Next Season

• 280 replies

desco80

Re: Next Season
« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »
Just to remind folks, Marquette has just about everyone back, with possible exception of Blue. They added two top 50 kids & two time Juco AA.

Nova and GT each return a solid nucleus, even with Porter probably leaving. Providence will be solid and new teams will present challenges for sure. We obviously have the ingredients for success, provided Harrison returns IMO. That said, there is work to be done and every game will be a challenge. Let's not get intoxicated about getting Sheed. It is one large piece of the puzzle, but player skill improvement, physical maturation and playing smarter will determine the degree of our success. Hopefully the coaching staff has learned a few lessons as well. Am looking forward to a solid season.

Lose their PG

You are correct. Duane Wilson is a four star recruit they are counting on. We'll see to what extent he can fill that role.

http://midwestballers.com/?p=1418

Didn't realize it till you mentioned it Paultz, but that incoming Marquette class is pretty nice on paper.   I don't know the players, but 3 top 50ish (one #55) plus the JUCO AA.   

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #261 on: April 12, 2013, 08:42:43 PM »
Getting ready to watch 42 and hoping for wait til next year will rub off and next year will be one of those years for the johnnies.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #262 on: April 17, 2013, 10:16:21 AM »
Let the hype begin.  After Blue and Porter declared Jon Rothstein has stated that SJU has the "most talented roster" in the New Big East next year and is "Loaded."

To be honest we can quibble over some teams about who is more talented but assuming Harrison back in the fold with Jordan and Sanchez added and with everyone back, not to sound like a homer, but Jon maybe right quite frankly.  Put it this way you can make a serious argument for SJU.

Think about it.  SJU could have Rysheed Jordan, Phil Greene and Dom Pointer COMING OFF THE BENCH next year. 

Starting 5 of Branch, Harrison, Sanchez, Sampson and Obekpa let's say for argument sake.  Throw those 3 coming off the bench and that is a talented 8 man rotation.  Throw in GG, Marco, Hooper, Jones, Felix.  Damn...

paultzman

« Reply #263 on: April 17, 2013, 10:32:22 AM »
Let the hype begin.  After Blue and Porter declared Jon Rothstein has stated that SJU has the "most talented roster" in the New Big East next year and is "Loaded."

To be honest we can quibble over some teams about who is more talented but assuming Harrison back in the fold with Jordan and Sanchez added and with everyone back, not to sound like a homer, but Jon maybe right quite frankly.  Put it this way you can make a serious argument for SJU.

Think about it.  SJU could have Rysheed Jordan, Phil Greene and Dom Pointer COMING OFF THE BENCH next year. 

Starting 5 of Branch, Harrison, Sanchez, Sampson and Obekpa let's say for argument sake.  Throw those 3 coming off the bench and that is a talented 8 man rotation.  Throw in GG, Marco, Hooper, Jones, Felix.  Damn...

Can't argue with potential. Factor in Euro trip and this team should be very prepared. SL seems to have his type of team. Time to deliver within reasonable expectations, like finishing in top 3 or 4 in BE with NCAA bid. (with a little noise there as well) Such success will be quite helpful in recruiting obviously.

paultzman

« Reply #264 on: April 17, 2013, 12:05:33 PM »
Another positive article about next season;
“@howardmegdal: My latest @capitalnewyork: St. John's looks like a big fish in the new Big East http://capi.tl/10gh6ND #STJBB cc: @QSTJHoops”

jr49

« Reply #265 on: April 17, 2013, 01:03:59 PM »
I thought we wanted the whole league to be dynamite. We just wanna be the best. Our hoops teams getting more then anyone, yet I read here some want to run us down. It's gonna be great. My one concern, I want the Garden full, and rocking.

Marillac

« Reply #266 on: April 17, 2013, 01:07:48 PM »

I doubt we'll see much if any of the three bigs playing together unless it is a huge opponent.  Coach Lavin has shown consistently that he favors smaller more skilled lineups during his tenure at STJ.

Sampson doesn't have enough skill to be a perimeter threat at this point and hasn't shown that he can defend the three eighter.  That could change by next year, though.

ras

« Reply #267 on: April 17, 2013, 03:22:03 PM »
Joe Lunardi recent bracketology has us first 4 out . Also not much love for the new BE,no team seeded high.Doesnt make sense.

Moose

« Reply #268 on: April 17, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »
Joe Lunardi recent bracketology has us first 4 out . Also not much love for the new BE,no team seeded high.Doesnt make sense.

Lunardi is upset St. Joe's wasn't invited ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #269 on: April 17, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »
he's virtually always on the money...but this is a bit early, even for him.

desco80

« Reply #270 on: April 17, 2013, 11:23:07 PM »

I saw that, and thought the same thing. 
What team in the new BE would you predict a high seed for right now though?
Georgetown is probably the cream of the crop, but I'm not sure I'd give them more than a 5 seed if I was making a prediction today. 

crgreen

« Reply #271 on: April 17, 2013, 11:29:40 PM »

Don't think there's a snowball's chance in he11 that Rysheed comes off the bench.

desco80

« Reply #272 on: April 17, 2013, 11:34:34 PM »

Don't think there's a snowball's chance in he11 that Rysheed comes off the bench.

I don't necessarily disagree Cr.
But, based on talent alone?    or at least partially because he wouldn't have signed with a school that didn't promise him he'd start? 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:35:07 PM by desco80 »

MCNPA

« Reply #273 on: April 18, 2013, 12:06:54 AM »

Agree CR.  Rysheed is a special talent.  I love guys like Greene, but his production has been inefficient at times to say the least. Branch has shown some streams befor his injury.  Nice passing and at times can hit a different speed, but he hasn't been the same just yet and even before the injury doesnt have what Rysheed does.

Rysheed at a different level of speed, athleticism, motor and overall talent.  I have zero doubts that Rysheed will be our PG early into the season.  Kid is an absolute beast.   It is great that we have talent that will share minutes with Rysheed and D'Lo, but anybody who pretends that those guys aren't where our bread is at are delusional.  Rysheed Jordan and D'Angelo Harrison will be our starting backcourt.

desco80

« Reply #274 on: April 18, 2013, 12:18:43 AM »

Agree CR.  Rysheed is a special talent.  I love guys like Greene, but his production has been inefficient at times to say the least. Branch has shown some streams befor his injury.  Nice passing and at times can hit a different speed, but he hasn't been the same just yet and even before the injury doesnt have what Rysheed does.

Rysheed at a different level of speed, athleticism, motor and overall talent.  I have zero doubts that Rysheed will be our PG early into the season.  Kid is an absolute beast.   It is great that we have talent that will share minutes with Rysheed and D'Lo, but anybody who pretends that those guys aren't where our bread is at are delusional.  Rysheed Jordan and D'Angelo Harrison will be our starting backcourt.

Who do you think the other 3 starters are?   Dom, Jakarr, Orlando?   That's my guess.   But coach does love the 3 guard lineup, and has that unexplainable crush on Phil.   

« Reply #275 on: April 18, 2013, 12:47:18 AM »

Who do you think the other 3 starters are?   Dom, Jakarr, Orlando?   That's my guess.   But coach does love the 3 guard lineup, and has that unexplainable crush on Phil.   

I love Phil coming off the bench, fits him perfectly and he has the confidence in himself that it likely wont effect his play in a negative way. If we go three guards I really hope its Branch. I think theres three solid potential starting groups that could be the one on opening night. All three consist of Jakarr and Orlando, and at least two guards. Than its just a matter of going with  3 guards, big with obekpa, or more traditional with Dom.

My guess is Rysheed, Dlo, Dom, Jakarr, Sanchez. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LJSA

« Reply #276 on: April 18, 2013, 01:55:12 AM »
We have Elite Eight talent and depth, but NIT free throws and IQ.

crgreen

« Reply #277 on: April 18, 2013, 03:33:49 AM »

I doubt we'll see much if any of the three bigs playing together unless it is a huge opponent.  Coach Lavin has shown consistently that he favors smaller more skilled lineups during his tenure at STJ.

Sampson doesn't have enough skill to be a perimeter threat at this point and hasn't shown that he can defend the three eighter.  That could change by next year, though.

Just so you know, Lavin has no problem using a 3 with limited perimeter game, or one with exceptional perimeter game.   His 1999 All Frosh Frontcourt was  6'11 Dan Gadzuric, 6'11 Jerome Moiso, and 6'6 JaRon Rush.  Rush had very little perimeter game  (29% 3 pt shooter), but was a 7.5 per game rebounder from the Wing.   When he was suspended by the NCAA as a soph (Amatuer violations unrelated to UCLA), Lavin replaced him in the lineup with the best perimeter shooting wing the Bruins have ever had, Jason Kapono (47.4% 3s that year).

But I'm not sure I get this discussion that Jakarr doesn't have a good enuf perimeter game to play the 3.    We've played the last two years with Sir Dom and Amir there.  You really think Jakarr would we WORSE from the perimeter?  To me he his consistent shot from mid-range would be more than adequate if he were filling minutes at the 3 if the matchups dictated going to a "big" lineup with Sanchez and Gift.  Especially if the backcourt is the 6'4 Jordan and 6'3 Harrison (or the 6'5 Pointer).

« Reply #278 on: April 18, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »
We have Elite Eight talent and depth, but NIT free throws and IQ.

Dead on. NIT coaching as of late also

Foad

« Reply #279 on: April 18, 2013, 09:19:30 AM »

In two years of coaching he's never really had a big who could play, so perhaps its a little early to say what he'll do. Sampson / Sanchez / Obekpa is a front line of three guys who are touted as NBA players.