St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8

• 507 replies

SJUFAN

Re: St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8
« Reply #440 on: November 11, 2013, 07:23:57 PM »
We lost by 11 points to team replacing their 3 best players.

Yet they still have more shooters than we do and is ranked higher than we are. So the fact they're replacing 3 players doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:42:30 PM by SJUFAN »

boo3

« Reply #441 on: November 11, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
 Almost to a man on here, before the season started,, everyone said this is the season that we need to see results.  Meaning , a NCAA bid with a decent seed, and at minimum, one tourney win.

We are now one game into the season, a loss to a tough Wisco team, and the negative nancies are already crying about a failure in coaching and how the season is going to go down the tubes.   

So now we have the cranky old time fans  vs the "kool-aide " drinkers... After one game..  Get a hold of yourselves.   Put me in the koolaid category if you must.. But go back and read anything I've said on Lavin and the team.. This is the season he needs to prove it.  SEASON... not game, not two games..It's not even Thanksgiving and some of you fools are already getting your hemorrhoids to act up again.

Choz  had it right...

It's embarrassing...  Really.

Poison

« Reply #442 on: November 11, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »

Yet they still have more shooters than we do and is ranked higher than we are. So the fact they're replacing 3 players doesn't matter.

I understand that. But shouldn't it matter that we're returning everyone and adding 2 "NBA" players?

« Reply #443 on: November 11, 2013, 08:25:54 PM »

I understand that. But shouldn't it matter that we're returning everyone and adding 2 "NBA" players?
2? The other has us with 5! Lavin has much better talent than we showed vs Wisconsin. Next real test is the Cuse-let's see what happens. Than Miss  St or maybe G Tech and than  the BE. Jury still out.

« Reply #444 on: November 11, 2013, 10:01:07 PM »
Almost to a man on here, before the season started,, everyone said this is the season that we need to see results.  Meaning , a NCAA bid with a decent seed, and at minimum, one tourney win.

We are now one game into the season, a loss to a tough Wisco team, and the negative nancies are already crying about a failure in coaching and how the season is going to go down the tubes.   

So now we have the cranky old time fans  vs the "kool-aide " drinkers... After one game..  Get a hold of yourselves.   Put me in the koolaid category if you must.. But go back and read anything I've said on Lavin and the team.. This is the season he needs to prove it.  SEASON... not game, not two games..It's not even Thanksgiving and some of you fools are already getting your hemorrhoids to act up again.

Choz  had it right...

+1. Wish choz would come back.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #445 on: November 11, 2013, 10:14:18 PM »

Choz  had it right...

Great post. Before the season I would bet most of the negative nancies had us losing to Wisconsin anyway. So they are just complaining to hear themselves complain. I have also said that this is the year Lavin needs to prove it. But overreacting after one game is just stupid. I'm just eagerly awaiting the first "Official Fire Lavin" thread.

MCNPA

« Reply #446 on: November 12, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »

2? The other has us with 5! Lavin has much better talent than we showed vs Wisconsin. Next real test is the Cuse-let's see what happens. Than Miss  St or maybe G Tech and than  the BE. Jury still out.

We actually did outplay Wisconsin down the stretch and almost tied the game.  They then made a small run and kept it out of reach with fouls.  We just started too slow, and went down way to far.  Thy started the game with hot shooting, and it took most of the first half until they cooled off.   We did improve a lot down the stretch both on defense and offense.  Sampson picked up his game as did Harrison.  We also didn't hsve s very good shooting day so we took it to the hoop more and hurt them inside. 

Once again, not the way we wanted to come out the gate, but not at all a Harbinger for a terrible season.  I still think we will be very good this season.  We lost to a favored team.  In addition, they weren't really replacing 3 players.  Gasser was a starter for them last year before injury. 

Our two new players will pay dividends.  Rysheed was playing in his first ever college game.  Sanchez had a handful of points and was playing well before 3 early fouls.  The game didn't come together for us because we didn't give 40 good minutes.  We will get there.

« Reply #447 on: November 12, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »
AS AL use to say close counts only in hand grenades and slow dancing

« Reply #448 on: November 12, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »
AS AL use to say close counts only in hand grenades and slow dancing
And to some St. John's fans who live on so called moral victories.

« Reply #449 on: November 12, 2013, 09:20:18 PM »
You really have to respect Bo Ryan and Wisconsin in terms of scheduling this year.  After opening with SJU they have Florida at home and then they finish up their non-conference with a 3 game stretch of St. Louis, @Virginia and their traditional intra-state rivalry game against Marquette.

« Reply #450 on: November 12, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »
You really have to respect Bo Ryan and Wisconsin in terms of scheduling this year.  After opening with SJU they have Florida at home and then they finish up their non-conference with a 3 game stretch of St. Louis, @Virginia and their traditional intra-state rivalry game against Marquette.
Good post Fordham. Then they have what should be a pretty tough BIG 10 schedule. Some of our fans said we shouldn't have scheduled Wisconsin because their style made it a tough match up for us but these games are what help prepare you for all kinds of styles that you may end up facing in the NCAA. Heck we may even face Wis again.

MCNPA

« Reply #451 on: November 12, 2013, 11:06:58 PM »
Wisconsin up 4 with a little over a minute left vs number 11 Florida.  That Billy Donovan is effing terrible...

MCNPA

« Reply #452 on: November 12, 2013, 11:20:02 PM »
Fwiw, Wisconsin just beat Florida.  Looks like they'll move up the polls. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #453 on: November 12, 2013, 11:41:22 PM »
Wisconsin up 4 with a little over a minute left vs number 11 Florida.  That Billy Donovan is effing terrible...

The Gators have 3 seniors starting with a freshman Mcdonald's All American and they let Wisconsin shoot 45% from 3 and out rebound them. He is terrible! It was clear they should have pressed them, oh wait, they did. I mean what was their game plan? It's clear they were unprepared. lol!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:50:24 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #454 on: November 13, 2013, 12:23:09 AM »
Fire Billy Donovan! Clearly a terrible tactician. Because that is the only explanation when a team loses a game against a ranked opponent.

Poison

« Reply #455 on: November 13, 2013, 12:39:00 AM »
Fire Billy Donovan! Clearly a terrible tactician. Because that is the only explanation when a team loses a game against a ranked opponent.

At least Florida hustled.

« Reply #456 on: November 13, 2013, 12:46:23 AM »

You mean as opposed to coming back to outscore Wisconsin after a 33-15 deficit, coming as close as 4 late in the 2nd half?

MCNPA

« Reply #457 on: November 13, 2013, 02:29:11 AM »

That is bs.  We hustled plenty.  We just did play well enough in the first half to come back.  Florida lost a huge lead to Wisconsin, and it wasn't due to lack of hustle.  Give Wisconsin their due.  They are a pretty good and disciplined team that can really shoot the ball.  We almost came back to beat the, after a dreadful first half. 

Poison

« Reply #458 on: November 13, 2013, 08:17:55 AM »

That is bs.  We hustled plenty.  We just did play well enough in the first half to come back.  Florida lost a huge lead to Wisconsin, and it wasn't due to lack of hustle.  Give Wisconsin their due.  They are a pretty good and disciplined team that can really shoot the ball.  We almost came back to beat the, after a dreadful first half. 

We didn't get after it enough. We let the game come to us. Way too casual of an attitude. Hopefully, they've learned to cut that crap out for good. You can't be caught getting outplayed and out hustled. So far, in 3 games, we've pulled this "BS" twice.

bk8664

« Reply #459 on: November 13, 2013, 08:27:17 AM »

We didn't get after it enough. We let the game come to us. Way too casual of an attitude. Hopefully, they've learned to cut that crap out for good. You can't be caught getting outplayed and out hustled. So far, in 3 games, we've pulled this "BS" twice.

I don't think their problem is a lack of hustle.   It's poor execution of defensive plan or tactics.  Not hustle.  Those kids want it out there. You can tell they were upset when down.  Definitely not hustle.