Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies

Poison

Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1600 on: April 10, 2013, 10:17:44 AM »
It's my understanding that his mid-range and three point game leave a lot to be desired. Don't get me wrong, we need this kid. However, our glaring weaknesses are not resolved with this (potential) pick up.

Not to jump off topic too much but our glaring weaknesses were/are outside shooting, scoring, rebounding and depth.  Outside Shooting - Hooper; Scoring - Rysheed/Sanchez; Rebounding - Sanchez/Gift; Depth - Hooper, Sanchez, Gift & Rysheed

I would agree.  I also think our shooting woes are a product partly of our guards not penetrating.   Dangelo and Marco can hit shots if we had guards getting into the lane and kicking it out.   More than anything else it seems like Jordan can drive north to south.   Thats his best skil right now and thats huge in my opinion.   As Choz said during the NIT, our offense is all about that ball screen up top, but Greene, Branch, and Dangelo aren't maestros at turning the corner around the pick.   I think Jordan is the kindve expolsive guard who does.

Gets you kickouts to open shots, and dump offs underneath to your forwards and center.   

Maybe Dlo and Hooper can hit outside shots. Marco missed wide open threes. He needs a great deal of improvement just get in a game.

paultzman

« Reply #1601 on: April 10, 2013, 10:19:53 AM »
Can see Austin getting plenty of time at PC and contender for ROY;

Game One: A late-arriving Brandon Austin was exactly what Team Philly needed. The Providence-bound senior missed the vast majority of the first half and scored all of his 22 points after intermission to help Team Philly pull away in a 101-77 victory over Yellow Jackets.

Team Philly initially surged out to a 12-point first-half lead thanks to Neumann-Goretti junior Troy Harper, who hit four first-half 3-pointers. Harper would finish with a game-high 23 points, showing off his impressive athleticism with a put-back slam in the second half.

Austin made his first appearance with a minute left in the first half and got rolling as soon as the second period started, scoring the first eight points after Team Philly took just a two-point advantage into halftime. Team Philly opened the second half on a 21-2 run and never let Yellow Jackets within 16 from that point forward.

The Jackets were led by Wissahickson junior Chase Wilson with 22 points and eight rebounds. Hatboro-Horsham senior Zack Quattro finished with 16.

For Team Philly, Haverford School sophomore Sean Lloyd finished with 15 points, five rebounds and three blocks in a strong two-way performance, while Imhotep junior Basil Thompson had nine and 10 rebounds and Trayvond Massenberg had eight points and 12 boards. Vaux senior Rysheed Jordan had an off night, finishing with nine points of his own.

“@jmverlin: Minor @sheedjordan update in last night's #DonofrioClassic recap; plus notes on Pitman's Eric Stafford + more: http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2013/04/donofrio-classic-recap-april-9-2013/
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:20:22 AM by paultzman »

derk

« Reply #1602 on: April 10, 2013, 10:29:09 AM »
So that's Thursday as in "tomorrow" instead of April 15, Monday ? Hold on to your seatbelts folks.

« Reply #1603 on: April 10, 2013, 10:44:20 AM »
So that's Thursday as in "tomorrow" instead of April 15, Monday ? Hold on to your seatbelts folks.

And Truman defeated Dewey...LOL!!!

That was announced last week.

« Reply #1604 on: April 10, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »
Im not arrogant enough(that and im 0 for my last 2) enough to think Tierny and Zags both used me as their sources so im assuming they heard what I did which is last week he started telling family he had choosen SJU. Now from what I hear about this kid is, well to put it mildly he has a lot of "swagger" so could he be headfaking everybody for more attention? Sure but its unlikley....I have heard nothing other than SJU from three people this week.

Thanks SJU79.  I have hope but my gut is still saying temple. 

paultzman

« Reply #1605 on: April 10, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »
From the man himself;

“@DaveKrupinski: Multiple sources from Philly area have said all signs point to #stjbb for Rysheed Jordan. Huge coup for Steve Lavin and co.”

gman

« Reply #1606 on: April 10, 2013, 11:57:29 AM »
This has been one of the strangest recruiting battles for a top 25 players I can remember. Glad it is coming to an end with us on top

bk8664

« Reply #1607 on: April 10, 2013, 12:07:26 PM »
This has been one of the strangest recruiting battles for a top 25 players I can remember. Glad it is coming to an end with us on top

Why is it strange?  The young man took his time making a decision, weighing his options and waited it out.   He had to wait to see how the each of his choice teams' rosters and coaching staffs would shake out.  If the rumors are true that he is choosing us, we seem like a great fit for him:
    We have a very strong front-court and we need help in the back-court.  We have a stable coaching situation.  We play in the coolest city in the world, we are in a very good basketball conference and we are going to be front and center on a new sports channel that is broadcast to almost the entire country (Fox at 90mm subs, ESPN at 95mm I believe).     

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:20:54 PM by bk8664 »

MCNPA

« Reply #1608 on: April 10, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »
Recruitment isn't stranger than Obekpa's...or Jakarr's...or Gathers for that matter.  As long as we're in the positive end of things, I'm okay with it.  We've had plenty of strange recruitments before.  This one is run-of-the-mill in comparison methinks.

gman

« Reply #1609 on: April 10, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »
I just found his final 3 weird. Also found that he strung it out this long and never brought in new suitors weird. The kid screamed Florida or Kansas recruit to me. Just found it strange that more big guys weren't in the mix

« Reply #1610 on: April 10, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »
I just found his final 3 weird. Also found that he strung it out this long and never brought in new suitors weird. The kid screamed Florida or Kansas recruit to me. Just found it strange that more big guys weren't in the mix

Thank god you weren't one of his advisors ;)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #1611 on: April 10, 2013, 12:57:16 PM »

Well ucla was...  That's big.  Lots of these schools filled their needs with the guys they wanted.  I think it was a bit of luck as well.  His timeline wasnt bad if he really was undecided between the 3.  It used to be that many more player's waited for spring signing.  Just seems like an anomaly now because so many sign early.  Us SJU fans have had to wait out a few tough ones, so it makes it seem even more strange.

ras

« Reply #1612 on: April 10, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »
Im not arrogant enough(that and im 0 for my last 2) enough to think Tierny and Zags both used me as their sources so im assuming they heard what I did which is last week he started telling family he had choosen SJU. Now from what I hear about this kid is, well to put it mildly he has a lot of "swagger" so could he be headfaking everybody for more attention? Sure but its unlikley....I have heard nothing other than SJU from three people this week.
We appreciate your input.

wpc77

« Reply #1613 on: April 10, 2013, 01:09:59 PM »
any concerns about him qualifying?

« Reply #1614 on: April 10, 2013, 01:28:52 PM »
From the man himself;

“@DaveKrupinski: Multiple sources from Philly area have said all signs point to #stjbb for Rysheed Jordan. Huge coup for Steve Lavin and co.”
UCLA board in a tizzy about Alford possibly losing Rysheed to Lavin & St. J's. 

All i did was state that Lavin should never be underestimated, and it was enough for that little prick Nestor to delete it.  That dude has skin thinner than Joan Rivers.......

That being said, Rysheed knows where the lights shine brightest - in MSG!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:29:32 PM by bball purist »

paultzman

« Reply #1615 on: April 10, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
"Longtime New York recruiting expert Tom Konchalski saw Jordan play Wednesday night at the Donofrio Classic in Conshohocken, Pa.

“Rysheed Jordan is a tremendous athlete who had a great season this year,” Konchalski told SNY.tv. “Scored a ton of points for Vaux but yesterday he showed a disposition to share the ball and play within the team framework.

“He’s a great athlete. In the past sometimes he’s tried to make everything showtime. For Vaux he has to score a lot of points. He had 45 in the city final against Imhotep. He can really score. He’s not a great shooter, he’s a good shooter. He’s an explosive athlete going to the basket. He has great athletic ability and has a good skill set.

“He could be a major, major factor at St. John’s if he goes there. It would be a major acquisition for them.”

“@AdamZagoria: Jordan Could be ‘Major, Major’ Factor at St. John’s http://zagsblog.com/articles/jordan-could-be-major-major-factor-at-st-johns/

gman

« Reply #1616 on: April 10, 2013, 02:01:15 PM »
From the man himself;

All i did was state that Lavin should never be underestimated, and it was enough for that little prick Nestor to delete it.  That dude has skin thinner than Joan Rivers.......

They are delusional

« Reply #1617 on: April 10, 2013, 02:04:52 PM »
From the man himself;

Look at this website analysis.

I mean come one. I am not an Alford apologist but cut the guy some slack.

As I stated earlier he accepted the job Easter weekend.  He was was not formally introduced until Tuesday 4/2.  Meanwhile the recruiting calendar simply allowed him almost no time to recruit or perhaps visit with Jordan in addition to meeting with his current players and recruits and assembling a staff.

Exactly how in the hell was he going to develop a relationship with a kid with just 11 days and 8 of them Dead Period and the other 3 Quiet Period?

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2013/04/10/ucla-bruins-in-ironic-battle-with-st-johns-for-top-prospect-rysheed-jordan/

« Reply #1618 on: April 10, 2013, 02:06:25 PM »
It's my understanding that his mid-range and three point game leave a lot to be desired. Don't get me wrong, we need this kid. However, our glaring weaknesses are not resolved with this (potential) pick up.

Not true

« Reply #1619 on: April 10, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »
Rysheed can shoot. He's not a lights out shooter but he has enough of it to make you respect his shot and make some difficult long range shots. Elite ability to get to the rim and finish. Looks for the pass too and gets others involved. Only deficiencies imo is defensive awareness and rebounding. Both which can be minimized here with Obekpa, Jakarr, Sanchez, and GG protecting the rim and rebounding, plus if we play zone.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:34:30 PM by Save The Hero »