LONGWOOD - Game Discussion

• 179 replies
Re: LONGWOOD - Game Discussion
« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »
Lav can preach "options" and "versatility" with the lineups all he wants, but the fact is that this team has zero offensive identity at the moment with almost all of the personnel having been here last year (and 2 of the 3 "new" pieces have been practicing with them for a year). 

He can also preach "January and February" til the cows come home but these games this weekend will be important, as will the Syracuse game.  The Big East is way weak this year which means there aren't many "quality wins" on the schedule to get come conference play.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2013, 10:42:45 PM »
Have to imagine that at some point the shots go down.. Can't really be 10% shooters from the 3 point line..

If Harrison has an average shooting day, this is a 30 point win, right?  I mean, I'm just looking at numbers, I didn't see it.

This team isn't that bad at shot making but really bad at shot taking. Meaning it all comes down to shot selection.

Harrison and Greene are the worst in this process. Sanchez hasn't shown early that he is much better and Sampson has a little Sean Evan (the ball is going up) disease. It isn't a good trend when you're cold.

If Harrison and Greene could eliminate 4 bad shots that they take collectively a game that is potentially a huge swing. Try next game counting out shots early in the shot clock, deep 2's, or looks like no one is open so I'll just shoot this 3 since I have the ball. Over/Under is at 7 for the team.

There was a sequence in the 1st half that Harrison missed an open 3 and then there was a an offensive rebound and a kickout to Phil Greene and he had a WIDE open 3 and bricked it.  You want to argue they could have taken better shots, perhaps.  But one of them has got to ring the bell in that sequence.  Not a hand in their face.

boo3

« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2013, 10:44:51 PM »
 "Stop with this X beat Y by 15 and Y lost to D by 30 so that means D beats X by 15.  It does not work that way."

^  in fairness, most of us are aware of this.  It's only brought up by those looking for the negative spin constantly.

« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2013, 10:47:02 PM »
What would this board be like if we actually lost one of these games?

Lol!   A couple of guys are on the ledge following an 18 pt win. 

boo3

« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2013, 10:48:03 PM »
 Did we press at all?  I starting to wonder why we just don't go full throttle 40 minutes of hell.

We have shown no 1/2 court identity ( great point TRab), have tremendous length and athletic ability, more than a few adequate ball handlers to push to rock, and we are 10 deep...easy. 

F- It.. just go for it, coach...

boo3

« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2013, 10:49:31 PM »

Oh, it's coming... we aren't going undefeated the rest of the way..  I'm actually to the point where I look at it as entertainment.  I think I could probably write most peoples posts at this point.

« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2013, 10:59:22 PM »

Oh, it's coming... we aren't going undefeated the rest of the way..  I'm actually to the point where I look at it as entertainment.  I think I could probably write most peoples posts at this point.

It's unbelievable, the hyperbole.

Worst offense in America.

He's not a point guard.

He can't coach.

Penn St should blow "us" out.

I get it they have not put it all together yet and the slow starts are frustrating.  But there is plenty of time to do that and plenty of opportunities.

« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2013, 11:27:36 PM »
Have to imagine that at some point the shots go down.. Can't really be 10% shooters from the 3 point line..

If Harrison has an average shooting day, this is a 30 point win, right?  I mean, I'm just looking at numbers, I didn't see it.

This team isn't that bad at shot making but really bad at shot taking. Meaning it all comes down to shot selection.

Harrison and Greene are the worst in this process. Sanchez hasn't shown early that he is much better and Sampson has a little Sean Evan (the ball is going up) disease. It isn't a good trend when you're cold.

If Harrison and Greene could eliminate 4 bad shots that they take collectively a game that is potentially a huge swing. Try next game counting out shots early in the shot clock, deep 2's, or looks like no one is open so I'll just shoot this 3 since I have the ball. Over/Under is at 7 for the team.

There was a sequence in the 1st half that Harrison missed an open 3 and then there was a an offensive rebound and a kickout to Phil Greene and he had a WIDE open 3 and bricked it.  You want to argue they could have taken better shots, perhaps.  But one of them has got to ring the bell in that sequence.  Not a hand in their face.

Other than Harrison who is really more scorer than shooter, no one can make them. They are open for a reason. The offense is going to be a problem all year. Greene is our 2nd best scorer and he is like a lifetime 25% three point shooter.

Tiznow

« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2013, 12:22:47 AM »

Other than Harrison who is really more scorer than shooter, no one can make them. They are open for a reason. The offense is going to be a problem all year. Greene is our 2nd best scorer and he is like a lifetime 25% three point shooter.

Lifetime 25% three point shooter?  Does this include his stats as a ten year old?

« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2013, 12:53:58 AM »

Open shots can still be bad shots. I'm not specifically referring to the plays you are talking about but there is context.

Could they have drove to the basket uncontested instead of settling for a jumper? Was there anyone there to rebound? Do you want Sanchez shooting a wide open 3 or would a pass be better option?

I agree with you though they need to knock down the open shots.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2013, 09:00:34 AM »

Lifetime 25% three point shooter?  Does this include his stats as a ten year old?
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/57022/phil-greene-iv
unfortunately no just his first 2 years here.

derk

« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2013, 09:28:12 AM »
At least finally we all agree we sucked tonight

We weren't great, but if you can suck and win by 18 that's a good thing.

This is one of the worst teams in the nation. AND they were playing w out their only good player. Penn State should clean our clock if only because they seem to try every game they play.

Again, they lost to a team we beat by 10, but by SJU fan logic, should "clean our clock."

And they beat Monmouth by 32. And Kentucky barely survived the other night. And around and around we go. It is very early for evaluations. While these "lesser opponents" serve to boost our record we seem to play to the level of the competition, especially early on. It will be good to get back to playing a legitimate opponent. Time to put on the big boy pants and play. Bring on the Nittany Lions.

derk

« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »
Jordan had 8 points, four assists and two steals.  Give him the ball Lav.

Didn't get to see the game - how many minutes did he get? Was he a primary piece of the offense?

What ? He looked totally lost in the first half ( I know you didn't see the game ). Looked like he was trying to figure out his role in this guard oriented offense. Hit the boards better in the 2nd. half to get his 3 points. What I don't get is why the guards, who shoot terribly in the first half, don't feed the post and get the bigs more involved. Hopefully this will improve as Sheed gets more time. I can't stand that 3 guard, passing the ball around the perimeter, prevent offense that we play. That's not basketball. It needs to change if we're going anywhere this year.

derk

« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »
I agree, Branch brings very little upside. I wonder do the coaches tell the PGs not to penetrate and dish?

It almost seems that way doesn't it .

derk

« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2013, 09:51:50 AM »
Did I mention my boy Dee looks Nuri Lindsay-esque tonight?

Frustrated tonight Moose?   maybe a little?

He looks pretty out of it tonight.  Missed FT's.  Even some of his threes have been fugly.  It means nothing in the grand scheme of things though.

99 Bigger problems

Not really. He is suppossed to be our leader. He needs to be more consistent. He only plays half a game. Never shows up until the 2nd half. And he has to be responsible for getting "our best player" involved in the game. That's a leader.

Foad

« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
Again, they lost to a team we beat by 10, but by SJU fan logic, should "clean our clock."

Pa State hasn't scored less than 74 points in a game. We've scored 75 in a game once. We have four common opponents - Bucknell, Longwood, Monmouth, Wagner. That's a little worrying. Not as much as the mess that's going on on the floor obviously, but worrying all the same.

desco80

« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2013, 10:29:31 AM »
I agree, Branch brings very little upside. I wonder do the coaches tell the PGs not to penetrate and dish?

I vehemently disagree.   He makes some bad decisions with the ball - but I can live with that because the ball moves better with him in the lineup than at any other point in the game.     Branch and Jordan also probe the zone, no one else even attempts to do it.   
Two of the many things I'd like to see this weekend are  Branch getting more PT, and Dom being told to be more aggressive when he gets the ball. 

Tiznow

« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2013, 10:56:40 AM »

Pa State hasn't scored less than 74 points in a game. We've scored 75 in a game once. We have four common opponents - Bucknell, Longwood, Monmouth, Wagner. That's a little worrying. Not as much as the mess that's going on on the floor obviously, but worrying all the same.

With the game scheduled the day after Thanksgiving SJU has an edge over PSU.  SJU is more prepared for sloppily played games.  It's been that way for years.

« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2013, 11:09:39 AM »

I vehemently disagree.   He makes some bad decisions with the ball - but I can live with that because the ball moves better with him in the lineup than at any other point in the game.     Branch and Jordan also probe the zone, no one else even attempts to do it.   
Two of the many things I'd like to see this weekend are  Branch getting more PT, and Dom being told to be more aggressive when he gets the ball. 

Couldnt agree with you more desco. Branch is the only player to ever use ball fakes and that has any chance of getting anywhere off the dribble. All of our other guards need to be in a triple threat position to have any chance to get by their man.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2013, 11:15:39 AM »

Couldnt agree with you more desco. Branch is the only player to ever use ball fakes and that has any chance of getting anywhere off the dribble. All of our other guards need to be in a triple threat position to have any chance to get by their man.

Branch and Sheed could be a nice PG tandem and Jordan could play off guard as well at times.. He is a like a young colt with great promise. Let him fly Lav! Mistakes, yes. Upside, tremendous IMO.