Assistant Coaches

• 364 replies
Re: Assistant Coaches
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2019, 08:54:42 PM »
Am I missing something on Hsu? He’s been at Binghamton new mex st, New Mexico and western Kentucky surely a man of his talents should be at a top power 5 conf team

wpc77

« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2019, 09:17:45 PM »
Am I missing something on Hsu? He’s been at Binghamton new mex st, New Mexico and western Kentucky surely a man of his talents should be at a top power 5 conf team

You are not missing anything.  It's not a big deal
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:18:55 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2019, 10:00:37 PM »
You're already bashing the staff and it isn't even fully in place yet. Not even a half hour ago you posted "I really like the Anderson hire but I feel like his staff will be his undoing here."

I have no idea if the Van Macon thing has legs or not but if the staff ends up being Cleveland, Macon and Borman then it's a fine staff. Cleveland is more than just an "okay recruiter", as is Macon. They may not be superstar assistants but both Cleveland and Macon are well respected and we now have a head coach that will also be a big part of both the recruiting, X's and O's and player development.

Also, I'm sure Borman will be far more useful on gamedays than Matt was. We'll actually have 4 useful coaches for once.
Have to understand Marillac is used to CM who was lacking in all phases of coaching. He is not used to a professional college basketball coach.

QuanMan

« Reply #223 on: April 26, 2019, 11:29:53 PM »
As important as assistant's are, I feel like to a certain degree we're undervaluing CMA. His 370 wins and decades of experience gains my trust in him, not the 3-4 guys he hires. He is fully engaged in all aspects and will have full control. His assistants will compliment him, not the other way around. Fill out this staff with a Macon type, eventually Borman and a good DOBO and let's roll.
Section 3
Section 116

SJUFAN

« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2019, 02:00:50 AM »
We don’t know what kind of budget CMA has to work with for his assistant coaches. Anyone know the terms of CMA’s deal?

« Reply #225 on: April 27, 2019, 05:53:24 AM »
We don’t know what kind of budget CMA has to work with for his assistant coaches. Anyone know the terms of CMA’s deal?

Pretty Sure St. John's can only afford to pay their assistants minimum wage, so this year it will be $11.10 per hour and this upcoming December they get a pay raise going up to $11.80 per hour. All of this is based on how many hours they worked how much they recruit and such.....

Marillac

« Reply #226 on: April 27, 2019, 07:58:42 AM »

This is St. John’s with a crappy prez and sidekick so it’s safe to assume the budget is not enough afford a staff that would leave no doubt that we’d be successful.

« Reply #227 on: April 27, 2019, 11:04:02 AM »
Have no problem with Cleveland. Based on what I’ve read he is a bright, hard working up and comer who can both coach and not recruit (and recruits at each level, HS, JUCO and the transfer game). Watkins seemed like a good fit experience-wise but if he wants to retire or stay in the South region so be it.

Give me Cleveland, a second guy like Macon who can coach and is connected as a recruiter (think he coaches the bigs for SLU), and a young connected recruiter in Borman and I think that’s a good staff that makes sense for this particular program. And it will be refreshing to have assistants that can coach, develop players and recruit because our last few have seemingly been filled with one-trick ponies.

Poison

« Reply #228 on: April 27, 2019, 11:36:19 AM »
This is St. John’s with a crappy prez and sidekick so it’s safe to assume the budget is not enough afford a staff that would leave no doubt that we’d be successful.

It’s true that Gempesaw is clueless, but hiring a good staff isn’t just about the money. We’ve paid quite a bit for coaches that did a terrible job.

Anderson can find hard working qualified guys to add to his staff, and we should expect that he will because he always has.

« Reply #230 on: April 27, 2019, 12:13:07 PM »
As important as assistant's are, I feel like to a certain degree we're undervaluing CMA. His 370 wins and decades of experience gains my trust in him, not the 3-4 guys he hires. He is fully engaged in all aspects and will have full control. His assistants will compliment him, not the other way around. Fill out this staff with a Macon type, eventually Borman and a good DOBO and let's roll.

This is very true. Every coach that was up for consideration required ‘help’ to make him better. CMA doesn’t need to be made better. He needs compliments, not upgrades.

SJUFAN

« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2019, 01:16:18 PM »
This is very true. Every coach that was up for consideration required ‘help’ to make him better. CMA doesn’t need to be made better. He needs compliments, not upgrades.

That’s the true benefit of CMA’s hire imo. He’s a bonafide coach with tons of experience. He knows what he needs on his staff for his success.

redslope

« Reply #232 on: April 27, 2019, 01:56:32 PM »
That’s the true benefit of CMA’s hire imo. He’s a bonafide coach with tons of experience. He knows what he needs on his staff for his success.

Unlike his predecessor HC and AHC both CMA and TJ use twitter to communicate--what a change to have a coaches using social media
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 01:57:06 PM by redslope »

Marillac

« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2019, 05:24:19 PM »

Same thing was said of Jarvis.

« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2019, 06:01:53 PM »
Yea, but at least I didn't foresee Jarvis would be so foolish.  Inherited a pot of gold and decided the best approach after a few years was to be lazy, arrogant and insult the local HS and AAU community.  Jarvis could coach for sure though when he was on his game and motivated. 

« Reply #235 on: April 28, 2019, 12:23:10 AM »
Unlike his predecessor HC and AHC both CMA and TJ use twitter to communicate--what a change to have a coaches using social media

You didn't enjoy Mitch's instagram lol

SJUFAN

« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2019, 02:11:40 AM »
Same thing was said of Jarvis.

You have to admit CMA appears to bring elements that Jarvis lacked from a personality perspective that he should benefit from. Jarvis staff was terrible as well.

Marillac

« Reply #237 on: April 28, 2019, 02:13:52 AM »
Yea, but at least I didn't foresee Jarvis would be so foolish.  Inherited a pot of gold and decided the best approach after a few years was to be lazy, arrogant and insult the local HS and AAU community.  Jarvis could coach for sure though when he was on his game and motivated. 

Jarvis got no support from the school. Alumni Hall was a disgrace, we had no practice facility, and Jarvis was picking up recruits in a station wagon while other schools were rolling out the red carpet.

St. John’s has a mom and pop element deep within its belly that will ruin this one way or another. Whether it’s money or support or unqualified admins not staying in their own lane, something will happen.

« Reply #238 on: April 28, 2019, 02:43:28 PM »
Jarvis got no support from the school. Alumni Hall was a disgrace, we had no practice facility, and Jarvis was picking up recruits in a station wagon while other schools were rolling out the red carpet.

St. John’s has a mom and pop element deep within its belly that will ruin this one way or another. Whether it’s money or support or unqualified admins not staying in their own lane, something will happen.
Hey, that station wagon had new seat covers!

« Reply #239 on: April 28, 2019, 11:26:12 PM »
Looks like Phil Pressey will be on Mikes staff.