Game 21: Seton Hall

• 198 replies

cjfish

Re: Game 21: Seton Hall
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »
Nice second half but it is men vs boys.  Horrible D as usual.  Ponds out of sync.  When you live and die with the 3 and have no size this can and will happen.

« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2017, 02:28:08 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille  1m1 minute ago
"I told them at halftime they were soft and selfish" -- Chris Mulln. Harsh assessment. #sjubb

« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2017, 02:45:21 PM »
Do you think we impressed any recruits today?

« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »
"I told them at halftime they were soft and selfish" -- Chris Mulln. Harsh assessment. #sjubb
May be a little harsh but also true. Enough with the coddling. Watched the Army-Navy game and especially Army has constant motion, moving, screening, cutting and passing. Our offense is mostly one on one with 4 guys watching and very little crashing of the boards. Get some men in here.

TONYD3

« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2017, 02:50:26 PM »
Our coach has start assessing himself. We had no chance today. We did not play poor in the 1st half. We played like we usually play . We take bad shots. We play no defense. That is on the Coach.

I am aware that seton hall is better then us. I am aware they are bigger. No reason why we should be completely dominated like that for 13 or so minutes .
The second half comeback means nothing. Game was over.

cjfish

« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2017, 02:56:31 PM »
May be a little harsh but also true. Enough with the coddling. Watched the Army-Navy game and especially Army has constant motion, moving, screening, cutting and passing. Our offense is mostly one on one with 4 guys watching and very little crashing of the boards. Get some men in here.

AAU makes it tough for kids to transcend to real ball

« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »
The team is never prepared and just counts on the 3 to win. Maybe 1 or 2 more wins this season. We will be sold on this Walker kid. This time next year will pray to make the CIT.

paultzman

« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2017, 03:11:44 PM »

New York Post Sports – Verified account ‏@nypostsports

Seton Hall just showed how far away St. John's is from competing  http://nyp.st/2jmb60D

Marillac

« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »
This is why some of us were more concerned with Delgado than Patton. 20 rebounds and 0 fouls doesn't even seem possible.

« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2017, 03:30:11 PM »

« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2017, 03:31:20 PM »
This is why some of us were more concerned with Delgado than Patton. 20 rebounds and 0 fouls doesn't even seem possible.

The team didn't seem to be concerned with either

« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »
We have no lunch pale players

Marillac

« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2017, 03:43:59 PM »
WTF happened to Yakwe? Didn't he outplay Delgado last year and getvlike 16 and 15? What a puzzling devolution.

« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
WTF happened to Yakwe? Didn't he outplay Delgado last year and getvlike 16 and 15? What a puzzling devolution.

We had prominsing young bigs last year. Now 1 is gone and the other is an empty uniform. What's the common denominator?

Marillac

« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2017, 04:47:32 PM »

We had prominsing young bigs last year. Now 1 is gone and the other is an empty uniform. What's the common denominator?

I won't bite. Tariq Owens looked much better from the opening minutes of the season than he did at TN or in the exhibition last year. Coaches don't make players worse.

« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2017, 04:51:04 PM »

I won't bite. Tariq Owens looked much better from the opening minutes of the season than he did at TN or in the exhibition last year. Coaches don't make players worse.

They do have a hand in making them better

boo3

« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2017, 04:54:59 PM »
 The shot selection was so awful in the first half.  I shut it off before halftime.  Got no time for garbage hoops.

« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2017, 05:12:45 PM »
We consistently lead the league in taking ridiculously difficult shots. That we make some of them only encourages us to take even more of them. Ahmed and Ellison were main culprits today, followed closely by Ponds and Lovett.

Seems counterintuitive to criticize LoVett for a game in which he was our high scorer, but he is not moving the ball and finding open guys. Ponds' poor game is largely attributable to the fact that LoVett did not give up the ball today.

We play no defense, don't rebound, and have no one who fights for 50/50 balls other than Owens who was manhandled today. If we're not sharing the ball, we can't beat anybody.

« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2017, 06:20:49 PM »
Our guys leave their feet all the time on defense.  It's absurd.  Just stay between your man and the basket.
Ahmed has a future in track and field hurdles

« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2017, 06:38:17 PM »
Why do we always look under prepared.

This is another reason for concernment.  People continue to speak about youth and lack of size (although, both have some merits), but it's being overplayed by a few posters.  There are several fundamental issues with this team that's not gonna be fixed by simply adding Simon, Clark, or any other solid or good player to the mix.

Fundamentals that needed to be learned at the high school level. Recruit smarter players, I don't care if they can dribble through their legs and fall down after taking a 3

Some part of fundamentals should be learned in high school, but you still need to practice 'em daily.  Not to mention, there are many high school players who don't know how to play man defense.  Some don't have a clue, while others may have the ability to do so, but have bad habits by not consistently moving their feet and/or reaching for steals. 

Regardless, they still need to be taught and coached on the collegiate level.  There doesn't seem like there's a plan in place.  You can't consistently play this style of ball they wanna play on offense without legit, NBA-level players.  I've said this same thing many times previously.

It's just a complete shiteshow, defensively.  It doesn't even look like they practice much on defense.  People can say what they want, but this season is gonna be an important one, as far as showing we're moving in the right direction.  If we keep getting our arse handed to us by mediocre conference teams the rest of the way, then next season could be a "pressure cooker" type scenario for Mullin.
I haven't seen either Simon or Clark play. But, I think even with improvement of current roster and addition of these 2, we will be middle of pack at best. In and of itself, not bad results for 3rd year of total rebuild. However, the trajectory is not steep enough - without a recruit with the potential of Brown coming on board.

Next year will be critical especially from a recruiting standpoint. If we don't close big on this class - rebuild will be prolonged.

I believe CM, Matt et al realize this and are on it. High stakes and very little, if any, margin for failure.