Mullin to step down? Hurley in?

• 361 replies

Re: Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2019, 01:28:49 PM »
Seems this may have been a move by Cragg to put out a statement to let the fans know there have been some form of engagement.  But this one may not be over.

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2019, 01:34:33 PM »
Seems this may have been a move by Cragg to put out a statement to let the fans know there have been some form of engagement.  But this one may not be over.

Exactly. Whether it’s BS or the truth it’s the right move.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Dan

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2019, 01:34:44 PM »

that and perhaps to do some damage control with recruits that have given their verbal.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2019, 01:39:14 PM »
Chris Hogan (A Dave Ramsey disciple) ha said that a
Chance is 50-50, an opportunity will lead you somewhere.

The President with one of his first big opportunities  took a chance on Mullin, and as of right now lost.

He hired what looks like to be the right AD now, but he’s new and in a complete clusterbuck.

-If I am Mullin why would I resign and leave $4mill on the table, when I have shown improvement, was one hatchet ref call from being in third place, and I don’t think I’m doing that bad of a job to look like I’m quitting on something...That’s not him.

If I am Cragg, the school is already paying one asst to not coach, and now just throw another at least 4mill at a head coach,  plus buy out all of his asst. that’s a lot of money to flush at once.

Hopefully maybe, new assistants could be brought in and at least keep this ship afloat of not moving in the right direction. If I am an assistant, due I trust Mullin’s process or that he will be here in the long term?

Cragg can control fundraising and improving facilities, and privacy will have to be patient with his own coaching hire.

This is a lesson is a hard lesson of making sure that you have the right leadership (who are experts in their field) in place before making a big decision....Maybe, finally, SJU will learn this damn lesson and stop taking chances.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2019, 01:39:20 PM »
Exactly. Whether it’s BS or the truth it’s the right move.

Agree.

that and perhaps to do some damage control with recruits that have given their verbal.

That's possible (Tabor is a 2020 verbal) as well.  This could heat up again after Monday's championship game.   

SJUFAN

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2019, 02:04:10 PM »

It’s not a personal attack. I posed the possibility, it may or may not be true. But if he loves this school so much and they are asking him to leave but he won’t unless they pay him then it sounds like a money issue that’s not love for the program. He doesn’t love the program enough to get his ass out on the recruiting trail. I remember that daily news back page with Louie saying “get good players”. I was so excited when we brought Mullin in, it’s clear it’s not working. You have to look past the record.

wpc77

« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2019, 02:05:47 PM »
FWIW, he's in Manhasset today

SJUFAN

« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2019, 02:07:39 PM »
https://nypost.com/2019/04/06/st-johns-puts-an-end-to-the-chris-mullin-rumors/

Cragg may have his hands tied with Mullin but he needs to make a change with his staff. Also money talks, if there isn’t news on a contract extension then the writing is on the wall.

« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2019, 02:12:15 PM »
I know there were a lot of influential alumni who wanted Lavin out and Mullin in. I'm curious if they are same folk campaigning for Mullin to leave now. Those aren't really my worlds.

I'm really hoping we either stand 100% by Mullin and help put support around him needed to succeed. I really like Mullin and I'm fortunate to have gotten to know him over the years and sit with him while recruiting. He's knowledgable and kids like him A LOT. I do think the day to day stuff on campus is an area to improve on and need coaches to have better pulse on ins and outs. I don't have direct knowledge of this but I can't see Mitch, St. Jean or Matt doing that. I think that area has been a little laissez faire which makes sense with pro backgrounds except these kids aren't pros. I also think that shows up on gameday when kids look disjointed, tired, and flat out unprepared. We need the "Dunlap Bat" mentality and cohesiveness.

OR

Go into another direction and really stay committed to creating culture in the program and hand pick who's going to lead that charge.

I'd prefer the former than the latter. I think it's a bad message for the school to part ways with Lavin and Mullin after they both elevated the program which has been dreadful and behind the times. Who's going to want to take a subpar paid job, in a tough conference, with underwhelming facilities, and an administration that changes like the tide.

Another note- Jay Wright made the NIT his first 3 seasons at Villanova. Sometimes these things take a bit to form. We got a good nucleus
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2019, 02:16:29 PM »
What a way to ruin a Saturday, here I was getting my hopes up but practically speaking you guys have made good points as to why its not done with the money etc. Unless Heron just tears it up next year and team is back in thick of it, Mullin will be gone after next season. He has no recruiters, he has no assistant but he does have a stronger conference with lack of depth. This is a 500 team at best next year.....

« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2019, 02:39:03 PM »
I know there were a lot of influential alumni who wanted Lavin out and Mullin in. I'm curious if they are same folk campaigning for Mullin to leave now. Those aren't really my worlds.

I'm really hoping we either stand 100% by Mullin and help put support around him needed to succeed. I really like Mullin and I'm fortunate to have gotten to know him over the years and sit with him while recruiting. He's knowledgable and kids like him A LOT. I do think the day to day stuff on campus is an area to improve on and need coaches to have better pulse on ins and outs. I don't have direct knowledge of this but I can't see Mitch, St. Jean or Matt doing that. I think that area has been a little laissez faire which makes sense with pro backgrounds except these kids aren't pros. I also think that shows up on gameday when kids look disjointed, tired, and flat out unprepared. We need the "Dunlap Bat" mentality and cohesiveness.

OR

Go into another direction and really stay committed to creating culture in the program and hand pick who's going to lead that charge.

I'd prefer the former than the latter. I think it's a bad message for the school to part ways with Lavin and Mullin after they both elevated the program which has been dreadful and behind the times. Who's going to want to take a subpar paid job, in a tough conference, with underwhelming facilities, and an administration that changes like the tide.

Another note- Jay Wright made the NIT his first 3 seasons at Villanova. Sometimes these things take a bit to form. We got a good nucleus

No offense, Dave, but I've seen this one used many times in Mullin's first four years re: Jay Wright.  Wright knew he had to win (meaning go "dancing") in his fourth season, as his seat was getting hot.  He turned in a 24-8 (11-5 in the Big East) season and a Sweet 16 appearance.  They was a bucket away from beating eventual champion UNC.  It's a lazy comparison when you really look at things objectively.  Mullin wasn't even close to any NIT appearances during his first three seasons, and was on the brink of going this season.   

For one, Jay Wright had brought in a good class in his second year with Randy Foye, Allan Ray, Curtis Sumpter and Jason Fraser.  Then he added, Mike Nardi and Kyle Lowry in back-to-back classes.  We're not recruiting on that level, IMO.  Not to mention, Mullin doesn't bother to recruit or coach!  It's all about the smell test, and IMO Mullin doesn't pass it. 

If you believe no one is gonna come here under your mentioned circumstances, then just fold up shop and move to a lower conference.  Now, I'm in NO WAY advocating that's what should be done, but by mentioning our facilities and (tough) conference affiliation is the convenient excuse.  Basically, our administration has sucked when it comes to evaluating coaches.  It's really that simple.

This conference was set up perfectly, IMO, for St. John's to make an ascension but we can't get out of our own way.  What good nucleus you speak of?  I love for the fact Earlington and Roberts took a chance on St. John's, but I'm not yet sold on either one.  I think Williams is likely further along, so I expect him to potentially contribute more next season.  The only personnel I'm sold on is Figueroa and Heron (occasionally, Simon).  We won't know much about the newcomers and how they'll mesh (although, I was told Manual is somewhat raw) with the leftovers.  You still have to wonder who'll coach 'em?  Which leads me into this....

Simply bringing in an assistant coach isn't exactly gonna change our prospects, unless this new assistant can coach his ass off and recruit.  I believe our problems lie deeper than simply bringing in an assistant.  I doubt you'll be able to bring in a coach of that particular stature when he knows he could be axed after a season or two.  A coach of that stature will probably stay away from this job knowing Mullin is a lame duck. 

The only way I see this working out is if Mullin resigns or let go or we bring in three new assistant coaches who has an idea about coaching and recruiting.  That's it!  Otherwise, I'm sticking to my guns that this will not end well. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 02:56:57 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2019, 02:52:10 PM »
I'm not buying the statement. It was done to calm the waters...not like Cragg can say "yes I'm searching for a coach" while Mullin is employed. There are those that are changing their tune and think Mullin is one n done. Problem is none of these asst coaches want to come for 1 year. I still think that statement is a smoke screen and we just have to wait to see what happens over the next few days

« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2019, 02:58:13 PM »
I'm not buying the statement. It was done to calm the waters...not like Cragg can say "yes I'm searching for a coach" while Mullin is employed. There are those that are changing their tune and think Mullin is one n done. Problem is none of these asst coaches want to come for 1 year. I still think that statement is a smoke screen and we just have to wait to see what happens over the next few days

I also sense this may have been a tactical move by Cragg to calm waters.  As, I stated earlier, this may not be over yet.

« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2019, 03:07:04 PM »
Wow...genuinely surprised that this is your take Dave.

Mullin being liked by kids doesn't really matter if he's proven he can't utilize their skill sets. Nor does it matter when he's blatantly not involved in huddles and game planning. You say he's knowledgable, I don't think anyone can or would dispute that, but his knowledge doesn't seem to be translating to his players and therefore not translating to success / wins.

Your second point - of Cragg hand picking a new team to recreate the culture is obviously what is needed. You say it would look bad for someone else to see Lavin and Mullin let go after tournament appearances. This tournament appearance this year doesn't even feel like we made it. Last team in, and then embarrassed in the game. Mullin flat out saying his team needs a break before selection sunday and not wanting to lobby for the program.

A change in leadership happened with Cragg. Now it's time for him to prove he's the man for the job and make this a winning program. It starts with a new coaching staff.

I'm really hoping we either stand 100% by Mullin and help put support around him needed to succeed. I really like Mullin and I'm fortunate to have gotten to know him over the years and sit with him while recruiting. He's knowledgable and kids like him A LOT. I do think the day to day stuff on campus is an area to improve on and need coaches to have better pulse on ins and outs. I don't have direct knowledge of this but I can't see Mitch, St. Jean or Matt doing that. I think that area has been a little laissez faire which makes sense with pro backgrounds except these kids aren't pros. I also think that shows up on game day when kids look disjointed, tired, and flat out unprepared. We need the "Dunlap Bat" mentality and cohesiveness.

OR

SJUFAN

« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2019, 03:55:37 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelzman/2019/04/06/st-johns-re-affirms-its-commitment-to-coach-chris-mullin/#52ed9ceb2229

Cragg’s statement is written is the present tense. He’s only stating the obvious. Mullin is currently the coach. They can’t formally look for a replacement until Mullin is not the coach. Think there remains a chance they could still part ways.

« Reply #98 on: April 06, 2019, 04:21:21 PM »
Roger Rubin - This is just one opinion: the St. John's statement today regarding Chris Mullin raises more questions than it answers. Wouldn't including Mullin's voice have ended all this chatter?

« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »
Folks who think Cragg is failing here by simply not canning Mullin aren't seeing the forest through the trees.  Besides the icon status, we made the dance for the first time in 4 years, we've generated significant buzz and attention (some good, during the season), increased ticket sales, donations and revenue.  That puts Cragg in a tough spot.  The only options he has are to (a) gently nudge Mullin towards the possibility of stepping down in the best interest of the program, because of family/personal issues or other issues or (b) mandate significant changes to the staff.  If Chris is too stubborn or loyal to recognize (b), that's on him.  I'm fine with Mullin returning if at least two valuable experienced assistants are brought into the framework.  Both who can coach basketball, recruit (with one leaning heavier in that direction), and address all the day-to-day stuff there is running a high major college program.  And staff that don't have "me first" agendas, are going to cause internal strife or have "one foot" out the door half the time such that they start recruiting our own players and commits towards the next stop (such as what a certain former assistant who "bleeds" SJU undoubtedly did on SJU's dime with Cam Mack).

OR