Assistant Coaches

• 364 replies

Marillac

Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2019, 06:55:11 PM »
Explain to me why CMA would want a coach that doesn’t coach defense and doesn’t recruit or develop players? What’s the love affair with GSJ? He’s a hard worker, yes, but so are many other more qualified coaches who don’t get the opportunity cause their daddy didn’t coach in the league.

I would think Anderson has the defense down by now. St. Jean is really impressive offensively and if we had a capable big man or a second ball handler nobody would question that.

I think St. Jean would pick up Anderson’s system fast.

Let’s not hold all of last season against St. Jean. He was working within Mullin’s parameters.

« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2019, 10:04:10 PM »
Think cause even though he had no ties prior to SJU he dove right in, lived near campus, showed emotion when others on staff looked like they were planning their getaway to NoCal. Cause after the season was over and it was inevitable that things were going to get blown up he was out there with Marv rooting him on. Cause players like D’lo and most on current roster wanted him back.

« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2019, 10:17:49 PM »
and developer of shooters, it helps when you hit a game winning shot in the natty
We just had not one but two hall of fame, all-time top Nba elite level pure shooters on the staff. The shooting improved and was good considering there was no and I mean zero inside game to speak of.  It was not nearly enough for the fanbase from hell.

Marillac

« Reply #203 on: April 26, 2019, 12:11:03 AM »
I’m expecting a very underwhelming staff.

pmg911

« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2019, 09:57:42 AM »
I would think Anderson has the defense down by now. St. Jean is really impressive offensively and if we had a capable big man or a second ball handler nobody would question that.

I think St. Jean would pick up Anderson’s system fast.

Let’s not hold all of last season against St. Jean. He was working within Mullin’s parameters.

Come on man, GSJ was "impressive offensively"..?

What was impressive.? 

The entire offense lived & died by making 3's...  and that is ok but certainly not "impressive" and at other times it was literally . . 

1. first guy open - shoot it
2. let Ponds dribble out on the permeter until the shot clock ran down then force something...

These things worked at times but it's not like St. John's was running great sets or clearly identifying and taking advantage of mismatches

ras

« Reply #205 on: April 26, 2019, 10:51:08 AM »
I’m expecting a very underwhelming staff.
I have to figure Hsu is out, who are you expecting? I’m expecting Cleveland and Borman which are nice pieces.

sju89tr

« Reply #206 on: April 26, 2019, 11:50:01 AM »
I have to figure Hsu is out, who are you expecting? I’m expecting Cleveland and Borman which are nice pieces.

I am thinking Cleveland, Thurman, Borman and a DOBO (I understand Reid is not in the mix) 

Marillac

« Reply #207 on: April 26, 2019, 11:57:13 AM »
Come on man, GSJ was "impressive offensively"..?

What was impressive.? 

The entire offense lived & died by making 3's...  and that is ok but certainly not "impressive" and at other times it was literally . . 

1. first guy open - shoot it
2. let Ponds dribble out on the permeter until the shot clock ran down then force something...

These things worked at times but it's not like St. John's was running great sets or clearly identifying and taking advantage of mismatches

We had no big men, no depth, and just one ball handler. Next year’s Arizona State squad will have 5-6 guys better than our second best ball handler this past year.

pmg911

« Reply #208 on: April 26, 2019, 01:03:21 PM »
We had no big men, no depth, and just one ball handler. Next year’s Arizona State squad will have 5-6 guys better than our second best ball handler this past year.

What does that have to do with being "impressive offensively"..?

Like I said, the entire offense revolved around hitting 3's - they had no other choice but its not like the staff was doing anything special or creative...

« Reply #209 on: April 26, 2019, 01:22:05 PM »
What does Anderson's half court offense look like?  We know about the pressing and the tempo, but perhaps GSJ's set designs could be valuable.  Isn't that the role Watkins played on Anderson's prior staff?  St Jean is not my preference but I'd rather him than some of the other guys being discussed.

Would strongly prefer the Hsu + LJ combo.  Sounds like we are a bag or two short of making that happen.

sju89tr

« Reply #210 on: April 26, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »
What does Anderson's half court offense look like?  We know about the pressing and the tempo, but perhaps GSJ's set designs could be valuable.  Isn't that the role Watkins played on Anderson's prior staff?  St Jean is not my preference but I'd rather him than some of the other guys being discussed.

Would strongly prefer the Hsu + LJ combo.  Sounds like we are a bag or two short of making that happen.

I think that would have happened if it was a possibility. The LJ issue is puzzling, why transfer and sit out at any school.

goredmen

« Reply #211 on: April 26, 2019, 02:54:22 PM »
I think that would have happened if it was a possibility. The LJ issue is puzzling, why transfer and sit out at any school.

I think you know the actual answer to this one

sju89tr

« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2019, 03:03:17 PM »
I think you know the actual answer to this one

I do but if it's what I think it's that then just go pro overseas cause that's where he will end up eventually anyway.

« Reply #213 on: April 26, 2019, 05:22:42 PM »
Per @StJohnsBBall press release Mike Anderson has hired @TJ_Cleveland as an associate head coach. Cleveland has worked for Anderson since his graduation, joining him at UAB, Mizzou & Arkansas. He was a two year team captain during his playing days with the Razorbacks. #SJUBB

Marillac

« Reply #214 on: April 26, 2019, 06:24:54 PM »
Per @StJohnsBBall press release Mike Anderson has hired @TJ_Cleveland as an associate head coach. Cleveland has worked for Anderson since his graduation, joining him at UAB, Mizzou & Arkansas. He was a two year team captain during his playing days with the Razorbacks. #SJUBB

I appreciate his loyalty and I would do the exact same thing for my nephews, but this sucks for St. John’s. We could have had Cleveland no matter what. With no Watkins and no associate head coach title there is no chance this staff is better than the staff he had at Arkansas.

Why are we always one good coach away?

goredmen

« Reply #215 on: April 26, 2019, 06:53:30 PM »
Andrew Slater
Word is Van Macon is trying hard to join Mike Anderson and his nephew Cleveland #SJUBB

Macon is Associate HC at Saint Louis, was on Mike Rice's staff at Rutgers and was with Pecora at both Hofstra and Fordham. Has NY ties for sure, but not sure if he can recruit at the highest level.

Also, at least Slater called Mike Anderson by name this time

Marillac

« Reply #216 on: April 26, 2019, 07:44:19 PM »
Andrew Slater
Word is Van Macon is trying hard to join Mike Anderson and his nephew Cleveland #SJUBB

Macon is Associate HC at Saint Louis, was on Mike Rice's staff at Rutgers and was with Pecora at both Hofstra and Fordham. Has NY ties for sure, but not sure if he can recruit at the highest level.

Also, at least Slater called Mike Anderson by name this time

The staff can’t be Mike Anderson and three okay recruiters. Someone needs to help develop players and help with Xs and Os.

goredmen

« Reply #217 on: April 26, 2019, 07:56:03 PM »
The staff can’t be Mike Anderson and three okay recruiters. Someone needs to help develop players and help with Xs and Os.

Are you going to bash the staff non stop for the next few years now because they didn't hire your boy Hsu?

Marillac

« Reply #218 on: April 26, 2019, 08:07:57 PM »
Are you going to bash the staff non stop for the next few years now because they didn't hire your boy Hsu?

When have I bashed the staff? Other than the disastrous Norm Roberts I have never bashed a staff.

It’s disappointing. We need a transfer expert. Look around the Big East...this is a transfer conference now. Gtown and Creighton just landed good transfers this week. JUCOs are not a reliable source of talent anymore.

Hsu was never coming here. We don’t make things that easy. We have to followup a surprisingly good hire with no support for that hire. It’s the St. John’s way.

And who is going to coach up the big men and be a bench coach without Watkins?

goredmen

« Reply #219 on: April 26, 2019, 08:18:39 PM »
When have I bashed the staff? Other than the disastrous Norm Roberts I have never bashed a staff.

It’s disappointing. We need a transfer expert. Look around the Big East...this is a transfer conference now. Gtown and Creighton just landed good transfers this week. JUCOs are not a reliable source of talent anymore.

Hsu was never coming here. We don’t make things that easy. We have to followup a surprisingly good hire with no support for that hire. It’s the St. John’s way.

And who is going to coach up the big men and be a bench coach without Watkins?

You're already bashing the staff and it isn't even fully in place yet. Not even a half hour ago you posted "I really like the Anderson hire but I feel like his staff will be his undoing here."

I have no idea if the Van Macon thing has legs or not but if the staff ends up being Cleveland, Macon and Borman then it's a fine staff. Cleveland is more than just an "okay recruiter", as is Macon. They may not be superstar assistants but both Cleveland and Macon are well respected and we now have a head coach that will also be a big part of both the recruiting, X's and O's and player development.

Also, I'm sure Borman will be far more useful on gamedays than Matt was. We'll actually have 4 useful coaches for once.