Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies

Wods317

Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #360 on: March 18, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »
He should stay and work on his strength and perimeter game, I'm saying that because I think that whats best for Moe. Good luck to him though I hope whatever team picks him is willing to be patient and let him develop. Only he can decides whats best for him and his family and he must have good reasons for leaving, good luck Mo.

DFF6

« Reply #361 on: March 18, 2012, 08:38:33 PM »
Best of luck to Moe.  We're all disappointed that you won't be helping the team next year, but you were first to commit and first to the NBA under Coach Lavin and his staff, and for that, we should all be thankful.

desco80

« Reply #362 on: March 18, 2012, 08:49:30 PM »
Remember Moe opened the gates for the rest.  He started it.

That is 100% true, but why risk your entire career? What he saw in Lexington this year he'll see in the league. I saw nothing that tells me he's ready. He's a promising freshman. The NBA is insane.

He's not risking his NBA career.   I understand your logic - that a high pick leads to more job security and more patience from the front office.  You're right about that.
But the bottom line is guys like Omar and Barkley, and other early entries didn't not make it in the NBA because they left
early... they didn't make it because they weren't good enough.   As much as I like them, let's call a spade a spade here.   
You might have a longer leash and more cushion if you're a high pick; but coming out early doesn't ruin careers.   If you have the talent you'll find your place in the league. 

He's got talent, but no way does he have more talent than Omar Cook does.

That's debatable at best.  Omar was a wizard seeing the floor, but he couldn't shoot.   But regardless, even with Omar coming out a year early, if he had the skills that the NBA wants from a pg then he would've stuck around.  But he was 6'1 and a poor shooter.   
I'm not saying Moe's going to make it, but if he doesn't it won't be because he came out as a freshmen.   

boo3

« Reply #363 on: March 18, 2012, 08:50:56 PM »
  Harkless is a much better pro prospect than Omar Cook and thats all that matters.

Poison

« Reply #364 on: March 18, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »
Cok couldn't shoot? What was his 3 point shooting % at St.John's?

Moose

« Reply #365 on: March 18, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »

31%
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #366 on: March 18, 2012, 08:58:02 PM »

.309     Doesn't prove either of us right haha.   But I didn't mean to make this a Cook v Moe thing, just saying that if Moe is good enough he'll stick in the league.  Regardless of if he came out this year or next.   

boo3

« Reply #367 on: March 18, 2012, 09:06:41 PM »

.309     Doesn't prove either of us right haha.   But I didn't mean to make this a Cook v Moe thing, just saying that if Moe is good enough he'll stick in the league.  Regardless of if he came out this year or next.

Comparing Omar and Harkless makes no sense.  Unless you are Iverson or Kyrie Irving, no one under 6'2" should ever leave after one or two years.

Harkless will be fine. He'll make more money than any of us and we'll still be here bitching about something else....

« Reply #368 on: March 18, 2012, 10:10:48 PM »
Yo N, it's BR.  Hit me up on the IM post haste. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

redslope

« Reply #369 on: March 18, 2012, 10:19:53 PM »
While all of us will miss Moe next year, it is his decision and I support it.  I like the idea of him making an anouncement in MSG with his coach; it shows class rather than just a blurb in the paper/a tweet/a mention in a blog.  I agree with others who note that this shows other top level recruits that coach can make it happen.  Coach was working for ESPN for 7 years so HSer's have no idea of his ability to elevate their game to make it to the big leagues.  Now they will see results and follow in Moe's footsteps.

« Reply #370 on: March 18, 2012, 10:48:29 PM »
I wish Mo the best, but am not about to issue him a hallow. His actions including his decommitting from Uconn were for his own benefit.  And I don't credit him with any contribution to the recruiting of the class of 2011. I doubt if Harrison in Texas, Sampson in Ohio, Pointer in Detroit (North Carolina ) or the two Californian had any idea who he was or in any way were influence to sign on because of Mo.

« Reply #371 on: March 18, 2012, 10:51:52 PM »
I wish Mo the best, but am not about to issue him a hallow. His actions including his decommitting from Uconn were for his own benefit.  And I don't credit him with any contribution to the recruiting of the class of 2011. I doubt if Harrison in Texas, Sampson in Ohio, Pointer in Detroit (North Carolina ) or the two Californian had any idea who he was or in any way were influence to sign on because of Mo.

This here is the ignorance.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #372 on: March 18, 2012, 10:56:41 PM »
Mo got the ball rolling.  No doubt he had a major impact on other recruits following.  Our biggest NYC recruit since Cook.

Loved watching Mo play.  Class act on and off the court.  Seems like a great kid.  Wish him nothing but the best with his decision.  Hanging on to the slight thread of hope that he comes back but, if not, he'll represent the program well at the next level, and I truly hope his decision ends up being the correct one.

Moose

« Reply #373 on: March 18, 2012, 10:58:24 PM »

You have no idea why he decommitted from Uconn.
He was the first recruit before Lavin did anything and paved the way for others.
Seriously one of the most head scratching posts I've ever read.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #374 on: March 18, 2012, 11:04:59 PM »

Hiring Coach Lavin and Moe Harkless committing to St. John's, will go down in history as the most important reason for our program's turnaround.  Moe deserves our unconditional support.

Happy

« Reply #375 on: March 18, 2012, 11:05:26 PM »

This here is the ignorance.

+1  Smh

« Reply #376 on: March 18, 2012, 11:10:05 PM »
Me thinks someone still has a St Paddys buzz on to think this stuff

Poison

« Reply #377 on: March 18, 2012, 11:21:45 PM »

He was the first recruit that we signed under Lavin. He absolutely changed our recruiting presence not just in NY, but nationally. To say that kids like Harrison weren't swayed by his choice to come here is ridiculous. They all knew who he was. It's not 1985. There's something called summer league and there's also something called the Internet

crgreen

« Reply #378 on: March 19, 2012, 12:04:54 AM »
Me thinks someone still has a St Paddys buzz on to think this stuff

Glad I qualified my earlier post to the sanity of MOST!   :)

« Reply #379 on: March 19, 2012, 12:28:55 AM »

Worst Post of 2012. We won't even take other nominees this wins it.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle