Mullin to step down? Hurley in?

• 361 replies
Re: Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2019, 09:05:30 PM »
It’s not like you’re playing a video game and you just pick up a guard in free agency. Can’t just pluck a guard.

This is what you're coming up with to keep conversation going?  You're either trolling your forum, as I mentioned a couple days ago or don't quite understand.  Dude, you must be a fool to think I'm not aware you can't just go out ala NBA free agency and grab a player. 

There was plenty of time for the staff to go out and grab an additional guard before that particular season.  A handful of posters knew well beforehand.  The staff failed to do so. 

Should have done a better job at keeping Mussini happy and convinced Ellison to ride it out. Think this goes to my point again that staff is no dialed into the day to day with players.

But I think you can agree we would have won more games if a healthy Lovett was on the floor. No way you can say we’re at 0 difference.

I never said it would be zero difference.  I just do not think it would've exactly parlayed into receiving a bid into the NCAA Tournament.  We'll agree to disagree. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 10:16:51 PM by mjdinkins »

TONYD3

« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2019, 09:32:49 PM »
Well considering no coach in the country is allowed to recruit right now might be a reason.
Don’t know the entire rules. I imagine schools can be in contact with recruits. Even if it’s just a text message. Am I wrong?

« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2019, 10:30:48 PM »
This is what you're coming up with to keep conversation going?  You're either trolling your forum, as I mentioned a couple days ago or don't quite understand.  Dude, you must be a fool to think I'm not aware you can't just go out ala NBA free agency and grab a player. 

There was plenty of time for the staff to go out and grab an additional guard before that particular season.  A handful of posters knew well beforehand.  The staff failed to do so. 

I never said it would be zero difference.  I just do not think it would've exactly parlayed into receiving a bid into the NCAA Tournament.  We'll agree to disagree. 

100% they knew they were thin there. My point is who are they grabbing?

It's not like there is an endless flowing stream of players. It's not as simple as we need a guard so therefore staff should just get one.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2019, 10:33:47 PM »
100% they knew they were thin there. My point is who are they grabbing?

It's not like there is an endless flowing stream of players. It's not as simple as we need a guard so therefore staff should just get one.

Keep telling yourself that.  We'll again agree to disagree. 

« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2019, 10:34:29 PM »
Don’t know the entire rules. I imagine schools can be in contact with recruits. Even if it’s just a text message. Am I wrong?

It's a dead period. So no visits on in person contact. Texting is fine.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/eligibility/recruiting/calendars/2018-19DIMBB_RecruitingCalendar.pdf

« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2019, 10:36:37 PM »
Keep telling yourself that.  We'll again agree to disagree. 

So who should the staff have pursued? Who was a realistic target?

The team wound up with Mikey Dixon.

« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2019, 10:38:40 PM »
So who should the staff have pursued? Who was a realistic target?

The team wound up with Mikey Dixon.

Dude, move along.  I disagree, and have no interest in continuing this with you. 

« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2019, 10:50:46 PM »
Dude, move along.  I disagree, and have no interest in continuing this with you. 

Well the point of the forum is to have discussion and debate. I acknowledge you disagree with a healthy Lovett would potentially put St. John's in the dance a year ago.

You've stated the staff should have had another guard on the roster. My rebuttal was it's not as simple as you need a guard, so get one.

I'm asking you what should the solution have been? Was there a target not pursued? Should the staff have signed a subpar top 250 talent?

If you can't continue the conversation because you're unsure or don't know, cool. If you don't want to because you simply don't want, cool too.

Just would be nice if you could support your claims with some sort of facts. These conversations are fun not combative.

« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2019, 10:54:54 PM »
Well the point of the forum is to have discussion and debate. I acknowledge you disagree with a healthy Lovett would potentially put St. John's in the dance a year ago.

You've stated the staff should have had another guard on the roster. My rebuttal was it's not as simple as you need a guard, so get one.

I'm asking you what should the solution have been? Was there a target not pursued? Should the staff have signed a subpar top 250 talent?

If you can't continue the conversation because you're unsure or don't know, cool. If you don't want to because you simply don't want, cool too.

Just would be nice if you could support your claims with some sort of facts. These conversations are fun not combative.

You haven't supported anything either.  I just don't feel like going down this road with you, as I know better and I know the staff could've done better whilst being shorthanded in the backcourt that particular season.

I've respectfully stated on more than one occasion that we'll agree to disagree, but it seems you're not respecting me.  So, I can become combative when one isn't being respectful.  I've already relayed my position, and you've done the same on your end.  I don't agree with yours and you don't agree with mine.  I don't feel like giving names, as that's my prerogative.  Any other dialogue on this is ineffective.  Press on, dude.  I hope that clears things up for you.     
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:01:47 PM by mjdinkins »

desco80

« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2019, 10:55:00 PM »
I still don't think it would've lead to us dancing.  I recall LoVett's last few games where he was barely distributing the ball.  He was too busy shot hunting (put up some poor numbers in his last couple games or so).  I'm not sure that would've been his way of going about business the rest of the season, but we'll never know. 

So, we'll agree to disagree. 

I agree that we probably dont make the tournament even with Lovett.   But my reasoning is probably different,  Shamorie didnt mesh well with either Lovett or unfortunately Heron.  For whatever reason the offense hasnt been very efficient when he has another primary option on the floor.

Dave, are you still hearing that Hurley is in?   My uninformed opinion is that Cragg's statement just clarifies that the university isnt firing him.   That way any exit negotiations start with something less than the 4mil Mullin would be owed otherwise. 

wpc77

« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2019, 10:55:30 PM »

Appreciate you furthering this Dave.  This forum is a gift so thanks for keeping it going.

On the question at hand, yes in my view they should have recruited a solid JUCO guard to step in right away (not sit) as a backup that year.  Easier said than done and this is hindsight, but it would have been ideal. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 10:55:47 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2019, 11:35:19 PM »
We know one that is in Lincoln right now, regardless of restrictions.  Hell he was doing it for his current employer while being paid by us.

Well considering no coach in the country is allowed to recruit right now might be a reason.

« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2019, 11:44:07 PM »
Appreciate you furthering this Dave.  This forum is a gift so thanks for keeping it going.

On the question at hand, yes in my view they should have recruited a solid JUCO guard to step in right away (not sit) as a backup that year.  Easier said than done and this is hindsight, but it would have been ideal. 

Fair point. We could have used a body.

« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2019, 11:45:41 PM »
I agree that we probably dont make the tournament even with Lovett.   But my reasoning is probably different,  Shamorie didnt mesh well with either Lovett or unfortunately Heron.  For whatever reason the offense hasnt been very efficient when he has another primary option on the floor.

Dave, are you still hearing that Hurley is in?   My uninformed opinion is that Cragg's statement just clarifies that the university isnt firing him.   That way any exit negotiations start with something less than the 4mil Mullin would be owed otherwise. 

Haven't heard anything further. The Final Four stuff always dies down when the games tip.

SJUFAN

« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2019, 12:03:58 AM »
Fair point. We could have used a body.

Why aren’t we landing any HS kids Dave?

TONYD3

« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2019, 09:53:22 AM »
It's a dead period. So no visits on in person contact. Texting is fine.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/eligibility/recruiting/calendars/2018-19DIMBB_RecruitingCalendar.pdf
Do you think that our lazy coach (who steals 2 million a year) is doing everything he can within the rules in getting us a PG?
Text messages. Phone calls. Watching tape. Basically doing his job.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2019, 10:15:20 AM »
If somebody donated the equivalent of Mullin’s contract and said to the AD, do whatever you think is best for the program, what do you think the AD would do?

Do people think the AD is really dedicated with making Mullin successful here, or his hands are just tied because of money?
Cougar O' Malley

Poison

« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2019, 03:35:19 PM »
If somebody donated the equivalent of Mullin’s contract and said to the AD, do whatever you think is best for the program, what do you think the AD would do?

Do people think the AD is really dedicated with making Mullin successful here, or his hands are just tied because of money?

I find it hard to believe that Cragg believes in Mullin because he came from a great program. He understands what is involved in building it the right way.

And because he’s got eyes.

TONYD3

« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2019, 05:24:16 PM »
I find it hard to believe that Cragg believes in Mullin because he came from a great program. He understands what is involved in building it the right way.

And because he’s got eyes.
Hard to believe. You know better. Only people who believe in that fraud are alumni who post here.

redslope

« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2019, 08:16:06 PM »
I have finally gotten fed up with Chris--the fact that he is not at the final four week end is an insult.  Greg St. Jean is there along with some of the GA's and the AD who were supporting Marv in the 3 on 3 tournament.  The fact that the Chris and Mitch were not there is Unacceptable.  Heck what better place to meet potential assistants.  If he can't be there then he don't care!