Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row

• 222 replies

DFF6

Re: Sanchez Still in the 2nd Row
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2013, 02:22:35 PM »
Latest

“@QSTJHoops: Robert Orr, lawyer representing Orlando Sanchez, speaks on #NCAA eligibility case. #stjbb  http://sbn.to/VZi2Ux

So Orr doesn't want to go to court? What's he doing here then?

He's working the court of public opinion right now to leverage some pressure on the NCAA dolts. Besides, the article says he's not yet authorized to take this to court. That could quickly change depending on how the NCAA responds.

paultzman

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2013, 02:24:57 PM »
Latest

“@QSTJHoops: Robert Orr, lawyer representing Orlando Sanchez, speaks on #NCAA eligibility case. #stjbb  http://sbn.to/VZi2Ux

I think he is just playing out process and seeing if NCAA wants to be reasonable. Hopefully recent spate of news coverage will help. NCAA has enough problems, so maybe this can be solved to our satisfaction. That said, he noted SJU has not told him to sue. The question is will they,if still at an impasse? Just my opinion!

IMO, you don't let the NCAA know you'd like to resolve this amicably, you simply sue them, and make sure they know that you are ready to tear them a new a rear of a donkey while dragging their dirty name through the mud.

Personally, I think St.John's should have sued the minute this happened. They took a chance on Sanchez, and if they truly believe he should be allowed to play, then they shouldn't have tip toed around these F'ers.

Not arguing with you, but the attorney needs SJU to make the determination to sue. We'll see if they have fortitude to do that if current efforts fail.

Poison

« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2013, 02:25:20 PM »
Latest

He's working the court of public opinion right now to leverage some pressure on the NCAA dolts. Besides, the article says he's not yet authorized to take this to court. That could quickly change depending on how the NCAA responds.

Understood. I don't care for that plan. A lawyer is a shark. Not a mediator. We'll see how it plays out. The NCAA has a vendetta against St.John's. Why else would they not want more slave labor?

« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2013, 02:27:03 PM »
Latest

Bingo  The NCAA is gulity of a double count

paultzman

« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2013, 03:34:28 PM »
Bilas;

“@JayBilas: SJU's Orlando Sanchez held accountable for three minutes by NCAA: http://nyti.ms/Xsz3US NCAA Prez not accountable for three years. Wow.”

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »
Jay Bilas ‏@JayBilas
SJU's Orlando Sanchez held accountable for three minutes by NCAA: http://nyti.ms/Xsz3US  NCAA Prez not accountable for three years. Wow.

bk8664

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2013, 03:40:25 PM »
Bilas;

“@JayBilas: SJU's Orlando Sanchez held accountable for three minutes by NCAA: http://nyti.ms/Xsz3US NCAA Prez not accountable for three years. Wow.”

Love this quote.

« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2013, 05:18:05 PM »
Seems by the letter of the law he would be ineligible but since the rule allows for mitigating circumstances why the heck couldn't the ncaa show some compassion and just grant him the waiver and give him one stinking year of eligibility. Also, just a question-reading the Times and Post articles nowhere did I see mention of both his parents passing away and Orlando having to work to support his family like I believe i have read on our boards. Anyone have any more definitive info?

paultzman

« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2013, 07:05:31 PM »
PR machine cranking on;
“@STJCoachLavin: Orlando is as gifted a player as I’ve coached in my career. He's comfortable playing 4 positions. A very special talent and person. #stjbb”

“@STJCoachLavin: Orlando's personal story is a compelling one and the degree of adversity he's  overcome will serve to inspire others. #stjbb”

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »
Like I say, listen to yoda.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

crgreen

« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2013, 08:26:05 PM »
Latest

Didn't have to go to court to get the Shabazz Muhammad case resolved.

Poison

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »
Latest

Didn't have to go to court to get the Shabazz Muhammad case resolved.

UCLA is the Yankees of college basketball. St.John's is the Mets. No one respects or fears anything we would do.

Starting in late February to bring an attorney into this just goes to prove that St.John's had no plan all along.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:53:20 PM by Poison »

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2013, 09:24:56 PM »
SJU will never sue the NCAA. The consequences are too severe long term even if it wins. Sanchez could. But it will take years to resolve--he does not have the time to see it to conclusion. It will also take legal fees. SJU can't pay those fees for a student. If Sanchez gets the funds from a third party, that raises eligibility issues of its own. So the only course is what Orr is doing. Media pressure (which is already happening), rational arguments, equity, cajoling and subtle not explicit threats to sue. The deck is stacked against the player and the school. Even if Sanchez sued and won a preliminary  injunction allowing him to play pending a trial on the merits down the road--years down the road the way our trial system works---the school can't take the chance and allow him to play because if the trial ultimately  goes against Sanchez, and he is ruled ineligible, SJU would forfeit all its wins and all the revenues it gained during the games Sanchez played. Those are the facts.

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2013, 09:26:28 PM »
For the reasons stated above, criticizing SJU for not having a plan all along, etc, simply reflects a lack of understanding about how the process and dynamic works.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2013, 10:37:03 PM »
Jay Bilas has been raging on the NCAA and the NCAA President recently. Earlier last week he was on Mike and Mike blasting them.
Cougar O' Malley

Tiznow

« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2013, 12:19:51 AM »
Next will be Joe Nocera taking up the cause.  This story will not go away.  The NCAA will look as bad as they have with the Miami case.  Are they just plain stupid?

« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2013, 06:01:37 AM »
For all the lawyers on the board, what grounds do you think they would sue under? My initial thought is maybe an age discrimination suit in that the rule sets an makes an age-based distinction (i.e. over 21 versus under 21). Karl Towns Jr. won"t lose a year of eligibility but Sanchez will merely because of his age.

paultzman

« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2013, 08:48:22 AM »
"St. John’s tomorrow will submit information prepared by Orr to the NCAA case officer handling Sanchez’s case, Jessica Harbison Weaver, who will present it for a staff review. If the NCAA doesn’t waive the bylaw, Orr and St. John’s have one last appeal to an NCAA subcommittee."

"Weaver did not return a phone call. Orr said he expected the NCAA to decide on the case by the beginning of March."

"Orr knows the NCAA — which has suffered a laundry list of public relations disasters recently, including a memo from presidents of the Mountain West Conference questioning the association’s leadership — has bigger problems than prohibiting Sanchez from playing next season."

“Frankly, and I hope the NCAA understands this,” Orr said, “a great young man [is] being shafted by what I would say is a bad rule being improperly applied. If anybody needs good publicity and good PR, it’s the NCAA.’’

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/lawyer_letl_sanchez_play_iiXQiHJJzQ98WhyGtHBSDJ
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:49:21 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2013, 09:48:49 AM »
law suit by Sanchez could be based on antrust laws

Poison

« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2013, 09:51:55 AM »
Next will be Joe Nocera taking up the cause.  This story will not go away.  The NCAA will look as bad as they have with the Miami case.  Are they just plain stupid?

They are not stupid at all. They know exactly what they're doing.