St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8

• 507 replies

boo3

Re: St. John's vs Wisconsin 11/8
« Reply #420 on: November 11, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »
I am not saying we should fire lavin, BUT we play Syracuse next month. Not saying he has to win . We we better show up

Why would you even insinuate that a non-conference game in December could be a must-win game?   

Because people are crazy

desco80

« Reply #421 on: November 11, 2013, 12:35:44 PM »
I am not saying we should fire lavin, BUT we play Syracuse next month. Not saying he has to win . We we better show up

Why would you even insinuate that a non-conference game in December could be a must-win game?   

Because people are crazy

Apparently.   

It looks like our season will be determined in conference play, and I think that's as it should be.    If we win our conference games and do well in the conf tournament we'll make the NCAAs with a decent seed; regardless of what we do against Wisconsin and Syracuse.

And, there is no doubt in my mind that coach has earned this season.  This is what he's been building for, and there is certainly talent on the roster.  It's silly to cast broad judgments after 1 game.    Let's see what he's been able to accomplish when all is said and done. 

And again, I stress the point that Wisconsin is ranked by the coaches, the media, and was favored by the odds makers.   We were supposed to lose this game.   How can the sky be falling if this was a game we were underdogs in? 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:36:42 PM by desco80 »

Poison

« Reply #422 on: November 11, 2013, 01:15:34 PM »

Because people are crazy

There are NO must win games in November or December. However, if we come out in Nov playing like we have for the majority of the last 20+ years, I think the Garden box office will take a noticeable hit, and expectations that were once hyped to a truly crazy standard will again be met with embarrassment.

If you want to talk crazy, start with Bourgault being a better shooter than Jason Kapono, and Rysheed Jordan being a better passer than Baron Davis. Delusional is actually a better word for it. I actually don't think even Lavin believes any of this crap. It's the hype machine at work.

Tha Kid

« Reply #423 on: November 11, 2013, 01:59:33 PM »
Why did we play wisconsin? Why did we play that team from n. California a few years ago to start the season? Makes no sense to me. We match up so poorly to them why schedule them? We could have played a similar team from the sec or acc where our style of play would not have so exposed.
Positives- harrison and Sampson still have 2 more years of eligibility

Yeah it was HORRIBLE we played St. Mary's and lost to them in 2010-11.  Just think, if we hadn't played them , we may have gotten the 5 seed rather than the 6.  You and posters like you are unbelievable...Lavin likes to test his teams early and I am completely behind that.  Who cares if we lose a tough neutral site or road game early?  More likely to be a learning experience that we will benefit from later on (and we did in 2010-11)....
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #424 on: November 11, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »
Bottom line is the team has been awful for over a decade. Lavin came here and had success his first season has recruited well but we keep losing. Patience it not going to be high for fan base. Understandable.
For me the loss was not as alrming as was the fact that we looked exactly the same as the year before. Again only one game so have to give Jordan and Sanchez some time to help out Harrison / Sampson

Tha Kid

« Reply #425 on: November 11, 2013, 02:15:10 PM »

Because people are crazy

There are NO must win games in November or December. However, if we come out in Nov playing like we have for the majority of the last 20+ years, I think the Garden box office will take a noticeable hit, and expectations that were once hyped to a truly crazy standard will again be met with embarrassment.

If you want to talk crazy, start with Bourgault being a better shooter than Jason Kapono, and Rysheed Jordan being a better passer than Baron Davis. Delusional is actually a better word for it. I actually don't think even Lavin believes any of this crap. It's the hype machine at work.

Is it his fault for spinning it, or your fault for believing it year after year when your eyes tell you something different?  I'm not suggesting we aren't as good as Lavin claims, all I'm suggesting is I keep myself pretty even about the prospects of St. John's basketball until I see things change.  I'm optimistic they will, but I am not expecting it like you certainly seemed to be...

TONYD3

« Reply #426 on: November 11, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »
I am crazy. For the last few months all I have read is that we have an experienced amazingly talented team who is sweet 16 bound. Wisconsin is a good team not great. If we don't show up against Syracuse, You guys think that is a good sign?
Not a must win . But we must be completive
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 02:20:02 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #427 on: November 11, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »
They don't play as a team. None of them.

May well turn out to be the case.  Hopefully not.  But this conclusion can't be drawn after one game.

Tha Kid

« Reply #428 on: November 11, 2013, 02:27:44 PM »
I am crazy. For the last few months all I have read is that we have an experienced amazingly talented team who is sweet 16 bound. Wisconsin is a good team not great. If we don't show up against Syracuse, You guys think that is a good sign?
Not a must win . But we must be completive

Wisconsin is top 25.  We are not.  Why would you think they are a good team not great but we are sweet 16 bound?  Perhaps you should consider where you are reading your info more...some crazy fan on our site saying we are a lock for sweet 16 is not "unbiased" for example.  I could also give you a ton of examples of teams that did well end of year into tourney but not beginning...and vice versa.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 02:28:29 PM by Tha Kid »

« Reply #429 on: November 11, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
Funny, we have people who had crazy expectations, probably so they could bitch when they weren't met. The sad thing is my hopes for the program are simply to get in as a 7,8,9,10 seed and get knocked out of the 1st round. Find me a coach that can get me a 1st round tourney loss 7 out of every 10 years and I will be one happy SJU fan. Sadly since Louie retired no coach can even meet my lowly criteria.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 02:30:38 PM by we are sju »

bk8664

« Reply #430 on: November 11, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »

Or else......what?

« Reply #431 on: November 11, 2013, 03:20:36 PM »

Or else......what?

Disband the program...

You people are coocoo for Cocoa Puffs...

« Reply #432 on: November 11, 2013, 05:28:02 PM »
I don't post very often but I do read every word on this site.  Enough, already!  We played a game that maybe we COULD have won.  That in itself is a big accomplishment.  These are kids playing their hearts out for the program.  With a few tweaks we should be a lot better.  Hopefully the players AND the coaches learned enough to improve and go forward.    There really wasn't that much of a difference between winning and losing this game...some early nervousness, a never before played in arena, a top 20 team, new rules on fouls etc..  Give these kids a chance to prove themselves.  Don't forget that they read these boards also and can't be very happy with what they are reading.

TONYD3

« Reply #433 on: November 11, 2013, 05:33:41 PM »
I was really bored On my day off. Maybe I went to far.

jr49

« Reply #434 on: November 11, 2013, 05:58:46 PM »
Our guys came out soft. Five minutes in the game was over. It's not this board the team should be concerned with, it's showing up for Wagner. Wisconsin is not a rugged team. They gonna get ruffed up plenty in Big 10 play.

« Reply #435 on: November 11, 2013, 06:04:29 PM »
I don't post very often but I do read every word on this site.  Enough, already!  We played a game that maybe we COULD have won.  That in itself is a big accomplishment.  These are kids playing their hearts out for the program.  With a few tweaks we should be a lot better.  Hopefully the players AND the coaches learned enough to improve and go forward.    There really wasn't that much of a difference between winning and losing this game...some early nervousness, a never before played in arena, a top 20 team, new rules on fouls etc..  Give these kids a chance to prove themselves.  Don't forget that they read these boards also and can't be very happy with what they are reading.
And some of us aren't happy we have sucked for 12 of the last 13 years. Doubt the players read these boards, but in case they do than I say great job fellas, better luck next time. Happy? Problem is many of you accept mediocrity or less.

« Reply #436 on: November 11, 2013, 06:09:10 PM »
Don't back down! When we beat a few of the cupcakes the Yes Men will start beating their chests and say see we were right look how good we are then Cuse will clean our clocks and they will say what did you expect they are ranked. When will this program man up and pull an upset and I don't mean home game when we are slight dog like last year against the ND types.

Poison

« Reply #437 on: November 11, 2013, 07:14:42 PM »

I'm sorry, but you're dead wrong. If you're trying to tell us that it's an accomplishment that we could have won this game, I think that's a terrible attitude. It's a learning experience, and they can learn from it, and come out Friday a better team bec they've worked on what's needed, but in no way should STJ's consider this an accomplishment.

We have top ranked kids, experience and depth at every position. The sky isn't falling, but let's put the kool aid down. We lost by 11 points to team replacing their 3 best players.

Poison

« Reply #438 on: November 11, 2013, 07:16:31 PM »
Our guys came out soft. Five minutes in the game was over. It's not this board the team should be concerned with, it's showing up for Wagner. Wisconsin is not a rugged team. They gonna get ruffed up plenty in Big 10 play.

We'll see how Wisconsin does against Florida. They have some big dudes.

SJUFAN

« Reply #439 on: November 11, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
Don't back down! When we beat a few of the cupcakes the Yes Men will start beating their chests and say see we were right look how good we are then Cuse will clean our clocks and they will say what did you expect they are ranked. When will this program man up and pull an upset and I don't mean home game when we are slight dog like last year against the ND types.

This has been a dead program for the past decade, dead. We now have some relevance. I'm not satisfied with that, but its a process. Coach is bringing in the best players' he can and when there ship is up he will replace them with even better talent. There are some liabilities on the team that cannot be fixed with coaching. This is still only his third recruiting class, five years from now we will be a top ten team and a perennial top 25 program. Its a marathon not a sprint. I trust the abilities of the coaches and if I don't see something that I believe should be done I will give the coaches the benefit of doubt. They get paid a lot of money, they know more basketball than any of us. There is a reason something isn't happening and its not because the coaches didn't think of it.   
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:20:41 PM by SJUFAN »