Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S

• 864 replies

Poison

Re: Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #581 on: October 25, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »
http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/stjo-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Official website has him as a junior.

Good. I don't recall hearing about a juco that arrived as a senior. So this seems right.

sju89tr

« Reply #582 on: October 25, 2012, 05:55:30 PM »

“@Raczok: @NYPost_Brazille Is Orlando Sanchez a senior or Junior? Thx Zach”

“@NYPost_Brazille: @Raczok junior”

“@Raczok: @NYPost_Brazille Thanks, conflicting info. Lenn Robbins reported as a senior.”

Hopefully this implies he has two years of eligibility. Can SJU staff clarify?

Ted pestering the media again.  ; )

LOL, it's always possible that NCAA could rule on eligibility issues that don't necessarily follow the two years in Juco and 2 years at a 4 year college, especially for guys that come from outside the US.

« Reply #583 on: October 26, 2012, 08:51:31 AM »

“@Raczok: @NYPost_Brazille Thanks, conflicting info. Lenn Robbins reported as a senior.”

LOL, it's always possible that NCAA could rule on eligibility issues that don't necessarily follow the two years in Juco and 2 years at a 4 year college, especially for guys that come from outside the US.

That's correct.  Academically he maybe a junior but that does not mean he has 2 years remaining of playing eligiblity.  He very well may but listing him as a junior on the website does not necessarily solve this riddle.

paultzman

« Reply #584 on: October 26, 2012, 01:02:48 PM »

That's correct.  Academically he maybe a junior but that does not mean he has 2 years remaining of playing eligiblity.  He very well may but listing him as a junior on the website does not necessarily solve this riddle.

Not to obsess over this, but what precludes someone from athletic administration clarifying this? Privacy issue? Appeal issue?

Moose

« Reply #585 on: October 26, 2012, 01:18:52 PM »

Not to obsess over this, but what precludes someone from athletic administration clarifying this? Privacy issue? Appeal issue?

Has anyone asked the admin?
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #586 on: October 26, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »

Has anyone asked the admin?

I asked their twitter site person, who indicated he would get back to me, but he never did. I will try the AD.

LJSA

« Reply #587 on: October 26, 2012, 02:54:47 PM »
Someone should ask him the last school he attended before Monroe. That will potentially clear up things real quick.

Poison

« Reply #588 on: October 26, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »
This might be a personal issue. If he's a 25 year old junior, I'm sure there's a part of him that isn't thrilled about that.

LJSA

« Reply #589 on: October 26, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
This might be a personal issue. If he's a 25 year old junior, I'm sure there's a part of him that isn't thrilled about that.

Which is why I think everyone should assume we'll get one year out of him and then be happy if we get a second.

MCNPA

« Reply #590 on: October 26, 2012, 05:21:31 PM »

Which is why I think everyone should assume we'll get one year out of him and then be happy if we get a second.

One year is fine.  No doubt here that Lavin will be able to find suitable replacement.

crgreen

« Reply #591 on: October 26, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »

One year is fine.  No doubt here that Lavin will be able to find suitable replacement.

I personally hate 1 years.  :(   I see folks posting that Jarkarr or Orlando should be able give us the equivalent of what Harkless gave us last year (who knows, if Lav's isn't blowing smoke, maybe Cjones does!).   BUT THATS NOT THE POINT.   They're likely NOT going to give us what a SOPHOMORE Harkless would have given us THIS year.   Does anyone doubt a returning Mo would have  been the likely BE POY in 2013?

MCNPA

« Reply #592 on: October 26, 2012, 06:01:04 PM »

I personally hate 1 years.  :(   I see folks posting that Jarkarr or Orlando should be able give us the equivalent of what Harkless gave us last year (who knows, if Lav's isn't blowing smoke, maybe Cjones does!).   BUT THATS NOT THE POINT.   They're likely NOT going to give us what a SOPHOMORE Harkless would have given us THIS year.   Does anyone doubt a returning Mo would have  been the likely BE POY in 2013?

Agree But if it's a logistical thing, there's nothing we can do.  I bet Sanchez has 2 years when all is said and done, unless he's good enough to go nba.  If he goes NBA, it is ultimately great for Lavin's recruiting resume'.

crgreen

« Reply #593 on: October 26, 2012, 07:04:23 PM »

Agree But if it's a logistical thing, there's nothing we can do.  I bet Sanchez has 2 years when all is said and done, unless he's good enough to go nba.  If he goes NBA, it is ultimately great for Lavin's recruiting resume'.

I agree.  It's just that as an old timer, I'm always torn by these situations.  I get "recruiting resumes" and "perception of the program" based on post college accomplishments of players - that the quicker those accomplishments come, the better.    I'm all for rooting for my favorite teams players  when they reach the NBA.  Hell, till the Roanoke Dazzle folded, I was a season ticket holder for the D-League - I rooted on Bruins and Hokies there.   But when all is said and done, I'm a college hoops guy, and what players accomplish IN COLLEGE for their school and their team is what I respect most.   What price is PAID for the 1 and done.  Kevin Love was the top player in his class - now proving he's one of the best players in in the pros as well.   UCLA got him for one year, and were rewarded with a Final Four appearance.    But what if instead of the #1 recruit, they'd gone after and signed the #93 RSCI player that year.   Another 6'10 kid - Markieff Morris.  Who stayed three years in college.  With the talent that was on UCLA, WITH that Post position intact for 2 additional years, there is no "drop off the precipice" as actually happpened.  No Nikola Dragovic as your "go to guy".   

There is no proper answer, no "right or wrong" when it comes to recruiting and signing these kind of players - that's just the nature of the beast today - you do what you can do under the rules to survive.   But it still leaves me a bit sad.

sju89tr

« Reply #594 on: October 27, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »

I agree.  It's just that as an old timer, I'm always torn by these situations.  I get "recruiting resumes" and "perception of the program" based on post college accomplishments of players - that the quicker those accomplishments come, the better.    I'm all for rooting for my favorite teams players  when they reach the NBA.  Hell, till the Roanoke Dazzle folded, I was a season ticket holder for the D-League - I rooted on Bruins and Hokies there.   But when all is said and done, I'm a college hoops guy, and what players accomplish IN COLLEGE for their school and their team is what I respect most.   What price is PAID for the 1 and done.  Kevin Love was the top player in his class - now proving he's one of the best players in in the pros as well.   UCLA got him for one year, and were rewarded with a Final Four appearance.    But what if instead of the #1 recruit, they'd gone after and signed the #93 RSCI player that year.   Another 6'10 kid - Markieff Morris.  Who stayed three years in college.  With the talent that was on UCLA, WITH that Post position intact for 2 additional years, there is no "drop off the precipice" as actually happpened.  No Nikola Dragovic as your "go to guy".   

There is no proper answer, no "right or wrong" when it comes to recruiting and signing these kind of players - that's just the nature of the beast today - you do what you can do under the rules to survive.   But it still leaves me a bit sad.

Assuming you get three ships a year, I think the recipe for success is as follows:
a one or two and done and gets picked in lottery
a 2-3 year player who gets drafted
a very good top 100 player who is a consistent contributor to your program and at least a 2 year starter

desco80

« Reply #595 on: November 02, 2012, 11:21:32 PM »

Assuming you get three ships a year, I think the recipe for success is as follows:
a one or two and done and gets picked in lottery
a 2-3 year player who gets drafted
a very good top 100 player who is a consistent contributor to your program and at least a 2 year starter

I see the merits in what you're saying Ted, but to me you have to recruit the best possible talent you can - and then let the chips fall where they may.
If I can get 4 top 20 guys, all of whom might be one and done's, then I do it.

But I do see the advantages to having a more experienced team.  Sometimes I think it comes down to luck though.
You would never recruit a "tweener" over his counter-part who is just as good and a step faster, or 2 inches taller.   But then sometimes you roll the balls out and the tweener blossoms into a college star, yet still isn't looked at highly by NBA scouts so he sticks around for four years.    You can't plan for that.

« Reply #596 on: November 30, 2012, 02:17:36 PM »
http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/stjo-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Official website has him as a junior.

Interesting because the official website has him listed as a Senior now.

« Reply #597 on: November 30, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »
i'm getting the feeling that he's out until 2nd semester.

« Reply #598 on: November 30, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »
Unlike Branch, semester is meaningless.

He could be cleared tomorrow.
He could be cleared in 2 months midway thru 2nd semester.

NCAA is ridiculous though that its taking this long.
I'd imaging that they're extra busy in Aug/Sept, but this insane.
Not for us, but for Orlando.
Molloy '71

« Reply #599 on: November 30, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »
If he is at Kentucky or Duke do you think he is cleared?