Mid-year transfers?

• 296 replies
Re: Mid-year transfers?
« Reply #280 on: December 29, 2016, 01:25:37 AM »
At this point, Mullin's fate shouldn't be determined, but he has to show progress this year. 

Uh...no, he doesn't.  You and others can pen thousands of posts trashing him but it will make not one bit of difference.  Coach is going to get at least 5 or 6 years to make it happen whether you like it or not.

IMO, he won't get "at least 5 or 6 years" to turn it around.  For instance, if this season is similar to last season, and next isn't much better, then don't be surprised to see this relationship end.

If there is improvement this season, and a berth in the NIT next season (although, that was my deal this season, but oh well....),  then things would look promising going forward.  In that scenario, then I could see receiving 5 or 6 seasons. 

I doubt we waste 5 or 6 seasons on a shiteshow again.  There will have to be improvement next season for the staff to be retained, IMO.

IMO, his leash is very, very long.

« Reply #281 on: December 29, 2016, 01:26:12 AM »
Don't you think a Steve Pikiell could do some damage with real talent? 

Steve Pikiell s*cks.  Will Brown cleaned his clock on a regular basis and when he finally did make the tournament,  his teams showing against Kentucky was an embarrassment to the league.

His Rutgers team has 11 wins. That's Rutgers. Just because he's not as good as Will Brown doesn't mean he sucks. So far, he looks like a good hire for Rutgers. I don't think we're in much of a position to be pointing a finger at Pikiell.

Fair enough.

« Reply #282 on: December 29, 2016, 01:33:17 AM »
Don't you think a Steve Pikiell could do some damage with real talent? 

Steve Pikiell s*cks.  Will Brown cleaned his clock on a regular basis and when he finally did make the tournament,  his teams showing against Kentucky was an embarrassment to the league.
I get your support for Mullin but to expect Stony Brook to compete with Kentucky is laughable. Doubt the conference who probably knows it place in college basketball was embarrassed.

Albany, from the same conference, competed well with Kentucky in the same season and in a true road game.  Not on a neutral court.  Same deal with Ucan't(when they were good), Puke, tournament overall #1 seed Florida and others.

The conference was embarrassed.

Poison

« Reply #283 on: December 29, 2016, 03:13:55 AM »
At this point, Mullin's fate shouldn't be determined, but he has to show progress this year. 

Uh...no, he doesn't.  You and others can pen thousands of posts trashing him but it will make not one bit of difference.  Coach is going to get at least 5 or 6 years to make it happen whether you like it or not.

IMO, he won't get "at least 5 or 6 years" to turn it around.  For instance, if this season is similar to last season, and next isn't much better, then don't be surprised to see this relationship end.

If there is improvement this season, and a berth in the NIT next season (although, that was my deal this season, but oh well....),  then things would look promising going forward.  In that scenario, then I could see receiving 5 or 6 seasons. 

I doubt we waste 5 or 6 seasons on a shiteshow again.  There will have to be improvement next season for the staff to be retained, IMO.

Would you be surprised to find out that it's not very, very long?

NYCoffey

« Reply #285 on: December 29, 2016, 11:47:12 AM »

He may be surprised, but I wouldn't.  Frankly, he shouldn't be given carte blanche.  If we're in a similar position two or three years from now, and he's still on the sidelines, then I'd be surprised.

I don't believe we're gonna make the same mistake twice.  This is why I think we're gonna have to see this thing truly ascending by next season or it's a wrap.

« Reply #286 on: December 29, 2016, 12:21:43 PM »
I don't see Mullin ever getting fired. I don't think the school would ever have the balls to fire Chris Mullin. If he leaves it will be when he wants to step down, IMO.

Poison

« Reply #287 on: December 29, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »

He may be surprised, but I wouldn't.  Frankly, he shouldn't be given carte blanche.  If we're in a similar position two or three years from now, and he's still on the sidelines, then I'd be surprised.

I don't believe we're gonna make the same mistake twice.  This is why I think we're gonna have to see this thing truly ascending by next season or it's a wrap.

I think most of us are in agreement here, and some of us are just frustrated with how the University makes decisions. Of course, he won't have carte blanche. No one has carte blanche that is an employee of a company, and Mullin, player legend or not, still is an employee. He shouldn't be fired on Christmas. He should be evaluated when he has a roster of talented players. He shouldn't be blamed for losing a transfer or a player to the NBA draft/NBDL draft, but if defections become the rule, as opposed to isolated situations, it's fair to question Mullin's ability to connect with players.

Firing him would be horrible for the University and for all of us a fans. It is the Yankees firing Yogi Berra. Actually, it's worse.

« Reply #288 on: December 29, 2016, 12:28:26 PM »
I don't see Mullin ever getting fired. I don't think the school would ever have the balls to fire Chris Mullin. If he leaves it will be when he wants to step down, IMO.

Besides the PR hit and good will it would lose if the School had to eat Mullin's contract while already still paying Slice the replacement coach would have to work for free. Norm Roberts part 2?

« Reply #289 on: December 29, 2016, 01:57:56 PM »

Besides the PR hit and good will it would lose if the School had to eat Mullin's contract while already still paying Slice the replacement coach would have to work for free. Norm Roberts part 2?

We're talking about a school who couldn't let go of Norm Roberts because he was a "nice guy." Now, to think they would fire their most famous alum and the face of St. John's basketball without at least giving him half a decade, is absurd to me. He's the coach until he doesn't want to be anymore.

That said, that Syracuse win was huge for us, and I have a lot more faith in Mullin than i did 2 weeks ago. I know they are in a down year, but it's still Syracuse.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:59:45 PM by redstorm212 »

sju89tr

« Reply #290 on: December 30, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »

We're talking about a school who couldn't let go of Norm Roberts because he was a "nice guy." Now, to think they would fire their most famous alum and the face of St. John's basketball without at least giving him half a decade, is absurd to me. He's the coach until he doesn't want to be anymore.

That said, that Syracuse win was huge for us, and I have a lot more faith in Mullin than i did 2 weeks ago. I know they are in a down year, but it's still Syracuse.

Let's not forget we now have a new President and a new AD. Times have changed.

Personally I think Mullin will be OK. He needs a real bench coach. He's made some mistakes but they can be fixed. He's a "young" coach with a young team. Only time will tell.     

« Reply #291 on: December 30, 2016, 01:30:53 PM »
Any Update on USF transfer visit...Was he sitting right behind the bench last night?

Wods317

« Reply #292 on: December 30, 2016, 01:43:22 PM »
Any Update on USF transfer visit...Was he sitting right behind the bench last night?

A huge win and sold out crowd. We couldn't have picked a better game for him to witness.

Johnny23

« Reply #293 on: December 30, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »

Yes.

desco80

« Reply #294 on: December 30, 2016, 02:08:58 PM »

hnk

« Reply #295 on: January 01, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
Is january 18th....first day of spring semester - the deadline? Any rumors of anyone else?

« Reply #296 on: January 01, 2017, 11:13:21 PM »
If he's shown you something pray tell what specifically is it?

1) A very convincing beat down win in the Carrier dome.

2) The recruitment of Love it and Ponds.

I think it's time to add Bashir to #2.