Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies
Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #280 on: March 16, 2012, 11:12:24 AM »
Chad Ford's latest on Moe has him as the 26th best prospect in the draft:

"Mar 9 Update: Harkless looks like he's entering the draft. Scouts love Harkless and he put on a show in Madison Square Garden on Tuesday. Harkless had 25 points, 11 rebounds and even knocked down a rare 3-pointer. One scout called him a poor man's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist -- which actually is a pretty serious compliment. If he could shoot, he'd be a lottery pick. But as it stands, there's still a good chance he goes somewhere in the mid- to late first round."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/results/players/news/_/id/19780/moe-harkless

#onemoeyear! 

Poison

« Reply #281 on: March 16, 2012, 11:23:49 AM »
Chard Ford has Moe as the #26 prospect. That tells me that he'll go in the second round. There are a lot of names missing from these NBA draft boards. We are always surprised by the amount of foreign players that just wind up going in the first round. Moe needs to have the right people around him. Omar Cook didn't.

boo3

« Reply #282 on: March 16, 2012, 11:26:18 AM »
 I wouldn't get your hopes up.  He's going to go....just get that feeling. Probably not a good move, but he's not my kid.  Hope it works out.

« Reply #283 on: March 16, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »
Chad Ford's latest on Moe has him as the 26th best prospect in the draft:

"Mar 9 Update: Harkless looks like he's entering the draft. Scouts love Harkless and he put on a show in Madison Square Garden on Tuesday. Harkless had 25 points, 11 rebounds and even knocked down a rare 3-pointer. One scout called him a poor man's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist -- which actually is a pretty serious compliment. If he could shoot, he'd be a lottery pick. But as it stands, there's still a good chance he goes somewhere in the mid- to late first round."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/results/players/news/_/id/19780/moe-harkless
Chad Ford had Nuri at #40-nuff said. This comment pertains to Ford not Mo.

« Reply #284 on: March 17, 2012, 07:48:05 AM »
Would Roycce White get drafted ahead of Moe?

Man there are a lot of 3/4's in this draft.

MCNPA

« Reply #285 on: March 17, 2012, 10:35:49 AM »

I think so.  Royce is a beast. 

Chilleb

« Reply #286 on: March 17, 2012, 10:40:10 AM »

I think so has less potential than moe but more polished and more of a definitive position. Moe dosent have that 1 skill that pops right out yet he's just a heaping pile of potential in so many different areas. Royce however has an unbelievable motor that never stops.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:46:40 AM by Chilleb »

sju89tr

« Reply #287 on: March 17, 2012, 10:43:20 AM »
Is Moe 21 yet? 

Not that it's a big deal, but from a lifestyle perspective going to the NBA at a young age with grown men can be a bit of shock.  Moe seems like a cool, chill dude. i wonder if mentally he's prepared to make that jump. only him and his mom know for sure.

I don't even know if Moe is 19 yet

MCNPA

« Reply #288 on: March 17, 2012, 11:27:57 AM »

I think so has less potential than moe but more polished and more of a definitive position. Moe dosent have that 1 skill that pops right out yet he's just a heaping pile of potential in so many different areas. Royce however has an unbelievable motor that never stops.

Agree that Moe probably has more upside, but Royce can really handle and pass for a guy at 270 and as you mentioned, his motor is great.  He's got an NBA ready body and is ready to play.  I really think Moe would benefit a lot in his draft position and his game with 1 more year.   That's up to him of course and I wish him the best no matter what.  Would be fun to see him back with this group.

« Reply #289 on: March 17, 2012, 12:16:10 PM »
If I were Mo, I'd want until after the tourney ends before deciding what to do (forget when the deadline is, so that may not be possible).  Over the years, we have seen many a player's stock go up by virtue of having a big-time tournament and producing in front of scouts.  It would be sad to see this great kid commit prematurely, only to have his stock drop him into the second round.  He'll able to play the 3/4 exclusively next year with Sampson, Gift, and the 1 or 2 bigs on board everyone seems to think we'll get.

« Reply #290 on: March 17, 2012, 11:39:49 PM »
Forgive me if this has been posted.  I'm on phone and haven't read through thread on phone.  He's officially gone, will find out officially tomorrow.  Some inside program don't agree with the decision and think 1 more yr.  Like a lot of fans think he will cost himself money. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:40:48 PM by B-Squared »

« Reply #291 on: March 17, 2012, 11:46:26 PM »
well not much we can do but wish him the best. Hope he goes high to mid 1st round. Either way I appreciate him being the 1st one to commit to us.

« Reply #292 on: March 18, 2012, 12:04:43 AM »
well not much we can do but wish him the best. Hope he goes high to mid 1st round. Either way I appreciate him being the 1st one to commit to us.

Agreed, either way wish him luck

MCNPA

« Reply #293 on: March 18, 2012, 01:41:58 AM »
I think Moe really should return one year to improve his draft status, body and skills but good luck to him either way.  He got the ball rolling.  I happen to think we'll be fine without him as well.  I expect Garrett and Pointer to improve and now we add Jakarr and hopefully another player or two on the wing.  We'll lose Moe but gain 6 players which is a net win for our depth and program overall.  No more lean times ahead, and Lavin can start to cherry-pick top notch kids a bit instead of hauling in massive classes. 

In the end, Moe playing in the NBA is VERY good for SJU, Lavin and our recruiting efforts.  It's a win no matter what and should pay huge dividends on the recruiting trail and start having us represent in th pros after quite a drought.  Lavin always intended on recruiting "future pros" and we're seeing that take place.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:43:55 AM by MCNPA »

PIB

« Reply #294 on: March 18, 2012, 06:24:51 AM »
I think Moe really should return one year to improve his draft status, body and skills but good luck to him either way.  He got the ball rolling.  I happen to think we'll be fine without him as well.  I expect Garrett and Pointer to improve and now we add Jakarr and hopefully another player or two on the wing.  We'll lose Moe but gain 6 players which is a net win for our depth and program overall.  No more lean times ahead, and Lavin can start to cherry-pick top notch kids a bit instead of hauling in massive classes. 

In the end, Moe playing in the NBA is VERY good for SJU, Lavin and our recruiting efforts.  It's a win no matter what and should pay huge dividends on the recruiting trail and start having us represent in th pros after quite a drought.  Lavin always intended on recruiting "future pros" and we're seeing that take place.

I agree that Mo playing in the NBA is good for us... to an extent.

My concern is how much burn Mo will actually get in the league. He's light in the ass, weak, and needs work on his shot. I am pulling for him to be a stud, but I'd be lying if I said I expect him to make an instant impact somewhere. Hopefully, he will develop his game and be a fixture in the league for years to come.

I still think he should have come back, but... it's his life, his choice. in the ned, he'll live with his decisions.

sju89tr

« Reply #295 on: March 18, 2012, 09:59:57 AM »
Actually the lower Moe goes the better for his future getting on a team like Boston or the Spurs for example for his development. I wish him the very best with whatever decision he makes. It would have been fun to see him and Sampson play on the court together but it's definitely a win-win for St Johns either way. I just want Moe to have a nice long productive NBA career.

Wods317

« Reply #296 on: March 18, 2012, 12:04:46 PM »
I am not just saying this because I want Moe to come back but he just isn't ready for the NBA I dont think. He is still very skinny and could really benefit from bulking up because people his height in the NBA are going to have 20 lbs of muscle on him. He has a ton of work to do on his shot. He has a decent mid range game but he struggled to hit 3's at this level this year. If he comes back and works on his shot and bulks up he would benefit a ton from it. His body and skill set I don't think are ready to be an NBA player. If a team picks him in the first round it will be as a project and he risks falling into the 2nd round.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:05:20 PM by Wods317 »

paultzman

« Reply #297 on: March 18, 2012, 12:16:25 PM »
Tea leaves clear. Good luck Moe & thanks for being that big first recruit that got us going!

boo3

« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »
 I wish him nothing but the best. Hopefully he is the first , in a long line of Johnnies to go to the league under the Lavin regime.

He's grabbing the money. I would do the same most likely.  Its way too easy to sit back and second guess this decision.  I think he'll be picked between 20-30 in the upcoming draft. A team like Boston would be great. He can learn from Paul Pierce for a few years until it's his turn.

kjd01067

« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2012, 12:52:57 PM »
I wish him nothing but the best. Hopefully he is the first , in a long line of Johnnies to go to the league under the Lavin regime.

He's grabbing the money. I would do the same most likely.  Its way too easy to sit back and second guess this decision.  I think he'll be picked between 20-30 in the upcoming draft. A team like Boston would be great. He can learn from Paul Pierce for a few years until it's his turn.

I wish Moe all the best but I so hope he doesn't get drafted by Boston.  You must not be a true NY fan if you would ever wish that upon a fellow NYer (half kidding but seriously F*ck Boston).  I will root for Moe as long as he plays for any team other than Boston (if he plays for boston, I will root for him to play great, but lose every game)