St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8

• 507 replies
Re: St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8
« Reply #300 on: November 08, 2013, 09:47:13 PM »
Bo ryan is my favorite coach and one of the best coaches on any level. Give him Duke recruits he has more national championship than coach k. He makes 3 stars look like 5 stars! I dont really see any improvement on offense or defense from this team. Starting to realize Max maybe just a 3 point contest shooter. Cant wait to see more of him to prove my premature doubts wrong. When will foxsports 1 get an app already big ten network app held me down tonight at work!
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Chilleb

« Reply #301 on: November 08, 2013, 09:48:50 PM »
real slow start the story to this game along with Wisc hitting double digit 3's. how often is that going to happen? you live and die by them and tonight bo ryan and company lived. we outscored them the rest of the way after going down 18.  we have to get out to a better start and tighten up some on defense and we will be just fine. hey .. all the more reason to come out and cream cuse on 12/15. would you rather the loss to a good team now or in february or march. we will have no trouble scoring this season. future looks bright, gotta take the good with the bad

goredmen

« Reply #302 on: November 08, 2013, 09:49:51 PM »
Lavin hates white people

That's bull.
He makes the Wisconsin players look good :)

Remember SAN FRAN kid and Baylor jump shooter last year

Don't forget about arcidiacono

« Reply #303 on: November 08, 2013, 09:54:47 PM »
The biggest problem with our defense is our inability to not jump at ball fakes and reach out on the perimeter. Gift and especially Obekpa should never guard a guy close up more than 15 feet away from the hoop. It's the dumbest thing in the world.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #304 on: November 08, 2013, 09:56:57 PM »
I'm really happy that Lavin has our program back in the spotlight. He's done a lot of great things for this program. I know it's just one game, but I think it's more than fair to call out Lavin as a coach is often unprepared.

We played right into their hands from tip off. We knew what their game plan was. Lavin should know that his is by now, and if he doesn't someone needs to tell him and then teach him how to make one.

The hot seat officially starts now.

« Reply #305 on: November 08, 2013, 10:00:28 PM »
Disappointing especially early on where this game was lost.  Cannot fall behind 33-15 to a team like Wisconsin.  They are good and they are deliberate making every possession count.  Much too difficult to come back because the style of play is just not conducive to that type of comeback.

Negatives:

1) Falling behind early.  Again it is a recurring theme going back to last year.  Even in the wins against weaker teams they repeatedly fell behind early.  They struggle early.  Need to be on it from the get go.  That is all Lavin.
2) Defense.  I would have like to see them push it early with some half court or even full court.  Make Wisconsin put it on the floor as opposed t sitting back and watching them dictate with dribble drives.  They shoot it too well.  Also couple of times and the commentators mentioned this they helped in the post unnecessarily leaving point blank 3 point shots open.  Leave Sampson and Obekpa in the post alone, no need to double all the time.  Killer 3 at 61-54 when Obekpa had the guy one on one in the post with no need for help, help comes, ball kicked out and 3 ball makes it 64-54.  Ball game.

Positives:
1) The athleticism is off the charts.  It will come together later in the year.  But no doubt this loss was a missed opportunity.  But more lie in the future.

What I want to see going forward:
1) Blow out these weaker teams going forward from here thru to the Barclays.  Jump on them early and put your foot on their throat.  Get use to teams having to chase you.
2) More importantly no more losses until the Cuse game on 12/15.  They lose between now and then and that is disappointing. 

Chilleb

« Reply #306 on: November 08, 2013, 10:07:23 PM »
just FYI.. jon severe in his college debut has 25 points on 8/13 shooting with 5 threes in the second half with 11 minutes to go....

TONYD3

« Reply #307 on: November 08, 2013, 10:08:56 PM »
Tonight the part normally played by Steve Lavin will be played by Brian Mahoney.
What has lavin done better then Mahoney ?

« Reply #308 on: November 08, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »
just FYI.. jon severe in his college debut has 25 points on 8/13 shooting with 5 threes in the second half with 11 minutes to go....

I'm watching it too but I think you would agree playing St Francis (PA) at Rose Hill is a bit different then playing Wisconsin in the middle of South Dakota...LOL!!!

« Reply #309 on: November 08, 2013, 10:10:29 PM »

I'm watching it too but I think you would agree playing St Francis (PA) at Rose Hill is a bit different then playing Wisconsin in the middle of South Dakota...LOL!!!

Baskets are the same height

paultzman

« Reply #310 on: November 08, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »
@CBTonNBC: 11 threes, reserve Duje Dukan spark No. 21 Wisconsin to 86-75 win over St. John's http://t.co/jxd7G1tPo5

Chilleb

« Reply #311 on: November 08, 2013, 10:11:10 PM »

Agreed, but still.. Just saying....

« Reply #312 on: November 08, 2013, 10:11:44 PM »
 A reasonable question to ask is, if the talent level is as advertised and i truly believe  there is individual talent at a high level. Why does this team show little or no improvement in terms of basic basketball fundamentals?

I'm beginning to worry that Lavin, while a great recruiter, is not up to Coaching at the level necessary. I hope I'm wrong because Steve is great for our school but, he needs to have his team show improvement this year.

Tonight's game was not the good start we all wanted.. At some point, these players and Coaches will have to show they can beat good teams consistently, not occasionally.

« Reply #313 on: November 08, 2013, 10:12:23 PM »
Tonight the part normally played by Steve Lavin will be played by Brian Mahoney.

Nicer hair?

« Reply #314 on: November 08, 2013, 10:12:44 PM »

So just remember the Brian Mahoney line when he wins games as well.

Just like when Mike Krzyzewski loses a game he is not suddenly Bill Foster.

« Reply #315 on: November 08, 2013, 10:12:54 PM »
Minus the shaky first half, which is known to happen in game #1 on the year, I thought we played well. They hit big 3's when they needed too, but I honestly saw in the second half, what I think we will see all season long.

I'm not worried one bit.

« Reply #316 on: November 08, 2013, 10:17:21 PM »
A reasonable question to ask is, if the talent level is as advertised and i truly believe  there is individual talent at a high level. Why does this team show little or no improvement in terms of basic basketball fundamentals?

I'm beginning to worry that Lavin, while a great recruiter, is not up to Coaching at the level necessary. I hope I'm wrong because Steve is great for our school but, he needs to have his team show improvement this year.

Tonight's game was not the good start we all wanted.. At some point, these players and Coaches will have to show they can beat good teams consistently, not occasionally.

They played 1 game for crying out loud.  I agree they could played better but they were an underdog against a program that went to 14 straight NCAA's. 

Would you prefer them to open against Columbia at home and won by 25.  OK. 

The frustration lies with the fact that they have not gone to the NCAA's since 2011.   I get it.  So every loss is going to be dissected as if the world ended and they didn't improve?  Come on.  My point is they are not going to erase the bad taste after the last couple of years in 1 night, win or lose, so stop asking and making dumb posts after 1 game against a difficult opponent.

Poison

« Reply #317 on: November 08, 2013, 10:20:47 PM »

They played 1 game for crying out loud.  I agree they could played better but they were an underdog against a program that went to 14 straight NCAA's. 

The frustration lies with the fact that they have not gone to the NCAA's since 2011.   I get it.  So every loss is going to be dissected as if the world ended and they didn't improve?  Come on.  My point is they are not going to erase the bad taste after the last couple of years in 1 night, win or lose, so stop asking and making dumb posts after 1 game against a difficult opponent.

It's not the loss that is frustrating. We came out unprepared. That's coaching.

« Reply #318 on: November 08, 2013, 10:23:42 PM »

Oh everybody says that when you lose and another team plays well.  It can never be that the other team plays well it has to be "you're unprepared."

It is just a ready made excuse to say if SJU got beat bad early on. 

Poison

« Reply #319 on: November 08, 2013, 10:25:43 PM »

Oh everybody says that when you lose and another team plays well.  It can never be that the other team plays well it has to be "you're unprepared."

It is just a ready made excuse to say if SJU got beat bad early on. 

Tell me, what was our gameplan tonight?