JaKarr ROY

• 233 replies

ras

Re: JaKarr ROY
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2013, 01:50:35 PM »
Why not give Felix more PT for exp. I agree it doesnt make sense to play the walkon before Felix was injured. Felix is a lot better than the walk on.

SJUFAN

« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »
Why not give Felix more PT for exp. I agree it doesnt make sense to play the walkon before Felix was injured. Felix is a lot better than the walk on.

Branch's injury has more to do with Lipcomb playing than Felix's injury. Lipscomb is a PG, Felix is not. So it does make plenty of sense the Lipscomb plays ahead of Felix as he is not a better PG than Lipscomb, and a PG is what this team needs.

Foad

« Reply #122 on: April 08, 2013, 11:57:03 AM »
Branch's injury has more to do with Lipcomb playing than Felix's injury. Lipscomb is a PG, Felix is not. So it does make plenty of sense the Lipscomb plays ahead of Felix as he is not a better PG than Lipscomb, and a PG is what this team needs.

Did you see Lipscomb running the offense? Playing point guard? I didn't. I saw him standing in the corner.

paultzman

« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »

Did you see Lipscomb running the offense? Playing point guard? I didn't. I saw him standing in the corner.

SG in HS. Agree w Foad
http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/r7xugGPA3k-JHnOaUThjpg/basketball-winter-11-12/profile-david-lipscomb.htm

« Reply #124 on: April 08, 2013, 02:06:12 PM »
Why is that inexplicable?

Because on a team that is fully funded scholarship wise, walkons should only play when you are up or down by a lot late in the second half; or when 1/2 your team is suspended for indescretions with prostitutes in Pittsburgh.

Their playing time had no impact on us winning or losing the game.

Wouldn't say that. 7-0 and 5-0 runs for the opponent in tight ballgames were the initial results of walkongate.

It was a classy move by coach,

I would call it more of a stupid or inexplicable move.

imo, to get them at least 1 minute of action in what maybe their final game in an STJ uniform. We don't know if they will be on the team next year. These kids work their tails off all year, just as hard as the scholarship players. Why is that so terrible?

It was postseason play.  Everybody involved at least deserves our best shot at winning the games.  And that doesn't involve playing walkons. The good of the team and going for the win has got to take on more importance than a "nice gesture" towards walkons.

I find it hard to believe that 1 minute of playing time equated to a combined 12-0 run for the opposing team. It appears you believe that playing the walkons 1 minute cost us the game, I don't believe that. They played better than Marco so I could care less about their label. In that context, I don't have an issue with it. We can agree to disagree.

I don't know how long they were initially on for.  Seemed like more than 1 minute and a 12-0 or even a 14-0 run for the bad guys was the net result. 

I don't like playing walkons in the most important, post-season, games of the year that hadn't even had 1 second of meaningful non-garbage time play in the 30+ games prior to that.  You do.  Why re-invent the wheel then?

We can agree to disagree.

Thought it was interesting to see a Louisville team dead in the water down by double digits and Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino decides to put in Tim Henderson......A player who averages 3.5 minutes a game this year. He hits back to back three's and injects life into the team. Oh yeah, he's a walk-on. In the most important game of the year, Pitino thought a walk-on gave them a better chance at winning.

I guess it's when Hall of Fame coaches put in walkons, it works.  When our coach puts in walkons, it fails.

« Reply #125 on: April 08, 2013, 07:31:26 PM »
Not all walkons are equal. Phil Messere was one who could play and help, Jamal Thomas not so much.

« Reply #126 on: April 08, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »
Not all walkons are equal. Phil Messere was one who could play and help, Jamal Thomas not so much.

Don't forget Andre Stanley -  dude stepped up big time when we needed him.

« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2013, 07:55:31 PM »

Don't forget Andre Stanley -  dude stepped up big time when we needed him.
Stanley was a juco transfer and probably could have been a scolly player, sort of a perferred walk on in football parlance. But good example.

Moose

« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2013, 08:12:22 PM »

Jamal White
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2013, 08:16:41 PM »

Jamal White
Jamal Thomas was a much better player LOL. Allowances for age Moose. :)

Marillac

« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2013, 09:50:18 PM »

Jamal White

Jamel Thomas? 

Moose

« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »

Jamal White

Jamel Thomas? 

He was referring to walkons for us.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2013, 01:20:28 PM »
I recall being at the garden for the Johnny Flynn Cuse massacre.  They put in their walkons late and they were better than our starters.  :(

« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2013, 04:58:53 PM »
looks like Karr is working on his 3-point shot this offseason:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHbuvzrCAAAmSRM.jpg:large

« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2013, 03:11:58 PM »
looks like Karr is working on his 3-point shot this offseason:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHbuvzrCAAAmSRM.jpg:large
Not important, it's what Lipscomb is doing this off season that will have huge ramifications for next season.  :)

paultzman

« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2013, 10:38:57 AM »
“@NJHoopsHaven: Stony Brooks's Steve Pikiell won All-Met Coach of the Year and St. John's JaKarr Sampson won Rookie of the Year.”

“@NJHoopsHaven: Here are your All-Met awards. Plainfield native & Roselle C grad Jameel Warney made 3rd team with NJIT's Chris Flores http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/hoopshaven/2013/04/15/jones-wins-haggerty-edwin-among-all-met-honorees/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:47:12 AM by paultzman »

Poison

« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2013, 11:12:46 AM »
I recall being at the garden for the Johnny Flynn Cuse massacre.  They put in their walkons late and they were better than our starters.  :(

That was an awful experience. Flynn was toying with us.

boo3

« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2013, 11:14:09 AM »

Flynn still in the NBA?

Poison

« Reply #138 on: April 15, 2013, 11:24:41 AM »

Flynn still in the NBA?

I haven't heard his name mentioned in years.

paultzman

« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2013, 12:48:40 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: #STJBB All-Met Rookies of the Year Alliyah Handford and @karrsampson14 discuss their honors. http://Instagram.com/p/YIeg_EH9Ro/