St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8

• 507 replies
Re: St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8
« Reply #280 on: November 08, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »
Refs seemed to get tighter right after the sanchez foul down low. I could sense the change in the refs right there. On a good note , jordan is the real deal and can penetrate at will. I can really seem him taking a lot of branches minutes.

« Reply #281 on: November 08, 2013, 09:27:10 PM »
Giving up 80 to Wisconsin is as embarrassing as it gets...

They are a top 20 team...

...that averages 62 ppg for the last 15 seasons

Right, but then we should get tons of credit for scoring 75 against them, no?

Sure.. I'm not worried about the offense..  Defense and rebounding is what worries me.

Sure offense will be fine as long as Harrison and Sampson combine for 45 every night. Who else impressed you? Primo Subs? Jason Kidd jr? Marco Hooper?

« Reply #282 on: November 08, 2013, 09:27:23 PM »
Offense actually looked great in the second half all things considered. Couldn't get the big stop or rebound. Daggers
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #283 on: November 08, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »
The game coaching sucked donkey dykkk.  No way should any team rain eleven or twelve unchallenged threes on anyone.  How come other teams can defend our three point shooters? 

We have so many good players thanks to the kind of coaching that improves the talent.  With that talent, we should be pressing the entire game.

That being said, the game started out as a blatant ref job.  These so called "pros refs" never heard of continuation?  We lost four points that way on their incompetence.  They called touch fouls on us and let Wisconsin's go  That gave us a big hill to climb.

One more frustration, how many layups and teardrops do we have to miss?

paultzman

« Reply #284 on: November 08, 2013, 09:30:05 PM »

Exactly. Please accept we played a lousy, disappointing game, especially on defense. Top 25 team or not, I thought we had players to easily compete with these guys.  We failed to compete tonight. Without a well oiled offense, how can you play such poor D & expect to do well. Early, but concerning.

I do accept, but can we not pretend its "as embarrassing as it gets" to lose to a top 20 team. It's not like we got blown out. We have a lot to improve on, but man, the debbie downers are out in full force after one game.

Let's just agree it was a poor performance on Defense that must be addressed, top 20 team or not.

boo3

« Reply #285 on: November 08, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »

Sure.. I'm not worried about the offense..  Defense and rebounding is what worries me.

Sure offense will be fine as long as Harrison and Sampson combine for 45 every night. Who else impressed you? Primo Subs? Jason Kidd jr? Marco Hooper?

sigh.... Tonight, no one else impressed me.. That's what I said.. I think Sanchez, Jordan, and Pointer will be better in the future, or do you expect them to do nothing the rest of the way?

« Reply #286 on: November 08, 2013, 09:30:27 PM »
Same offense as last year. Sampson and Harrison made shots. Only one game, but in that one game I did not see a lot to like. Don't get me wrong. I predicted 20 wins and bubble team. I  still think that, just hoped I would see more. Pointer had terrible game and I expect him to be better and was Kidd jr's first game and he gets a pass as well.

bk8664

« Reply #287 on: November 08, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »

I said it before and I’ll say it again, I think this will our toughest matchup until the NCAAs. For a couple of reasons:

1)   Wisconsin is absolutely killer with these threes and their discipline. We probably won’t see a team shoot as well as them all year long.

2)   Coach will have figured out his lineups very soon. The double point-guard line-up is a waste. We wasted possessions and points just on that. Jordan has to be the starting point, he can simply penetrate/create; Branch is not as good as him at that. Jordan has to get the preponderance of the point-guard minutes. I really hope coach doesn’t mess around. Jordan has certain elite skills. Get him in the game.

3)   I think (I really hope) Coach will learn his lesson and kill off this zone defense. We don’t execute it well. Just go with man to man. I’m really disappointed the coaches even dared Wisconsin with their zone defense. That was a huge mistake. This game will light a fire under the team to play better D.

4)   Sanchez was virtually eliminated from this game except for about 3 or 4 plays because of foul trouble. You can see why he’s a pretty darn good player. Even the announcers themselves said that the NBA scouts are interested in this guy. He can play. Very versatile.

Despite us losing, I think our team is going to be pretty good this year.

As a side note: Announcers on TV were good.

We can kill the zone, but then what? We don't play man to man defense any better.  I asked about an identity for this team. A POV on offense and defense. Lavin has neither. He may figure that out. I hope he does, but why after the trip to Europe and a long break since early March, have we come out like it was our first game?

for sure our D was disappointed. especially after the europe trip.   I just don't know why we even try to break out the zone against a top-flight three points shooting team that also happens to be very well disciplined.    Coaches just need to focus on improving the man to man Defense.  They probably have too many things to focus on in practice.     Just make it simple on D, work there tails on that and that's it.  There is no other solution. They can't resurrect the zone D at this point.

« Reply #288 on: November 08, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »
I thought the refs called the fouls evenly.  It's just to our disadvantage when the opposition shoots free throws better than we do.  I agree with you (Newsman) about the lost points on continuations.

boo3

« Reply #289 on: November 08, 2013, 09:31:38 PM »
 Our offense was fine.  Its the defense.  If that's not clear to you,  the discussion is pointless.

« Reply #290 on: November 08, 2013, 09:32:32 PM »

sigh.... Tonight, no one else impressed me.. That's what I said.. I think Sanchez, Jordan, and Pointer will be better in the future, or do you expect them to do nothing the rest of the way?

Sanchez I think will be a fine complimentary player and Pointer will be fine. I only saw Jordan play one game, so I have no idea.

« Reply #291 on: November 08, 2013, 09:33:19 PM »
We should stop playing the matchup zone and, instead, play a switching man.

boo3

« Reply #292 on: November 08, 2013, 09:34:06 PM »
 Jordan looked like he could get into the lane whenever he wanted.  Got in some foul trouble, and was a bit tentative. 

It was clear to me that he is a legit talent and will help immensely.

« Reply #293 on: November 08, 2013, 09:34:51 PM »

I hate zone. However, they constantly turn their heads and jump at every fake. I understand why we play zone, we would actually be a worse man team

boo3

« Reply #294 on: November 08, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »

I hate zone. However, they constantly turn their heads and jump at every fake. I understand why we play zone, we would actually be a worse man team

we stink at both...It was proven tonight.

« Reply #295 on: November 08, 2013, 09:37:25 PM »
Jordan looked like he could get into the lane whenever he wanted.  Got in some foul trouble, and was a bit tentative. 

Yeah reminded me of Jason Kidd.
Will give him time, Looked like a raw frosh with athletic ability. JKidd quote was pretty stupid though
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 09:37:49 PM by we are sju »

Moose

« Reply #296 on: November 08, 2013, 09:38:02 PM »
Lavin hates white people

That's bull.
He makes the Wisconsin players look good :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #297 on: November 08, 2013, 09:39:11 PM »

Will give him time, Looked like a raw frosh with athletic ability. JKidd quote was pretty stupid though

I don't even know what your talking about... I'll assume its funny though.

« Reply #298 on: November 08, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »
Lavin hates white people

That's bull.
He makes the Wisconsin players look good :)

Remember SAN FRAN kid and Baylor jump shooter last year

« Reply #299 on: November 08, 2013, 09:41:56 PM »

I don't even know what your talking about... I'll assume its funny though.

Don't read the Post? Lavin said Jordan best passer he has ever seen Jason kidd was second. So now he has called better than Baron Davis and Jason Kidd. Oscar Robertson and Magic up next?