Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies

MCNPA

Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #460 on: August 11, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »
This class is going to be SO fun to watch.

If Jakkar can attack the basket like that in the half court, holy crap.  That would be a dribbl-drive offense to make Calipari drool.  We'd have four guys on the floor that could attack the rim off the bounces with some room.  That's a Lavin offense right there.

People are sleeping on us in the Big East.  Bad idea.  We're going to be nasty down to our 12th player...

Marillac

« Reply #461 on: August 11, 2011, 05:35:59 PM »

If Jakkar can attack the basket like that in the half court, holy crap.  That would be a dribbl-drive offense to make Calipari drool.  We'd have four guys on the floor that could attack the rim off the bounces with some room.  That's a Lavin offense right there.

People are sleeping on us in the Big East.  Bad idea.  We're going to be nasty down to our 12th player...

I think I may have short-changed Sampson myself. 

crgreen

« Reply #462 on: August 11, 2011, 05:38:55 PM »

With the 9 newbies and Stith, who are our 11th and 12th "Nasties"?

MCNPA

« Reply #463 on: August 11, 2011, 05:43:28 PM »

With the 9 newbies and Stith, who are our 11th and 12th "Nasties"?

down to our 10th... ;)

MCNPA

« Reply #464 on: August 11, 2011, 05:45:15 PM »

I love the way Jakarr puts it on the floor on the baseline and attacks the hoop.  He'll have an open lane down there a lot, and difficult to stop.

And FWIW, I love how we're only running 10 this year.  It allows us to really develop our core of players and have enough PT to keep everybody happy.  It sets things up well moving forward.  If we did have 11-13, we might have some highly ranked guys not getting much time.  Right now we have enough to field two lineups without injuries.  Everybody will get plenty of run and time to compete. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 06:16:46 PM by MCNPA »

crgreen

« Reply #465 on: August 12, 2011, 05:42:47 AM »

I love the way Jakarr puts it on the floor on the baseline and attacks the hoop.  He'll have an open lane down there a lot, and difficult to stop.

And FWIW, I love how we're only running 10 this year.  It allows us to really develop our core of players and have enough PT to keep everybody happy.  It sets things up well moving forward.  If we did have 11-13, we might have some highly ranked guys not getting much time.  Right now we have enough to field two lineups without injuries.  Everybody will get plenty of run and time to compete.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded a "project" or two - a couple guys getting a couple years in practice against elite talent, ready to step up in 2014 or 2015.   Steve has experience winning National Championships with "projects" like George Zidek and Cameron Dollar...and deep tourney runs with guys like Rico Hines and Billy Knight.

MCNPA

« Reply #466 on: August 12, 2011, 05:45:17 AM »

Personally, I wouldn't have minded a "project" or two - a couple guys getting a couple years in practice against elite talent, ready to step up in 2014 or 2015.   Steve has experience winning National Championships with "projects" like George Zidek and Cameron Dollar...and deep tourney runs with guys like Rico Hines and Billy Knight.

I don't disagree.  I just think the nature of recruiting 9 kids didn't allow for it.  I think in the long run, Lavin probably will have one or two of those types of guys, but it'll happen when the classes even out a bit.

« Reply #467 on: August 12, 2011, 07:37:29 AM »

And FWIW, I love how we're only running 10 this year.  It allows us to really develop our core of players and have enough PT to keep everybody happy.  It sets things up well moving forward.  If we did have 11-13, we might have some highly ranked guys not getting much time. 

This here is important and wise.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #468 on: August 12, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »

And FWIW, I love how we're only running 10 this year.  It allows us to really develop our core of players and have enough PT to keep everybody happy.  It sets things up well moving forward.  If we did have 11-13, we might have some highly ranked guys not getting much time. 

Agreed and also a reason I think we will be set with 2012 class if Kyle commits. Until someone leaves or something is more clear in the spring that is.
Remember who broke the Slice news

derk

« Reply #469 on: August 12, 2011, 10:35:31 AM »

And will make for some hellacious practices. Hope we don't kill ourself in practice.

Gumby

« Reply #470 on: August 13, 2011, 01:11:45 PM »
If I am not mistaken, I think either Sunday or Monday may be the deadline for signing "first year" players.  So there should be a good deal of activity with teams signing HS and college players. Has there been any word from Amir on his intentions?

I still would like to see him pitch for the Red Storm over the next three years, especially with pitch counts for young arms being strictly enforced by so many MLB teams.

« Reply #471 on: August 13, 2011, 01:49:49 PM »
according to his twitter, garrett is now up to 212 pounds.  I think well see garrett at the four spot a lot more than some think
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #472 on: August 13, 2011, 01:55:26 PM »
according to his twitter, garrett is now up to 212 pounds.  I think well see garrett at the four spot a lot more than some think

Can't see that honestly. 

ras

« Reply #473 on: August 13, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »
I would love to see Sampson and Pelle hit the weight room with Amir, Those 2 need more muscle.

MCNPA

« Reply #474 on: August 13, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »

Can't see that honestly.

Agree, Garrett is a pure wing player.  No chance he's a 4. 

Moose

« Reply #475 on: August 13, 2011, 02:46:52 PM »
According to the honorable but very tough to please SJUHoopNut :2funny: Amir was at West 4th St today watching Moe play.

« Reply #476 on: August 13, 2011, 02:58:55 PM »

Can't see that honestly.

Garrett's got the body and defensive mentality to play the 4.  He'd be the third or fourth option but I wouldn't be surprised to see him log some time there depending on foul or injury situations.  If we want to play a quick, agressive pressing or trapping D he'd fit in perfectly at the 4.

Moose

« Reply #477 on: August 13, 2011, 03:15:16 PM »

Can't see that honestly.

Garrett's got the body and defensive mentality to play the 4.  He'd be the third or fourth option but I wouldn't be surprised to see him log some time there depending on foul or injury situations.  If we want to play a quick, agressive pressing or trapping D he'd fit in perfectly at the 4.

These are the guys I see playing 4 in order.

Pelle
Gift
Sampson
Harkless

« Reply #478 on: August 13, 2011, 03:41:21 PM »

Can't see that honestly.

Pelle
Gift
Sampson
Harkless

You think Harkless is better suited for the 4 than Garrett?  Didn't Amir play the 4 at Findlay?

Moose

« Reply #479 on: August 13, 2011, 03:52:55 PM »

Can't see that honestly.

Pelle
Gift
Sampson
Harkless

You think Harkless is better suited for the 4 than Garrett?  Didn't Amir play the 4 at Findlay?

At times yes he did.  He started mostly at "4" with Winston Sheppard at the 5.  But then they had big guys like Anthony Bennet and Landon Lucas coming off the bench.

It all depends on the matchup and who your playing but Harkless is taller, longer, and bigger in build than Amir. I think he's a little more refined in post move abilities also.