Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row

• 222 replies

sju89tr

Re: Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2013, 10:45:06 AM »
Updated Zag's piece with Lavin, Monasch quotes;

“The NCAA has an age limit for student-athletes who compete in Division I, which is intended to promote safety and competitive balance among its student-athletes,” St. John’s AD Chris Monasch said. “The NCAA allows for waiver opportunities, based on mitigating circumstances in individual cases. We believe Orlando Sanchez’s circumstances deserve the strongest of consideration. We have been working diligently with the NCAA to gain Orlando eligibility to participate as a student-athlete at St. John’s. At this stage in the process, the University has chosen to support Orlando with legal counsel to assist his cause.”

Said Johnnies head coach Steve Lavin:

“Orlando is a thoughtful, humble and focused young man, who has worked diligently toward his goals. He has been successful as a student with a 3.48 GPA during his time at St. John’s, and has shown both promise and progress practicing as a member of our team throughout the year. Our University continues to work in concert with the NCAA as we have throughout the waiver and appeals process.”

They should sue, and they get this story out. The NCAA has cleared players who have done far worse. Why is that?

The rules are pretty clear, the NCAA doesn't want to set bad precedent that will cause others to use it in the future but on the other hand he likely always thought he had at least 1 more year after Monroe. The Domican National Team 3 minutes of action is the issue open to interpretation. I think with him (STJ) hiring a heavy hitter in Orr and the other bad press involved with Shabbaz and Miami that this thing will be resolved "quietly" 

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2013, 11:02:51 AM »

“The NCAA has an age limit for student-athletes who compete in Division I, which is intended to promote safety and competitive balance among its student-athletes,” St. John’s AD Chris Monasch said. “The NCAA allows for waiver opportunities, based on mitigating circumstances in individual cases. We believe Orlando Sanchez’s circumstances deserve the strongest of consideration. We have been working diligently with the NCAA to gain Orlando eligibility to participate as a student-athlete at St. John’s. At this stage in the process, the University has chosen to support Orlando with legal counsel to assist his cause.”

“Orlando is a thoughtful, humble and focused young man, who has worked diligently toward his goals. He has been successful as a student with a 3.48 GPA during his time at St. John’s, and has shown both promise and progress practicing as a member of our team throughout the year. Our University continues to work in concert with the NCAA as we have throughout the waiver and appeals process.”

They should sue, and they get this story out. The NCAA has cleared players who have done far worse. Why is that?

The rules are pretty clear, the NCAA doesn't want to set bad precedent that will cause others to use it in the future but on the other hand he likely always thought he had at least 1 more year after Monroe. The Domican National Team 3 minutes of action is the issue open to interpretation. I think with him (STJ) hiring a heavy hitter in Orr and the other bad press involved with Shabbaz and Miami that this thing will be resolved "quietly"

The intended purpose for the rule is no longer relevant...kids today have more options to play not-for-pay organized ball...I don't buy the competitive balance issue (think it is no longer relevant)...a kid, above 21 and not enrolled in college, should be able to hone his skills for any reason - be it for personal gratification or based on aspirations to play on the college or pro level. If the kid is good enough for the pros he will go pro...if he is good enough to be offered a college scholarship, so be it...either way - competitive balance is not affected...   

sju89tr

« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »

The intended purpose for the rule is no longer relevant...kids today have more options to play not-for-pay organized ball...I don't buy the competitive balance issue (think it is no longer relevant)...a kid, above 21 and not enrolled in college, should be able to hone his skills for any reason - be it for personal gratification or based on aspirations to play on the college or pro level. If the kid is good enough for the pros he will go pro...if he is good enough to be offered a college scholarship, so be it...either way - competitive balance is not affected...   

I agree and I would assume that competitive balance issue is more relevant for football.   

Poison

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2013, 11:17:17 AM »

The rules are clear. Whether they are enforced or not, depends on which school we are talking about. SJ is small time. If we were a powerhouse football and basketball program, he'd be cleared and this would be a non story.

Marillac

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2013, 11:29:40 AM »

I agree and I would assume that competitive balance issue is more relevant for football.   

Ironically football has much more lenient age restrictions that most sports in the NCAA.  There is no rhyme or reason for any of this nonsense.  Penalizing a kid two years of participation for one calendar year just because he reached the age of 21 is nonsense.  Karl Towns played on that same damn team, gained the same "advantages," and he will enter college with four years of eligibility even if he plays a total of five years on the Dominican team.  The rule is at best arbitrary and at worst discriminatory. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2013, 11:31:40 AM »

The rules are pretty clear, the NCAA doesn't want to set bad precedent that will cause others to use it in the future

Are the rules pretty clear? "The NCAA allows for waiver opportunities, based on mitigating circumstances, on individual cases". Its clear there are exception criteria but are the mitigating factors in black and white or are they arbitrary? Either way its clear STJ believes strongly in there position or else I can not see them persuing this to the degree that they are. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:33:31 AM by STJFAN »

paultzman

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2013, 11:38:27 AM »
SJU certainly is giving its all, hiring a major league attorney to combat the "Evil Empire" lol

sju89tr

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2013, 11:39:02 AM »

The rules are clear. Whether they are enforced or not, depends on which school we are talking about. SJ is small time. If we were a powerhouse football and basketball program, he'd be cleared and this would be a non story.

I feel the same way but ask John Calipari about Enes Kanter. These international issues are fuzzy

sju89tr

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2013, 11:41:55 AM »

The rules are pretty clear, the NCAA doesn't want to set bad precedent that will cause others to use it in the future

Are the rules pretty clear? "The NCAA allows for waiver opportunities, based on mitigating circumstances, on individual cases". Its clear there are exception criteria but are the mitigating factors in black and white or are they arbitrary? Either way its clear STJ believes strongly in there position or else I can not see them persuing this to the degree that they are. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I don't like all these waivers etc. Rules need to be changed to allow a one time transfer for example to schools that the player and existing university can agree upon. Of course its fully understandable to not allow a transfer to a school in your conference or perhaps in your own city.

There should be no difference in age limits for competitive balance.

There should be a 21 year old rule or 3 years removed from your HS class for all basketball players as they do in football and baseball   

paultzman

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »
Exposure essestial IMO;

“@QSTJHoops: Robert Orr, lawyer representing Orlando Sanchez, just spoke with media via a conference call. Story coming a bit later. #stjbb”

Poison

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »
Exposure essestial IMO;

“@QSTJHoops: Robert Orr, lawyer representing Orlando Sanchez, just spoke with media via a conference call. Story coming a bit later. #stjbb”

Great to hear. I hope we find out which NCAA bastards are specifically "handling" this case.

boo3

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2013, 12:42:25 PM »
 Wouldn't that be a great resolution?...Sanchez gets to play next year.  I'll believe it when I see it, but at least I can be a bit hopeful.  Sounds like a great kid, player, and University representative.  I hope it works out for him.

Imagine Jordan and Sanchez joining this group next year?  Obviously, there would have to be some shake up, but I'm sure it can be figured out.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:43:09 PM by boo3 »

ras

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2013, 01:23:49 PM »
we were trying to get Jorden and Lawrence. So there should be room for Jorden and Sanchez. IMO Hooper pays his own way, or gets academic scholi,which he deserves if possible.Hoopers father is well off.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:24:25 PM by ras »

redslope

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2013, 01:29:01 PM »
Orlando has a 3.48 for his first semeter at SJU; a very good student who would like to be an athlete.  The one and doners squeak by with the bare minimum as this is just a drop in year for them; they are athletes first and foremost.  This is age discrimination pure and simple because every kid coming into D1 has played numerous years for teams o/s HS and those don't count towards eligibility and how many under 16, under 18, and under 21 national team members get charged a year of eligibility: Agr Discrimination pure and simple

Dan

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2013, 01:38:21 PM »
yeah I'm hoping Orr sues the NCAA for age discrimination.  They are a disgrace.  If this was Kentucky the NCAA would have just made sure their check cleared and then he would have been good to go.

paultzman

« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2013, 02:05:12 PM »
Latest

“@QSTJHoops: Robert Orr, lawyer representing Orlando Sanchez, speaks on #NCAA eligibility case. #stjbb  http://sbn.to/VZi2Ux

Poison

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »
Latest

“@QSTJHoops: Robert Orr, lawyer representing Orlando Sanchez, speaks on #NCAA eligibility case. #stjbb  http://sbn.to/VZi2Ux

So Orr doesn't want to go to court? What's he doing here then?

paultzman

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »
Latest

I think he is just playing out process and seeing if NCAA wants to be reasonable. Hopefully recent spate of news coverage will help. NCAA has enough problems, so maybe this can be solved to our satisfaction. That said, he noted SJU has not told him to sue. The question is will they,if still at an impasse? Just my opinion!

SJUFAN

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2013, 02:19:32 PM »
Latest

However bad the rule may be, it's still a rule. The fact that its a bad rule isn't an argument. Just don't understand why the NCAA are being a rear of a donkeys about this. Just grant the young man a waiver!

Poison

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2013, 02:22:06 PM »
Latest

I think he is just playing out process and seeing if NCAA wants to be reasonable. Hopefully recent spate of news coverage will help. NCAA has enough problems, so maybe this can be solved to our satisfaction. That said, he noted SJU has not told him to sue. The question is will they,if still at an impasse? Just my opinion!

IMO, you don't let the NCAA know you'd like to resolve this amicably, you simply sue them, and make sure they know that you are ready to tear them a new a rear of a donkey while dragging their dirty name through the mud.

Personally, I think St.John's should have sued the minute this happened. They took a chance on Sanchez, and if they truly believe he should be allowed to play, then they shouldn't have tip toed around these F'ers.