Talked to D'angelo at the game yesterday

• 241 replies

DFF6

Re: Talked to D'angelo at the game yesterday
« Reply #200 on: April 11, 2013, 04:46:05 PM »
phil is not a PG. which is pretty much all we've seen him do in his 2 years. when harrison was out, phil showed flashes. i also think he's a smart player who plays within himself and doesn't force it (unlike harrison).  if Phil plays his natural position all year, i think he'll be very good.

With all respect, Phil's shooting range is not on par with Harrison's.  If we could put a shock collar on Phil so everytime he attempts to shoot beyond the 3 pt arc, it would zap him as a deterrent, I would be ok with that.  However, we want Harrison to take that big 3 attempt in the clutch, because he makes them.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:49:07 PM by DFF6 »

paultzman

« Reply #201 on: April 11, 2013, 04:48:02 PM »
Phil needs to work on his balance when shooting jumpers. His floater is nice, but his JS merits a lot of attention.

RedVet

« Reply #202 on: April 11, 2013, 08:21:10 PM »
Thinking -- or at least hoping -- that the addition of Jordan means we won't be seeing any more 15-20 shot games from Phil.

« Reply #203 on: April 11, 2013, 08:22:51 PM »
Thinking -- or at least hoping -- that the addition of Jordan means we won't be seeing any more 15-20 shot games from Phil.

Hopefully we see 15-20 minutes a game instead of 15-20 shots.

« Reply #204 on: April 11, 2013, 08:39:11 PM »

Worst case scenarios is that we see both.

TONYD3

« Reply #205 on: April 11, 2013, 08:39:27 PM »
Harrison was the best 2 guard in the big east. If he comes back he should not only start but play close to 40 minutes a game. Did u guys watch when he wasn't on the court ?

Marillac

« Reply #206 on: April 11, 2013, 08:52:05 PM »
Harrison was the best 2 guard in the big east. If he comes back he should not only start but play close to 40 minutes a game. Did u guys watch when he wasn't on the court ?

This teams goes as far as Harrison takes them.  40 minutes is asking too much, though.  There is no need for anyone to play more than 28-30 minutes with the depth this team will have.

RedVet

« Reply #207 on: April 11, 2013, 09:30:12 PM »

Priceless.

Tiznow

« Reply #208 on: April 11, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »

Priceless.

Can't even give it a rest today?  Once Jordan has a couple of bad games he will get the same treatment from a few here. 
Greene will get his minutes next season.  The guy is a relentless worker and will earn plenty of court time in his third season playing for this staff.  The team will be better for it.

RedVet

« Reply #209 on: April 11, 2013, 11:04:55 PM »

Priceless.

Can't even give it a rest today?  Once Jordan has a couple of bad games he will get the same treatment from a few here. 
Greene will get his minutes next season.  The guy is a relentless worker and will earn plenty of court time in his third season playing for this staff.  The team will be better for it.

Lighten up! As I see it, there's a lot of harmless humor in our remarks about Phil, especially in light of Jordan's commitment. Yes, Phil's a relentless worker. No one challenges that and we all respect that about him. What we do question is his awful shot selection and his throwing up shot after shot from beyond the 3-point line, where he's shoots about 20%. What we're saying is now that Jordan's here, maybe Phil won't be chucking away from deep like he did this past year. Why? Not because we don't like Phil -- we do and we think he can be a key contributor to this team off the bench -- but because we want to win and the fewer 3-point shots Phil takes, the better our chances of winning are.

« Reply #210 on: April 11, 2013, 11:20:28 PM »
Anyone know if d'lo has been working out with the guys?

« Reply #211 on: April 11, 2013, 11:38:41 PM »

Priceless.

I'm not a Greene basher.  I just couldn't lay off that softball.

« Reply #212 on: April 12, 2013, 11:18:20 AM »
does anyone know if DLo is partaking in the offseason workouts?  I sell all the other guys are working out...

« Reply #213 on: April 12, 2013, 12:32:21 PM »
I think he will wait for the summer to work out with the Baylor guys ;)

Marillac

« Reply #214 on: April 12, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »
I think he will wait for the summer to work out with the Baylor guys ;)

Way off on this one.

« Reply #215 on: April 12, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »
Unless you are Kentucky, Carolina, etc, generally to get kids like this you guarantee a starting spot. Plus this is not 1980, kids now expect to go to the pros after one season. No one is waiting around to get PT in college.

As a former coach, I'm wondering how you can guarantee a kid a starting spot?  If the rest of your team gets wind of it, and saying something to one player is like telling the entire team - they talk about everything, you'ld never hear the end of it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 01:36:18 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #216 on: April 12, 2013, 01:40:40 PM »
Unless you are Kentucky, Carolina, etc, generally to get kids like this you guarantee a starting spot. Plus this is not 1980, kids now expect to go to the pros after one season. No one is waiting around to get PT in college.

As a former coach, I'm wondering how you can guarantee a kid a starting spot?  If the rest of your team gets wind of it, and saying something to one player is like telling the entire team - they talk about everything, you'ld never hear the end of it.

I don't like the premise of it, but are you naive enough to think it doesn't happen?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Tha Kid

« Reply #217 on: April 12, 2013, 01:42:21 PM »

I don't like the premise of it, but are you naive enough to think it doesn't happen?

Exactly.  Carmine, why do you think Polee always started even though he wasn't playing starting five minutes?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #218 on: April 12, 2013, 01:45:16 PM »

Exactly.  Carmine, why do you think Polee always started even though he wasn't playing starting five minutes?

Wasn't there a story about Lou doing it with one of his recruits and failing to follow through on the promise? I was to young at the time but heard about it because i think the recruit was from Albany around where I'm from.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LJSA

« Reply #219 on: April 12, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »
I thought crgreen told us that Lavin doesn't guarantee starting spots, but I could be wrong.