taken between the free throw line and 3pt line.  I'd really like to see the shot chart you're referencing.  Fact remains that if Jakarr wasn't dunking, his best shots were just inside the 3-pt line and that is a tough shot  to make.  He might need a little more strength but I think he will develop his 3-pt shot.  He's working with his buddy Max and I think he knows he needs to add to his range.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:35:14 PM by MCNPA »

desco80

« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »
Jakarr actually shot a better % than Moe.  And, if anything, Moe took it to the rim more and Jakarr shot more jumpers. 

I don't know if Sampson will be a pro.  The skills you mention he would probably have to improve on, that's true.
But he's going to be a very good college player next season.  Very good. 
Just watching him alone will make next season exciting.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:44:48 PM by desco80 »

MCNPA

« Reply #192 on: April 30, 2013, 09:45:11 PM »
Jakarr actually shot a better % than Moe.  And, if anything, Moe took it to the rim more and Jakarr shot more jumpers. 

I don't know if Sampson will be a pro.  The skills you mention he would probably have to improve on, that's true.
But he's going to be a very good college player next season.  Very good.

Especially with a top notch Pg, a real threat at PF next to him in Sanchez as well as Gift back next to Obekpa in the paint.  He will have a bit more help up front which should certainly make thing better for him.

SJUFAN

« Reply #193 on: May 01, 2013, 01:40:59 AM »

Exactly my point why JK isn't a good jump shooter. Inside 15' doesn't mean inside the key, its inside 15'. But I found this for you....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/live/NCAAB_20130202_STJOHN@GTOWN

« Reply #194 on: May 01, 2013, 01:59:56 AM »

Exactly my point why JK isn't a good jump shooter. Inside 15' doesn't mean inside the key, its inside 15'. But I found this for you....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/live/NCAAB_20130202_STJOHN@GTOWN

Im not sure what this is showing me or how I made your point. And yes I know what inside 15 feet means. Jakarr took more jumpshpts from 15 feet and out than he did inside. I wouldnt put much stock in a college shot chart honestly.

SJUFAN

« Reply #195 on: May 01, 2013, 02:02:53 AM »

Most of Jakarr's jumpers were taken between the free throw line and 3pt line.  I'd really like to see the shot chart you're referencing.  Fact remains that if Jakarr wasn't dunking, his best shots were just inside the 3-pt line and that is a tough shot  to make.  He might need a little more strength but I think he will develop his 3-pt shot.  He's working with his buddy Max and I think he knows he needs to add to his range.

He rarely ventures outside of 15'. If he shot like you guys believe he does he would have declared for the draft. Now the reality......

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/live/NCAAB_20130105_STJOHN@CINCY

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/live/NCAAB_20130210_STJOHN@CUSE

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/live/NCAAB_20130214_STJOHN@LVILLE

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/live/NCAAB_20130224_PITT@STJOHN

I believe that Jakarr is a good player and hope he improves, but the shot charts dont lie. They all show the same thing, he doesn't shoot well from the outside and rarely takes shots outside of 15'. My position isn't made out of thin air. I would really like to see how you came to your position.

SJUFAN

« Reply #196 on: May 01, 2013, 02:08:53 AM »

Im not sure what this is showing me or how I made your point. And yes I know what inside 15 feet means. Jakarr took more jumpshpts from 15 feet and out than he did inside. I wouldnt put much stock in a college shot chart honestly.

Go on the shot chart, select players, select JK. It will show you his individual shot chart for the game. If you don't want to believe what it shows you then this discussion is a moot point.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:14:02 AM by STJFAN »

« Reply #197 on: May 01, 2013, 02:23:28 AM »

Go on the shot chart, select players, select JK. It will show you his individual shot chart for the game. If you don't want to believe what it shows you then this discussion is a moot point.

STJFAN, thanks for posting the website I didnt know you could go to individual players. Can you see every games shotchart? And not going by the shot chart is not a moot point. CBS and other sites that post college stats are often incorrect. I watched nearly every minute Jakarr played for us this year. He regularly caught the ball 15 feet or further away from the basket and attempted a jump shot. I dont know what that has to do with him being in the NBA or not.

SJUFAN

« Reply #198 on: May 01, 2013, 02:41:43 AM »

STJFAN, thanks for posting the website I didnt know you could go to individual players. Can you see every games shotchart? And not going by the shot chart is not a moot point. CBS and other sites that post college stats are often incorrect. I watched nearly every minute Jakarr played for us this year. He regularly caught the ball 15 feet or further away from the basket and attempted a jump shot. I dont know what that has to do with him being in the NBA or not.

They don't have shot charts for all the games that are archived. I'm sure there are some inaccuracies but it does give you an idea of JK outside shooting prowess. This is why he isn't leaving for the NBA this year and why its not out of the relm of possibility he may be here longer. 

« Reply #199 on: May 01, 2013, 10:35:54 AM »

They don't have shot charts for all the games that are archived. I'm sure there are some inaccuracies but it does give you an idea of JK outside shooting prowess. This is why he isn't leaving for the NBA this year and why its not out of the relm of possibility he may be here longer. 

If there's not shot charts for all the games than its hard to debate with myself and others memories of the games itself. You might be right, but I remember countless times during games where I harped at JaKarr to take his time instead of catching the ball 15-17 feet away from the basket and looking to shoot it right away.