Seton Hall Game

• 155 replies

Wods317

Re: Seton Hall Game
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2016, 03:03:21 PM »
So this kind of brings in to question the significance of coaching. Obviously there are coaches like K that have significant impact on their players, mostly in offensive/defensive scheme. But how much credit does Mullin deserve for the improvements of Ellison, Yakwe and Ali (the three that have shown the most improvement, IMO)?

I will say that yakwe and jones' shot has looked better as the season has gone on, and I like to credit Mullin with that and other improvements, but from an outsiders perspective it is pretty hard to have an accurate understanding of impact.

Coaches at every level are only able to develop players who want to develop and improve. I have heard how Yakwe and Ellison are gym rats and Ellison is practicing before and after practice while Yakwe shoots dozens of extra jumpers and free throw to improve. The coaching staff is there to give them tips and help them but in my opinion all these kids under this staff have the tools to improve but the work needs to be done by them and not just at practice. It is no coincidence Yakwe and Ellison are the two who have made a noticeable jump.

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2016, 03:57:44 PM »
The thing I dislike most about Felix is the same I thing I dislike most about Ron; they complain on every call! I can't stand to watch it.

However I could never accuse Felix of giving less then 100% and it was really nice to see him throw one down like that again before his career was up. I just wish it could have came with a W.

M'vouika is the laziest player I've ever seen in a St.John's uniform. Balamou works much harder in the paint than he does elsewhere. It's odd to see a player of size want to mix it up inside as much as he does, but he's just better there.

Ummm the guy has had 2 back surgery in the last few years, including one over the spring/summer in which he had to re-learn how to walk afterwards.  He is not physically or skill-wise at the Big East level but he is definitely not dogging it and seems to be a very solid leader.  Would certainly much rather have Mvouika leading a young group than Obekpa & Rysheed.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2016, 04:20:13 PM »
The thing I dislike most about Felix is the same I thing I dislike most about Ron; they complain on every call! I can't stand to watch it.

However I could never accuse Felix of giving less then 100% and it was really nice to see him throw one down like that again before his career was up. I just wish it could have came with a W.
M'vouika is the laziest player I've ever seen in a St.John's uniform.

Couldn't he have been a little bit lazier in the last 10 seconds of the SH game?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:24:41 AM by carmineabbatiello »

Foad

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2016, 04:47:13 PM »

M'vouika is the laziest player I've ever seen in a St.John's uniform. Balamou works much harder in the paint than he does elsewhere. It's odd to see a player of size want to mix it up inside as much as he does, but he's just better there.

Ummm the guy has had 2 back surgery in the last few years, including one over the spring/summer in which he had to re-learn how to walk afterwards.  He is not physically or skill-wise at the Big East level but he is definitely not dogging it and seems to be a very solid leader.  Would certainly much rather have Mvouika leading a young group than Obekpa & Rysheed.

He's a pretty good rebounder - he had a bunch at the beginning of the second half that really helped turn the tide.  It's a shame he thinks playing defense consists of holding his hands palms up with a grimace on his face after he gets called for a foul.

« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2016, 04:49:07 PM »
I remember the first game I ever saw Felix play in.  I think it was against Baylor in some pre season tournament.  He came in and hit his first jumpshot.  A nice looking shot too.  Lavin took him right out.  Later he claimed he "did not see it' and "that if he did see it" he "would not have taken him out."  The previous staff was incredibly poor at player development.  In many cases the players actually got worse.  Like Gift.  And Pointer Junior year.  Branch did not improve and on and on.

Mullin ironically is great at both development and conditioning.  Even Amar and CJ looked very different in October then they had ever looked.  You could just see it.  Felix's shot disappeared under Lavin.  He really screwed players up.  I think Rico was in charge of player development.  Starting to get some insight, only now, as to why he may have been so ineffective.
Great post. But I think you said that 354 times already.
Never made a post about Felix's development before.  A couple of times since April, I may have mentioned Lavin's lack of player development, in general, but that is all .  Probably one or two posts since April.  It's so glaring and relevant.

« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2016, 05:01:51 PM »
I remember the first game I ever saw Felix play in.  I think it was against Baylor in some pre season tournament.  He came in and hit his first jumpshot.  A nice looking shot too.  Lavin took him right out.  Later he claimed he "did not see it' and "that if he did see it" he "would not have taken him out."  The previous staff was incredibly poor at player development.  In many cases the players actually got worse.  Like Gift.  And Pointer Junior year.  Branch did not improve and on and on.

Mullin ironically is great at both development and conditioning.  Even Amar and CJ looked very different in October then they had ever looked.  You could just see it.  Felix's shot disappeared under Lavin.  He really screwed players up.  I think Rico was in charge of player development.  Starting to get some insight, only now, as to why he may have been so ineffective.

They weren't incredibly poor at player development. They were just average. We know what incredibly poor player development looks like. We suffered through 6 years of it. Ignoring Justin Brownlee, Dwight Hardy, Sean Evans, Malik Boothe, Paris Horne, Justin Burrell, D'Angelo Harrison, Phil Greene and NBA draft pick Dom Pointer simply isn't fair.

Sometimes players don't develop and the player is the reason why. People talk about how wronged Balamou was by Lavin, and that season Lavin played him for 5 minutes was senseless, but Balamou was in the rotation last year, and he stunk. Just like he stinks this year.

He's a poor man's Rowan Barrett, and Rowan Barrett was a poor man's Willie Glass.
I was disappointed by the development of Harrison, Greene, and Pointer.  Particularly Pointers' junior year.  An incredible disappointment, as was the teams in general.  The Senior years of Norm's players; I give most of the credit to Dunlap.  An absolute basketball savant.

Now take Gift for example, he was improving under Dunlap, but in the subsequent two years under Lavin, he regressed.  Just did not see much  player progression under Lavin.  And in some cases you saw regression.

TONYD3

« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2016, 05:05:37 PM »
willie- every post is the same. Lavin- didn't recruit or coach. He left the team in awful shape.
Mullin does everything right, he is the savior, even when he loses its the Lavins fault. Or the no name team with no name players are better then we think but it's Lavins fault anyway.
you have done that in 355 posts now. I assume you will be doing that next year . When we win, Mullin will be god. When we lose it was Lavin.
Google some of the results from last year . We weren't that bad. Some of those awful players in the last 5 years had some decent college careers . But I forgot that was Mike Dunlap.
Maybe Felix wasn't that good. He wasn't recuited that high. Gods gift was never good. Branch was most likely over rated but in my opinion was better then he even thought .  If he played more confident he would have played better.
Pointer's best position was PF- he kind of looked good last year.

Foad

« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2016, 05:11:16 PM »
I was disappointed by the development of Harrison, Greene, and Pointer.  Particularly Pointers' junior year.  An incredible disappointment, as was the teams in general.  The Senior years of Norm's players; I give most of the credit to Dunlap.  An absolute basketball savant.

Now take Gift for example, he was improving under Dunlap, but in the subsequent two years under Lavin, he regressed.  Just did not see much  player progression under Lavin.  And in some cases you saw regression.

All of Lavin's players who I saw get better got better by attrition. They were all seniors who were bigger stronger and more experienced at the end than at the beginning. There was hardly a player whose skill set improved otherwise. Harrison as a senior for example was just a bigger better version of Harrison the freshman. Pointer merely harnessed his energy and focus. Greene merely stopped clanking his threes - he didnt learn to rebound or defend or pass or anything else. It wasn't like the difference between freshman Postell and senior Postell or freshman Horne and senior Horne. Even though he still stinks if you look at Alibegovic this year after only a couple of months he's a completely different player than he was last year. I don't think that's merely a coincidence or a natural progression. Someone who knows something about basketball is teaching him about basketball. It's a remarkable and refreshing change.

TONYD3

« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2016, 05:40:49 PM »
I think most coaches especially the one we have had would have told Amar to screen and not shoot . Mullin had given him confidence . Sometimes I happy with that sometimes not so much. Amar isn't very good. Do we really want him shooting? I'd i were the coach he wouldn't be allowed to shoot like he does. I don't believe giving him the green light is a good idea . So I agree Mullin has helped Amar. I don't agree yet that Amar will help us win shooting whenever and wherever he feels like.
Foad- I don't believe Lavin and staff to be the greatest - to say they had 0 to little affect on last years team is crazy to me. You think Greene barley improved? He was an above average guard in conference, you saw that as a freshman?
Harrison- was plenty skilled when he got here. He also didn't jump high or run fast. How much better could he have gotten? He still became a better defender and drove the ball better.
Pointer- couldn't dribble or shoot as freshman- he had a great senior season. He scored plenty of points. He showed plenty of skill. How much was Lavin and staff I have no idea ? But to say none is unfair .
Labor postell- don't Rememer his freshman year that much- as a senior he was a better scorer and shooter- but he was athletic. Easier to show improvement . Or was Mike Jarvis a genius?
Mullin talks player development and skills. That is his strength. In game coaching is not. If that doesn't get better we are in some trouble.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:44:43 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2016, 05:58:38 PM »
I think most coaches especially the one we have had would have told Amar to screen and not shoot . Mullin had given him confidence . Sometimes I happy with that sometimes not so much. Amar isn't very good. Do we really want him shooting? I'd i were the coach he wouldn't be allowed to shoot like he does. I don't believe giving him the green light is a good idea . So I agree Mullin has helped Amar. I don't agree yet that Amar will help us win shooting whenever and wherever he feels like.
Foad- I don't believe Lavin and staff to be the greatest - to say they had 0 to little affect on last years team is crazy to me. You think Greene barley improved? He was an above average guard in conference, you saw that as a freshman?
Harrison- was plenty skilled when he got here. He also didn't jump high or run fast. How much better could he have gotten? He still became a better defender and drove the ball better.
Pointer- couldn't dribble or shoot as freshman- he had a great senior season. He scored plenty of points. He showed plenty of skill. How much was Lavin and staff I have no idea ? But to say none is unfair .
Labor postell- don't Rememer his freshman year that much- as a senior he was a better scorer and shooter- but he was athletic. Easier to show improvement . Or was Mike Jarvis a genius?
Mullin talks player development and skills. That is his strength. In game coaching is not. If that doesn't get better we are in some trouble.
In spite of some evidence to the contrary, I am becoming bullish on amar. He's working hard on his body and is fairly athletic;  his shot looks decent and I think it will fall more as he gets more confidence. His best attribute is his motor and his leadership. He doesn't sulk, he has a great attitude, he keeps the other guys loose, and he hustles for 20 minutes a game. For some reason he was guarding whitehead a bunch early, and I thought "oh shit", but he actually did a nice job.

paultzman

« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2016, 06:10:36 PM »
In spite of some evidence to the contrary, I am becoming bullish on amar. He's working hard on his body and is fairly athletic;  his shot looks decent and I think it will fall more as he gets more confidence. His best attribute is his motor and his leadership. He doesn't sulk, he has a great attitude, he keeps the other guys loose, and he hustles for 20 minutes a game. For some reason he was guarding whitehead a bunch early, and I thought "oh shit", but he actually did a nice job.

Great attitude aside, if he plays more than a few minutes a game next year, IMO we are in trouble.

Poison

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2016, 06:59:31 PM »

Understood, but then it's fair to question why on earth the staff would take on two players who had no business playing basketball.

« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2016, 07:09:21 PM »
willie- every post is the same. Lavin- didn't recruit or coach. He left the team in awful shape.
Mullin does everything right, he is the savior, even when he loses its the Lavins fault. Or the no name team with no name players are better then we think but it's Lavins fault anyway.
you have done that in 355 posts now. I assume you will be doing that next year . When we win, Mullin will be god. When we lose it was Lavin.
Google some of the results from last year . We weren't that bad. Some of those awful players in the last 5 years had some decent college careers . But I forgot that was Mike Dunlap.
Maybe Felix wasn't that good. He wasn't recuited that high. Gods gift was never good. Branch was most likely over rated but in my opinion was better then he even thought .  If he played more confident he would have played better.
Pointer's best position was PF- he kind of looked good last year.
Every post is the same?  In the ten months I've been here I have made just a handful of posts to that effect.  I think you might be lumping me together with some of the Lavin bashers on this board.  I actually liked Lavin, but just did not see any development, and then with that, he lost his ability to recruit.

I don't praise Mullin too much.  Again, I think you must be confusing me with some other posters.  I was against the Mullin hire and I even said that in the Alumni questionnaire.  I always knew he would be good at player development and was impressed with how CJ and AA looked at the start.  For three years CJ showed nothing under Lavin.  Absolutely nothing.  Then, this year, at the pep rally, you could see a total transformation to a D1 basketball player.  Just looked so much fitter.  Same thing with Amar. Mullin can motivate and x's and o's are overrated. Now if Slice and Matt can recruit, we will be good.   But unless you are a cheater like Willard, that window closes quickly.  So we'll see.

Lavin killed Dom his Junior year by starting Sheed, for some unknown reason, and cutting Dom's minutes.  If  he didn't do that, we would not have missed the tourney.  Greene and Harrison played well for Freshman, and so did Dom, my God.  But their improvement, come on, was very minimal. Look at CO.  Lazy prima donna that Lav enabled. And how about the players who regressed like Gift, who was showing progress under Dunlap, and then just died under Lavin.

How could a group like what he had not make the tourney but for one year?  And not win any post season games, always flaming out in the end, after saying our goal is to be playing our best at the end of the year.  Come on, you saw this comedy play out every year the same way I did.  I have actually exercised great restraint in refraining from criticizing Lavin but you just got me going.  Don't lump me in with other posters because I have shown great restraint. I'm done with this issue.

« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2016, 07:11:18 PM »

Great attitude aside, if he plays more than a few minutes a game next year, IMO we are in trouble.

I'm not sure what you mean by "in trouble" (do you see this team making the ncaas if he plays less?), but I would guess he still gets ~10 minutes a game next year.

paultzman

« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2016, 07:20:26 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by "in trouble" (do you see this team making the ncaas if he plays less?), but I would guess he still gets ~10 minutes a game next year.
I just don't see him, short of an injury, getting much light in the frontcourt. Yakwe, Sima, Owens & Freudenberg should log most time there. Also, Ahmed can really rebound & could play some four if they really need him to. I like Amar & realize he is only a second year kid. That said, he can't rebound or score enough to merit time IMO. Maybe I am wrong, but feel the game is too fast for him.

« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2016, 07:26:59 PM »

Understood, but then it's fair to question why on earth the staff would take on two players who had no business playing basketball.
The answer to that, is of course, he only had a few months to recruit, when there were few players left on the board.  They needed a whole new roster at a time when there were very few players left.  Come on.

TONYD3

« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2016, 07:34:59 PM »

The answer to that, is of course, he only had a few months to recruit, when there were few players left on the board.  They needed a whole new roster at a time when there were very few players left.  Come on.
Your right . You haven't made that point yet.

« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2016, 08:54:34 PM »

I just don't see him, short of an injury, getting much light in the frontcourt. Yakwe, Sima, Owens & Freudenberg should log most time there. Also, Ahmed can really rebound & could play some four if they really need him to. I like Amar & realize he is only a second year kid. That said, he can't rebound or score enough to merit time IMO. Maybe I am wrong, but feel the game is too fast for him.

One Marillac redshirt special coming right up
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2016, 09:06:12 PM »

Actually he may be right on that.

Moose

« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2016, 09:42:45 PM »

Actually he may be right on that.

Who do you think would redshirt?
Remember who broke the Slice news