Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row

• 222 replies
Re: Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 04:10:07 PM »
Age has nothing to do with it. Remember back in the day Georgetown had a 26yo forward, Charles Highsmith I believe. Served in the military and was a nice serviceable role player for the Hoyas.

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 04:59:02 PM »
The guy is a great example to the other players on the team of how to conduct themselves when things don't work out the way you planned. Another kid would be yappin, etc. about his getting shafted.
I really hope that somehow someway he plays one game if not more for us whether it is this year or next.
I heard from one of the womens' team members that he is the real deal,best on the team and looks like a pro when he plays.   

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
Have read the posts saying how good Sanchez looks in practice. Anyone have any info on how Gift and Hooper are looking in practice. Curious to know if GG is able to shoot over CO.

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 06:57:45 PM »
If he's this good, he may as well stick around and get some practice in against D1-caliber players while also getting an education.

true. plus it's a very weak draft.

Plus, he should stick around until pre-draft camps to see if he can get an invite and land an NBA contract. Why go overseas before you investigate your prospects fully here? Better money here plus weak draft makes this a no-brainer to me.

All true but he is eligible to play in the D-League if it was just about hoops.  I think he must appreciate the educational and/or social experience his is getting.

RedVet

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 06:58:53 PM »
Age has nothing to do with it. Remember back in the day Georgetown had a 26yo forward, Charles Highsmith I believe. Served in the military and was a nice serviceable role player for the Hoyas.

Ronnie Highsmith. Served in the Army for four years before going to Georgetown. (So figure about 22 when he joined the team as a frosh.) Also, prior to him, John Thompson had Ed "The Mailman" Spriggs, who worked for US Postal Service for four years following HS graduation -- hence the nickname -- before joining the Hoyas. So he, too, was about 22 years old when he became a Hoya. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 06:59:43 PM by RedVet »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 08:14:20 PM »
The NCAA is a mess right now with their Cheif and the issues with the Miami investigations. Why not sue and say that you were screed over by the NCAA. It wod shine a brighter and potential more embarrassing light on them.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »
The guy is a great example to the other players on the team of how to conduct themselves when things don't work out the way you planned. Another kid would be yappin, etc. about his getting shafted.
I really hope that somehow someway he plays one game if not more for us whether it is this year or next.
I heard from one of the womens' team members that he is the real deal,best on the team and looks like a pro when he plays.

Agree. He really seems like a high character kid. He deserves a shot at college ball because obviously that's what he wants to do or else he wouldn't be here. Most kids would be gone by now, he's sticking it out.

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 09:59:43 PM »
from Orlando's FacebooK just now:

"I love St Johns Red Storm forever"

if he can play, he'll play for us next year. seems to really love the school.

crgreen

gman

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 10:23:06 PM »
The NCAA is so ridiculous.  They don't care one bit about the kids. 

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 10:25:25 PM »
http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/st-johns-red-storm-mens-basketball/2013/2/22/4019782/orlando-sanchez-eligibility-update-dominican-republic

Great job by Quinn.

Finally some clarity. Agree Q deserves kudos!

Agreed and at least we have an explanation.

Cerainly seems petty by the NCAA but at the same time I don't see how this comes out favorably for Sanchez and SJU at the end of the day.

Also it appears his lawyer leaked this to the Times probably in an attempt to draw attention to what he sees as an injustice.  But not sure the NCAA will view this favorably.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:31:27 PM by fordham96 »

gman

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2013, 10:26:44 PM »
Zags tweets

The New York Times, which hasn't staffed at #stjbb game all has season, has the Sanchez story. Stay tuned for more tonight and tom. 11 minutes ago

St. John's will make the attorney available to the media tomorrow 18 minutes ago

Orlando Sanchez and #stjbb have retained an attorney, Robert Orr, to represent Sanchez at this stage, St. John's spokesman Mark Fratto says 19 minutes ago

paultzman

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2013, 10:26:54 PM »
“@LennRobbins: NCAA really needs a complete overhaul starting with a president that gets makeup to sit at the scorer's table in case he's caught on TV”

“@LennRobbins: St. John's hired an attorney to fight for C Orlando Sanchez eligibility. Robert Orr represented Shabazz Muhammad #stjbb”