Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row

• 222 replies

bk8664

Re: Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2013, 10:30:52 PM »
The NCAA is so ridiculous.  They don't care one bit about the kids.

This is the kind of ridiculous stuff that makes me want the four super conferences to all go to 16 teams to basically blow up the NCAA organication and start over.  I understand they have a tough job, but they seem like hard-headed idiots and they protect their fiefdom way too much. 

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2013, 10:37:33 PM »
And now we know ultimately why despite not being cleared to play Orlando is still enrolled at SJU.

He still wants to fight this thing and of course him being enrolled at his school of choice makes it easer to ultimately state his case and of course if he does get cleared he is all set to go.

gman

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »
Perhaps this is why Lavin and Co. supposedly backed off Lawrence

http://zagsblog.com/articles/st-johns-sanchez-fighting-to-get-extra-year-in-2013-14/

Orlando Sanchez and St. John’s have retained an attorney, Robert Orr, to represent Sanchez in his efforts to get a year of eligibility back in 2013-14, St. John’s spokesman Mark Fratto told SNY.tv Friday night.

As first reported by SNY.tv in January, Sanchez, 24, was ruled ineligible by the NCAA and the case is considered “closed and…final.”

The New York Times revealed in a story on its Website that Sanchez was declared ineligible because he played 3 minutes, 38 seconds with the Dominican Republic national team in 2010.

“I did not know one dream would cost me another,” the 6-foot-9 Sanchez wrote in a letter to the N.C.A.A. in October, the Times reported.

St. John’s is hoping that the NCAA will give the case another look, even though a source previously told SNY.tv: ““The bar is high. Odds are slim at best with new information.”

The irony, of course, is that if Sanchez were to come back next season, the Johnnies wouldn’t have any scholarships to give.

As things now stand, if Sanchez doesn’t return, they would have one scholarship to use, assuming no one on the current team leaves or goes pro.

Head coach Steve Lavin and his staff spent Thursday night watching 2013 Philly Vaux Roberts guard Rysheed Jordan, who remains their top priority after Jermaine Lawrence picked Cincinnati over St. John’s and UNLV.

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2013, 10:44:33 PM »
Not sure how much relevance it is to case but cal coached that team and he is a college coach, if he knew the rule one would think he would explain the stipulation to Orlando. Say what you want about coach cal but I highly doubt he knew the rules about a kid losing eligibility and if he did no way does he try to screw Orlando over. I mean this guy knows how to get around the NCAA by laws and if he didn't know rule how could anyone other than ncaa heads? Once Orlando made team it is someone's responsibility to explain to a kid what ramifications could happen if he even stepped on court with the pros.  The NCAA needs a commissioner in worst way but that would mean the NCAA brass could not keep sticking hand in cookie jar for their own bennifit.

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »
Or am I wrong with him coaching that team? If so I guess my point is worthless.

« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2013, 10:48:21 PM »
from Orlando's FacebooK just now:

"I love St Johns Red Storm forever"

if he can play, he'll play for us next year. seems to really love the school.

I dont care if he goes on and plays at Syracuse just as long as he gets to play

« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2013, 10:48:29 PM »

This is the kind of ridiculous stuff that makes me want the four super conferences to all go to 16 teams to basically blow up the NCAA organication and start over.  I understand they have a tough job, but they seem like hard-headed idiots and they protect their fiefdom way too much. 

The school presidents ARE the NCAA.  The coaches and players may not like the NCAA but the overwhelming majority of school presidents do otherwise we wouldn't have the NCAA.  At the end of the day, the people in the NCAA offices in Indianapolis work for the school presidents around the country.  Until the school presidents (or the US court system) decides to curb the profits of schools and that organization it will remain as is.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

bk8664

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2013, 10:50:09 PM »

http://zagsblog.com/articles/st-johns-sanchez-fighting-to-get-extra-year-in-2013-14/

I'm skeptical that Lav would back off because of Sanchez possibly becoming eligible.   If a talent like Lawrence wants to come to SJU, you make room for him - even if it is just for marketing purposes to prove to the world that Lav is still on top of his game recruiting wise.  I don't know how you do it, but you get it done. 

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2013, 11:10:41 PM »
So here is a kid from an underdeveloped country working hard to support his family.  Attempts to continue his education by graduating high school and moves on to attain a college degree.  From what ive heard on the board he is doing well in school. 

Now it's ruled he played 3:38 seconds which cost him his last year of eligibility.  I would imagine he still has another year left to complete his degree.  NCAA rules against him, which would force most other people in the same situation to try and pursue other opportunities to play basketball and not continue his education.  WOuld Orlando even be allowed to stick around next year if it doesnt get overturned an we fill the schollie? 

I commend Orlando for trying to stick it out and hope it works out for him.  It's pretty clear the NCAA doesnt care at all abt these kids.  THey care abt a black and white rulebook a little more. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:11:55 PM by B-Squared »

Moose

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2013, 11:19:06 PM »
Lets not ignore the asinine rule is only because he was over the age of 21.  If he was under that age it wouldnt have mattered is how I read it.

So for the longest time everyone talked about his current age 24.  I and some others said age had nothing to do with it.  It really didn't because you can be 28 and play ball but I had no clue this rule existed and it was only for those over 21.  So kind of interesting how it circled back to age but not the age we all thought of.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2013, 11:23:04 PM »
Lets not ignore the asinine rule is only because he was over the age of 21.  If he was under that age it wouldnt have mattered is how I read it.

So for the longest time everyone talked about his current age 24.  I and some others said age had nothing to do with it.  It really didn't because you can be 28 and play ball but I had no clue this rule existed and it was only for those over 21.  So kind of interesting how it circled back to age but not the age we all thought of.

That is right.  You can be an amateur at any age but apparently at certain ages you can do things seemingly innocent and jeopardize your eligibility as opposed to doing those same things at a younger age.

And who knows that is probably why Marco lost a year.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:23:46 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2013, 11:25:04 PM »
http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/st-johns-red-storm-mens-basketball/2013/2/22/4019782/orlando-sanchez-eligibility-update-dominican-republic

Great job by Quinn.

Finally some clarity. Agree Q deserves kudos!

Agreed and at least we have an explanation.

Cerainly seems petty by the NCAA but at the same time I don't see how this comes out favorably for Sanchez and SJU at the end of the day.

Also it appears his lawyer leaked this to the Times probably in an attempt to draw attention to what he sees as an injustice.  But not sure the NCAA will view this favorably.

Seems like they are going to make their case on the fact that two of his stints were in same calendar year and therefore should have counted as 1 year - not two. Not sure how successful they will be but he has has zero to lose and the NCAA deserves 150% of whatever bad press they get. They have a stick and they like wielding it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:25:48 PM by section3 »

redslope

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2013, 11:27:02 PM »
This a travesty.  The concept of student athlete is an excellent description of this young man.  To see what the NCAA is doing to him and then they let the one and doners continue to make a mockery of the the word student in student athlete.  What hypocrites!  Oh, that is right--the NCAA does not award students who graduate.

Tiznow

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2013, 11:43:49 PM »

The school presidents ARE the NCAA.  The coaches and players may not like the NCAA but the overwhelming majority of school presidents do otherwise we wouldn't have the NCAA.  At the end of the day, the people in the NCAA offices in Indianapolis work for the school presidents around the country.  Until the school presidents (or the US court system) decides to curb the profits of schools and that organization it will remain as is.

And the school presidents take direction from ESPN.  Once ESPN picks up this up, Sanchez has a pretty good chance.

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2013, 11:45:20 PM »
Might be the opposite. Perhaps they decided to take to the offense in response to not getting Lawrence.

gman

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2013, 11:55:37 PM »
Might be the opposite. Perhaps they decided to take to the offense in response to not getting Lawrence.

Could be.  People made it sound like we backed off of Lawrence at the end.  Just saying maybe knowing they were going on the offensive with Sanchez could have been part of the reason.

MCNPA

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2013, 02:48:37 AM »
Can't believe they really ruled him ineligible due to 3 minutes played in what is essentially an exhibition game for his country.  In addition, they say he used 2 years of eligibility having played for Monroe and an amateur league in the same calendar year?  Can't figure that one out either.

Fwiw, I'm glad that SJU and Lavin are fighting this one.  It is truly an injustice and I'm sure not what these rules are intended to enforce.  Seems they are being deliberately punitive here.   It's great that it is garnering media attention. 

Not sure if he can get eligible, but the truth is that if Sanchez is somehow able to get eligible, it would be monstrous for us.  Even better than Lawrence IMO, as Orlando is physically ready to make us a dominant team.  I'm not going. To get my hopes up, but glad to see we are supporting the kid.

Poison

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2013, 05:13:00 AM »
If this is true, the NCAA needs to be taught a lesson. Legal, or not.

paultzman

« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2013, 10:27:49 AM »
Updated Zag's piece with Lavin, Monasch quotes;

“The NCAA has an age limit for student-athletes who compete in Division I, which is intended to promote safety and competitive balance among its student-athletes,” St. John’s AD Chris Monasch said. “The NCAA allows for waiver opportunities, based on mitigating circumstances in individual cases. We believe Orlando Sanchez’s circumstances deserve the strongest of consideration. We have been working diligently with the NCAA to gain Orlando eligibility to participate as a student-athlete at St. John’s. At this stage in the process, the University has chosen to support Orlando with legal counsel to assist his cause.”

Said Johnnies head coach Steve Lavin:

“Orlando is a thoughtful, humble and focused young man, who has worked diligently toward his goals. He has been successful as a student with a 3.48 GPA during his time at St. John’s, and has shown both promise and progress practicing as a member of our team throughout the year. Our University continues to work in concert with the NCAA as we have throughout the waiver and appeals process.”
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:28:09 AM by paultzman »

Poison

« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2013, 10:38:12 AM »
Updated Zag's piece with Lavin, Monasch quotes;

“The NCAA has an age limit for student-athletes who compete in Division I, which is intended to promote safety and competitive balance among its student-athletes,” St. John’s AD Chris Monasch said. “The NCAA allows for waiver opportunities, based on mitigating circumstances in individual cases. We believe Orlando Sanchez’s circumstances deserve the strongest of consideration. We have been working diligently with the NCAA to gain Orlando eligibility to participate as a student-athlete at St. John’s. At this stage in the process, the University has chosen to support Orlando with legal counsel to assist his cause.”

Said Johnnies head coach Steve Lavin:

“Orlando is a thoughtful, humble and focused young man, who has worked diligently toward his goals. He has been successful as a student with a 3.48 GPA during his time at St. John’s, and has shown both promise and progress practicing as a member of our team throughout the year. Our University continues to work in concert with the NCAA as we have throughout the waiver and appeals process.”

They should sue, and they get this story out. The NCAA has cleared players who have done far worse. Why is that?