2013-2014 Schedule

• 909 replies

Moose

Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #760 on: October 02, 2013, 01:24:23 PM »
Everyone has Creighton in their top 3.... except Rothstein.   He's got the Jays way down at #7. 
I think he's closer to the truth than the rest of them.    I'd be surprised if they don't struggle a little.

And fwiw, I would have Georgetown #1.    But maybe that's why I dont get paid to predict college basketball.

I agree with Rothstein. I need to see Creighton do it in this league before I'm a buyer. There is NBA talent in the new BE. Far more than in the MVC. Kyle Korver was a killer in that league, but now that's he's going up against NBA talent night in, night out, he's a role player.

It's not a perfect theory, but because of the harder comp, I think Creighton will be exposed.

My pre-season order is: (barring injury or ineligible players)

GTown, Marq, STJ, Prov, Nova, Butler, Creighton, Xavier, Seton Hall & DePaul.

Creighton below Butler????

Yes

Can you elaborate a bit?  You do know how much Butler lost both on the court and on the sidelines and what Creighton returns?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #761 on: October 02, 2013, 01:50:26 PM »
Everyone has Creighton in their top 3.... except Rothstein.   He's got the Jays way down at #7. 
I think he's closer to the truth than the rest of them.    I'd be surprised if they don't struggle a little.

And fwiw, I would have Georgetown #1.    But maybe that's why I dont get paid to predict college basketball.

I agree with Rothstein. I need to see Creighton do it in this league before I'm a buyer. There is NBA talent in the new BE. Far more than in the MVC. Kyle Korver was a killer in that league, but now that's he's going up against NBA talent night in, night out, he's a role player.

It's not a perfect theory, but because of the harder comp, I think Creighton will be exposed.

Yes

Can you elaborate a bit?  You do know how much Butler lost both on the court and on the sidelines and what Creighton returns?

I don't think Creighton has been tested enough consistently. Butler gets the benefit of the doubt until they no longer deserve it. Not saying that I don't think Creighton can be good team, but rather that I need to see them do it in the BE, night in, night out. Greg Equinique was a star at Creighton. In the BE, he stunk. Big fish, little. pond.

Poison

« Reply #762 on: October 02, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
JJ Redick is also a role player and was national college player of the year and played in the acc.  Jeff green dominated in the big east but is only a role player.  Explain that? There are plenty of examples. Korver was an exceptional college player and would hve been all big east first team at an absolute minimum.  As per usual if you don't play in a major state, poison discredits you.

I'm not the only one who is skeptical about Creighton. It isn't about playing in a major state, it's about playing major competition night in, and night out. Kyle Korver didn't. JJ Reddick did, and JJ Reddick had NBA first round draft picks on his team to deflect attention.

Who does McDermott have around him that really scares us?

In regards to my New York-itis, I have consistently made it clear how much respect I have for the Butler program.  They are in Indiana. Pretty f'n far from NY.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:34:39 PM by Poison »

Moose

« Reply #763 on: October 02, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »

Yes

I don't think Creighton has been tested enough consistently. Butler gets the benefit of the doubt until they no longer deserve it. Not saying that I don't think Creighton can be good team, but rather that I need to see them do it in the BE, night in, night out. Greg Equinique was a star at Creighton. In the BE, he stunk. Big fish, little. pond.

Fair point on the benefit of the doubt.
Thanks
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #764 on: October 02, 2013, 03:34:20 PM »
Is DePaul ever going to get at least mediocre?  Man, I feel bad for them.

Happy Rappy Sad for Depaul.  Out

Poison

« Reply #765 on: October 02, 2013, 06:31:56 PM »

Oliver Purnell should never to be allowed to coach again. DePaul has made almost no improvement. He can't make adjustments during games. He can't get his team to defend. He can't recruit.

I don't believe he's coached one season where DePaul hasn't finished dead last in the Big East.

« Reply #766 on: October 02, 2013, 06:35:43 PM »

Oliver Purnell should never to be allowed to coach again. DePaul has made almost no improvement. He can't make adjustments during games. He can't get his team to defend. He can't recruit.

I don't believe he's coached one season where DePaul hasn't finished dead last in the Big East.

I think that's a bit drastic, he won some at Clemson. He's brought some talent to DePaul, the whole shane Larkin thing was a big hit to him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #767 on: October 02, 2013, 06:45:03 PM »

I think that's a bit drastic, he won some at Clemson. He's brought some talent to DePaul, the whole shane Larkin thing was a big hit to him.

His problem is DePaul gives up a ton of easy points every year.

« Reply #768 on: October 02, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »

His problem is DePaul gives up a ton of easy points every year.

That is 100% true. Often the case when you play the whole 94 feet.

Poison

« Reply #769 on: October 02, 2013, 07:35:41 PM »

What BE coach has been worse than him? Seriously, he makes Norm Roberts looks good.

« Reply #770 on: October 02, 2013, 07:40:55 PM »

What BE coach has been worse than him? Seriously, he makes Norm Roberts looks good.

And DePaul was this bad before him.  To say he should never be allowed up coach again, although I'm sure in jest, is drastic.

« Reply #771 on: October 02, 2013, 07:53:06 PM »

And DePaul was this bad before him.  To say he should never be allowed up coach again, although I'm sure in jest, is drastic.
Depaul is still bad but they are definitely in better shape this year than any other year in the Purnell era.  Melvin, Young, McKinney and Garrett is not a horrible core.  I could see them upsetting a few teams this year but still finishing in the basement.

A dynamic young coach with strong midwest ties is probably the right profile to bring them back to relevancy.  Depaul needs to invest in the program, and with the fox $ they will have the ability to do so in the future.

Poison

« Reply #772 on: October 02, 2013, 08:22:26 PM »

Yes, it's drastic, and I'm mostly kidding, but he has seriously been the worst coach in BE history. Who hires that after he gets fired?
DePaul was bad before him, but DePaul, like STJ, has had a terrific basketball tradition. I'm sure they have retired Quenton Richardson's number 400 times, like we do with Mullin. If I was a DePaul, I'd want Purnell out. How is their logic that keeps him in place? What dirt does he have on the school president? It must be great.

« Reply #773 on: October 02, 2013, 09:04:59 PM »
Now now not so quick Conn, Seton Hall, Pitt have had a few even Villanova has had one.

Poison

« Reply #774 on: October 02, 2013, 11:36:26 PM »
Now now not so quick Conn, Seton Hall, Pitt have had a few even Villanova has had one.

A few what?

TONYD3

« Reply #775 on: October 03, 2013, 07:58:29 AM »
i like that they suck. 2 automatic conference wins is great. I think he coaches great. I use a similar strategy. it just works alot better in middle school.

« Reply #776 on: October 03, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »
i like that they suck. 2 automatic conference wins is great. I think he coaches great. I use a similar strategy. it just works alot better in middle school.
That's why a former St. john's coach used to receive accolades from his fellow BE coaches!  ;)

« Reply #777 on: October 03, 2013, 05:05:21 PM »
Does Pitino have another kid?  They should hire him/her.  Maybe Coach Cal has a child to hire.  They will get the players!

Happy Rappy Out!

paultzman

« Reply #778 on: October 04, 2013, 09:29:10 PM »
Another more positive opinion fwiw;

“@DalyDoseOfHoops: Our final #32In32 preview, closing the series with our take on the @BigEastMBB season: http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/2013/10/32-in-32-big-east.html

paultzman

« Reply #779 on: October 07, 2013, 09:14:15 AM »
Decent analysis of a tough opponent;

“@CBTonNBC: 2013-2014 Season Preview: No. 20 Wisconsin Badgers http://wp.me/p1aWjM-1Z0Q