West Virginia Game Discussion

• 286 replies
Re: West Virginia Game Discussion
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 11:36:41 PM »
Just saw last night's attendance was the lowest since 2008.

2845 announced means there must have been about 1000 people total there.

What the hell is going on?  Why does nobody want to see the team this season when less than one year ago attendance was spectacularly good?

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2019, 03:01:57 AM »
Well a big part of the reason is because season ticket sales increased a lot and they added that you have to make a donation to the school as well. After a year like last year and not that high expectations this year, I'm sure that a lot of people did not renew.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:02:33 AM by Aknel79 »

Poison

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 08:02:50 AM »
Well a big part of the reason is because season ticket sales increased a lot and they added that you have to make a donation to the school as well. After a year like last year and not that high expectations this year, I'm sure that a lot of people did not renew.

Prices have to go up because salaries in that department have to go up. Expenses have gone up. Has nothing to do with the team, or we’d still be paying 1992 prices.

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 08:24:32 AM »
Prices have to go up because salaries in that department have to go up. Expenses have gone up. Has nothing to do with the team, or we’d still be paying 1992 prices.
Mullin and the MOST TALENTED team in the big east was great for ticket sales. If we won the big east last year it may have carried over. We didn’t win, the hero was shit canned, ponds and Simon left, preseason 9 in conference, tickets are waaaaaay to expensive, CA sucks, and most importantly no one wants to sit in traffic on a cold night  to watch St. Peter’s on a weeknight. I took off Tuesday from work and I didn’t go.
The Schedule is going to have to get better. And the team is going to have to get better for more people to go. We are certainly missing some mullin fans but we are trying to build a basketball program not a circus act.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 08:26:48 AM »
Mullin and the MOST TALENTED team in the big east was great for ticket sales. If we won the big east last year it may have carried over. We didn’t win, the hero was shit canned, ponds and Simon left, preseason 9 in conference, tickets are waaaaaay to expensive, CA sucks, and most importantly no one wants to sit in traffic on a cold night  to watch St. Peter’s on a weeknight. I took off Tuesday from work and I didn’t go.
The Schedule is going to have to get better. And the team is going to have to get better for more people to go. We are certainly missing some mullin fans but we are trying to build a basketball program not a circus act.

The Mullin fans who didn’t renew are probably the same people who hated the Yankees for firing Yogi Berra.

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 08:52:57 AM »

Of course inflation is real but ticket sales shouldn't be a huge revenue driver.

Having larger attendance numbers is way more valuable than $5-10 extra per ticket. Why? Sponsorships

You should be able to command larger sponsorship dollars that would be way more than what you'd net at the gate.

The goal should be packed house every game and create atmosphere that fans and brands want to be a part of.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

HKD

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 08:56:18 AM »
First St. Johns game for me in years Saturday.  Moving back to area, so looking forward to it.  As someone who grew up going to ECAC Holiday Festival, I laughed they are calling this "Holiday Festival".

Really want to see how this team handles the WVU pressure.  WVU plays a very unique style which can get ugly and physical at times, but will provide a good test.

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »

You're 100% correct Tony.

The scheduling to a degree will still have some St. Peter's to Vermont games but they need to get inventive on ways to encourage local Queens community to come to games. Youth organizations, local business owners, Freshman/JV teams, and give aways.

Of course the team also has to be good.

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 11:31:31 AM »
the hero was shit canned
Perhaps we shouldn't have "shit canned" the hero if now nobody is going to go to the games?

Perhaps we shouldn't have "shit canned" Hollywood to bring in the hero?

Three years hence, perhaps we shouldn't have "shit canned" Cfc to bring in Hurley on the coattails of his recruiting violation scandal.

We'ld be lucky to draw 4k against WV, right?

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 11:53:21 AM »
Perhaps we shouldn't have "shit canned" the hero if now nobody is going to go to the games?

Perhaps we shouldn't have "shit canned" Hollywood to bring in the hero?

Three years hence, perhaps we shouldn't have "shit canned" Cfc to bring in Hurley on the coattails of his recruiting violation scandal.

We'ld be lucky to draw 4k against WV, right?

You're not wrong Carmine. It's been errors on top of errors. This has nothing to do with Mike Anderson and more with decisions of administration.

I think there will be a good crowd tomorrow but a lot of yellow.

TONYD3

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2019, 12:39:32 PM »
You're not wrong Carmine. It's been errors on top of errors. This has nothing to do with Mike Anderson and more with decisions of administration.

I think there will be a good crowd tomorrow but a lot of yellow.
I don’t think their will be a good crowd Saturday, I think it will be ok with a lot of yellow.
I am all for playing games at the garden. But some are going to be empty. Without looking at the schedule DePaul will be empty. And their will be a few others. If and when the team gets better fans will come. But it’s going to take some time. When the old big east ended we lost plenty of attendance. 
Carmine is partially right. Plenty of fans miss mullin. But how long would that have lasted? If you think mullin would have had a good season this year or next, I am done debating, but It’s just not true. What fans are going to keep coming back for a last place team?

Next year we add a home game with UCONN and we need to add another big time home game or 2. Season tickets needs to be improved.
The team needs to be good. And we need to play a better schedule. People will (might) pay for big time basketball.
In Lavin’s first season, (from memory) Georgetown was the first game and it was a week night. That game wasn’t close to being full. By the time we go to PITT the garden was sold out.
Lavin year 3-4 the the garden was less then half full. Marquette, creighton, and butler couldnt sell any tickets. 6/7 years ago seton hall wasn’t even worthy of a garden game.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2019, 01:58:13 PM »
Are the tickets for students free now? Is it just for the two sections behind the basket? More students should be attending the games at CA.

Student involvement needs to be improved on in general. There’s a lot of good things happening with the other programs as well.

This has always been a problem, but has the administration ever really addressed it.
Cougar O' Malley

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2019, 05:17:11 PM »

You think salaries have gone up that much in a year? C’mon.

This was simply another miscalculation by our weak-chinned AD.

He didn’t understand the draw Mullin was. That doesn’t mean he was good — for the nice persons that can’t handle anything positive written about the man — it’s just common sense. He brought in the old men that were regulars in the 70s and 80s. Those guys returned in droves with their sons and grandchildren. I know countless people who liked St. John’s as their second or third team that went to multiple St. John’games with their dads the last two years.

This is a family program and Mullin connected the great times with the modern team. There is an ugly 20 year desert in the middle.

TONYD3

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2019, 05:54:02 PM »

He didn’t understand the draw Mullin was. That doesn’t mean he was good — for the nice persons that can’t handle anything positive written about the man — it’s just common sense. He brought in the old men that were regulars in the 70s and 80s. Those guys returned in droves with their sons and grandchildren. I know countless people who liked St. John’s as their second or third team that went to multiple St. John’games with their dads the last two years.

This is a family program and Mullin connected the great times with the modern team. There is an ugly 20 year desert in the middle.

Weak chinned AD? Your right the AD made a mistake. He looked at other teams ticket prices and basically copied them. Creighton charges plenty plus a donation as do many of the big east schools for good seats. NYC isn’t Nebraska, but people would come out for dollar beers.
This is a basketball team not a freak show. Plenty of people came to watch mullin. Plenty of of people also grew tired of his act. He could have actually tried. I am not sure how many games you went to last year but the consensus from the fans in my section was  “stop crying Chris, coach your team”
 This is my school and my team. I want to win now. I want a coach who will try. I absolutely can’t handle anything positive written about Him because it’s not true. He said he would go to every gym in the city, did he ever go to one gym? Hiring and keeping Mitch wasn’t loyalty it was stupidity. As a fan I took it “fxck you! I am hero I can do whatever I want”
In the last 20 years plenty of people came here tried and actually succeeded at their jobs.
Your boy was a fraud. And that’s why he doesn’t have a job. 10 million for 20 wins. Twice as many players quit then graduated. Last place 50 percent of the time.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2019, 06:22:17 PM »

Often you respond to points that I didn’t make.

That’s ok, I’ll try again.

I said that salaries have to go up, and expenses have to go up.

I did not say that they went up this past year.

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2019, 09:45:44 PM »
I don’t think we’re off to a bad start. We have two local recruits for next season, and we may already have the biggest sleeper in the city.

Champagnie is as good as any freshman we’ve had since the Jarvis years.
Harkless

Poison

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2019, 11:20:30 PM »
Harkless

Yeah, forgot about him. But, first 9 games, Harkless wasn’t much better than Champagnie. Moe certainly took some lumps early on as a freshman. I was at the Northeastern game.

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2019, 11:45:11 PM »
Plenty of of people also grew tired of his act. 
If plenty of people grew tired of his act, why did they continue to come out IN DROVES to watch his teams play up to and including his last ever BE tournament game?  Now I can hear crickets at the games.

My guess is your projecting your own warped, distorted anti-Mullin believes on to the masses when in fact it's a view shared by you and maybe 2 other disloyal others that frequent this board.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 11:49:43 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2019, 12:47:20 AM »
Weak chinned AD? 

Have you seen a photo of the guy?  Weak-chinned is a charitable description.  He's a lightweight decision-maker as well. He just tries to emulate what his superiors did at Duke.  We aren't Duke.  Raising ticket prices when there is no energy or expectation for the team is a ridiculous blunder.

Mullin was somewhere between okay and just short of okay.  His lack of experience made it likely that he would get better over time.  He already showed signs of learning from some mistakes.  He was not horrible  by any reasonable measure.  Your act is exhausting and old. Grow up. We all want to win, but you need to be somewhat reasonable.

I have no enthusiasm for the program this year. Zero.  As a coach, I think Anderson was a terrific hire.  However, his lack of roots in the area and the sheer amount of pressure and b.s. he will be subjected to make me think he's gone within two years.

As multiple Arkansas/Missouri fans have told us, Anderson needs superior athletic talent to win. He's not the type of coach that will win games as a tactician.  That should be obvious to everyone at this point.  To be fair to him, though, we have the worst PG situation in the Big East.  It's hard to win games with just one decent PG let alone none.  I had high expectations for McGriff and even higher for Posh next year.

Marillac

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2019, 12:51:47 AM »
Often you respond to points that I didn’t make.

That’s ok, I’ll try again.

I said that salaries have to go up, and expenses have to go up.

I did not say that they went up this past year.

If you weren't referring to the raise in prices from last year to this year, how does your statement have any relevance in the conversation?  Obviously prices have to raise over time, but making that jump from March to October in the same calendar year when anyone with half a brain could see that we'd have an inferior product is a clear mistake.  An extremely ugly one at that. Why not wait until next season when we have two PGs, a roster more suited to Anderson's style, soph versions of Champagnie and Steere, a junior Roberts, and hopefully a senior Figgy?