Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies
So you are serious about your assertion?

Yes, what I posted was word for word to my question "Is Obekpa eligible?"

Baldi I am going to hold you to this...LOL!

But I can tell you that from what I heard tonight I am not overly concerned about this.

So you agree?

I did not hear he was officially cleared, I did hear that no one from SJU or OSNA is concerned that he or Felix won't be cleared and that SJU is going on as if they will be or are.

So you are serious about your assertion?

Yes, what I posted was word for word to my question "Is Obekpa eligible?"

Baldi I am going to hold you to this...LOL!

But I can tell you that from what I heard tonight I am not overly concerned about this.

So you agree?

I did not hear he was officially cleared, I did hear that no one from SJU or OSNA is concerned that he or Felix won't be cleared and that SJU is going on as if they will be or are.

Yes sir. Lets hope its legit

Thanks Baldi sure hope you are right and if you are I'll give you a great big kiss! well maybe not but how about I hardy handshake? Sorry just going stir crazy because this is the worst time of the sports year. No football yet, no hockey and no basketball unless you count the summer leagues which are painful to watch and of course basebore. Actually like baseball but not as a mid-season stand alone sport. well at least the British Open is next week-my favorite tourney because of the unique conditions as compared to all the US courses. Very hilly, knee high rough, high winds and rain, and you get to hear some of the Americans bitch about it and par or slightly under can win. Also get to be frustrated by how my current fav golfer Phil Mikkleson plays. which reminds me of a joke I just heard-Man walks up to a women in a bar and asks her her name. She replies Carmen. He says that is a pretty name. she replies she gave it to herself by combining her two favorite things in life-cars and men. She then asks the man what is his name. He replies BJ T-tsengolf. Oh well time to go watch a movie. :)

SJU79

This should 100% be a non issue

well at least the British Open is next week-my favorite tourney because of the unique conditions as compared to all the US courses. Very hilly, knee high rough, high winds and rain,

Totally agree. I love watching it on tv.  I've been to the US Open before but I'd really love to watch that tourney in person sometime

desco80

well at least the British Open is next week-my favorite tourney because of the unique conditions as compared to all the US courses. Very hilly, knee high rough, high winds and rain,

Totally agree. I love watching it on tv.  I've been to the US Open before but I'd really love to watch that tourney in person sometime

Not to get too OT, but I completely agree.   My favorite tournament of the year, and would love to go sometime.    I think Tiger said this week that the British is his favorite major because the weather and links style courses make you play different shots.   American courses are played through the air because you can't "run" approach shots on to the green, and he thinks that takes away from the game, when every approach needs to be a 65-degree wedge shot, and you can't bump and run it.   

I completely agree with him.   Very fun to watch.   Plus the time difference, makes for great distractions at work on Thurs and Friday. 

Back on topic:  It's good to hear what Fordham's and Baldi's sources are saying.   I trust them both.   
Hopefully this does blow over and we can get back to arguing how high expectations should be, and whether Phil gets 22mpg or 31. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:38:42 PM by desco80 »

All eight newcomers will be eligible in the fall at St. John's, according to coach Steve Lavin. The Red Storm will have five returning players for a full load of 13. Lavin, who is cancer free and ready to resume coaching after taking most of last season off from the sideline, said he has signed 18 players in 28 months on the job. The Red Storm lost two players to transfers and one to the NBA draft and two players didn't qualify during Lavin's two years. In response to the 18 he has signed, Lavin said, "I believe I signed 20 or so kids in seven years as head coach at UCLA. It was seven years worth of recruiting in 28 months (at St. John's). It is so rewarding to walk into the weight room or gym and see 13 of our kids. It's hard to articulate." Lavin is convinced with 11 underclassmen he will have one of the youngest teams in the country and in St. John's history.
This is according from ESPN.

boo3

Thank you!

Moose

Thank you!

But wait.
Does this mean we can't panic anymore?
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

Thank you!

But wait.

We will find something else to worry about like;

"Saw Sanchez at Yankee game, seems to be only 5'11!"
"Phil Greene is now bench pressing a thousand pounds, but no longer wants to play BBall."
"Steve Lavin's wife has signed mega movie contract & moving to LA to live with Charlie Sheen!"
"Amir Garrett actually pitched scoreless inning & is not returning,"
"Baldi is leaving JJ to become the Dean of Academic Affairs at Iona, already rumored to be nailing every female employee under 70 in the Department!"

How would we exist as SJU fans without the rumor of the day?

crgreen

All eight newcomers will be eligible in the fall at St. John's, according to coach Steve Lavin. The Red Storm will have five returning players for a full load of 13. Lavin, who is cancer free and ready to resume coaching after taking most of last season off from the sideline, said he has signed 18 players in 28 months on the job. The Red Storm lost two players to transfers and one to the NBA draft and two players didn't qualify during Lavin's two years. In response to the 18 he has signed, Lavin said, "I believe I signed 20 or so kids in seven years as head coach at UCLA. It was seven years worth of recruiting in 28 months (at St. John's). It is so rewarding to walk into the weight room or gym and see 13 of our kids. It's hard to articulate." Lavin is convinced with 11 underclassmen he will have one of the youngest teams in the country and in St. John's history.
This is according from ESPN.

Hate to contradict Steve when he's on a PR roll,  but....1) Baron Davis, 2) Schea Cotton, 3) Earl Watson, 4) Billy Knight, 5) Trevor Reed, 6) Rico Hines, 7) Todd Ramasar, 8) Kevin Daley, 9) Dan Gadzuric, 10) Jerome Moiso, 11) Matt Barnes, 12) Ray Young, 13) JaRon Rush, 14) Jason Kapono, 15) Spencer Gloger, 16) TJ Cummings, 17) Ryan Walcott, 18) Josiah Johnson,  19) Jon Crispin, 20) Ced Bozeman, 21) Dijon Thompson, 22) Andre Patterson, 24) John Hoffart, 25) Jason Flowers, 26) Ryan Hollins, 27) Mike Fey, 28) Brian Morrison, 29) Evan Burns.   He also recruited/signed  30) Trevor Ariza, 31) Sean Phaler, tho was fired before he coached them....Oops, don't feel like renumbering the list, but I left out Moose Bailey in that first class - so 32 in 7 recruiting classes.     Four of the signed players never played for UCLA - Cotton, Gloger, Burns & Phaler, and 6 others were transfers - Bailey, Daley, Crispin, Hoffart, Flowers & Morrison.   But since for SJU he's counting Pelle (a recruit who never arrived) and Branch (a transfer) - they should all count in the UCLA totals.   A tad more than "20 or so"  ;)  That's 10 NBA players,  7 NBDL players, and 3 Harlem Globetrotters...

kjd01067

Appreciate the news. I was waiting to hear from you and or Dave on the subject. I'm glad everyone can relax

Thank you!

But wait.

We will find something else to worry about like;

"Saw Sanchez at Yankee game, seems to be only 5'11!"
"Phil Greene is now bench pressing a thousand pounds, but no longer wants to play BBall."
"Steve Lavin's wife has signed mega movie contract & moving to LA to live with Charlie Sheen!"
"Amir Garrett actually pitched scoreless inning & is not returning,"
"Baldi is leaving JJ to become the Dean of Academic Affairs at Iona, already rumored to be nailing every female employee under 70 in the Department!"
How would we exist as SJU fans without the rumor of the day?

Under 70? Never limit possibilities when it comes to Baldi.

Did OSNA send anyone to a D1 school last year?

Daoudo Soumaoro committed to Texas Tech but ended up at Iowa Wester JC.

Moose

Should be noted he just left Texas Tech on his own accord.  Nothing with regards to eligibility.

Should be noted he just left Texas Tech on his own accord.  Nothing with regards to eligibility.

I didn't know why so didn't editorialize but he also wasn't really that highly rated, I think Scout had him as a 2 star.  Likely realized he had some more game to learn before suiting up with the big boys.

Moose

I didn't know why so didn't editorialize but he also wasn't really that highly rated, I think Scout had him as a 2 star.  Likely realized he had some more game to learn before suiting up with the big boys.

Remember he officially visited STJ in April of his senior year.  Nobody was ever able to quite pin point why.  Was it backup plan to Pelle?  Was it favor to OSNA and Jevon at the time or Obekpa moving forward?  But yeah he landed at Tech practiced in the summer and left.  I remember reading their boards and ppl who saw him with the team said he was a level below.

ras

I just heard he is good to go, "everyone is cleared"
Good work Marco.

Remember he officially visited STJ in April of his senior year.  Nobody was ever able to quite pin point why.  Was it backup plan to Pelle?  Was it favor to OSNA and Jevon at the time or Obekpa moving forward?  But yeah he landed at Tech practiced in the summer and left.  I remember reading their boards and ppl who saw him with the team said he was a level below.

I totally forgot Jevon played one of his senior years there.

MCNPA

Very encouraging to hear the positive news from multiple sources.  Losing Obekpa and Balamou would be a real problem.   Really looking forward to watching the team play this season with depth and a real center.