Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S

• 864 replies

Chilleb

Re: Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #500 on: June 22, 2012, 10:08:26 PM »
he's fast. nice agility for his height.

I'm ready to see some of his games where he gets more burn.  Not sure why he only played a few minutes in this one.

Pro City is four 12 minute quarters. So he played 40% of the game.  Its summer ball and the teams are pretty deep.  With a lot of older more experienced players as well.  40% of the game is fine IMO.

That team plays at Pro City all summer.  Its free and a great time.  I went last night and had an awesome time.  How many times can you go for free and see Kyrie Irving, Charlie V, Yadda Gaines, Burrell, Horne and then some old names that might ring a bell like Delroy James (URI), Vern Goodridge, Gary Ervin, Will Harris all in one game.  Plus Kiki Clark in the first game absolutely light it up like he was at St. Peter's all over again.  And Devin Ebanks.

In this game it looked like he only played for a few minutes.  I have to watch again, but thought he came in late.  Maybe I didn't watch the whole thing? 

That video I posted was the first quarter.  There are 3 more videos one for each quarter.  Didn't want to flood the thread with 4 big videos.

Sanchez has a lot of tools and fantastic speed for a guy 6'9".  He scored a bit, blocked shots but his quick passing as well as his vertical rebounding ability caught my eye.  He even made a 3.  He's no slouch, that is for sure.  With some college coaching he can really help us.  Liked what I saw though.  Not many PF's as fast as Orlando.
Def runs the court great, my thing was he looked more 6'7 than 6'9. Tyler Harris def had a inch and some change on him

Harris is legit 6'9 now, so 6'8 or so may be right. Funny you mentioned it, because  Harris tweeted today he is that height in socks.
That Puts me at ease, but wow he has his brother by 2 full inches if that's the case
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:09:13 PM by Chilleb »

paultzman

« Reply #501 on: June 22, 2012, 10:37:10 PM »
j
he's fast. nice agility for his height.

I'm ready to see some of his games where he gets more burn.  Not sure why he only played a few minutes in this one.

Pro City is four 12 minute quarters. So he played 40% of the game.  Its summer ball and the teams are pretty deep.  With a lot of older more experienced players as well.  40% of the game is fine IMO.

That team plays at Pro City all summer.  Its free and a great time.  I went last night and had an awesome time.  How many times can you go for free and see Kyrie Irving, Charlie V, Yadda Gaines, Burrell, Horne and then some old names that might ring a bell like Delroy James (URI), Vern Goodridge, Gary Ervin, Will Harris all in one game.  Plus Kiki Clark in the first game absolutely light it up like he was at St. Peter's all over again.  And Devin Ebanks.

In this game it looked like he only played for a few minutes.  I have to watch again, but thought he came in late.  Maybe I didn't watch the whole thing? 

That video I posted was the first quarter.  There are 3 more videos one for each quarter.  Didn't want to flood the thread with 4 big videos.

Sanchez has a lot of tools and fantastic speed for a guy 6'9".  He scored a bit, blocked shots but his quick passing as well as his vertical rebounding ability caught my eye.  He even made a 3.  He's no slouch, that is for sure.  With some college coaching he can really help us.  Liked what I saw though.  Not many PF's as fast as Orlando.
Def runs the court great, my thing was he looked more 6'7 than 6'9. Tyler Harris def had a inch and some change on him

Harris is legit 6'9 now, so 6'8 or so may be right. Funny you mentioned it, because  Harris tweeted today he is that height in socks.
That Puts me at ease, but wow he has his brother by 2 full inches if that's the case

Chille,

“@TylerHarris34: 6'9 with no shoes on I think I grow some more!”
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 02:21:40 PM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #502 on: June 23, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »
Tyler Harris a lot taller than before.  Orlando an inch or so shorter, but Harris probably at least 6'10 with shoes.  Orlando somewhere 6'8" to 6'9" I think.  Regardless, he runs circles around Tyler Harris.

Marillac

« Reply #503 on: June 25, 2012, 12:58:16 AM »
His foot speed for a big is really something.  He has an extra gear running in the full court.  I'd bet he is a pretty impressive track kid as well.  The two blocks I saw were on his man after they dribbled too long--he will get a lot more from the weak side in the zone.  Impressive tenacity on his box outs...explosive kid that can get low comfortably in the trenches and playing d away from the basket.Switched on d a bunch of times and shows exceptional recovery ability.  Hell have no problem rotating in the zone.  He is just made for what Dunlap wanted to do here.

crgreen

« Reply #504 on: June 25, 2012, 01:28:48 AM »
His foot speed for a big is really something.  He has an extra gear running in the full court.  I'd bet he is a pretty impressive track kid as well.  The two blocks I saw were on his man after they dribbled too long--he will get a lot more from the weak side in the zone.  Impressive tenacity on his box outs...explosive kid that can get low comfortably in the trenches and playing d away from the basket.Switched on d a bunch of times and shows exceptional recovery ability.  Hell have no problem rotating in the zone.  He is just made for what Dunlap wanted to do here.

Just so folks know, what Mike did here was pretty much what Steve did at UCLA (including designing the defense for the 1995 National Championship team).   Altho Bruin fans interpreted multiple defenses as a sign Lavin didn't know how to coach, and that he was too stupid to make up his mind on a singe defense :)   One of the reason's Mike was hired was because he's an expert on the defense Steve wanted to run.    I don't expect any kind of a major change in the defensive strategy, even with Mike gone. 

paultzman

« Reply #505 on: June 26, 2012, 09:00:32 PM »
q“@TheBBallDiary: Orlando sanchez have awesone passing skills for real.”

“@TheBBallDiary: Orlando sanchez just blocked scotty hopson. Came runing down with a fancy pass but mate couldnt hold sanchez pass”

At Nike Pro City tonite. Having seen Orlando a few times, I am really impressed by his passing ability. His well rounded all around game will be a real plus this year?

« Reply #506 on: June 26, 2012, 09:08:49 PM »
"@TheBBallDiary Ron artest making his nyc summer debut at nike pro city." It looks like St. John's is well represented over there. I wonder if Metta will give Orlando any pointers lol

paultzman

« Reply #507 on: June 26, 2012, 09:19:50 PM »
"@TheBBallDiary Ron artest making his nyc summer debut at nike pro city." It looks like St. John's is well represented over there. I wonder if Metta will give Orlando any pointers lol

Hopefully no suggestions about professional conduct and playing with composure. Lol

paultzman

« Reply #508 on: June 27, 2012, 11:03:41 AM »
Brief article on Orlando. He notes intensity of staff contact as a positive in his recruitment. In addition to Lav, we are very fortunate to have Coach Chiles!

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/more_sports/nike_pro_city_notebook_st_jqohn_commit_ZCdJieClMij00xX2H3RkfO
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:08:57 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #509 on: June 27, 2012, 11:36:25 AM »
He had a couple of nice blocks yesterday and he is a very good passer in the lane. He runs the floor very well too. Our guards will have a lot of options running a fast break because it looks like our 2-4's can all run with the best of them and finish stong.

Moose

« Reply #510 on: June 27, 2012, 11:42:02 AM »
He had a couple of nice blocks yesterday and he is a very good passer in the lane. He runs the floor very well too. Our guards will have a lot of options running a fast break because it looks like our 2-4's can all run with the best of them and finish stong.

Thanks

Gotta catch his next Pro City game.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #511 on: June 27, 2012, 11:46:22 AM »

Not just 2-4's John.  Obekpa and Gift can run as well.  Should be lots of fun.

« Reply #512 on: June 27, 2012, 11:52:51 AM »

Moose

« Reply #513 on: June 27, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »
http://www.thebasketballdiary.com/2012/06/2012-nike-pro-city-schedule-at-baruch.html

He plays for Dyckman/NYAC. 

The Basketball Diary has been posting the games on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBasketballDiary?feature=g-user-u

Yeah I went last week the night Kyrie played.  Just have to work around the schedule.  Its a great time.  And another great avenue for basketball in NYC all summer with Dyckman, Rucker and Hoops in the Sun.

Chilleb

« Reply #514 on: June 27, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
http://www.thebasketballdiary.com/2012/06/2012-nike-pro-city-schedule-at-baruch.html

Yeah I went last week the night Kyrie played.  Just have to work around the schedule.  Its a great time.  And another great avenue for basketball in NYC all summer with Dyckman, Rucker and Hoops in the Sun.
Just got back In town herd Kyrie had 46 last week and Orlando is a 3pt shooter?!?? Any truth to these assessments?

Moose

« Reply #515 on: June 27, 2012, 01:35:48 PM »

Just got back In town herd Kyrie had 46 last week and Orlando is a 3pt shooter?!?? Any truth to these assessments?

Kyrie did have some ungodly #.  I think it might have been 50 plus.

Orlando has a pretty smooth form shot.  I don't think its a part of his game but can keep a defense honest.

Chilleb

« Reply #516 on: June 27, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »

Orlando has a pretty smooth form shot.  I don't think its a part of his game but can keep a defense honest.
Kyrie is a stud, nice to hear, I saw a clip of a game but the connection was so bad in my hotel all I saw was Tyler Harris towering over Sanchez, than I was relieved once I found out Harris is on his way to be 6'11

Moose

« Reply #517 on: June 27, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »

Kyrie is a stud, nice to hear, I saw a clip of a game but the connection was so bad in my hotel all I saw was Tyler Harris towering over Sanchez, than I was relieved once I found out Harris is on his way to be 6'11

Separate days but yea last night was Orlando's 2nd game.   Kyrie's team I guess played last night but he didn't play.  I know he's still in NY because a buddy of mine saw him yesterday.  Pro City was a good time. 

crgreen

« Reply #518 on: June 27, 2012, 01:56:53 PM »

OT for the thread, but since Metta is mentioned here....

Trade rumor going around, that seems to have legs:   Metta World Peace and Pau Gasol to the Wizards for Andray Blatche, Trevor Ariza and Washington's #3 pick tomorrow nite.....

Chilleb

« Reply #519 on: June 27, 2012, 02:10:27 PM »

OT for the thread, but since Metta is mentioned here....

Trade rumor going around, that seems to have legs:   Metta World Peace and Pau Gasol to the Wizards for Andray Blatche, Trevor Ariza and Washington's #3 pick tomorrow nite.....
Thomas Robinson that coveted ?