Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK

• 491 replies

ras

Re: Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2020, 06:59:33 PM »
I thought Mullin axed the idea of bringing mike rice in. I just don't get why he didn't make Mitch a special advisor and hire a real coach and recruiter.
That was stupid. Mullin had zero coaching exp, so who does he hire as his associate head coach , someone also w zero coaching exp. He should have had an experienced coach that was a recruiter also as his first assistant.

« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2020, 07:04:30 PM »
I am a lawyer. I went to law school instead of taking that job. There are aspects of being involved with a college athletic program that are disgusting and completely exhausting.

I have many stories as a former student athlete and coach that I can’t share here. In basketball and football it’s something new every single day. Drugs, fights, not going to class, girls, etc. I wanted no part of that.

I came up through the circuit of camps and clinics (and many hours drinking at the bar and hotel rooms after) with a ton of awesome guys who are now head coaches at prep schools, JUCOs and assistants at D-1 and D-2 colleges. JUCO was always seen as just a rung on the ladder — and you often have to switch ladders every year or two keep climbing. An assistant position at a Big East school is on a different planet than any head coaching JUCO position.
Give you a lot of credit for attending camps and clinics. Just wondering if you ran into Chrissy at any of them?

Marillac

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2020, 07:07:45 PM »
That was stupid. Mullin had zero coaching exp, so who does he hire as his associate head coach , someone also w zero coaching exp. He should have had an experienced coach that was a recruiter also as his first assistant.

Hiring Mitch as an assistant was insanity. We already got 99.9% of the benefit of having him from his role as a special advisor.  We had a very good replacement lined up for Matt but Mullin was let go.

The entire coaching staff was built around Slice’s experience. Losing him and not immediately replacing him with an experienced assistant is the most St. John’s thing ever.

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2020, 07:09:51 PM »
Give you a lot of credit for attending camps and clinics. Just wondering if you ran into Chrissy at any of them?

No, but I’ve chatted up Slice several times.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »
Marillac thanks for sharing.
I asked about Anderson’s staff is because since everything is new this is a baseline year. That means limited adjustments will probably be made as CMA staff learns his systems and how he runs things.

It will be interesting if anything can be adjusted or changed in the future. Not expecting major changes because Anderson has his system, but what kind of influence will he Anderson allow his staff to have.

...Some of these games have to go our way...eventually...right?...
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2020, 07:40:02 PM »
Marillac thanks for sharing.
I asked about Anderson’s staff is because since everything is new this is a baseline year. That means limited adjustments will probably be made as CMA staff learns his systems and how he runs things.

It will be interesting if anything can be adjusted or changed in the future. Not expecting major changes because Anderson has his system, but what kind of influence will he Anderson allow his staff to have.

...Some of these games have to go our way...eventually...right?...
What do you think is wrong with the staff? I haven’t agreed with everything he has done. But the guys have responded. Well aware we are losing.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2020, 08:06:58 PM »
What do you think is wrong with the staff? I haven’t agreed with everything he has done. But the guys have responded. Well aware we are losing.

Tony not saying there is anything wrong with the staff. Just trying to compare.

A big critique of Mullin’s tenure was his staff.

What hurt Lavin was when Dunlap left.

Is Anderson and his staff a good pairing, does it make sense. Would there anybody want any upgrades.

Everyone can agree that Norm had to go, but the disagreement (which can be good debate) is with the two previous coaches and our current one.

Anderson is clearly the coach first coach. Where Lavin was recruiting, and Mullin was an all time great that was also learning on the job.

Can it be said that part of the downfall was a weak staff for Lavin and Mullin? Can Anderson stabilize this program with Regis staff?
Cougar O' Malley

SJUFAN

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2020, 09:23:13 PM »
No coach is above criticism. However I do believe it’s a bit premature to critique Anderson and staff midway into his first year based on his win/loss total. We were picked to finish 2nd to last. We have the worse roster in the BE. Anderson doesn’t just need his players, he needs players!

We should see steady improvement each year as the offensive talent on the team improves.

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2020, 12:14:00 AM »
But the guys have responded. 
The guys have responded? What would the record be if they hadn't responded. 0-7?

« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2020, 12:17:10 AM »
We should see steady improvement each year as the offensive talent on the team improves.
You've got to be kidding me with this line. That won't be good enough for you. That's what Mullin did and you hate him.

« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2020, 09:43:42 AM »
Tony not saying there is anything wrong with the staff. Just trying to compare.

A big critique of Mullin’s tenure was his staff.

What hurt Lavin was when Dunlap left.

Is Anderson and his staff a good pairing, does it make sense. Would there anybody want any upgrades.

Everyone can agree that Norm had to go, but the disagreement (which can be good debate) is with the two previous coaches and our current one.

Anderson is clearly the coach first coach. Where Lavin was recruiting, and Mullin was an all time great that was also learning on the job.

Can it be said that part of the downfall was a weak staff for Lavin and Mullin? Can Anderson stabilize this program with Regis staff?

I think Anderson put together a very complementary and experienced staff. I still believe that recruiting will be biggest question mark.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2020, 11:05:58 AM »
I think Anderson put together a very complementary and experienced staff. I still believe that recruiting will be biggest question mark.

I thought you called it worse than mullin and norms staff?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

derk

« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2020, 04:16:41 PM »
No, but I’ve chatted up Slice several times.

So is he back coaching or thinking about it for anytime in the future

SJUFAN

« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2020, 04:24:35 PM »
You've got to be kidding me with this line. That won't be good enough for you. That's what Mullin did and you hate him.

I don’t hate Mullin. Last year was the best he was going to get us. We can be better than losing in the play in game every 4 years. That was our ceiling. His recruiting philosophy and not emphasizing defense and rebounding was not gonna cut it.

He had one of the greatest scorers in SJU history playing along with 4 & 5 star recruits and couldn’t generate a .500 record in BE play? He’s not getting another Ponds, mainly because they weren’t recruiting HS kids. This year was gonna be rough regardless of who the coach was.

Do you believe Mullin was going to bring us to the NCAA tournament this year if he was retained?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 04:25:08 PM by SJUFAN »

Foad

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2020, 04:34:08 PM »
His recruiting philosophy […] was not gonna cut it. […] He had one of the greatest scorers in SJU history playing along with 4 & 5 star recruits

Yeah, recruiting "one of the greatest scorers in SJ history" and various other "4 & 5 star recruits," that sounds like not cutting it. Good point.

TONYD3

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2020, 05:19:01 PM »
Yeah, recruiting "one of the greatest scorers in SJ history" and various other "4 & 5 star recruits," that sounds like not cutting it. Good point.
None of you mullin fans will answer this. But would any of you who had a son who was a high 4 star recruit send your son to play for Chris mullin? Assuming he had other high offers would anyone even consider St. John’s ?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 05:23:19 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2020, 06:10:17 PM »
None of you mullin fans will answer this. But would any of you who had a son who was a high 4 star recruit send your son to play for Chris mullin? Assuming he had other high offers would anyone even consider St. John’s ?
Mullin did convince Pervous Ellison to send his son to St Johns; Ponds', Yakwe's, LoVett's, Heron's parents all bought in, Clark, Simon...we did get our fair share of highly rated HS talent. Trouble was, on the court, he didn't do anything but set up 3 point shots on offense and relied on shot blocking for defense.

I would send my son to play for St Johns because [1] I've been a fan going back to the 1970s [2] I know the connections he would benefit from off the court; [3] St Johns guys do make money playing professionally because we do attract talent.

That's almost like saying its St Johns primary, whoever is coaching is secondary.

SJUFAN

« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2020, 07:05:06 PM »
Mullin did convince Pervous Ellison to send his son to St Johns; Ponds', Yakwe's, LoVett's, Heron's parents all bought in, Clark, Simon...we did get our fair share of highly rated HS talent.

People don’t want to hear this but Ponds, LoVett, Yakwe, and Mussini came to SJU curtesy of the Lavin regime. Then look who we began to land out of HS, Trimble, Earlington, Roberts, and Williams. We had no one but Mack committed for the 2019 class. We had one recruiter who didn’t spend much time in HS’s.

SJUFAN

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2020, 07:16:53 PM »

Now tell me who he had signed for 2019? Or 2020? Who were we even remotely involved with? You can’t develop and sustain a winning tradition off of transfers alone imo.