Looking ahead

• 175 replies

Foad

Re: Looking ahead
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2014, 03:24:54 PM »
Why is a loss in the first round of the tournament assumed?  (Yes, I know that was the question asked).  My point is, why? 

She that is Queen of Tunis; she that dwells
Ten leagues beyond man's life; she that from Naples
Can have no note, unless the sun were post—
The Man i' th' Moon's too slow—till new-born chins
Be rough and razorable; she that from whom
We all were sea-swallow'd, though some cast again
(And by that destiny) to perform an act
Whereof what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/history/_/team1/7471

I did the math off the top of my head btw and came up with the correct number of wins in my lifetime- 17. Thankfully there was only 17 so it did not require much math and I had 3 toes to spare.

You need to demonstrate your work to get credit for it in grade school math (just ask my kids, or Needs2go).

Mullin teams-6 wins
Post Mullin
Berry-1
Jackson-1
Sealy-4
Post Louie
Cain-1
Jarvis-4
That is how I came up with the 17, not exactly E=mc2 but probably should have just googled ST John's NCAA tourney history like Fun

I have that page bookmarked. I like to read it any time I start feeling even slightly optimistic.

« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2014, 06:36:56 PM »
Why is a loss in the first round of the tournament assumed?  (Yes, I know that was the question asked).  My point is, why? 

She that is Queen of Tunis; she that dwells
Ten leagues beyond man's life; she that from Naples
Can have no note, unless the sun were post—
The Man i' th' Moon's too slow—till new-born chins
Be rough and razorable; she that from whom
We all were sea-swallow'd, though some cast again
(And by that destiny) to perform an act
Whereof what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/history/_/team1/7471

I did the math off the top of my head btw and came up with the correct number of wins in my lifetime- 17. Thankfully there was only 17 so it did not require much math and I had 3 toes to spare.

You need to demonstrate your work to get credit for it in grade school math (just ask my kids, or Needs2go).

Mullin teams-6 wins
Post Mullin
Berry-1
Jackson-1
Sealy-4
Post Louie
Cain-1
Jarvis-4
That is how I came up with the 17, not exactly E=mc2 but probably should have just googled ST John's NCAA tourney history like Fun

I have that page bookmarked. I like to read it any time I start feeling even slightly optimistic.
Our "even keeled" Foad...

"Cling to the Chord, Display the pendant form,
Ply their bold task, Sing beneath the (Red) Storm;
These form a watch - and the same district hail,
With their Great Chief, who rules the helm and sail..."
[The American Mariners; pg 7; john Davis, January, 1822 - "The Author"]

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:40:42 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2014, 08:51:10 PM »
Just want to make sure I understand this correctly....

chronicbucks wishes that Super Storm Sandy had taken Baldi's life and nothing is done about it and the posts are left up on the board but Needs2go get reprimanded for calling Boo a donkey...     WTF..?

I thought the same thing but Dave is just trying to keep the peace.  He is a good guy I follow him on twitter.

« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
I am not sure why people say we have depth because I think that is the biggest problem with this team is that we play way too many guys and there is a major drop off from our starters to our reserves.  Its hard to believe this is basically the same core playing together for 2-3 years and they still have no chemistry what so ever.  If you didn't know this already I don't like a single JUCO player or transfer Lavin has brought in they are all terrible fundamental ball players.  Christian Jones would have been much better than Sanchez this year but Lavin fell in love with Sanchez that was one of his big recruits, a real difference maker.  I would also rather see Balamou get Branch's minutes as Balamou is all energy and good things seem to happen when he is on the floor but we all see how Lavin handled him this season.  Pointer has gotten so bad he is going backwards.  The rotations this guy puts out are mind boggling and he never ever makes in game adjustments I am so sick of watching a clueless basketball that has potential.  I have so much more to say but in short everything boils down to 3+5=W.  Those 2 guys should be glued to the bench and go down with your best players over the last few games.

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2014, 10:28:04 PM »
NIT is for clowns.  Maybe 4 years ago it was a decent tournament before it got watered down and took the best 4 teams out of it and put them in the NCAA's.

We need to get Massielo in here ASAP he is a solid coach he can recruit the area and the most important thing is he seems like a decent person.  Not a salesman type
Please! You want to critique his coaching...fine...now he isn't a decent person?? You're posts get worse by the day

« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
I love when the agenda finally comes out.

Poison

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2014, 11:13:41 PM »
I am not sure why people say we have depth because I think that is the biggest problem with this team is that we play way too many guys and there is a major drop off from our starters to our reserves.  Its hard to believe this is basically the same core playing together for 2-3 years and they still have no chemistry what so ever.  If you didn't know this already I don't like a single JUCO player or transfer Lavin has brought in they are all terrible fundamental ball players.  Christian Jones would have been much better than Sanchez this year but Lavin fell in love with Sanchez that was one of his big recruits, a real difference maker.  I would also rather see Balamou get Branch's minutes as Balamou is all energy and good things seem to happen when he is on the floor but we all see how Lavin handled him this season.  Pointer has gotten so bad he is going backwards.  The rotations this guy puts out are mind boggling and he never ever makes in game adjustments I am so sick of watching a clueless basketball that has potential.  I have so much more to say but in short everything boils down to 3+5=W.  Those 2 guys should be glued to the bench and go down with your best players over the last few games.

So, instead of a capable backup pg, you'd put a Swingman who has scored 1 point this season? Who can I ask will be running the offense if Branch and Jordan are on the bench?

I don't understand how you can advocate for Jones after seeing him play 4 times early last season? My guess is that you're not actually advocating for him, you've just got some strange problem w Sanchez, and Jones seems like an option. Last year, Jones showed a decent jumper, and some hops, but he had no clue on D. Maybe by next year he'll surprise us, but right now, I'll take my chances w Sanchez. I thought he played well on Tues.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:26:41 PM by Poison »

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2014, 12:26:10 AM »
Agree Poison.  I think Jones has upside and will be a good 4 year player when it is all said and done.  But right now Sanchez is the better option.  He is flawed on D and plays out of control at times (especially on the break), but he can provide some offensive spark in stretches and helps on the boards.  Agree also that Branch is a valuable role player for us.  Not every top 50 guy ends up being a star in college.

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:07 PM »
Branch is not a valuable back up.  A valuable back up comes in and adds spark or doesn't skip a beat from the starter.  Branch offers neither unless you love fancy passes that lead to nothing or a pg who plays 20+ minutes without an assist.  He is far from valuable and ONLY plays because of his ranking.  He is a very poor defender who does not know what to do when someone sets a screen and he has a putrid outside game where you don't even have to guard him.  He will flourish this Sunday against DePaul because he thrives against garbage competition and up and down games where defense doesn't matter much.  I like a back up pg who plays with control and gets his team involved and hits the scorers with passes in places they like to shoot and sorry to say but Branch offers none of that.  Why not just make your boy Sanchez point forward when Jordan gets a blow you love his game so much and have you ever seen him bring the ball up the court??????

3+5=W

Stick to that formula and I promise you we will be in the dance.  I find it funny how some people are satisfied with the NIT me not even close and I am a SUPER fan kind of like that guy Jeff Orr from Texas Tech who fought Marcus Smart.  This SUPER fan would be SUPER pissed off if we are in the NIT.  I will have zero interest in it except for possibly the point spread.

« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »
I challenge some one to come up with Branch's record as the starting pg of the team I am sure it is something like 5-20.  I almost freaked out when I saw he started last game and almost instantly I chalked it up as an L.

« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2014, 11:51:56 PM »
I challenge some one to come up with Branch's record as the starting pg of the team I am sure it is something like 5-20.  I almost freaked out when I saw he started last game and almost instantly I chalked it up as an L.

15 minutes in wins, 11.5 in losses
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LoganK

« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2014, 11:59:52 PM »
A valuable back up comes in and adds spark or doesn't skip a beat from the starter.

If a backup is adding to or equating a starter's game, he would be a starter.  They are backups because they aren't supposed to be as good (with a few exceptions i.e. Gardner coming off the bench for Marquette).

« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2014, 04:51:46 AM »

Do you not realize that maybe you have a flawed argument when you are blaming this much on the 7th or 8th  man?

« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2014, 04:59:27 AM »
....I almost freaked out...

What I wouldn't give to be a fly on that wall.

TONYD3

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2014, 09:19:31 AM »
Branch and Sanchez barely played in the second half. When we went down 10, they were both on the bench. I think Sanchez scored 11 points in 1st half. I think Sanchez is the most skilled backup forward we have had in 20 years. I also think branch is the best back up pg we have had in 20 years.
Still we win or lose with how d'lo and Jordan play.

« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2014, 09:28:15 AM »
I also think branch is the best back up pg we have had in 20 years

R u f'n serious Tony?????????  You really need to get a clue man.

Instead of being mesmerized by his ranking tell me one thing he does good.  Just one thing and that's it.  And don't say drive to the hole because he is only able to do that against teams that don't defend.

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2014, 09:33:35 AM »
He is a terrible defender

He has no outside game

He is a brutal free throw shooter

He does set other players up considering he is a pg

He makes way too many dumb mistakes and idiotic fouls 80 feet from the basket

He has very little strength

But he is our best backup pg in the last 20 years.  What the heck merits that besides his totally undeserved ranking.  I always say I would love to see the competition Branch played against at Arlington Prep.  Guaranteed at Texas A&M they were honest with him and told him he has a long, long way to go before he is going to get any significant playing time.  I also guarantee besides his gaudy Top 50 ranking Lavin didn't have a clue what type of player this guy is.  The Old Big East and Branch don't exactly go together like Milk and Cookies.

Tony please knock off the crap

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2014, 09:40:22 AM »
Also for all the people that fell in love with Sanchez' 11 first half points last game there's one little point you are missing.

If Sanchez got 11 the guy he was guarding got 15 so I am not sure why the monster celebration over one good half of basketball from our muscle man.  If he scores 20 he gives up 30 so lets drool over this skilled big man.  LOL Tony loves this guy.  Most skilled big man he has ever seen.

« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2014, 09:40:38 AM »
Needs2Go nis a perfect handle 4 u

bk8664

« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2014, 09:42:08 AM »
Also for all the people that fell in love with Sanchez' 11 first half points last game there's one little point you are missing.

If Sanchez got 11 the guy he was guarding got 15 so I am not sure why the monster celebration over one good half of basketball from our muscle man.  If he scores 20 he gives up 30 so lets drool over this skilled big man.  LOL Tony loves this guy.  Most skilled big man he has ever seen.

Just curious, where do you find the energy?